Illegal workers pay taxes, reap no federal or state benefits

Mar 10, 2011 Full story: Owatonna People's Press 273

By ELIZABETH BAIER Minnesota Public Radio News OWATONNA - For the last six years, Maria has cleaned hotel rooms in Owatonna.

Full Story
First Prev
of 14
Next Last
anthony 109

United States

#1 Mar 10, 2011
Okay, I want. To hear you all comments.
not PC

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Mar 10, 2011
I agree with one statement in the article: "the overall cost of undocumented workers and their U.S.-born children outweighs their financial contributions". Nothing was mentioned about Medicaid which is a huge cost to taxpayers, not to mention schools.
Red Ryder

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Mar 10, 2011
COURTS: USING ANOTHER'S SSN NOT A CRIME

Is using a forged Social Security Number -- but your own name -- to obtain employment or buy a car an identity theft crime? Lately, U.S. courts are saying it's not.

The most recent judicial body to take on the issue, the Colorado Supreme Court, ruled last month that a man who used his real name but someone else's Social Security number to obtain a car loan was not guilty of "criminal impersonation," overturning convictions by lower courts.

That follows a ruling last year by the U.S. Supreme Court that a Mexican man who gave a false SSN to get a job at an Illinois steel plant could not be convicted under federal identity theft laws because he did not knowingly use another person's identifying number. The ruling overturned an opinion by a federal appeals court in St. Louis -- and contradicted earlier findings by circuit courts in the Southeast, upper Midwest and the Gulf states.

It hasnít been a shutout for identity theft prosecutors, however. In July, an Iowa state appeals court came to the opposite conclusion, affirming a lower court decision that a man who used a California woman's SSN to obtain employment was guilty of breaking that state's identity theft law.

(Excerpt)

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2010/11/courts-using...

----------
Fine, issue all the supreme court judges SSN's.(No names). Let all the illegals use them.

Further proof that we citizens and LZEGAL immigrants are nothing more than suckers and saps.

“Freedom and responsibility”

Since: Dec 10

St. Paul

#4 Mar 10, 2011
Hilarious math problem. Yeah, what impressive amounts of taxes these people pay. LOL. No government EVER balanced its books by a show of hands from people that paid something; they balance their books with MONEY. And no skills peasants have peasant wages. So, taxes paid are PEANUTS. Shocking, huh? Maria may clean a school's toilets, but she'll never help hire a math teacher.

Maybe they can take those crumbs in social security and transfer them to local hospitals and schools which have been blasted by these people. 60% of the babies born at Houston's public hospital are anchors. I'm sure they could use a small gesture of compensation.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Really

United States

#5 Mar 10, 2011
Illegals and their anchors take more from every state, city and county than they pay in. Most claim 8 dependents, thus low tax deductions. Citizens should not be forced to house, feed, school and provide FREE healthcare to illegals. Then there's the assisted utility programs.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Southsider

Burnsville, MN

#6 Mar 10, 2011
The hidden cost of illegal immigration is not in the benefits collected directly by the illegal immigrant. Rather, the U.S. born children of these immigrants are American citizens and entitled to all legal benefits. Most of the parents have low-paying jobs, and the children are more likely to qualify for medical assistance and food stamps. That is where the state pays heavily for the parents' illegal presence. It would be interesting to know how many children on public assistance in Minnesota have parents who are not legally in this country, and how much the state is actually paying.
God bless US

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Mar 10, 2011
God bless USA
Everybody against the immigration (legal or illegal) have some form of life hardship , poor or underemplyed I assume and they believe the reason for their misery is the immigrants stealing jobs from the hardworking Americans ? You have been nationally dreaming , the reality is hardly explainable to people like you! Consult with an economist or business owner ...:

The only reason the illegals are allowed to be here is profit! Profit for the business they work for, simple free market condition, imagine you are owner of construction company in the summer heat who you would hire? Or you are the owner of meat processing plant who would you hire? Or you own landscaping business... So they ( some politicians ) makes believe that the immigrants are the reason for the downturn of the states income ? Is exactly the opposite ! Without immigrant labor any producing factory would move out of the US it is happening don't tell me you don't see it! So about the bankruptcy of the states simple economics, the main revenue for the states budgets is sales and real estate taxes! Yes or no? So without the foreign hardworking community which is about 40 million immagine what would happen to those revenues and the housing market ( rental or to own )! Any politician proposing something for deportation or something for that 40 million community is clearly thinking for his own future being reelected ! In the USA you buy house for 100 grand but you owe to the banks 350 000 you buy a car for 30 000 but in 5 years you owe 40 000 and when you deceide to sell it it cost 5000$ there are the real crimes thiefs and parasites! not the hardworking 6,50$ an hour fruit pickers from our agriculture fields !

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Jan 11

United States

#8 Mar 10, 2011
Why isnt she detained and deported, is there no rule of law.
Irishking

United States

#9 Mar 10, 2011
The information and data provided by the writer are outright lies!!!!
Illegals DO NOT pay any Federal and\or State taxes, period!!!
Here is how it works:
When they enter this country illegally the first thing they do is illegally obtain fake Social Security Numbers(SSN), Drivers License(DL), and Birth Certificates.
When they are hired at a job they are handed a W-4 form. They then illegally list nine(9) dependents. Thus, there is no Federal and States taxes witheld from their paychecks.
And, because they are here illegally and have fake SSNs, they do not file any Federal and State tax returns the following April 15th.
They DO NOT pay any Income taxes.
Yet, they receive all the benefits!!!
What part of ILLEGAL do you not understand!!!!
candid

Miami, FL

#10 Mar 10, 2011
I agree that illegals should not be given social services.

I disagree with some of the villification of illegals. I have respect for anyone willing to rise before dawn to work the Home Depot lot in search for an honest day's work filled with hard labor. Many of our legal citizens could stand to learn from their work ethic. But that doesn't exhonerate illegals for their illegal entry.

Working here for low wages and no social services benefits should be the risks they run for entering illegally. What do you expect when you break the law and aren't supposed to be here? Immigrate legally and then we'll talk.
Citizen

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Mar 10, 2011
True true that's why they are allowed to be here in first place
The real - NICE

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Mar 10, 2011
candid wrote:
I agree that illegals should not be given social services.
I disagree with some of the villification of illegals. I have respect for anyone willing to rise before dawn to work the Home Depot lot in search for an honest day's work filled with hard labor. Many of our legal citizens could stand to learn from their work ethic. But that doesn't exhonerate illegals for their illegal entry.
Working here for low wages and no social services benefits should be the risks they run for entering illegally. What do you expect when you break the law and aren't supposed to be here? Immigrate legally and then we'll talk.
The companies that hire ILLEGAL immigrants need to be jailed and fined heavily. If these people were not here, these jobs would have to pay citizens a decent wage. If these people were not here, rents and mortgages would be lower and maybe a person could survive on a lower paying job....lets stop glorifying these people. They are breaking the law. So she made 10,000 last year...how many children does she have which she uses to obtain food stamps, medical, housing etc....

And as far as the law that someone using a SS# that is not theirs is not identify theft? What the heck is going on in this country. It is indeed identity theft. STOP THIS BLEEDING HEART CRAP - we need to seriously straighten out this country. We are crashing and burning and seems people are ok with that.
the troll

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Mar 10, 2011
So all you self righteous thugs go clean the toilets and run the leaf blowers.
troll hoggin

Monroe, LA

#14 Mar 10, 2011
your mom IS a leaf blower

“Reduce immigration levels”

Since: Dec 06

Kings Mountain, NC

#15 Mar 10, 2011
For every $1.00 they pay in taxes they cost us $3.00 according to the Heritage Foundation.
candid

Miami, FL

#16 Mar 10, 2011
The real - NICE wrote:
<quoted text>
The companies that hire ILLEGAL immigrants need to be jailed and fined heavily. If these people were not here, these jobs would have to pay citizens a decent wage. If these people were not here, rents and mortgages would be lower and maybe a person could survive on a lower paying job....lets stop glorifying these people. They are breaking the law. So she made 10,000 last year...how many children does she have which she uses to obtain food stamps, medical, housing etc....
And as far as the law that someone using a SS# that is not theirs is not identify theft? What the heck is going on in this country. It is indeed identity theft. STOP THIS BLEEDING HEART CRAP - we need to seriously straighten out this country. We are crashing and burning and seems people are ok with that.
If you're an able bodied US-born citizen of at least slightly below-average intelligence (90+ IQ), and are past your early 20s and still have job skills that an uneducated no-english illegal can match, then you're in deep shit and it's your own fault. Not learning a trade or getting a degree only works if you're either some phenominal crackerjack salesman (few really are) or a one in a million entertainer/athlete. Getting rid of illegals won't help as much as getting more ambitious will. And whatever opportunities US-born day-laborers had (free public schooling for ALL til 12th grade) is surely far more than illegals did in their home countries.

Even legal immigrants will eat your lunch if you're a 34 year old US-born guy whose job skills are leaf blowing and ditch digging. And maybe even some sharp 16 year olds looking to earn college or 1st car money will be competition as well. That'ws life in the cold real world.
Dallas

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Mar 10, 2011
That's the free market what business of yours is to tell the tens of millions of employers who to hire , maybe that's why all US companies moved abroad you poor angry underemployed racist ! Slaves and immigrants found and build this country the gratest in the world !
candid

Miami, FL

#18 Mar 10, 2011
Illegals should be kept out because we cannot have unchecked immigration chaos. These illegals aren't paying into the system; therefore they shouldn't be allowed to take anything out. Furthermore, the policy of instant citizenship for children of illegals born in the US must end. If you're parents were here illegally, so are you the child.

But as for the tiresome whining from the USA-born that spent their high school years cutting class and drawing on bathroom walls instead of learning auto shop or Chemistry and now find themselves competing with illegals for menial jobs, well that could've been avoided. And teenagers and LEGAL immigrants will STILL be around to compete with them for those McJobs and opportunities in lawncare even if the illegals are chased out.
Red Ryder

Monroe, LA

#19 Mar 10, 2011
Massachusetts Dems: "Let Illegal Immigrants VOTE!"

Rep. Pam Richardson of Framingham wants the Massachusetts Democratic Party to advocate voting rights for illegal aliens.
You read that right.
A handful of liberal Massachusetts towns already allow legal resident aliens to vote in local elections. But Richardson wants illegal immigrants canceling out your vote for school committee and town selectman.
And she wants the state Democratic Party to lead the way.
At a local party platform meeting in Framingham, Richardson looked into a video camera and bemoaned the unfairness of the crimmigrant's plight:

"We have a large population of people living here who don't have the same rights and opportunities of the rest of us," she complained. "I'm talking about undocumented immigrants."

Most "unfair", she argues, is their exclusion from our democratic process.

"They don't feel that they have anyone to represent them [in government]. It's because they're not part of the democracy," Richardson told fellow Democrats.

You're right, Rep. Richardson. Illegal immigrants are not part of the Massachusetts voting population. Nor are felons, children, legal residents of other states or the criminally insane.
I just returned from Ireland where...

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/opinion/op_e...

I don't think that Pam has ever read the US Constitution. She probably majored in Post-Colonial Epistemology in college.

"Undocumented immigrants" my arse,They're illegal aliens.

I guess squatters are "undocumented home owners."
Burglars are "undocumented property owners."
Logically, we can explain away any crime by attaching the word "undocumented" to it.

I'm a little short on cash, so I'm going to become an undocumented cash withdrawer at my local bank. It's ok - right?
Speeders Kill Kids

Watseka, IL

#20 Mar 10, 2011
No benefits??? What about the free health care they get at ERs and the free k-12 their kids get?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owatonna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Extra Security at Owatonna High School (Nov '09) Jan 4 American_Jihad 58
Belart co. (Nov '07) Dec '14 liccon 97
Waseca Mayor! Oct '14 waseca man 2
Jays Football (Aug '08) Apr '14 Former student 250
Debate: Health Care - Waseca, MN (Mar '14) Mar '14 LCpl Caleb L Eric... 1
Hy-Vee plans expansion into Twin Cities (Mar '14) Mar '14 petrorolli 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jan '14 DutchQ 11
Owatonna Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Owatonna People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:22 pm PST

ESPN 1:22PM
Matthews fined $22K for block on QB Wilson
Yahoo! Sports 1:24 PM
What trick will Belichick pull from his hoodie sleeve next?
Bleacher Report 6:54 PM
Why Vikings Must Draft CB Quinten Rollins
Bleacher Report 5:47 AM
Dez Must Top Vikings' FA Wish List
NBC Sports 6:14 AM
Michael Bidwill on Larry Fitzgerald: We'll get this worked out