newbie

United States

#1 Jan 4, 2013
I'm interested in starting a small vegetable garden this year. I have never grown anything before. Anyone have any suggestions on when or where to begin? Any ideas or links would be helpful!
Dr is in the house

United States

#2 Jan 5, 2013
newbie wrote:
I'm interested in starting a small vegetable garden this year. I have never grown anything before. Anyone have any suggestions on when or where to begin? Any ideas or links would be helpful!
What area do you live in? I'm an avid gardener and I'd be happy to help you out with some good pointers

Level 3

Since: Jan 13

Owensboro, KY

#3 Jan 5, 2013
What kinda of vegetables do you like? Just get some seeds or starter plants from a home center and they read up on them and see how it goes. If you find you like gardening, be sure to start a compost so you'll have good nutritious soil to add to you garden in the coming years.
newbie

United States

#4 Jan 17, 2013
Dr is in the house wrote:
<quoted text>
What area do you live in? I'm an avid gardener and I'd be happy to help you out with some good pointers
Western Kentucky. Do you know what vegetables grow well/easy for this area?
newbie

United States

#5 Jan 17, 2013
music_eagle_4 wrote:
What kinda of vegetables do you like? Just get some seeds or starter plants from a home center and they read up on them and see how it goes. If you find you like gardening, be sure to start a compost so you'll have good nutritious soil to add to you garden in the coming years.
Any type of vegetable. I just want to start something small. Do you know how long seeds stay good for? I may not use all the seeds and was wondering if they would be good to save for the next year.
Life

Duluth, GA

#6 Jan 17, 2013
Life is a garden and I'm digging it!

“Cogito ergo sum”

Level 2

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#7 Jan 17, 2013
Get some old rusty nails and throw them in the holes of whatever you're planting.
Life

Duluth, GA

#8 Jan 17, 2013
Goethe wrote:
Get some old rusty nails and throw them in the holes of whatever you're planting.
Why??

“Cogito ergo sum”

Level 2

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#9 Jan 17, 2013
Life wrote:
<quoted text>
Why??
I guess for the iron would be my best guess. I don't really know. Have seen older family and others do it, and their gardens always turned out great.
Life

Duluth, GA

#10 Jan 17, 2013
Until someone else in the family comes along and is weeding it or going to plant new plants and gets a handful of tetanus and ends up with lock jaw. YIKES!!

“Cogito ergo sum”

Level 2

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#11 Jan 17, 2013
Life wrote:
Until someone else in the family comes along and is weeding it or going to plant new plants and gets a handful of tetanus and ends up with lock jaw. YIKES!!
LOL I have never seen this happen. Use a bigger nail if you're worried about it maybe. Like old barn nails, or 16 penny. I wouldnt worry to much about that anyway. I cannot even count how many rusty objects have cut me or stabbed me in my lifetime, and I am alive and well. If you feel the need to get a tetanus shot they're not very expensive.:)
Life

Duluth, GA

#12 Jan 17, 2013
You seem like a wise young man. How old? If you don't mind me being nosey.

“Cogito ergo sum”

Level 2

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#13 Jan 17, 2013
Life wrote:
You seem like a wise young man. How old? If you don't mind me being nosey.
Oh I wish I was young.:D I am not dreadfully ancient. I am in my mid-thirties.
Mee

Duluth, GA

#14 Jan 17, 2013
newbie wrote:
I'm interested in starting a small vegetable garden this year. I have never grown anything before. Anyone have any suggestions on when or where to begin? Any ideas or links would be helpful!
First and foremost get a soil test. You can get the kit and test done at the Ag Extension Officeout by OCC. especially if you live in the city do this and get your utility lines marked so you don't have a major accident
Dr is in the house

Duluth, GA

#15 Jan 17, 2013
newbie wrote:
<quoted text>Western Kentucky. Do you know what vegetables grow well/easy for this area?
All vegetables grow well in this area but I don't recommend putting the nails in your garden. Lol

“Cogito ergo sum”

Level 2

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#16 Jan 17, 2013
Dr is in the house wrote:
<quoted text>
All vegetables grow well in this area but I don't recommend putting the nails in your garden. Lol
Oh hush you!:P I will always do it! I'm no expert, but if it works it works.:D Maybe you should try it? ;)

Level 3

Since: Jan 13

Owensboro, KY

#17 Jan 17, 2013
I've heard if you stick a nail next to each plant, the nail slowly adds iron to the soil that helps the plants. seeds are probably good for a couple years, could be longer depends on lots of factors like temp and humidity they are stored at, quality of seeds etc. the seed package should tell you everything about when to plant, germination period, how far apart to plant them, sunlight requirements, soil consistency / composition, how to maintain them once they are going etc.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Get the Owensboro Topix News on Facebook! 1 min Topix 1
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 4 min Republicans for G... 5,529
Crystal Mattingly??? 21 min ray 17
Brittney matthews n new guy 29 min Guys a moron 13
Stephen Midkiff (Oct '13) 57 min saveher 14
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr TheIndependentMaj... 154,008
Mike Hamilton (Jan '12) 1 hr CWoman 75
Anyone hear that Sears in Owensboro is closing?? (Dec '12) 1 hr John Q. Public 48
Musick Studios 5 hr jamie 69
Cops in Owensboro ky 13 hr John Dillinger 54
•••
•••
•••

Owensboro Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Owensboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Owensboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Owensboro
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••