First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Just wondering

Owensboro, KY

#1 Jan 21, 2013
How far behind does the noncustodial parent have to get in child support before the state will take action against them (ie garnishing tax refund, revoking license, jail time)? My child support case is already open with the state and the payments were being taken from the noncustodial parents check ever week.. Until he was fired from his job. He is not making any effort to find a new job, and his unemployment was denied. What, if any, actions do I need to take to require the state to make him accountable for his children?
youcant

Owensboro, KY

#2 Jan 21, 2013
there's really nothing you can do. pressure the child support office once he gets $1000 or more, and they could set a trial date and stuff to start the going to jail process. but that can take up to a year. you'll get a letter in the mail if they are going to intercept his tax return. there's not a certain amount, i don't think, for them to take that.
My opinion only

Owensboro, KY

#3 Jan 21, 2013
If he gets $1,000 behind it's considered a felony & then u can sign a warrant for him to b put in jail. I think that's when child support would b set & extra support added on every week to get him caught up. I think u should contact the child support office to find out all this information for sure. I do think that $1,000 behind is pretty much when u have options tho. Until then, they don't take it seriously.

“Cogito ergo sum”

Level 2

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#4 Jan 21, 2013
Just wondering wrote:
his unemployment was denied. What, if any, actions do I need to take to require the state to make him accountable for his children?
You sound like a really good woman to be with.
Oh girl

Owensboro, KY

#5 Jan 21, 2013
Nothing will happen... My ex husband owes tens of thousands and NOTHING happens. You can call and leave as many messages as you want and the child support office won't call you back because they don't care. Even being unemployed he has to pay a tiny bit but since there is no check to garnish I'm guessing he won't take it upon himself to mail Frankfort a check. Your best bet is to not stress over it... I've argued, been to court countless times, been downtown to the CS office more times than I know and nothing has helped so don't waste your time sweating it.
felony

Owensboro, KY

#6 Jan 21, 2013
My opinion only wrote:
If he gets $1,000 behind it's considered a felony & then u can sign a warrant for him to b put in jail. I think that's when child support would b set & extra support added on every week to get him caught up. I think u should contact the child support office to find out all this information for sure. I do think that $1,000 behind is pretty much when u have options tho. Until then, they don't take it seriously.
It is $5000 now. Before that, it is just a contempt of court charge.
Oh girl

Owensboro, KY

#7 Jan 21, 2013
Also putting him in jail just makes SURE you won't get a dime because he won't be working In there. If he has not reported beig unemployed the state is still expecting him to pay what he was and they will add that to what he owes until he reports his change in income.

“Cogito ergo sum”

Level 2

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#8 Jan 21, 2013
My child support for one was at 764 a month at one time. No one is going to jail for a mere G!
Lily33

Tucker, GA

#9 Jan 21, 2013
My kids dad is over 3000 behind for my two kids and he has two other baby mothers out there But don t keep a job to support his kids And. He hasn't ever. Been to jail yet I just don t get it All these dads that don't wanna pay child support Should grow up and be a real man and dad
Its a joke

White Plains, KY

#10 Jan 21, 2013
I agree that child support should be paid but when they want to take all that a person makes and not leave them with anything to live on, then why would any person want to work because they feel theyre working for nothing!! The rates that the State has set are way too high!!!
What

Owensboro, KY

#11 Jan 21, 2013
Its a joke wrote:
I agree that child support should be paid but when they want to take all that a person makes and not leave them with anything to live on, then why would any person want to work because they feel theyre working for nothing!! The rates that the State has set are way too high!!!
You aren't working for nothing! Did you forget you are working to feed your children!
amen

Owensboro, KY

#12 Jan 21, 2013
What wrote:
<quoted text>
You aren't working for nothing! Did you forget you are working to feed your children!
Yes! Why don't they see it that way?? Seriously, I don't get it. I work and spend every dime I make on bills and my kid. I never have money for myself. The dad makes double what I do and he wont pay a cent. Over 3,000 behind.
Again

Owensboro, KY

#13 Jan 22, 2013
amen wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes! Why don't they see it that way?? Seriously, I don't get it. I work and spend every dime I make on bills and my kid. I never have money for myself. The dad makes double what I do and he wont pay a cent. Over 3,000 behind.
This has been explained many times. The reason fathers often don't pay is because they see it as giving money to their hated ex. If they could use the money to support the children, that would be different. But giving money to the hated ex is what makes them evade it.
lilysmommy

United States

#14 Jan 22, 2013
The father to my daughter was $1500 and the state set a warrant themselves, I never had to do anything except show up to court when we had child support hearings...he served 6 months in jail and he got out and he's been back in jail for 2 yrs for other charges & the child support office told me as soon as he gets out to call them, they will file papers to go to court, the judge allows 30-60 days for him to get a job and start paying or back to jail he goes, he's over $8000 behind at this point! The state has done everything I never had to file for anything!
My opinion only

United States

#15 Jan 22, 2013
Goethe wrote:
My child support for one was at 764 a month at one time. No one is going to jail for a mere G!
. And this was also several years ago when I was dealing with this so there's no need to get bent out of shape over it. Sorry!!
My opinion only

United States

#16 Jan 22, 2013
Its a joke wrote:
They can & do take a lot but can't take everything. If u can't support them then u shouldn't have them. It's not just up to one person to b financially responsible. There r women who also skip out on support.
My opinion only

United States

#17 Jan 22, 2013
It used to b that if the mother/father was on or went on any kind of public assistance then that red flagged the case & the state took care of it. Doesn't always happen that way. Some just have to stick with it, not stress over it, but stick with it & show that u mean business. If they ignore u this week then try again next week.
Its a joke

Owensboro, KY

#18 Jan 23, 2013
Again wrote:
<quoted text>
This has been explained many times. The reason fathers often don't pay is because they see it as giving money to their hated ex. If they could use the money to support the children, that would be different. But giving money to the hated ex is what makes them evade it.
Thank You Again!! EXACTLY!! And yes, it is to feed my children but by the time I pay Uncle Sam, health insurance and the child support, then its all but gone....so yes, they take everything! And the parent should have enough to be able to live on as well! Why do you think there is so much suicide?? And I could afford my kids until the courts took over! They think I should support the ex as well which is WRONG!!
My opinion only

United States

#19 Jan 24, 2013
I don't agree with alimony unless it's a parent who stayed home with the kids during the marriage. There should b a time frame put on that alimony which allows the said parent to find a job. Unless there's a handicap of some sort then there's no reason for each parent to work. I know guys having to pay child support plus alimony plus will lose half of their retirement. I think that the retirement money belongs to the person who worked & earned it. Child support should b paid regardless. Doesn't matter if it's to an ex that u hate. I'm doing that right now but soon will b done with it & won't have to put up with the mother ever again. But until then, I have to do my part regardless of what I think bout her or what the money is going for.
Just wondering

Owensboro, KY

#20 Mar 2, 2013
I know this post is old, but a few days after I posted this originally. I got a letter from the court system saying that the division of child support had filed with the court. We now have a court date set for march. On the papers it does it jail as a possibility. Although I am annoyed with the fact that he will not pay child support, I don't see how jail would help matters. Hopefully, this will just be a wake up call to force him to get his shit together. But I won't hold my breath.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
That's okay... 5 min Get a life 13
Christopher McKenzie aka tinka 8 min No hater 19
steffan johnson 26 min hmmmm 1
Kimberly Clark 29 min papermaker 14
Why does people lie to the ones that loves them... 39 min attention ho 3
Before you judge 41 min attention ho 8
Albert Hester 57 min Truth 6

Owensboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance