Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,680

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#72836 Oct 18, 2012
raven wrote:
@ Oglala believe it or not , if you have a Wal-mart that's were you'll find agave( light, med., dark). Should be with sugar, confectioner's sugar, baking goods. Sorry for butting in.
Thank-you very much. I've got to decrease my refined sugar intake. I'm addicted to the stuff. If I cut our sugar, I'd probably drop some weight.

Level 1

Location hidden

#72839 Oct 18, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Fresh growth young poke was picked and cooked as greens and generally mixed with mustard, kale, or dandelion greens. Remember the song "Poke Salat Annie" ?
It generally grows in fence rows and such. Yes it is indigenous to Kentucky. The overripe poke has red berries that will stain everything. The girls were just careful to use the berries on the lips, usually jabbing the berries with a willow switch and rubbing the berry on their lips. Birds eat the berries and make a mess.
I certainly remember that song from the '60's. And yes, those berries make a terrible mess. But the birds have not been eating them too much this year...no messes on the car windshield LOL.

Level 1

Location hidden

#72841 Oct 18, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ditto. Thanks Raven!
I don't usually like to shop at WalMart, but I will when I have to pick up prescriptions just to save gas and a second trip out.. I was happily surprised when I found it there.
Unfortunately, Walmart is pretty much all there is in my neck of the woods. The big shopping center closed all the "mom and pop" stores.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#72843 Oct 18, 2012
Just wishing that it was a tad bit warmer.

Level 1

Location hidden

#72844 Oct 18, 2012
Hempburn wrote:
<quoted text>
You should guess someone with a name like hempburn would know a little about plants,,lol, so yes polk is somewhat toxic, but the poision is found on the outside of the leaves, so as you mentioned the older leaves would contain much higher levels of these unwanted chemicals,, you would have to eat a lot to get sick, but the young leaves are washed two or three times, then cooked and are perfectly safe. One item of interest is the US constitution was written with ink made from the polk berries. I let it grow big so the birds can eat the berries, the pileated woodpecker is very found of them.
I'll let mine grow next year, to encourage the woodpecker. We had a gorgeous one here a couple of years ago, but I haven't seen any lately.

Level 1

Location hidden

#72845 Oct 18, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Well that was quick, he left before I could tell him about Noah.
I must have missed something (LOL).
Georgia on my mind

Alpharetta, GA

#72848 Oct 18, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my word. Not sleet?? Brrrrr! TOO SOON!!
Please stick around and talk to us for a while if you'd like! And yes, things are changing on this thread finally. It took some doin', but we got 'er did!!
:)
Thank you, I swear I couldn't believe my ears either. I think it is in the Northern part of the state, Indiana, and Illinois. I am not ready for that either. Whatever you did to get this thread back on track, please keep it up. It is like a breath of fresh air compared to the last few months. Good job people. Good job topix mods.

You all have a pleasant and peaceful evening.

Level 1

Location hidden

#72852 Oct 18, 2012
Good-night all. "And that was the way it was."
raven

Evansdale, IA

#72853 Oct 18, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, that's what she used to say. Got'cha.
Raven, your momma must be a good cook!! I love homemade cornbread and greens. Might make some tomorrow now I think. YUM!
o yeah, homemade vegetable soup, but she knows where to findthat Polk ( she calls it poke greens) and kilt lettuce, hot lard and salt pored over it.Think about me and my trucker partner when you do that eating...I smell it wafting already;)

Level 1

Location hidden

#72854 Oct 18, 2012
raven wrote:
<quoted text>o yeah, homemade vegetable soup, but she knows where to findthat Polk ( she calls it poke greens) and kilt lettuce, hot lard and salt pored over it.Think about me and my trucker partner when you do that eating...I smell it wafting already;)
Add a little vinegar to that mix, and you have one delicious meal. Heart attack on a plate from that lard, but you only live once.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#72855 Oct 18, 2012
Hi lala, sorry I missed you guys today. Sure makes me hungry reading all the posts. Love the pleasant posts..

Hope you had a great day!
raven

Evansdale, IA

#72856 Oct 18, 2012
Thanks:)Hope, that agave helps. Just add a little at a time. It's an acquired taste, but not bad.I've cut back on sugar also and began using sea salt. The benefits are far superior. It has about 80 mineral elements that are lost in iodized salt.
amazed

Corbin, KY

#72857 Oct 18, 2012
i cant believe whats happened to this string! its turned human again and theres decent conversations going on so what the hell happened? who ever did this even tho i dont know how you did it major kudos. how nice to see something done.
somebody said there was a earthquake drill again in the country again today. is that the trueth or are they just trying to start crap? its all just so scary!
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#72859 Oct 18, 2012
amazed wrote:
i cant believe whats happened to this string! its turned human again and theres decent conversations going on so what the hell happened? who ever did this even tho i dont know how you did it major kudos. how nice to see something done.
somebody said there was a earthquake drill again in the country again today. is that the trueth or are they just trying to start crap? its all just so scary!
Hello amazed, I think I posted that comment about the earthquake drill but left out the last year in May. That is when they conducted the National level drill. They (First Responders) continue to have drills for disasters to ensure they are prepared, especially if their communication goes down and they have to revert back to the walkie talkie mode. They coordinate them with Red Cross, hospital reps, to have a plan if we were to have a natural disaster. It just seems like they have them more frequently than before. I believe their worries are geared towards an earthquake (Madrid Fault Zone) or an EMP attack either by terrorist or as a result of solar flares. Just my opinion. You know they aren't going to say so. No worrying the public. I can tell you I have worked with them so I know what the drill/scenario is. I am glad they are staying on it. We need to be prepared as well. If the Madrid Fault goes, we will need to be prepared as the resources shrink and the help might not be there like we are use to in minor disasters, like the ice storm. I hope I didn't worry you and I am sorry if I did.

I did most of the earthquake research after the birds fell dead two years ago because there were earthquakes in the region and one of the theories was the methane gas escaping from earth and the theories about HAARP/Chemtrails and whether HAARP was causing the earthquakes. It sure was an interesting debate at that time. Loved being a part of it.

It is a pleasure to pull this thread up and see happy icons for people and kind words for the most part in the comments. I love when we all share like everyone did tonight on the polk salad. I love my southern roots and nothing is better than southern cooking.

I hope you had a great day/evening and will join us again.
raven

Evansdale, IA

#72860 Oct 18, 2012
Stevia is a an alternative to refined sugar; it's been used by indigenous people for over1,500 years. it can be beneficial for blood glucose. I might try growing this myself.Nite to all.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#72871 Oct 19, 2012
It just up and died in here over night. I guess no one was watching the Birds...lol
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#72872 Oct 19, 2012
Morning. Well it seems the next president has been picked. A halloween costume mask mfg has a 100 percent record for picking the next president based on sales of their rubber president look alike mask. Obama has outsold Romney by a good margin, so it looks like you can go ahead an celebrate or cry in your soup depending on your political stance. Now if I can spot a wolly worm I can forcast the winter.

Have a nice day,,,,, trolls,,, trolls,,,hummm, lost our trolls. Everyone, have a great day!!
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72874 Oct 19, 2012
I saw a wooly worm yesterday and it was black. That means that there will be weather. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72875 Oct 19, 2012
I dont use sugar or sweetners at all. I figure there is enough in bought jams, jellies, apple butter, and cookies. I have some sugar that is as hard as a rock since I bought it about 5 years ago.

Most cereals such as raisin bran don't need to be any sweeter and I don't even buy the sugar coated. I like oatmeal plain with melted margarine or real butter. I use unsweetened maple syrup and cinnamon in fried apples.

My biggest use for salt is to clean iron skillets to keep them from sticking and I use very little salt for seasoning. Pepper is good enough, especially the lemon-pepper.
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72876 Oct 19, 2012
My aversion to sugar and salt began about the time that I lost my wife of many years. She did not survive being diabetic. I decided that I like life better than sugar and salt.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Get the Owensboro Topix News on Facebook! 1 min Topix 1
Heartford House Hospice 12 min Lubber 1
Jenni cupples Haynes 31 min Face of meth 1
Josh Klee 1 hr Want to know 1
Mexicans good or bad? (Jul '12) 3 hr ugh 18
9in c#ck looking for fun 3 hr robert76 5
What happened to Kelly Meredith? 4 hr cool chick 2
Bruce Hamilton 4 hr Curious 30
robert76 loves the touch of another man! 5 hr Tara 17
Owensboro Dating