Five Tulsa-area districts firm in opp...

Five Tulsa-area districts firm in opposing vouchers

There are 45 comments on the Tulsa World story from Jan 10, 2011, titled Five Tulsa-area districts firm in opposing vouchers. In it, Tulsa World reports that:

Five Tulsa-area school districts remain firm in their decisions not to adhere to a new law directing public school districts to pay for private school tuition for special education students.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Tulsa World.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
dane

United States

#41 Jan 18, 2011
shovelhead72 wrote:
The aove statements are all true. I did the same as you did, was reading at a college level in fourth grade, and my parents were big fans of saying "Look it up, honey."
So I did.
I still love the library.
Oh I know. I was reading at college level by first grade and got bored pretty quick. My mom refused to let me skip ahead because she thought it would be wrong for me NOT to be around kids my own age. That blew up in her face when I turned out to be bullied and a loner. I guess I see her point but I think letting a kid skip a grade, maybe two, wouldn't do any damage.

As far as public schools go, I am constantly getting the impression with my own kids that the teachers just want to hold the smarter kids back and keep everyone dumbed down to one level.

“searching myself”

Since: Sep 09

In Charming CA

#42 Jan 18, 2011
dane wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I know. I was reading at college level by first grade and got bored pretty quick. My mom refused to let me skip ahead because she thought it would be wrong for me NOT to be around kids my own age. That blew up in her face when I turned out to be bullied and a loner. I guess I see her point but I think letting a kid skip a grade, maybe two, wouldn't do any damage.
As far as public schools go, I am constantly getting the impression with my own kids that the teachers just want to hold the smarter kids back and keep everyone dumbed down to one level.
Mom let me skip from first to third grade, and it did me no harm, I can tell you.(I was a bit of a loner, but I always had at least one or two friends.) I had a pretty good public education, but I WANTED it. I put in the effort to do the work, to my very best ability, and was always hounding my teachers for extra credit.(I was kind of a brown nose too, I'm afraid, probably why I had few friends....)
dane

United States

#43 Jan 19, 2011
shovelhead72 wrote:
<quoted text>Mom let me skip from first to third grade, and it did me no harm, I can tell you.(I was a bit of a loner, but I always had at least one or two friends.) I had a pretty good public education, but I WANTED it. I put in the effort to do the work, to my very best ability, and was always hounding my teachers for extra credit.(I was kind of a brown nose too, I'm afraid, probably why I had few friends....)
Do you ever get the impression, even as an adult, that the vast majority of the people you encounter are just plain stupid? I know this sounds mean, but I've often felt that not everyone should be allowed an eduction. Sometimes I think that if a stupid kids are allowed an education, that it could make them dangerous. Not ignorant kids, mind you, but just downright stupid.

“searching myself”

Since: Sep 09

In Charming CA

#44 Jan 19, 2011
dane wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you ever get the impression, even as an adult, that the vast majority of the people you encounter are just plain stupid? I know this sounds mean, but I've often felt that not everyone should be allowed an eduction. Sometimes I think that if a stupid kids are allowed an education, that it could make them dangerous. Not ignorant kids, mind you, but just downright stupid.
At the risk of incriminating myself,(I'm an autism paraprofessional) I have to say yes.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#45 Jan 19, 2011
dane wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you ever get the impression, even as an adult, that the vast majority of the people you encounter are just plain stupid? I know this sounds mean, but I've often felt that not everyone should be allowed an eduction. Sometimes I think that if a stupid kids are allowed an education, that it could make them dangerous. Not ignorant kids, mind you, but just downright stupid.
After being gone from Oklahoma I came back and to my surprise it seems like people are dumber here than when I left 43 years earlier. I said 70% of Okies are flat out stupid. A friend of mine who was born here, raised here and lives here said I'm being far too generous. He pegs it at about 95%

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owasso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lip Service Debbie Ruggles Tulsa Transit & Dall... (Mar '16) Sat tulsaTRANSITsux 12
anyone want roxys Feb 15 Luther Heggs 8
News Educate Oklahoma: Inmates Receiving An Education Feb 15 Black Terror 3
News Meet the teenage sex swap lovers (Jul '13) Feb 15 saqi49 185
Reporter Kelly Hines WTF Feb 14 Jamie Dudee 10
News Wagoner County man says ADA hit him with car wh... Feb 14 otis 1
News Man Charged In Tulsa Murder (Jul '09) Feb 13 MattsAbitch 9

Owasso Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Owasso Mortgages