Owatonna dog park becomes reality

Owatonna dog park becomes reality

There are 2 comments on the Owatonna People's Press story from Oct 14, 2009, titled Owatonna dog park becomes reality. In it, Owatonna People's Press reports that:

Steele County is going to the dogs - but it's not a bad thing. The Steele County Board of Commissioners approved a conditional use permit which will allow Theresa and John Johnson to open the first ever dog park in Steele County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Owatonna People's Press.

Jan Carr

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Nov 11, 2009
I applaud the initiative taken by the Johnsons.

The number of parks like this are exploding across the country, partly because it's good for the dogs, but mostly because they provide a gathering place for dog owners and foster a real sense of community.

However, I think it was short sighted on the part of elected officials to reject the idea of a dog park because it was "too expensive" ($20,000) during these hard times.

Typically, dog owners are willing to pay an annual permit fee ranging from $25-40; these monies will quickly pay construction costs, but the fees will then become a revenue stream for the parks department for years to come (above maintenance costs).

Note that the Johnson's will charge uses $150 per year ($30 for each addition dog) for access to their park.

Michael Hess

Faribault, MN

#2 Jun 27, 2012
I paid the $150 for the year, they are now closed. Me looking at $75 out of my dogs pocket, she is the one that hurts right now. The money I gave was for my pup, she is the one that misses it. What do I do? I am sorry for misfortunes, my dog is the one suffering right now, I am a vegan and believe in animal rights more than the next. Keira wants this park back open. Thanks for reading.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owatonna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News West Concord police chief charged with shooting... (Feb '07) Jun '17 cjmartin 36
Eddy ritchie (Dec '16) Dec '16 Gomer 1 1
News URGENT: Tell Federal Women's Prison in Minnesot... (May '09) Dec '16 sobeit 11
News Owatonna Exchange Club to explore the history o... (Jan '10) May '16 allan pichner 11
News Minneapolis man charged with choking Owatonna g... (Apr '16) Apr '16 USA USA USA USA 17
News One injured in fireworks explosion in southeast... (Nov '08) Feb '16 Rhondasloveone 8
Looking for paranormal trackers to start a team (Sep '15) Sep '15 WolfTactix 1

Owatonna Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Owatonna Mortgages