E-mail me!

[email protected]

Joe (big ass long name)
CaptHenway

Chicago, IL

#42 Jul 18, 2011
CaptHenway wrote:
<quoted text>
The article has been sold, and will appear in COINage Magazine in about a month, where I give my explanation of the "Dubill Dollar." I will be sure to send a copy to the Waseca Historical Society.
The article on George Herter is being printed in the August issue of COINage Magazine, which should be available in coin shops and some book stores in about a week.
CaptHenway

Chicago, IL

#43 Jul 23, 2011
The magazine is now out.
TD
bakedn08

Bakersfield, CA

#44 Dec 20, 2011
Jon Stephan wrote:
<quoted text>I have a 1957 Herters ElDorado rocketThat we restored last summer I may be able to assist you. Jon
i have one hoping to restore. how many where made ? guess on how many are left? thank you
Rich

Salinas, CA

#45 Feb 3, 2012
Joe wrote:
Someone in George Leonard Herter's family should get off of their dead butt and write a history of this man! If even one quater of his exploits are true then he is the stuff of legend. Where is Jaquis when you need him? Mr. Herter was an integral part of my childhood. His catalogues and books were very good company for a boy who lived for the outdoors!
Check Wikipedia!
Rich

Salinas, CA

#46 Feb 3, 2012
Check Wikipedia
Kodiak Angler

New York, NY

#47 Apr 1, 2012
bizcoach wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill, this is just a guess--and some time-line issues raise questions in my mind--but I wonder if your reel was manufactured by C. S. Rolls & Co.(or a successor company) in England. If so, it could be a pretty valuable item. Here's why:
Charles Stewart Rolls (1877-1910) was the scion of a very wealthy land-owning family in England. He was both an engineer and, as the automobile and airplane came along, a famed auto racer and competitive flyer (he died in an air-crash). He had formed C. Rolls & Co. to build cars.
In 1904, Rolls met a fellow automobile enthusiast named Royce, and they soon got together to form the Rolls-Royce Company.
If I were you, I'd look into whether Rolls may also have designed a single-action fly reel (the coat of arms may very well be that of the Rolls family). Considering his family's vast land-holdings, I'll bet C. S. Rolls was a fisherman. However, the "time-line issue" I mention is that he died in 1910 and Herter's wasn't formed until around 1937...but if he had indeed invented a fly reel, there's a good chance it continued to be manufactured for many years after his death.
I found nothing about such a reel in a quick Google search, but maybe you could track down a Herter's catalog and see what it says about this reel. Also, there are a number of books available about antique fly reels. You might either look for an on-line expert you can ask about the Rolls reel, or get a couple of those books.
Imagine if you found you owned a reel that had been invented by the Rolls of Rolls-Royce fame! It strikes me as likely that Mr. Herter would have been eager to market such a reel. But another possibility is that Herter simply put the Rolls name on a reel of his own design. That's why you might first want to find an old Herter's catalog--or ask someone who owns one--and see what Herter himself said about it. Hope this helps.
Your reel was made by the great company of JW Young in Redditch, Worcestershire, England. See: http://www.jwyoungs.co.uk/history.htm
Later the company was purchased by Shakespeare and is now back in the Young family and still making fine reels. Young often made its reels for other companies to sell. Herter must have had these reels made up with the Rolls badge. I've seen another which is exactly the same as the Young Pridex Lightweight, and others which are the same as the very famous Young Beaudex. But I don't think there was any connection with Rolls Royce. Hope you're enjoying your reel, or it found another good home.
Kodiak Angler

United States

#48 Apr 2, 2012
Clarence King wrote:
I have a Herter's Mark 400 single action Fly Reel marked "Rolls - Made in England. It carries a colored Shield or "Coat of Arms" that is marked "Rolls". It looks to be unused and is in the original box with paperwork. Any information concerning date of manufacture, value, etc. on this Reel would be appreciated
Thanks in advance for any responses.
Your reel was made by the great company of JW Young in Redditch, Worcestershire, England. See: http://www.jwyoungs.co.uk/history.htm
Later the company was purchased by Shakespeare and is now back in the Young family and still making fine reels. Young often made its reels for other companies to sell. Herter must have had these reels made up with the Rolls badge. I've seen another which is exactly the same as the Young Pridex Lightweight, and others which are the same as the very famous Young Beaudex. But I don't think there was any connection with Rolls Royce. Hope you're enjoying your reel, or it found another good home.
Mat from Albuquerque

Flint, MI

#49 May 2, 2012
As a teen growing up in Chicago I dreamed of becoming an outdoors-man, and more particularly tying my own flies and wreaking havoc on the Wisconsin trout population. My start was, of course, a worlds finest fly tying kit from the wizard of Waseca. It was really good stuff, but the best part was a fly tying manual authored by George himself. With absolutely no experience or help -- just me and George's manual -- I was able to tie some respectable flies with remarkably little (for me) start-up frustration.

The manual was clear, instructions flowed logically, and the explanation of how to tie a whip finish with just the fingers had me mastering the technique in less than an hour. Herter became one of my special heroes, a unique individual who enriched my life. I'm sure I'm not alone.
Dana E Jones Sr

Honolulu, HI

#50 Oct 22, 2012
I'm 74 years old and I was very dissapointed when Herter's went out of business.
I have bought hundreds of items , from fishing lures and equipment to rod building supplies. I have built several of the best fishing rods I have ever seen or used regardless of price.
The prices in his catalog wre cheap but the quality was outstanding. If you bought something from Herter's Inc. you knew you had bought the best. I was never dissapointed in anything purchased from their catalog.
George L. Herter was a great man.
Dana Jones

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owatonna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Owatonna Exchange Club to explore the history o... (Jan '10) May '16 allan pichner 11
News Tink Larson Reflects On Fire That Destroyed Par... Apr '16 Spotted Girl 2
News Minneapolis man charged with choking Owatonna g... Apr '16 USA USA USA USA 17
Belart co. (Nov '07) Apr '16 DValentine 104
News One injured in fireworks explosion in southeast... (Nov '08) Feb '16 Rhondasloveone 8
News Salmon Hardware 'had worn wooden floors through... (Sep '15) Dec '15 Fat guy with a po... 2
Looking for paranormal trackers to start a team (Sep '15) Sep '15 WolfTactix 1

Owatonna Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Owatonna Mortgages