It will devastate the hawesville area.
Hello

United States

#2 Apr 17, 2013
I'm all for it but how?
family there

Owensboro, KY

#3 Apr 17, 2013
how can we save it for the 700 to 800 hundred family up there. most of them have kids in school and they r older like 50 years old,but the ceo made their money and dont want to help the ppl who help them that is sick. some of the ppl that works there put 40 years and more and the plant want to do this to them and their family wow.
ummmm

Utica, KY

#4 Apr 19, 2013
Not just hawesville! It will.devastate western Kentucky! THIS WILL EFFECT EVERYONE!!!!!! This is going to even change the fees on a can of coke, cars and trucks! Anything.dealing in aluminum Century and rio tinto provide 1/5 of the united states aluminum! Electric rates are going up.38% if the psc approves the last raise request! I am ready to pack my bags before owensboro and surrounding areas become a ghost town from a ripple effect of 6,000 jobs GONE!
ragu

Owensboro, KY

#5 Apr 19, 2013
Unilever is hiring!! good money!!
Watabot

Tucker, GA

#6 Apr 19, 2013
Good money with lots of affairs. It's a wh&re house!!!!!!!!!!
what

Owensboro, KY

#7 Apr 19, 2013
Is Three Rivers to blame? They increase their rates, and the smelters say no, so everyone shuts down? But does Three Rivers really have to increase their rates? Or is it just to get more profit? I don't know anything about it. Just trying to understand what the problem is.
ummmm

Utica, KY

#8 Apr 19, 2013
The problem is that BIG RIVERS is in debt 70 million dollars they keep going to the public service commission to raise rates on power.

Big rivers is going under! Century takes up 75% of our power grid. Aluminum prices are going down. Way down. The cost of making aluminum is.going up with energy rates. They are paying 52.00 an hour for electric. Its like a millions of dollar a month electric bill. Then if they can leave big rivers and go to open market for power grid then they can get power for 35.00 a n hour which significantly lowers price of production.

The electric company has a monopoly and is price gouging. Century wants to use their lines and get power from open market big rivers says now pay 52 an hour from.us. basically they are kids arguing in.a silly circle and not going anywhere.
This is going to raise prices of all metal across the USA for coke cans, cars, electric anything pertaining to aluminum.

Two smelters are closing. Rio tinto alcan and century. Then two of big rivers electric co ops. Then there is a "ripple" effect which is cause in total 6,000 jobs lost and a 1.1 billion dollar loss to kentuckys economy

Its hard to explain
I hope you get an idea. Sorry.

This is going to raise our rates 38% for residential.homes if you have kenergy as your electric co.op.
yolo

Owensboro, KY

#9 Apr 19, 2013
Crazy
what

Owensboro, KY

#10 Apr 20, 2013
ummmm wrote:
The problem is that BIG RIVERS is in debt 70 million dollars they keep going to the public service commission to raise rates on power.
Big rivers is going under! Century takes up 75% of our power grid. Aluminum prices are going down. Way down. The cost of making aluminum is.going up with energy rates. They are paying 52.00 an hour for electric. Its like a millions of dollar a month electric bill. Then if they can leave big rivers and go to open market for power grid then they can get power for 35.00 a n hour which significantly lowers price of production.
The electric company has a monopoly and is price gouging. Century wants to use their lines and get power from open market big rivers says now pay 52 an hour from.us. basically they are kids arguing in.a silly circle and not going anywhere.
This is going to raise prices of all metal across the USA for coke cans, cars, electric anything pertaining to aluminum.
Two smelters are closing. Rio tinto alcan and century. Then two of big rivers electric co ops. Then there is a "ripple" effect which is cause in total 6,000 jobs lost and a 1.1 billion dollar loss to kentuckys economy
Its hard to explain
I hope you get an idea. Sorry.
This is going to raise our rates 38% for residential.homes if you have kenergy as your electric co.op.
Can't they run at half capacity, to make half as much aluminum, and use half as much electricity? Then aluminum prices wouldn't go up as much from the loss of production, and fewer jobs would be lost.

What do you mean by $52 per hour for electricity? Is that $52 for all the electricity they use, or $52 for a particular amount of electricity? How much do they actually use?
century

United States

#11 Apr 20, 2013
Not only will it devistate familys in hawesville in Owensboro ky and I'm sure all kinds of other places my father has worked there towards his retirement for years and it's all about to fall apart everything he worked for....
u dont know it all

Henderson, KY

#12 Apr 20, 2013
I work for big rivers century is not the only place that is affect big rivers would have to shut down of its plants causing about 250 job losses
nope

Owensboro, KY

#13 Apr 20, 2013
ragu wrote:
Unilever is hiring!! good money!!
They r laying people off. Not hiring
21 swing

United States

#14 Apr 20, 2013
21 swing?
whocares

Owensboro, KY

#15 Apr 20, 2013
Let it close...who cares...nothing but a bunch of 'I am better than you are because I work at Century' type of people anyway....wonder how all those very overpaid people will adjust to the real world where people make alot less than they do....lovin' this....poor HC...lmao!!
ummmm

Utica, KY

#16 Apr 20, 2013
You are ignorant! It is a 6,000 job loss in western ky if century closes! Thats 1.1 billion dollars lost to the local economy! A 38% increase in power!

By the way! Those OVER PAID PEOPLE AT CENTURY! Well they are so over paid that they make the lowest amount of money than any aluminum.com pany in the united states! 19.59 an hour is SO OVER PAID!!!! 45,000 a year gross income is SO OVER PAID! YEAH YOUR RIGHT WE'RE RICH ROLLING IN DOUGH!!! DUMMY!!! You should really educate yourself before you talk out of your ignorant ass!
Lol

Owensboro, KY

#17 Apr 21, 2013
whocares wrote:
Let it close...who cares...nothing but a bunch of 'I am better than you are because I work at Century' type of people anyway....wonder how all those very overpaid people will adjust to the real world where people make alot less than they do....lovin' this....poor HC...lmao!!
what are you jealous of them? Because they have a better job than you do? Better your own life loser. What a whiney hater type bitch
whocares

Owensboro, KY

#18 Apr 21, 2013
I am guessing, that you work at century, with all them numbers and facts and all. Your name calling, not all the useless info you shared so graciously, gave you away. Sorry you may lose your job, welcome to the real world. People don't make $19 an hour in the real world! Oh my, shouldn't you be job hunting instead of sitting on topix? Good luck finding a job where you make $19 an hour, I am quite sure you are worth every penny of it!! GREEDY PEOPLE....
Lol

Owensboro, KY

#19 Apr 21, 2013
I don't work there. I do work in Hancock County though. And they make more than $19 an hour at Century. I make in the mid 20's an hour. Sorry you're broke. And in the real world, medium incomes are between $40-50,000 a year. So sorry you're not in that group. And you still sound jealous
whocares

Owensboro, KY

#20 Apr 21, 2013
There's that mentality I spoke of...'I make $20 an hour, sorry you're broke, you sound jealous", LMAO not jealous one bit, I have a great life. And, really glad I am not a person with your mentality.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jacob (jake) leach snitch (May '13) 8 min ooooooops 8
Iva Ellis 18 min angry 18
David Miles..what kinda guy is he.. 34 min Inspector gadget 5
Billy Norris 38 min Jack 29
Jeni melhiser 38 min Jwjw 1
Old National Bank 40 min The Duder 1
Megan Gregory Collins 52 min Curious 30

Owensboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance