DA Tim Harris Furious With Local Lawmakers, Meth Bill Fails

Feb 23, 2012 Full story: KTUL-TV Tulsa 37

Tulsa's District Attorney is fighting mad, in the war on meth. Tim Harris is angry that a bill failed.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#21 Feb 29, 2012
Punish the Criminals not the Citizens, you dumb ass Okies never cease to amaze me!

Location hidden

#22 Feb 29, 2012
This dumb ass law will just make Meth manufacturing more profitable for the Mexican drug cartels. Supply and demand factor.
Their Own Rules

Tulsa, OK

#23 Feb 29, 2012
WMCOL wrote:
<quoted text>
==========
That's their own House Rules for bringing an issue to the full House. They can change them if they like but the process is Constitutional by Oklahoma and U.S. Constitutions.
The time to think about the rules is when they are proposed and not just when they have an effect you don't like.
You said it right....."That's their own House Rules...." It is not in the constitution, either the state or the national constitution. When the Speaker of the House can take a bill, that was voted out of a committee, and was to be heard on the floor of the House, and he can stick in his pocket and it not be heard, because HE is the speaker of the house, then that is crap. If you think that is right then we can agree to disagree.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#24 Feb 29, 2012
Drug Company Process wrote:
<quoted text>
The process that you speak of is the drug companies that make millions of dollars on the dry form of their allergy medicines that are used to make meth. They would lose millions of dollars if the laws were passed, so they donate hundreds of thousands of dollars to the legislator's campaign funds, as a donation of course! I guess that is the process you are speaking of? Because the seven legislators that voted against ALL of the meth bills accepted thousands of dollars of drug company donations.
==========

If the drug is deemed to be safe for over the counter use the fact that it may be used for illicit purposes should not restrict it to prescription only, the amount of money the drug companies may make either way is irrelevant to the bigger issue of preserving liberty and freedom.

There was a time when some few wanted to place restrictions on the purchase of sugar because it was used to make bootleg whiskey.

Start restricting liberty and freedom and next it will require a doctors order or a government permit to purchase alcohol, paint thinner, brake fluid, camp fuel, lye, drain cleaner, eye drops, iodine, SALT, gasoline, and any number of items we use in the routine course of our daily lives.
My family

Tulsa, OK

#25 Feb 29, 2012
Vandalia Guy wrote:
Punish the Criminals not the Citizens, you dumb ass Okies never cease to amaze me!
All of my family has allergies.....and they take allergy medicine daily. And we all take gel cap and liquid allergy medicine now....and it is no problem at all. For you, or our wonderful legislators, to say that this is punishing people is ludicrious.
Your Family

Tulsa, OK

#26 Feb 29, 2012
WMCOL wrote:
<quoted text>
==========
If the drug is deemed to be safe for over the counter use the fact that it may be used for illicit purposes should not restrict it to prescription only, the amount of money the drug companies may make either way is irrelevant to the bigger issue of preserving liberty and freedom.
There was a time when some few wanted to place restrictions on the purchase of sugar because it was used to make bootleg whiskey.
Start restricting liberty and freedom and next it will require a doctors order or a government permit to purchase alcohol, paint thinner, brake fluid, camp fuel, lye, drain cleaner, eye drops, iodine, SALT, gasoline, and any number of items we use in the routine course of our daily lives.
I can only hope and pray that your family is not touched by one of these meth cooks that burn structures daily. I can only hope that you can survive in your world and not be affected by the element of people that will prey on you, no matter who you are or where you are. You talk of liberties.....take the time to take a look at a child, who can't run from the meth fire, that has been burned up and then talk about liberties.......

Location hidden

#27 Feb 29, 2012
My family wrote:
<quoted text>
All of my family has allergies.....and they take allergy medicine daily. And we all take gel cap and liquid allergy medicine now....and it is no problem at all. For you, or our wonderful legislators, to say that this is punishing people is ludicrious.
Gel caps make you sick and so does the liquid with all the alcohol try the pill form it works better.

Location hidden

#29 Feb 29, 2012
Your Family wrote:
<quoted text>
I can only hope and pray that your family is not touched by one of these meth cooks that burn structures daily. I can only hope that you can survive in your world and not be affected by the element of people that will prey on you, no matter who you are or where you are. You talk of liberties.....take the time to take a look at a child, who can't run from the meth fire, that has been burned up and then talk about liberties.......
==========

The PSE by prescription has proved to be ineffective in reducing meth production. More comes in from Mexico and alternative methods are available that don't require PSE.

The biggest inconvenience is to people who have to take off from work, go to a doctor, and pay a higher price for the cold medicine. The meth cooks keep cooking strong as ever.

It's unfortunate but children will continue to be injured as a result of illicit activity, whether it is meth making, a policeman shooting a baby in the head in self-defense against a bad guy using child for cover, or whether it is activity such as vehicular collisions where a child is crushed to death.

2000 children die each year from injuries sustained in vehicular accidents. A few children die each year from meth related incidents, but if all life is important, no less attention should be placed on reducing number of children injured and killed by vehicles.
Slip of the Tongue

Sand Springs, OK

#30 Mar 1, 2012
WMCOL wrote:
<quoted text>
==========
The PSE by prescription has proved to be ineffective in reducing meth production. More comes in from Mexico and alternative methods are available that don't require PSE.
The biggest inconvenience is to people who have to take off from work, go to a doctor, and pay a higher price for the cold medicine. The meth cooks keep cooking strong as ever.
It's unfortunate but children will continue to be injured as a result of illicit activity, whether it is meth making, a policeman shooting a baby in the head in self-defense against a bad guy using child for cover, or whether it is activity such as vehicular collisions where a child is crushed to death.
2000 children die each year from injuries sustained in vehicular accidents. A few children die each year from meth related incidents, but if all life is important, no less attention should be placed on reducing number of children injured and killed by vehicles.
With the slip of the tongue, a person can tell alot about themselves. We are talking about meth labs and how to try and control them, and you respond with a statement of....."whether it is meth making, a policeman shooting a baby in the head in self-defense against a bad guy using child for cover"..... That statement says alot. You obviously have a major problem with police and thus, a tool that the police would use to do a better job is an infringment of YOUR rights. If you don't like police, say so. We are talking about meth labs, and in the State of Oregon, meth labs dropped to single digit figures and have remained there. That is not working? Meth will be cooked elsewhere and brought into Oklahoma, we know that. But it won't be cooked here...that is the entire push. Your slip of the tongue told me how you feel about law and order.

Location hidden

#31 Mar 1, 2012
Slip of the Tongue wrote:
<quoted text>
With the slip of the tongue, a person can tell alot about themselves. We are talking about meth labs and how to try and control them, and you respond with a statement of....."whether it is meth making, a policeman shooting a baby in the head in self-defense against a bad guy using child for cover"..... That statement says alot. You obviously have a major problem with police and thus, a tool that the police would use to do a better job is an infringment of YOUR rights. If you don't like police, say so. We are talking about meth labs, and in the State of Oregon, meth labs dropped to single digit figures and have remained there. That is not working? Meth will be cooked elsewhere and brought into Oklahoma, we know that. But it won't be cooked here...that is the entire push. Your slip of the tongue told me how you feel about law and order.
==========
Nope, the person I responded to spoke DIRECTLY to children being injured due to the manufacture of Meth, and he/she made an emotional plea not based on the credible facts. Pretty much like you just did. Sure hope you are not a cop. If you are you are in wrong profession.
Credibility

Sand Springs, OK

#32 Mar 2, 2012
WMCOL wrote:
<quoted text>
==========
Nope, the person I responded to spoke DIRECTLY to children being injured due to the manufacture of Meth, and he/she made an emotional plea not based on the credible facts. Pretty much like you just did. Sure hope you are not a cop. If you are you are in wrong profession.
Who determines credibility here on these forums? You? Who decides who is right and who is not right? You? Who decides who should be in a certain profession and who should not? You obviously. If someone does not agree with you, you get personal and skirt the issue. The State of Oregon has proven results to the RX only meth law and that is a fact...... What do you have to say about that?

Location hidden

#33 Mar 2, 2012
Credibility wrote:
<quoted text>
Who determines credibility here on these forums? You? Who decides who is right and who is not right? You? Who decides who should be in a certain profession and who should not? You obviously. If someone does not agree with you, you get personal and skirt the issue. The State of Oregon has proven results to the RX only meth law and that is a fact...... What do you have to say about that?
==========

The person who jumped to conclusion without probale cause is the one who "skirted" the issue, not me, and if that person is a cop that kind of behavior indicates he/she may be in wrong profession.

The Oregon law has "proven results" that the prescrition law does not reduce meth manufacturing, and "that is a fact".

I respect the uniform, badge, and the law, and will ALWAYS make sure cops do the same.
Not in Oregon

Tulsa, OK

#35 Mar 3, 2012
WMCOL wrote:
<quoted text>
==========
The person who jumped to conclusion without probale cause is the one who "skirted" the issue, not me, and if that person is a cop that kind of behavior indicates he/she may be in wrong profession.
The Oregon law has "proven results" that the prescrition law does not reduce meth manufacturing, and "that is a fact".
I respect the uniform, badge, and the law, and will ALWAYS make sure cops do the same.
You say that the RX law does not reduce meth manufacturing...how do you figure that? In the State of Oregon, they have documented years of drastic reductions. What numbers are you looking at??
Leo

Tulsa, OK

#36 Mar 3, 2012
Mr. Harris is a bit of a prima donna when it comes to people doing what he says. He doesn't get his way so he pitches a tantrum. He has no proof that taking good medicine away from citizens will stop this drug but he likes the idea of shifting the work off of his desk and to doctors to handle so he can dodge the blame because it is his job to stop crime and he cannot do that job. It pisses him off that the state government is looking out for the good people in this state and not after his little prima donna job and trying to stop his princess attitude from generating another public fit.

Location hidden

#37 Mar 3, 2012
Not in Oregon wrote:
<quoted text>
You say that the RX law does not reduce meth manufacturing...how do you figure that? In the State of Oregon, they have documented years of drastic reductions. What numbers are you looking at??
==========

What numbers are you looking at? The numbers I saw for Oregon at the very beginning of this discuission showed insignificant reduction in meth making, and certainly did not justify depriving citizens of their liberty.
Numbers are Online

Sand Springs, OK

#38 Mar 4, 2012
WMCOL wrote:
<quoted text>
==========
What numbers are you looking at? The numbers I saw for Oregon at the very beginning of this discuission showed insignificant reduction in meth making, and certainly did not justify depriving citizens of their liberty.
We have all assumed that since you have posted thousands of remarks, on numerous forums, that you might be able to find the statistics on the meth labs in Oregon, and the results of their RX only meth law that was enacted in 2004. Obviously you either have not found the stats, or choose not to look at them....

The meth labs that were found, in the State of Oregon, beginning in the year before their RX only meth law was enacted are: 2004- 467, 2005- 190, 2006- 50, 2007- 21, 2008- 19, 2009- 12 and 2010- 9.

Now if that is not a significant drop in the number of labs, due to their RX only meth law, I'm not sure what is! The RX law works. And the companies that make the dry products that are used to make meth could care less what their products are used for...they only care that they sell so their profits remain high.
Blind Eye

Sand Springs, OK

#39 Mar 6, 2012
WMCOL wrote:
<quoted text>
==========
You are obviously looking the other direction when you say you can't see any difference in the number of meth labs that have been found in Oregon, after the RX only meth law took effect. In 2004 there were 467 labs found, in 2005 there were 190 labs found and in 2010 there were 9 labs found. What numbers are you looking at because on any statatical base, from Oregon, these are the numbers quoted.....??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owasso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shocking Video Leads To Rescue Of Dogs From Ida... 2 hr betty 1
Carl Michael Ruth, Jr. 4 hr been there 85
Oklahoma Department of Human Services 5 hr Beesil Wilson 2
Fugitive puts up fight before arrest (Nov '10) 8 hr Steve Motsenbocker 16
Free Fire Alarm For Hearing Impaired Saves Tuls... Tue Sylvia 1
KMOD Morning Host Biggie Shay Dies At 40 Tue pee cock 2
Directv referral code (Aug '12) Tue Savewithdirectv 78
Owasso Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Owasso People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:01 pm PST

Bleacher Report 2:01PM
Should Jerry Now Be Considered a Top-Quality GM?
NFL 6:28 AM
Witten: It's 'silly' to think Murray is easily replaceable
NBC Sports 7:10 AM
Jason Witten: Every back couldn't do what DeMarco Murray did this season
Bleacher Report 9:39 AM
Murray Will Command Up to $10M Per Year
NBC Sports 9:48 AM
Tony Romo: I have to be better