Lawyer criminals
Higher standard

Centertown, KY

#1 Jun 21, 2013
If a lawyer is appointed conservator for a disabled veteran, and that lawyer ends up stealing $631,000 from that veteran over a period of years, should that lawyer get capital punishment?

Why do lawyers hardly ever get severe punishment for their crimes? Is it because the people who decide what punishment they get are lawyers too, and they give them professional courtesy, knowing that their crimes too might be discovered and punished?

Shouldn't lawyers be held to a higher standard instead of lower?
Rodger

United States

#2 Jun 21, 2013
Report them to the bar association
regrets

Chicago, IL

#3 Jun 21, 2013
Higher standard wrote:
If a lawyer is appointed conservator for a disabled veteran, and that lawyer ends up stealing $631,000 from that veteran over a period of years, should that lawyer get capital punishment?

Why do lawyers hardly ever get severe punishment for their crimes? Is it because the people who decide what punishment they get are lawyers too, and they give them professional courtesy, knowing that their crimes too might be discovered and punished?

Turn them in to social services. It's a felony if they substantiate. 1800kysafe1. Who was the attorney?
bill

Chicago, IL

#4 Jun 21, 2013
regrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Turn them in to social services. It's a felony if they substantiate. 1800kysafe1. Who was the attorney?
Rich walls
Higher standard

Centertown, KY

#5 Jun 21, 2013
regrets wrote:
<quoted text>
This was in another Kentucky city, not Owensboro. The lawyer was sentenced to 41 months in jail. My point is that lawyers appointed as conservators for disabled veterans should be held to a higher standard, and should not get short sentences just because they're lawyers. And whenever a lawyer is appointed to a position of such trust, someone else should be appointed to audit them annually, to catch such crimes early, instead of letting them keep getting worse year after year.
Truth

Owensboro, KY

#6 Jun 21, 2013
bill wrote:
<quoted text> Rich walls
he doesn't have $6 to his name. No way
bill

Chicago, IL

#7 Jun 21, 2013
Lol but rich walls is a piece of crap. He tries to sleep with every client male or female. Dirtbag!
lol

Madisonville, KY

#8 Jun 21, 2013
Higher standard wrote:

Capital punishment is the death penalty. Umm no he shouldn't be sentenced to death.
Higher standard

Owensboro, KY

#9 Jun 21, 2013
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
Capital punishment is the death penalty. Umm no he shouldn't be sentenced to death.
In some countries he would be. What should his sentence actually be? Do you agree with the 41 months? Don't forget the sentence probably won't be served in full. So the actual prison time might not amount to much.

Or do you think it's no big deal for a lawyer to steal money from a disabled vet when he's given the responsibility of managing that vet's money? Because crimes such as stealing are normal for lawyers, and expected?
lol

Madisonville, KY

#10 Jun 21, 2013
Higher standard wrote:
<quoted text>In some countries he would be. What should his sentence actually be? Do you agree with the 41 months? Don't forget the sentence probably won't be served in full. So the actual prison time might not amount to much.

Or do you think it's no big deal for a lawyer to steal money from a disabled vet when he's given the responsibility of managing that vet's money? Because crimes such as stealing are normal for lawyers, and expected?
I never said it was right. What I said was it's not a capital offense. Maybe the lawyer has insurance on his business. If so, it is possible that maybe this vet can recoup some of his losses by suing the lawyers business insurance. If I were the vet, I would look into that. I know what I'm talking about, pass this info onto this vet.
Higher standard

Owensboro, KY

#11 Jun 22, 2013
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said it was right. What I said was it's not a capital offense. Maybe the lawyer has insurance on his business. If so, it is possible that maybe this vet can recoup some of his losses by suing the lawyers business insurance. If I were the vet, I would look into that. I know what I'm talking about, pass this info onto this vet.
So instead of capital punishment the lawyer should just be tortured and disbarred? The vet, being severely disabled in war, is not necessarily going to have a normal inclination to sue. Some kinds of disabilities cause people to not want to defend their own rights. It's tragic that he can't reliably be assigned someone to look out for him, without becoming a victim of that someone. But that's the kind of society we have now. A dog-eat-dog society, and a dog-shit-on-dog society. A society of lawyers and other criminals.
WARNED

Owensboro, KY

#12 Jun 22, 2013
An individual practicing law in any way in the Commonwealth of Kentucky is legally required to purchase legal malpractice insurance (until a couple of years ago this was not the case). If you believe that a lawyer representing you that is practicing in the Commonwealth did you wrong then please contact the Kentucky Bar Association (KBA). The KBA is legally required to help you. Furthermore, Kentucky Statues state that there is a one year limitation suing an attorney for legal malpractice. However, legal malpractice can be successfully argued when YOU discover that legal malpractice occurred, which could be several years after the Statute ran out.

Please keep this information handy.
maybe not

Owensboro, KY

#13 Jun 22, 2013
WARNED wrote:
An individual practicing law in any way in the Commonwealth of Kentucky is legally required to purchase legal malpractice insurance (until a couple of years ago this was not the case). If you believe that a lawyer representing you that is practicing in the Commonwealth did you wrong then please contact the Kentucky Bar Association (KBA). The KBA is legally required to help you. Furthermore, Kentucky Statues state that there is a one year limitation suing an attorney for legal malpractice. However, legal malpractice can be successfully argued when YOU discover that legal malpractice occurred, which could be several years after the Statute ran out.
Please keep this information handy.
Think of how such a malpractice lawsuit would work in Owensboro. All the lawyers and judges are friends with each other. If you sue one of them, all of them will consider you to be the enemy. Has anyone ever successfully sued a lawyer for malpractice in Owensboro?

A lot of Owensboro court cases take years. The one-year malpractice limitation could run out while the case is still active in which the malpractice happened.
lol

Madisonville, KY

#14 Jun 22, 2013
Higher standard wrote:
<quoted text>So instead of capital punishment the lawyer should just be tortured and disbarred? The vet, being severely disabled in war, is not necessarily going to have a normal inclination to sue. Some kinds of disabilities cause people to not want to defend their own rights. It's tragic that he can't reliably be assigned someone to look out for him, without becoming a victim of that someone. But that's the kind of society we have now. A dog-eat-dog society, and a dog-shit-on-dog society. A society of lawyers and other criminals.
Tortured? NO! Disbarred? YES! Murder is the only crime for Capital Punishment.
lol

Madisonville, KY

#15 Jun 22, 2013
maybe not wrote:
<quoted text>Think of how such a malpractice lawsuit would work in Owensboro. All the lawyers and judges are friends with each other. If you sue one of them, all of them will consider you to be the enemy. Has anyone ever successfully sued a lawyer for malpractice in Owensboro?

A lot of Owensboro court cases take years. The one-year malpractice limitation could run out while the case is still active in which the malpractice happened.
Once the case has started, the only way it would run out is if YOU keep postponing it. Get the ball rolling priority the limitation and don't worry about the limitation.
If this lawyer has been criminally prosecuted and found guilty, it shouldn't be that hard to get $$$$$ from a civil case. He has already been found guilty of the crime. Stop making excuses and get yourself a lawyer.
duh

Owensboro, KY

#16 Jun 22, 2013
Don't be confusing hypothetical situations with real cases. Hypothetical deadlines don't need reminders to hurry. The original case that started this discussion might have been real, but it seemed pretty clear it wasn't in Owensboro, so it's hypothetical here.

In Owensboro, you wouldn't have chance in hell to win a malpractice lawsuit against a lawyer, unless that lawyer was in jail and the other lawyers hated him. Otherwise none of them would even accept your malpractice case.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tiffany Mattingly 12 min Butch 2
Women who chase married men (Oct '15) 42 min Sunday funday 32
Local couples or individuals who film 43 min Curious 1
Great White I challenge you! 46 min One who destroys you 5
Why is it so hard for someone to be honest? 2 hr Dont Bother Me 13
Tip tip tip !!!! 2 hr Customer 4
shaina martin (Dec '14) 2 hr Lmao 3

Owensboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance