School in June 2015
Parent

Owensboro, KY

#1 Feb 17, 2014
I read in the M-I today that if the school board keeps the 2014-15 school year dates the same our kids could be going to school until the middle of June next year.

Does anyone know who the school board members are??

Does anyone have their phone numbers to call them?
who cares

United States

#2 Feb 17, 2014
Look it up yourself. You found topix.
mom

Princeton, KY

#3 Feb 18, 2014
Who cares!!!!! School is good for kids. Education is a good thing.
lkjhgfdsa;

United States

#4 Feb 18, 2014
They will only go into June if they miss any days, and that's because starting next year they are starting school a week later than usual.
DUH

Owensboro, KY

#5 Feb 18, 2014
[QUOTE who="lkjhgfdsa;"]The y will only go into June if they miss any days, and that's because starting next year they are starting school a week later than usual.[/QUOTE]

Duh, you can read, I see school was not wasted on you!!!!!

And odds are they will miss some school because of the weather next year. Check history or is all you did was learn how to read??????

And because of these missed school days there goes summer vacation. Once the weather turns nice, school kids are playing softball, baseball and dreaming of summer vacation. And school is just a waste of time especially after Mid-May.
Really

Owensboro, KY

#6 Feb 18, 2014
mom wrote:
Who cares!!!!! School is good for kids. Education is a good thing.
You must be a nerd or the parents of a nerd. Most likely both, shut up nerd.
mom

Princeton, KY

#7 Feb 18, 2014
Really wrote:
<quoted text>You must be a nerd or the parents of a nerd. Most likely both, shut up nerd.
My child is 8 months old but if she becomes a nerd thats ok. She will be making bank while your kid grows up and works a classy high paying job in owensboro.
mom

Princeton, KY

#8 Feb 18, 2014
DUH wrote:
[QUOTE who="lkjhgfdsa;"]The y will only go into June if they miss any days, and that's because starting next year they are starting school a week later than usual. "

Duh, you can read, I see school was not wasted on you!!!!!

And odds are they will miss some school because of the weather next year. Check history or is all you did was learn how to read??????

And because of these missed school days there goes summer vacation. Once the weather turns nice, school kids are playing softball, baseball and dreaming of summer vacation. And school is just a waste of time especially after Mid-May.
Thats because everybody makes a point to tell them how they should not be in school past a certain day and please get real most kids dont take a step outside. They sit at home watch tv or play with electronic devices and are bored before a month out of school.
JustMe

United States

#9 Feb 18, 2014
Why are they starting school a week later next year? I really don't care when they go to school til but I would like them out earlier. Maybe they should get rid of fall break. They are out so much more now than when I was in school. Thanksgiving,Christmas,fall break and not to mention all the teacher days. The holiday breaks are longer and then there's breaks that use to not be there. Go back to the old schedule.
curious

Hopkinsville, KY

#10 Feb 18, 2014
I am on the OPS parent committee and we decided to keep when we start school the same as when we normally do. DCHS notified us they were starting a week later. We discussed what we were going to do. It was brought up that parents complain and don't want the kids going to school past Memorial Day so they have to start school early enough that if there are snow days it shouldn't run past that. Now the reason for no school in June for one is the sports team practice in summer so they don't have as long of a summer free to do what they want. In my opinion if they choose to play a sport that practices in summer then that's their choice and they know their summer will be consumed with a lot of time practicing. The school board can't please everyone so there will always be someone who doesn't agree with when school starts. I went to DC when I was in school and in 1997 we had a lot of snow and still got out June 6th. We made up time by adding an extra hour to each day until we were caught up but back then we didn't get as long of a Christmas break or fall break. If you want to make your voice heard then join the Site based decision group, which helps set policies or go to the board meetings. You would need a large group of people to sign a petition to change when school starts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Will love prevail 11 min BeenthereSucks 2
Brandi Robertson 1 hr nice.... 1
Black guy that drives a white suv 1 hr Curious 4
Election Who do you support for Sheriff in Kentucky (McL... (Oct '10) 2 hr Sears family 4
circumcision 2 hr Abcdef 13
Dani Nelson 2 hr Bambam 1
Laura Bristow Homewrecker 2 hr GordanRamsey 18
Colony trailer trash 6 hr David Frantz 51

Owensboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Owensboro Mortgages