are american workers worth at least $...
busy bee

Owensboro, KY

#22 Feb 16, 2013
Here's some interesting facts:

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/21/21...

Notice the average household income. Also, notice the percentage with a bachelor's degree. Only 85% over 25 graduated high school (I will assume that includes having your GED). What are the other 15% in Owensboro doing? Are they making minimum wage in retsil
busy bee

Owensboro, KY

#23 Feb 16, 2013
busy bee wrote:
Here's some interesting facts:
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/21/21...
Notice the average household income. Also, notice the percentage with a bachelor's degree. Only 85% over 25 graduated high school (I will assume that includes having your GED). What are the other 15% in Owensboro doing? Are they making minimum wage in retsil
That comment was posted before I finished typing.
Are the 15% making minimum wage in retail or fast food? Are they making more or are they working at all?
Level 1

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#24 Feb 16, 2013
Pull you head out, wages are connected with supply and demand like everything else. You raise the price, the demand falls off. Those that keep their jobs are lucky, many will lose them. Businesses won't be able to afford people for $9 an hour to flip a burger or mop a floor. There will be more stringent requirements for minimum wage jobs and the people that really need them, the elderly, teenagers, and impoverished will be severely disadvantaged. Look at the current situation with degree holders working minimum wage jobs, you can bet that will be become the norm if a huge pay hike comes.

The minimum wage hike is a political charade aimed at nothing but getting and maintaining votes. It certainly won't help the stagnant unemployment numbers or help the businesses that struggling. It's another government intervention that feels good but is divorced from the realities of economics that we're all subject to.

Judged:

10

10

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
catfish780

Owensboro, KY

#25 Feb 16, 2013
flounder779 wrote:
Pull you head out, wages are connected with supply and demand like everything else. You raise the price, the demand falls off. Those that keep their jobs are lucky, many will lose them. Businesses won't be able to afford people for $9 an hour to flip a burger or mop a floor. There will be more stringent requirements for minimum wage jobs and the people that really need them, the elderly, teenagers, and impoverished will be severely disadvantaged. Look at the current situation with degree holders working minimum wage jobs, you can bet that will be become the norm if a huge pay hike comes.
The minimum wage hike is a political charade aimed at nothing but getting and maintaining votes. It certainly won't help the stagnant unemployment numbers or help the businesses that struggling. It's another government intervention that feels good but is divorced from the realities of economics that we're all subject to.
Way to tow the party line! Rush Limbaugh and any random Fox News Channel actor couldn't have said it any better!
me again

Owensboro, KY

#26 Feb 16, 2013
share the wealth wrote:
Has anyone ever heard this phrase or has it all turned to greed?? The question shouldn't be is an American worker worth $9 an hour. It should be what is it worth to get a job done?? Here is an example. Take your vehicle to a shop to get repairs or maintenance done. The charges for the "labor" are greatly larger that the cost of the part required for that repair. Ok now think about a two hour minimum charge for that repair. It takes the mechanic 20 minute and you're charged two hours labor. The individual performing the repair gets paid by the hour. Lets say $9 an hour for working at that shop. Think about it that way and ask yourself. Who is screwing who here? I understand the aspects of a business and paying the overhead. Workers comp, insurance, employee wages, taxes, permits, business license and maintenance to keep a shop going and understand those expenses aren't cheap. I also understand the get an education or skills to get a better job. Ok that costs tons of money also. Money that alot of people can't afford therefore we don't have much of a choice but to take whatever job we can find. I'm not saying I want shit given to me either. I have always worked and earned everything I ever had in life. When gas was $.75 a gallon minimum wage was about $3.35 an hour. Ok gas being well over $3 an hour shouldn't minimum wage be at least $9 an hour? Do the ecenomical math. Any dummy can figure that one out.
The issue isn't whether a dummy can figure it out. It's whether he can figure it out ecenomically. Or is that spelled comically?

When gas was 75 cents, cars guzzled it more. And workers didn't spend all their money on gas anyway.

Instead of raising the minimum wage, we should subsidize minimum wage jobs. Something like the earned income credit, but more. Not just more money, but also more frequently than once per year. Every minimum wage paycheck could include an extra $3 per hour from the government. Republicans will accuse that of being a communist idea, but how much more so is it than a minimum wage at all? My idea would help the economy more than a minimum wage hike would, because the employer wouldn't have to take it into account when hiring more workers. And in fact a lot of employers would hire more because they would perceive it as a bargain for them.

But one big problem with my idea is that it would make it harder for workers to convince their bosses to ever hike their wages above minimum wage. Are there any better solutions, that would solve the problem better? Maybe Jesse could suggest some kind of government program.
heh

United States

#27 Feb 16, 2013
catfish780 wrote:
<quoted text>
Way to tow the party line! Rush Limbaugh and any random Fox News Channel actor couldn't have said it any better!
In other words, you don't have an intelligent response so you'll just mumble something about a news channel. Lol.
Shaggy

Owensboro, KY

#28 Feb 16, 2013
heh wrote:
<quoted text>In other words, you don't have an intelligent response so you'll just mumble something about a news channel. Lol.
That's standard for people on this site.
Shaggy

Owensboro, KY

#29 Feb 16, 2013
heh wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, you don't have an intelligent response so you'll just mumble something about a news channel. Lol.
Yet, catfish's sarcastic response was much more intelligent your party wanting to continue your failed trickle down economic policies that flounder was describing.
heh

United States

#30 Feb 16, 2013
Shaggy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet, catfish's sarcastic response was much more intelligent your party wanting to continue your failed trickle down economic policies that flounder was describing.
Have you ever gotten a job from a poor man? Go ahead and prove that trickle up works. Maybe some panhandler could use an assistant or something. And btw, I'm a registered independent, you mush-brained simpleton.
Those Silly Neocons

Owensboro, KY

#31 Feb 16, 2013
heh wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever gotten a job from a poor man? Go ahead and prove that trickle up works. Maybe some panhandler could use an assistant or something. And btw, I'm a registered independent, you mush-brained simpleton.
How ironic that you use the Rush Limbaugh coined phase about getting jobs then claim you're an independent. Feel free to go ahead and prove how trickle down has worked, beside leading to the biggest pay to cost of living discrepancies for the middle class in history. Too bad your frustration at having no facts to support your false premise of trickle up has made you resort to name calling. Truely a "mush-brained simpleton" response.
right

Owensboro, KY

#32 Feb 16, 2013
alivia wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with you to a point but i mean the way prices on everything has gone up even 9 an hour is not a whole lot really.
And if the Minimum Wage is raised again, prices will rise again. Places will have to raise prices (or lay workers off) to afford to pay the increased wage. It's a vicious cycle.
HR Rep

Calvert City, KY

#33 Feb 16, 2013
You have to start somewhere!!! People often forget you have to work to get what you want!!!!!!
heh

United States

#34 Feb 16, 2013
Those Silly Neocons wrote:
<quoted text>
How ironic that you use the Rush Limbaugh coined phase about getting jobs then claim you're an independent. Feel free to go ahead and prove how trickle down has worked, beside leading to the biggest pay to cost of living discrepancies for the middle class in history. Too bad your frustration at having no facts to support your false premise of trickle up has made you resort to name calling. Truely a "mush-brained simpleton" response.
Guess you listen to Rush? I don't, so thanks for filling me in on his favorite phrases. Well, go ahead and tell me which poor man offered you a job. It's simple economics. I think even Obama almost gets it by now. I don't have anything to be frustrated about. I make good money while sad sacks like you are making under $9/ hr and crying about it on topix. Your tears are delicious.:)
Also, what kind of simpleton can't spell 'truly'? Lol.
heh

United States

#35 Feb 16, 2013
right wrote:
<quoted text>
And if the Minimum Wage is raised again, prices will rise again. Places will have to raise prices (or lay workers off) to afford to pay the increased wage. It's a vicious cycle.
Why can't some people understand this? It isn't complicated.
heh

United States

#36 Feb 16, 2013
HR Rep wrote:
You have to start somewhere!!! People often forget you have to work to get what you want!!!!!!
Socialists want everything handed to them.
Lol

Owensboro, KY

#37 Feb 16, 2013
Lol @ "heh". If you can't backup your statements with facts when asked, just make each following post an insult or GOP talking point. You political trolls are always good for laugh!:)
me again

Owensboro, KY

#38 Feb 16, 2013
heh wrote:
<quoted text>
Socialists want everything handed to them.
Everyone who gets a paycheck gets it handed to them. Unless they get it in the mail.
Kristi

Owensboro, KY

#39 Feb 16, 2013
Lol wrote:
Lol @ "heh". If you can't backup your statements with facts when asked, just make each following post an insult or GOP talking point. You political trolls are always good for laugh!:)
I know, right! Those brainwashed right wing zealots always give themselves away. As soon as they bring up "socialism", you know you're dealing with someone that's incapable of having a rational exchange of ideas.
heh

Indonesia

#40 Feb 16, 2013
Sigh. I see plenty of facts laid out already in this thread that you broke chumps can't seem to comprehend. So how many poor people have you welfare addicted losers been hired by? It's a simple question. Why can't anyone answer it? Maybe you poor crybabies can just hire each other or something.
asdfgh

Owensboro, KY

#41 Feb 17, 2013
right wrote:
<quoted text>
And if the Minimum Wage is raised again, prices will rise again. Places will have to raise prices (or lay workers off) to afford to pay the increased wage. It's a vicious cycle.
What about places where prices are going up on necessities yet the minimum wage has not changed?
Health insurance, gas prices, groceries, utilities etc.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ViceLords down here from Chicago 9 min East Side 4
Mitch Vinson "Knock Around guy Service? 23 min Emilio 1
Guy driving around filming girls 55 min Max 23
OPD Employee of the year goes to Krystal Mclemore 1 hr code blue 6
Missing my boo billy joe 1 hr Truth 3
Wilson bowman 1 hr Wiltson lover 3
When you have lost everything lying 2 hr smh 41

Owensboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Owensboro Mortgages