Overland Park bans pit bulls

Full story: KSHB

Pit bulls are no longer welcome in Overland Park. The City Council voted to prohibit people from bringing any more pit bills into this Kansas City suburb after hearing more than 2 1/2 hours of debate and public ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of154
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Jim Carr

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2006

Judged:

It's the owner not the dog that causes any breed to react!!!!!!!!
Knight

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2006

Judged:

ya!!! watch out for the Killer Poodles
and Bichon Frises Owners...!!(sp)!!!

Dogs are animals..(master of the obvious)
and should be treated like animals. They bite,
bark, bite, crap, eat and sleep. Some animals
are bred to do so..it's in thier bloodline.
Pit Bulls we're bred to..ummm...bite.

Problem is, they are probably the best bitters
out there.

I think banning is a step too far. They should have
introduced stricter laws and fees and fines...

One other issue, what do they do with mixxed breeds?

btw: any dog that bites and maims anyone should be put down.
Brown Eyed Girl

Roswell, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2006

Judged:

I agree with Knight. When I hear the saying "all dogs go to heaven"..I hope that the one exclusion is PIT BULLS!
Tori

Overland Park, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2006

Control Control
its off to control we go..
What's on the list now..
Think about people

How much will you allow to be taken
Houston

New Berlin, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2006

When I lived in Leavenworth; if you drove up near the base you would always see a bunch of teens/kids walking pit bulls on big thick leashes. At the time I assumed some one of them was breeding them and giving them to their friends.
A comforting sight.
Some days the only control I have is not to honk the horn as I sit roasting in traffic that won't move so that I can just get home.
Of course there are some things we just don't need to try and control anyway I think pit bulls counts as one of those things we can just let go of without too much hubbub.
Knight

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2006

Tonight on FOX! "When Bichon Frise Go WILD!!!" hosted
by Charles Barkley.
Give Me A Break

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2006

I am a resident of OP Kansas and have 1st hand experience with Pit Bulls. Our spineless City Council and elected officials have made what they would have you believe are some huge steps in controlling pit bulls. Not to bore you with all the mindless BS they are trying to sling, the high light of thier proposal is that current owners must raise their liability insurance from 50K to 300K.
I'm glad we now know what a human life is worth to the elected officials of Overland Park, KS.

HOW MANY PEOPLE MUST BE MAULED OR KILLED BEFORE SOMEONE TAKES THE APPROPRIATE ACTION????!!!!!!
Nancy

Prairie Village, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2006

Jim Carr wrote:
It's the owner not the dog that causes any breed to react!!!!!!!!
I think you're right ... To a point. Pit Bulls have an incredible jaw structure that makes them more lethal when they are improperly raised. Combine that with their natural aggressive tendencies, and you do have a lethal combination.

I've known MANY wonderful pitbulls. That makes it a very difficult issue for me. But, I've seen and heard a lot and I think for safety sake, we need to see a moratorium on breeding.

Maybe in a decade or so things could change. Right now, it's a bad scene.
pit bull lover

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2006

Judged:

Brown Eyed Girl wrote:
I agree with Knight. When I hear the saying "all dogs go to heaven"..I hope that the one exclusion is PIT BULLS!
I hope it excludes Brown Eyed Girls....
pit bull lover

California, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2006

Judged:

Nancy wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're right ... To a point. Pit Bulls have an incredible jaw structure that makes them more lethal when they are improperly raised. Combine that with their natural aggressive tendencies, and you do have a lethal combination.
I've known MANY wonderful pitbulls. That makes it a very difficult issue for me. But, I've seen and heard a lot and I think for safety sake, we need to see a moratorium on breeding.
Maybe in a decade or so things could change. Right now, it's a bad scene.
wrong....their jaw structure is exactly like any other dog....where do you people get this crap???
Knight

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2006

"where do you people get this crap???"

Geraldo at Large. >.>

I don't recall saying they have different jaw structres...but since this is a forum/net it's very hard to convey oneself without being misread.
pit bull lover

Portsmouth, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2006

Knight wrote:
Geraldo at Large. >.>
I don't recall saying they have different jaw structres...but since this is a forum/net it's very hard to convey oneself without being misread.
Geraldo....guess that explains a lot...

in this particular case you didn't say anything about the jaw structure....I was replying to someone else's quote...
pit bull lover

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2006

Knight wrote:
Geraldo at Large. >.>
Geraldo....that explains quite a bit...

in this instance you didn't say anything about the jaw structure....I was replying to someone else's quote....
pit bull lover

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2006

sorry....I thought the first post didn't go through....
Knight

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2006

sorry....I thought the first post didn't go through....

“*Puerto Rican Babe*”

Since: Jul 06

Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2006

LOL So exciting :-)
pit bull lover

California, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2006

Judged:

Give Me A Break wrote:
I am a resident of OP Kansas and have 1st hand experience with Pit Bulls. Our spineless City Council and elected officials have made what they would have you believe are some huge steps in controlling pit bulls. Not to bore you with all the mindless BS they are trying to sling, the high light of thier proposal is that current owners must raise their liability insurance from 50K to 300K.
I'm glad we now know what a human life is worth to the elected officials of Overland Park, KS.
HOW MANY PEOPLE MUST BE MAULED OR KILLED BEFORE SOMEONE TAKES THE APPROPRIATE ACTION????!!!!!!
"have 1st hand experience with Pit Bulls"...correction, you have 1st hand experience with a particular pit bull or possible pit bulls. However, that still does not give you the right to tell me what to do with my family dog (which is a pit bull....surprise!) I am sorry that you obviously had a bad expirence with an OWNER of a pit bull. But I am pretty sure that that animal had nothing personnally against you....irresponsible owners equal aggressive dogs (any breed dog). But I would like to see one of the pro ban people come explain to my children why they are taking away thier best friend for no apparent reason. Explain to a child that thier loving pet is going to be killed.
pit bull lover

Portsmouth, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2006

Judged:

Banning animal aggressive breeds and not addressing the issue of irresponsible ownership leaves irresponsible owners with the ability to get human aggressive breeds, is this really the right thing to do?

Where have breed bans worked? Sure, places like Denver reduced pit bull attacks but dog attacks in general are on the rise. Australia banned pit bulls and now Dingos are the breed of choice. Attack statistics reflect breed popularity and irresponsible ownership, not "problem breeds". NO study denies this...NONE.

Breed bans only cure phobias, not problems. The side effects of breed bans are:

A-MILLIONS of families lose a beloved pet and
B-things are more dangerous in areas where human aggressive breeds replaced animal aggressive breeds like pit bulls.
C-We lose our constitutional right to decide what breed of D-O-G we own, we're not talking about wild animals here, we're talking about a breed bred from the same terriers and bull dogs that many of todays other breeds came from. It's un-American.

Breed bans had there chance, they failed. It's time to listen to our experts, not mis-informed delusional people with no experience or understanding of breeds. Those people are now looking like they all fall into 2 different groups.

Group1-Misinformed and just not educated on the subject.

Group2-Irrational due to being blinded by a "pit bull paranoia".
Knight

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2006

"We lose our constitutional right to decide what breed of D-O-G we own"

Wait...what constitutional right?

"B-things are more dangerous in areas where human aggressive breeds replaced animal aggressive breeds like pit bulls."

Wait... your saying what (above) here? We ban Pit Bulls and other animals fill the void they left?

It's only 12:20 here...and your already drinking?
It's not even a Friday yet. lol
Knight

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2006

Judged:

"t's time to listen to our experts, not mis-informed delusional people with no experience or understanding of breeds"

Oh..addendum..I don't HAVE TO learn or study about all breeds. I know one thing- if a dog, pitbull or weinerdog bites my kids or family. I kill the dog with whatever I can put my hands on..probably a baseball bat to the head of the dog.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of154
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Overland Park Forum right now

Search the Overland Park Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Explosion Sound at 11:00am today... 17 hr Raquel 1
KS Kansas Right to Bear Arms Question, Constitutio... (Oct '10) 21 hr Bud 5,931
Light Mon guest 4
Were the Moors Black? (Dec '07) Jul 6 LION 582
KS Who do you favor in the Kansas governor's race? Jul 6 inquire 58
Specer Collins and the Little Free Library Jul 3 Grammy 1
Former OP detective accused of shoplifting, met... (Jul '08) Jun 25 Went to school with Nicki 84
•••
•••
•••
•••

Overland Park Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Overland Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••