Tips to help parents, students as FCA...

Tips to help parents, students as FCAT begins Tuesday in Orland...

There are 71 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Feb 10, 2008, titled Tips to help parents, students as FCAT begins Tuesday in Orland.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

When Evans High School students bend their heads to take the 2008 Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test, dozens of community members will bow their heads, too -- in prayer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Aislin

Ashburn, VA

#63 Feb 13, 2008
mandingo wrote:
man, yall aint be got no betta tests fo dese here chidrin?
Are you really that stupid? Speak ENGLISH, or sit down and shut up until you learn to! This 'ganster' mentality is what is ruining our society.

And as for your previous comment about the FCAT being a "racist test designed to keep the brothers back", that is completly idiotic. That's just like a gansta-wannabe, playing the race card when the true problem is that blacks have been making excuses for their poor performance in school since the day they were born. Suck it up, do your school work, get a good job, and quit blaming everybody else for your own problems!
Paul S - Oviedo

Denver, CO

#64 Feb 14, 2008
Finally, I read something pertaining to the heart of this article. LAUREL posts that "praying and organizing a prayer chain to help the Pine Hills children succeed on the FCAT is yet more evidence of the low intelligence level".
That's a little harsh and should really refer to the ignorance level not necessarily intelligence level. But, for the most part she's right.
It is downright embarrassing to read that there are people in my community that would "pray" to their spaghetti monster or tripartite god for intercession on a test!
Think about what that says of us?
I was approached by a "journalist" from this organ. I considered the interview but decided against it after this "article" was written. I do not and can not allow myself to be associated with this sort of tripe and still hold my head up! That an erstwhile "newspaper" would give such prominence to the prayer part of this story is absurd in this day and age. It legitimises the specious arguments of those that would rely upon imaginary beings and remove hard, factual science from the curriculum of Florida's children.
Pah. What is to become of us?
Paul S - Oviedo

Denver, CO

#65 Feb 14, 2008
One more thing. It pertains to education as a whole really. Allow me to quote:

"Nature in 1998 reported a survey suggesting that belief in a personal god or afterlife was at an all-time low among the members of the U.S. National Academy of Science, only 7.0% of whom believed in a personal god as compared with more than 85% of the general U.S. population. In the same year Frank Sulloway of MIT and Michael Shermer of California State University conducted a study which found in their polling sample of "credentialed" U.S. adults (12% had Ph.Ds and 62% were college graduates) 64% believed in "God", and there was a correlation indicating that religious conviction diminished with education level. Such an inverse correlation between religiosity and intelligence has been found by 39 studies carried out between 1927 and 2002, according to an article in Mensa Magazine. These findings broadly concur with a 1958 statistical analysis from Professor Michael Argyle of Oxford University. He analyzed seven research studies that had investigated correlation between attitude to religion and measured intelligence among school and college students from the U.S."

It is apparent then - isn't it?- that we do indeed need to adopt stringent standards since the previous ones have so far failed us miserably.

Well, perhaps not me but an awful lot of "you".
andrea

Southampton, PA

#66 Feb 19, 2008
Just what do Christians think that prayers do anyway? Remind an all-knowing being that they need help? Command an all-powerful being to help them? Or is it that they just want to reinforce the baseless belief that they are some "precious snowflake" and some deity cares for them and only them passing a test when there are millions starving, being killed in religous violence, risking their lives trying to protect those people like our soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq, etc. The arrogance that it takes to do this is amazing and rather pitiful.
muumin

France

#67 Feb 21, 2008
please help me
muumin

France

#69 Feb 21, 2008
can you hear me
dre G

Converse, TX

#70 Jun 5, 2008
b/c of this test i can not move forward funny how i made A's and B's in highschool but for some reason this test i can not master. and there goes my college plans and my career plans. thanks lovely florida for pullin me back!
ZOWMAN

Pompano Beach, FL

#71 Jun 5, 2008
THIS TEST IS A WAST.
Glasnos

Apopka, FL

#72 Jun 5, 2008
ZOWMAN wrote:
THIS TEST IS A WAST.
This says it all!
This should be posted on the bulletin boards leading into the FCAT.
Here is what happens when kids are awarded diplomas without being tested.
mre

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

#73 Jan 13, 2010
Say What wrote:
"This test is all for the money that is put into the teachers pockets as bonuses. Its all about the money." Well, the last time I checked my collegues and I were not becoming wealthy from teaching. We do it because we love helping children and if we are chosen for a bonus it's great because that means we may be able to buy more items for our classroom. Please lay off the money issue and focus on the important question: Why are the children struggling to pass the FCAT?
what this perso says it absolutly true

“UNLESS !!!!!!!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#74 Feb 17, 2010
When we ask for a higher powers intervention then something must be seriously askew in educational policy. The FCAT is nothing more than a control mechanism to homogenize the upcoming crop of students. The overall educational funding and mandates associated with the test and programs like differential accountability ensure that districts are forced to teach a test. Let me say that again...forced to teach a test. Not to learn. Not to teach life skills or achieve scholarly merit, but to teach a test. We as a state have more resources than most and end up with the poorest rankings in most categories for the nation. As parents you should be asking why our resources are not being allocated more responsibly. Educational reform should be a major consideration in the upcoming elections for your state reps and senators. One candidate that I know takes educational policy very seriously is the challenger for State Senate 24 - Steve Edmonds. I found this on his blog - http://www.edmonds4senate24.com/...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oviedo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Family mourns slain video-store clerk (May '07) Sep 13 Ken 78
The Statue Must Come Down Sep 4 Watching You 1
Looking for relative of Jeff Mayer Aug '17 RonW 1
News Michael Rudisill, Sanford attorney, appointed j... (Jun '09) Aug '17 Mapgar38 32
News Deputies: Winter Park woman shot husband during... (Mar '17) Aug '17 zelskid 4
White people are devils! (Mar '17) Aug '17 KillerIsMyCat 10
News Seminole County to lay off at least 60 (May '09) Aug '17 American Hero 259

Oviedo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oviedo Mortgages