Comments
1 - 20 of 21 Comments Last updated Feb 13, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Friendly

Duluth, GA

#1 Jan 16, 2013
If you have been thinking about getting a pet now is the time! There are a couple of very sweet amazing family dogs that will be killed Friday morning if they are not adopted or at least fostered. Fostering an animal is simply letting it live with you until the shelter can find a rescue or a permanent adopter for it. It is only temporary. Please guys go help these animals.
Lol

United States

#4 Jan 16, 2013
Friendly wrote:
If you have been thinking about getting a pet now is the time! There are a couple of very sweet amazing family dogs that will be killed Friday morning if they are not adopted or at least fostered. Fostering an animal is simply letting it live with you until the shelter can find a rescue or a permanent adopter for it. It is only temporary. Please guys go help these animals.
The best dogs are the one's that have been mistreated and need a good home. Pets love you and comfort you. They are great on the days you hate people.
Friendly

Duluth, GA

#5 Jan 16, 2013
Please help me get the word out
chill

Bensenville, IL

#6 Jan 17, 2013
Friendly wrote:
Please help me get the word out
way to play the sympathy card. Where's your Sara McGlauchlin (sp?) song? If people would sterilize their animals, this wouldn't be such a huge problem. I hate euthanasia! But, it's such a huge issue, I understand that they seem to have no other option.
Life

Duluth, GA

#7 Jan 17, 2013
I hate thinking they will be euthanized!
DnG

Duluth, GA

#9 Jan 17, 2013
I know right!
Britt

Owensboro, KY

#10 Jan 17, 2013
truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too, but when I get old. I'd rather be euthanized than to be in a nursing home.
They rarely euthanize due to old age. They do it because people are too dumb to spay or neuter their animals so the shelter end up with two or three dogs per kennel and they just keep dropping them off! Where do u put the new ones coming in? Well you have to kill the ones who have been there the longest so the new ones can come in. It's awful. There are a couple dogs who will be murdered tomorrow due to space. Good sweet family dogs. All people have to so is go foster one... That frees up some space. It helps.
danica

Greenville, KY

#11 Jan 18, 2013
I have 2 shelter dogs now and they are great dogs. It was sort of hard in the beginning when they were adjusting to being out of the shelter but understandable. Its a great place to get pets because you come home with a pet that has been fixed, microchipped, and shots for alot less than what you pay out of pocket at the vet. I would never pay a breeder 200+ dollars and pay the expense of vetting when I can go to the shelter and rescue.
DEBBIE DOWNER

United States

#12 Jan 18, 2013
Just saying, but before people waste their time coming out there to foster a dog it would probably be helpful if you post the criteria they must meet in able to do so. I know several people who have been willing to do this but didn't meet your requirements. Not because they were bad people or had bad living situations.

Level 1

Since: Jan 13

Duluth, GA

#13 Jan 18, 2013
DEBBIE DOWNER wrote:
Just saying, but before people waste their time coming out there to foster a dog it would probably be helpful if you post the criteria they must meet in able to do so. I know several people who have been willing to do this but didn't meet your requirements. Not because they were bad people or had bad living situations.
why would a person be turned down? Ive adopted before, filled out the questionaire. Didnt see anything unusual. Basically they wanted to make sure that ur not the type of person who gets animal and in few years get tired of them and abandon or give them away. Or i can see maybe make sure your finances are good enuff to afford vet bills, shots, food.
Hoo Flung-do

Owensboro, KY

#14 Jan 18, 2013
me restaurant need good dog meat, me come get some lunch, i mean doggies, right now

Level 1

Since: Jan 13

Duluth, GA

#15 Jan 18, 2013
Hoo Flung-do wrote:
me restaurant need good dog meat, me come get some lunch, i mean doggies, right now
lol!!!!! I hadn't thought of that scenario
over the animal shelter

United States

#16 Feb 13, 2013
Not only do they turn people down....ashley will straight lie to ur face, behind ur back, hell...n a COURT OF LAW? She makes up stories or will call the police herself to make a complaint so she can go to responsible pet owners homes & take their dogs that r old & part of their family so she can abuse her authority bc it for damn sure not n the best intetest of the pet! Its not like the shelter is full enough, she goes LOOKING for dogs that already have forever homes to take to shelter & put them them n a concrete cell? Dont trust her for a second bc her word means NOTHING!
SaraZ

Owensboro, KY

#17 Feb 13, 2013
Sounds like someone wasn't a responsible pet owner, and believe my Ashley would never take an animal away from a responsible owner. There are enough of them in Owensboro, why do you think the shelter stays so full
who knows

Owensboro, KY

#18 Feb 13, 2013
The employees at the animal shelter are the rudest people I have ever encountered. I would never adopt from them. I will use a private rescue. I have never adopted from them but went with my mother in law when she was looking for a dog, and I was in shock how they treated her.
alivia

Greenville, KY

#19 Feb 13, 2013
I have used the shelter several times and have never had an issue. I hear a lot of accusations without a lot of details so if your dog was taken then I am sure they had a reason.
Um no

Owensboro, KY

#20 Feb 13, 2013
who knows wrote:
The employees at the animal shelter are the rudest people I have ever encountered. I would never adopt from them. I will use a private rescue. I have never adopted from them but went with my mother in law when she was looking for a dog, and I was in shock how they treated her.
The employees at the shelter are rude. I know they are. Here's the thing though.... Those people do not get paid very much. They see animals dying and mistreated and neglected everyday. They busy their butts trying to find rescues and foster home for their animals bc they are always so full. They can't turn down any animal brought out there bc they are government run. So they have animals coming in all day everyday and no where to put them. They are extremely stressed out. The stress an agony that comes with that job is overwhelming. You could never understand unless you've worked there. So when you go there they very well may be short tempered and not very talkative and its bc they have a huge weight on their shoulders. Please everyone try to understand this. Anyone looking to adopt an animal should go to the shelter first. Don't let animals die for no reason just bc you don't like someone and certainly don't discourage other people from going to the shelter for that reason either. Those animals are innocent.
Um no

Owensboro, KY

#21 Feb 13, 2013
The applications that you fill out ask things like
Name
Address
Any other pets in the home
If so what vet you use
THAT'S IT PEOPLE! Here's reason people are not approved....
If you have animals who are not up to date on vaccinations you are denied
If your animals are not spayed or neutered then u are denied
If your housing isn't adequate for the animals you're wanting your denied (example: if you live in an apartment and you're wanting a large dog)
If you walk into the shelter with a bad attitude and dressed like you're trailer trash and talk about how you want a dog who is discounted to 40$ bc you can afford the 70$ adoption fee you will be denied.
If you talk crap about the shelter on Facebook then try to help you will and should be denied
If you have surrendered an animal to the shelter before you will be denied.
These are common sense people. People get denied for obvious reasons.
Ashley does lie. Most the time it's in the best interest of the animals though.
When a person has to go I court for abusing their animal then later on comes in and want to adopt that animal.... Well odds are you will be told that animals is either euthanized or found a home.... Wake up people. Take care of your animals and if you do it properly you can have more. Be nice to people and understand that the way people treat you is not a justification to treat others bad or to not adopt from the shelter. There's a reason for everything.
alivia

Owensboro, KY

#22 Feb 13, 2013
Um no wrote:
<quoted text>The employees at the shelter are rude. I know they are. Here's the thing though.... Those people do not get paid very much. They see animals dying and mistreated and neglected everyday. They busy their butts trying to find rescues and foster home for their animals bc they are always so full. They can't turn down any animal brought out there bc they are government run. So they have animals coming in all day everyday and no where to put them. They are extremely stressed out. The stress an agony that comes with that job is overwhelming. You could never understand unless you've worked there. So when you go there they very well may be short tempered and not very talkative and its bc they have a huge weight on their shoulders. Please everyone try to understand this. Anyone looking to adopt an animal should go to the shelter first. Don't let animals die for no reason just bc you don't like someone and certainly don't discourage other people from going to the shelter for that reason either. Those animals are innocent.
I dont think its fair to say they are rude. The animal shelter is not the type of business where you are served with a smile and the customer is always right. I have dealt with them for both adoption and helping find a lost pet and both times they were beyond helpful. If someone is dropping off an animal then they definitely shouldnt expect smiles and butterflies. If they are saying you arent able to adopt or foster they have a good reason whether you agree or not and arguing with them isnt helpful.
who knows

Owensboro, KY

#23 Feb 13, 2013
Um no wrote:
<quoted text>The employees at the shelter are rude. I know they are. Here's the thing though.... Those people do not get paid very much. They see animals dying and mistreated and neglected everyday. They busy their butts trying to find rescues and foster home for their animals bc they are always so full. They can't turn down any animal brought out there bc they are government run. So they have animals coming in all day everyday and no where to put them. They are extremely stressed out. The stress an agony that comes with that job is overwhelming. You could never understand unless you've worked there. So when you go there they very well may be short tempered and not very talkative and its bc they have a huge weight on their shoulders. Please everyone try to understand this. Anyone looking to adopt an animal should go to the shelter first. Don't let animals die for no reason just bc you don't like someone and certainly don't discourage other people from going to the shelter for that reason either. Those animals are innocent.
if they were concerned for the animals that much, then they should be more helpful when someone wants to look at an animal and not act as if they are to "busy." I find it pretty rude when they have you go get the dog yourself when you don't know the animal and that animal or the one it is caged with could be aggressive. That is just ridiculous. If they wanted the dogs adopted i would think they would be willing to help and answer any questions regarding that dog. They did none of that!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Get the Owensboro Topix News on Facebook! 1 min Topix 1
vessels in whitesville (Mar '12) 2 min Cutiepie87 16
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 2 min Going Blue 1,283
steve jones chrysler (Oct '12) 10 min Cutiepie87 24
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 20 min Anne52 81,595
Bob O'Brien? (Dec '11) 23 min Yeah Right 7
allison leigh brasher strung out on meth 29 min lmao.wow 4
Tori Ann Hester is a stripper? 45 min Shut up Florida t... 16
naughty wives club 47 min Liberal Wisenheimer 27
Best single dads in owb (Jun '12) 59 min Nogood 54
•••
•••

Owensboro Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Owensboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Owensboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Owensboro
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••