Waseca teen killed by landscape block...

Waseca teen killed by landscape block that fell off truck

There are 24 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Aug 4, 2010, titled Waseca teen killed by landscape block that fell off truck. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A 17-year-old boy was killed when a landscape block fell off a truck and crashed through the windshield of a van in Steele County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
life is short

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Aug 4, 2010
i really feel for this guys family & friends; such a young person, taken away just like that, without any warning, nothing ..........

life is short; live it to it's fullest & tell those you love & care about how you feel about them

you just never know when it's time ..........
Mary

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Aug 4, 2010
zingbopper wrote:
Did they call him " blockhead "?
No but you are one. You must not have much of a brain to make a comment like that one.

Since: Jul 10

Duluth, MN

#7 Aug 4, 2010
Somebody needs to put a stop to these truck drivers and their carelessness. I cant count how many times Ive been hit with something that flys off one of the trailers. Rocks, wood boards, chunks of dried mud. They just want to get the job done and not worry about how they didnt do a good enough job securing their load. There are very few trailers that have long enough mud flaps to knock down debris, they continue to drive when one of the tires go flat and then tear off and it shoots everywhere, they dont wash off the bobcats or back hoes and the dried mud chunks go flying off when they hit a bump. Something needs to be done to protect the rest of us. These damn drivers think they own the road. I hope this driver gets prosecuted. I know if it was me driving my personal vehicle and I had something attached to the roof and it flew off and killed somebody, id be charged with negligence or some other charge. Dont give this guy a break.

“Obamacs at it's finest!”

Since: Mar 09

Anytown, Minnesota........

#10 Aug 4, 2010
wow, how unreal...such a tragedy. Amazing that whoever loaded and "secured" those bricks wasn't paying attention to exactly what they were doing...and now a young man is dead because of it. My heart goes out to this boy's family. The pain the parents will feel for losing a child is something they will live with forever. I know.
todd

United States

#12 Aug 4, 2010
lazy workers who stacked the block...i know how trucks should be loaded and this is the drivers falut all the way....lazyness and stupid caused this accident and i would sue like no other in the matter!
Commercial Trucker

Chippewa Falls, WI

#14 Aug 4, 2010
Nobama1980 wrote:
Somebody needs to put a stop to these truck drivers and their carelessness. I cant count how many times Ive been hit with something that flys off one of the trailers. Rocks, wood boards, chunks of dried mud. They just want to get the job done and not worry about how they didnt do a good enough job securing their load. There are very few trailers that have long enough mud flaps to knock down debris, they continue to drive when one of the tires go flat and then tear off and it shoots everywhere, they dont wash off the bobcats or back hoes and the dried mud chunks go flying off when they hit a bump. Something needs to be done to protect the rest of us. These damn drivers think they own the road. I hope this driver gets prosecuted. I know if it was me driving my personal vehicle and I had something attached to the roof and it flew off and killed somebody, id be charged with negligence or some other charge. Dont give this guy a break.
Be sure to focus your thoughts on those that cause the problems. Being in the trucking industry for the last 25 years, and driving for 10 of those years, I have seen many things on the highways. My personal opinion is that most of the problems are caused by people that are not professional working drivers, but weekend warrier - do it my self homeowners.

I have seen loads not properly secured from bricks, lumber, equipment, furniture, etc and 95% of the time it is not a professional working driver. Trailers that are draggin on the ground because of being overweight is a common practice too by do it yourselfers.

Commerical drivers have laws and regulations that they have to follow and can be monetarily penalized, as well as shut down if they don't follow those rules. I agree with you, that if the driver was guilty of not securing his load properly, he should be charged with what ever the law will allow.

Since: Jul 10

Duluth, MN

#15 Aug 4, 2010
Commercial Trucker wrote:
<quoted text>
Be sure to focus your thoughts on those that cause the problems. Being in the trucking industry for the last 25 years, and driving for 10 of those years, I have seen many things on the highways. My personal opinion is that most of the problems are caused by people that are not professional working drivers, but weekend warrier - do it my self homeowners.
I have seen loads not properly secured from bricks, lumber, equipment, furniture, etc and 95% of the time it is not a professional working driver. Trailers that are draggin on the ground because of being overweight is a common practice too by do it yourselfers.
Commerical drivers have laws and regulations that they have to follow and can be monetarily penalized, as well as shut down if they don't follow those rules. I agree with you, that if the driver was guilty of not securing his load properly, he should be charged with what ever the law will allow.
The weekend warrior was not who I was referring to. If youre one of the 5% of all drivers who isnt a complete idiot, then I would like to thank you for your kind and courteous driving. My post was about the other 95% who think they own the road and dont care about what happens behind them. Being youre a driver, what is the procedure when you have a flat on the semi trailer? And why do so many drivers continue to drive until it blows completely off, shooting debris everywhere?

ps, you are right about the weekend warriors though, I have seen it many times myself, plywood not secured, people who must have the same moving manual as the beverly hillbillys, people who dont know how to drive with a trailer. Your right man
dum dums

Cook, MN

#16 Aug 4, 2010
wow...what a freak accident.
Weirdo Alert

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Aug 4, 2010
Nobama1980 wrote:
<quoted text>
The weekend warrior was not who I was referring to. If youre one of the 5% of all drivers who isnt a complete idiot, then I would like to thank you for your kind and courteous driving. My post was about the other 95% who think they own the road and dont care about what happens behind them. Being youre a driver, what is the procedure when you have a flat on the semi trailer? And why do so many drivers continue to drive until it blows completely off, shooting debris everywhere?
ps, you are right about the weekend warriors though, I have seen it many times myself, plywood not secured, people who must have the same moving manual as the beverly hillbillys, people who dont know how to drive with a trailer. Your right man
Did somebody hate Mr. Obama so much to give himself a moniker like that.

Did you read on the news the other day that wacko neighbor who tried to
fram another neighbor by sending death threat to Joe Biden and Obama?

Somehow Wackos like you have an agenda only fools would understand.....fools
who live down south.

Society is richly filled with folks like you and this idiot truck driver even
though you try to sound smart in your postings.....your moniker says a different
thing.....HILLBILLY.

Hypocrite stop bashing others as you are one too.

Since: Jul 10

Duluth, MN

#18 Aug 4, 2010
Weirdo Alert wrote:
<quoted text>
Did somebody hate Mr. Obama so much to give himself a moniker like that.
Did you read on the news the other day that wacko neighbor who tried to
fram another neighbor by sending death threat to Joe Biden and Obama?
Somehow Wackos like you have an agenda only fools would understand.....fools
who live down south.
Society is richly filled with folks like you and this idiot truck driver even
though you try to sound smart in your postings.....your moniker says a different
thing.....HILLBILLY.
Hypocrite stop bashing others as you are one too.
Are you alerting everybody about yourself? What a whackjob. Take your spam elsewhere. Did you know that its Obama's "supposive" b-day today? So sorry if my moniker offends you. Sounds like you would like a little censorship here on topix. Go figure you would.
Hurting in SD

Estelline, SD

#19 Aug 4, 2010
I came on this site when I was looking for more news on this teen. I am saddened at the lack of respect. This teen spent last weekend with my son. You all cannot imagine the hell they are going through unless you have expirenced it your self. A semi truckdriver killed my teenage neice 7 yrs ago in a bad snow storm, He quit trucking. He was 53 and had a family too. Have a heart for all involved. And please pray for this family..
the troll

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Aug 4, 2010
Weirdo Alert wrote:
<quoted text>
Did somebody hate Mr. Obama so much to give himself a moniker like that.
Did you read on the news the other day that wacko neighbor who tried to
fram another neighbor by sending death threat to Joe Biden and Obama?
Somehow Wackos like you have an agenda only fools would understand.....fools
who live down south.
Society is richly filled with folks like you and this idiot truck driver even
though you try to sound smart in your postings.....your moniker says a different
thing.....HILLBILLY.
Hypocrite stop bashing others as you are one too.
associating this guy with that post is an insult to the "hill people".
Mike

Alexandria, MN

#21 Aug 4, 2010
With all the stuff being hauled on the roads, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. You see big loads on flatbeds that are held down by nothing more than a big strap. Looks really dangerous to me.
garyr

Lakeville, MN

#22 Aug 4, 2010
I work as a forklift/skid steer operator at a landscape supply business in the Twin Cities. We load, unload 48 foot flatbeds all the time. The company drivers who do our trucking MAKES SURE that the product in question (pavers, retaining wall, etc) is properly loaded. Tins are used and the load is strapped properly. The straps are tight (Just like you see on Ice Road Truckers).

I agree with Commercial Trucker - it is the weekend warrior that is a real concern. I have more stories than Carter has pills. I gotta believe this is a freak accident.

And to those who think truckers 'own' the road should perhaps take a look at themselves. Don't pull in front of a tractor/trailer and slam on the brakes. You gotta death wish? Stopping 100,000 pounds is NOT the same as braking your Toyota Corolla.
Abby

Saint Paul, MN

#23 Aug 4, 2010
My condolences to the family.

I know that this truck was going the opposite way, but in regards to material flying off trucks I would urge all parents to teach their children to try to avoid driving behind vehicles carrying loads or towing something as much as they possibly can.
Jamie

Mankato, MN

#24 Aug 4, 2010
Nobama1980 wrote:
Somebody needs to put a stop to these truck drivers and their carelessness. I cant count how many times Ive been hit with something that flys off one of the trailers. Rocks, wood boards, chunks of dried mud. They just want to get the job done and not worry about how they didnt do a good enough job securing their load. There are very few trailers that have long enough mud flaps to knock down debris, they continue to drive when one of the tires go flat and then tear off and it shoots everywhere, they dont wash off the bobcats or back hoes and the dried mud chunks go flying off when they hit a bump. Something needs to be done to protect the rest of us. These damn drivers think they own the road. I hope this driver gets prosecuted. I know if it was me driving my personal vehicle and I had something attached to the roof and it flew off and killed somebody, id be charged with negligence or some other charge. Dont give this guy a break.
I completely agree They do think they rule the road. I was hit by one that ran a red light.
Commercial Trucker

Chippewa Falls, WI

#25 Aug 5, 2010
Nobama1980 wrote:
<quoted text>
The weekend warrior was not who I was referring to. If youre one of the 5% of all drivers who isnt a complete idiot, then I would like to thank you for your kind and courteous driving. My post was about the other 95% who think they own the road and dont care about what happens behind them. Being youre a driver, what is the procedure when you have a flat on the semi trailer? And why do so many drivers continue to drive until it blows completely off, shooting debris everywhere?
ps, you are right about the weekend warriors though, I have seen it many times myself, plywood not secured, people who must have the same moving manual as the beverly hillbillys, people who dont know how to drive with a trailer. Your right man
Drivers cannot always tell they have a flat on a trailer until it does blow out. By then it is too late. Remember the trailer tires are at least 40-50 feet behind the driver on a trailer. It is not like the 4 wheels on a car where you will 'feel' the car handle differently.

If you have any friends that are truckers, ask to ride along for a day, and I think you will have a different opinion about the truckers, and the motoring public.

Since: Jul 10

Duluth, MN

#26 Aug 5, 2010
Commercial Trucker wrote:
<quoted text>
Drivers cannot always tell they have a flat on a trailer until it does blow out. By then it is too late. Remember the trailer tires are at least 40-50 feet behind the driver on a trailer. It is not like the 4 wheels on a car where you will 'feel' the car handle differently.
If you have any friends that are truckers, ask to ride along for a day, and I think you will have a different opinion about the truckers, and the motoring public.
Every tire that Ive seen on a semi trailer that is flat makes the trailer wobble. How can that not be felt? Cant you still drive for a while when the inside tire blows? In my mind, with no expirience driving a semi, the driver is on a paid schedule and doesnt want to spend his time with a repair if he can still get to his destinantion. A paid schedule that often results in lack of attention securing his load. Being a driver wouldnt you agree there are a lot of yahoos out there who just care about getting from point A to point B?

Since: Jul 10

Duluth, MN

#27 Aug 5, 2010
garyr wrote:
I work as a forklift/skid steer operator at a landscape supply business in the Twin Cities. We load, unload 48 foot flatbeds all the time. The company drivers who do our trucking MAKES SURE that the product in question (pavers, retaining wall, etc) is properly loaded. Tins are used and the load is strapped properly. The straps are tight (Just like you see on Ice Road Truckers).
I agree with Commercial Trucker - it is the weekend warrior that is a real concern. I have more stories than Carter has pills. I gotta believe this is a freak accident.
And to those who think truckers 'own' the road should perhaps take a look at themselves. Don't pull in front of a tractor/trailer and slam on the brakes. You gotta death wish? Stopping 100,000 pounds is NOT the same as braking your Toyota Corolla.
I in no way am sticking up for all the stupid personal vehicle drivers out there. I agree with you, some people just dont understand that rudely pulling out in front of a semi is a whole lot different that rudely pulling out in front of a car. Whats the protocol when loading the machines? Do they have to be sprayed clean? And if so how many drivers actually do spray the dried mud off? Also, with that being said about the personal vehicle drivers, when I say "own the road" why do semis pass other semis so freaking slow? I drive on 35 90 miles a day and multiple times everyday some dip driver tries to pass another driver and it seems to be the longest pass in the guiness book, often taking over a mile. Thats hogging the road. Thats thinking you own the road when there is a line on 20 cars behind you doing well under the posted speed limit.
trolls

Hugo, MN

#28 Aug 5, 2010
I heard on the radio this morning that the guy driving the truck was fined last year for not securing a load properly. In that case he also had something fall off his truck but it did not hit anyone. I guess he didn't learn his lesson.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owatonna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Belart co. (Nov '07) Nov 29 Mary 106
News Owatonna Exchange Club to explore the history o... (Jan '10) May '16 allan pichner 11
News Tink Larson Reflects On Fire That Destroyed Par... (Apr '16) Apr '16 Spotted Girl 2
News Minneapolis man charged with choking Owatonna g... (Apr '16) Apr '16 USA USA USA USA 17
News One injured in fireworks explosion in southeast... (Nov '08) Feb '16 Rhondasloveone 8
News Salmon Hardware 'had worn wooden floors through... (Sep '15) Dec '15 Fat guy with a po... 2
Looking for paranormal trackers to start a team (Sep '15) Sep '15 WolfTactix 1

Owatonna Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Owatonna Mortgages