TTU

Saint Louis, MO

#22 Feb 19, 2013
market values wrote:
Market values are set by the sale of like kind real estate in the area over the past several years. Cost and value are not equal.
The value of a neighborhood is assesed by many variables, including good schools, good municipality bond ratings, good fire protection, good infrastructure, etc. It takes lots of ingrediets to mix a good cake.
There are added factors when the bank owns an unoccupied house. Insuring an unoccupied house is riskier and more costly and thus there may be exclusions such as for vandalism and copper theft. Also banks hire companies to maintain the houses and that cost is just adds to the loss.

If the copper is stolen, the cost to replace it can be a substantial part of even a low value house. With the high risk of problems, plus winter heating costs, the banks know a loser when they see it and sell at a low price. This creates a downward spiral effect that can be quite rapid, hence the $15-40k sales prices we are seeing in FLOMO and surrounding areas.
Educ8tedBlackWom an

Saint Louis, MO

#23 Feb 19, 2013
Reverend Vegas wrote:
I'm sure property values will rise slightly with the national average but this area will never be "sought after" like West County etc..And as long as more ghetto trash moves into the area it will not get better. and that seems to be the trend...unfortunately.
I'm selling as well before the trash moves into my nook. I'm in the horse streets by Shackleford but you never know...
I made the mistake of being open minded about living along side a greater number of African Americans. I didn't have these feelings when I lived in West County. I should have listened to the people who I thought were just being racist.
I am so sorry you lazy Americans came and took us from our land where we were kings and queens and content to bring us here to do your physical labor. Now that we are here, you are crying about your property value? We are educated and hard working and living right next to you but you would rather for us to be in the slave quarters. Wow! I'm educating your children in the classroom..
DISGUSTED

Saint Louis, MO

#24 Feb 19, 2013
Educ8tedBlackWoman wrote:
<quoted text>I am so sorry you lazy Americans came and took us from our land where we were kings and queens and content to bring us here to do your physical labor. Now that we are here, you are crying about your property value? We are educated and hard working and living right next to you but you would rather for us to be in the slave quarters. Wow! I'm educating your children in the classroom..
If you're teaching in the HSD or FF districts, you're not doing much in the way of "educating". I for one am not advocating that you live in slave quarters. I didn't bring any black "kings and queens" to America (and by the way, it was those same dignitaries that sold you to the white man), nor have I ever owned a slave. I'm simply assessing what's happening in Florissant, and while there is plenty of blame to go around, the proliferation of the minority population has had an undeniable detrimental effect on property values. I find it interesting that you feel the need to point out the fact (assuming it's a fact) that you're an "educated black woman", implying that you are different in that regard from most black women or black people. If more black people were educated and hard working, I don't think you'd see white flight in areas like Florissant. But they're not, and thus you do. Sorry, but there's no other conclusion that an intelligent person (black or otherwise) can reach.
TTU

Saint Louis, MO

#25 Feb 19, 2013
DISGUSTED wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're teaching in the HSD or FF districts, you're not doing much in the way of "educating". I for one am not advocating that you live in slave quarters. I didn't bring any black "kings and queens" to America (and by the way, it was those same dignitaries that sold you to the white man), nor have I ever owned a slave. I'm simply assessing what's happening in Florissant, and while there is plenty of blame to go around, the proliferation of the minority population has had an undeniable detrimental effect on property values. I find it interesting that you feel the need to point out the fact (assuming it's a fact) that you're an "educated black woman", implying that you are different in that regard from most black women or black people. If more black people were educated and hard working, I don't think you'd see white flight in areas like Florissant. But they're not, and thus you do. Sorry, but there's no other conclusion that an intelligent person (black or otherwise) can reach.
Here here, this is uncalled for. Its black history month after all, lets let the woman have her say!
Educ8tedBlackWom an

Saint Louis, MO

#26 Feb 19, 2013
DISGUSTED wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you know what to do. White flight and we will be right behind you on our ships. Florissant, O'Fallon, West County, we up n here. Lol
Disgusted

United States

#27 Feb 19, 2013
<quoted text>
Well, you know what to do. White flight and we will be right behind you on our ships. Florissant, O'Fallon, West County, we up n here. Lol
Please tell me you're not really a teacher. My 8 year old son has a better writing skill set than you.
hardhead

Saint Louis, MO

#28 Feb 19, 2013
there is no black history, where ever the blacks have been is wiped out, ruined,they destroy everything they come in contact with. kings and queens, what a joke they are over there squatting in the dirt and swatting flies.like i said before,IF I WOULD HAVE KNOWN IT WAS GONNA BE LIKE THIS I WOULD HAVE PICKED MY OWN COTTON!
Educ8tedBlackWom an

Saint Louis, MO

#29 Feb 19, 2013
hardhead wrote:
there is no black history, where ever the blacks have been is wiped out, ruined,they destroy everything they come in contact with. kings and queens, what a joke they are over there squatting in the dirt and swatting flies.like i said before,IF I WOULD HAVE KNOWN IT WAS GONNA BE LIKE THIS I WOULD HAVE PICKED MY OWN COTTON!
I guess we jus plain tired masser. Our kin folks worked so hard that we still tired. We livin next to you in our section 8,9, and 10 houses jus Waitn' on our book of food stamps to get som rims on our rides.

Please get some help. You are sick and stuck in a time warp. We are here, accept it, get over it and I shall continue giving out the biggest smiles daily to the racist residents of Florissant. Continue to be bitter and hateful but do it alone.

That's so sad.:(.:(.:(
TTU

Saint Louis, MO

#30 Feb 20, 2013
hardhead wrote:
HH, you and EBW will have to work out all that reparations and food stamps stuff between yourselves. I don't have a dog in this fight, I've always been a polyester man.
hardhead

Saint Louis, MO

#31 Feb 20, 2013
<quoted text>
I guess we jus plain tired masser. Our kin folks worked so hard that we still tired. We livin next to you in our section 8,9, and 10 houses jus Waitn' on our book of food stamps to get som rims on our rides.
Please get some help. You are sick and stuck in a time warp. We are here, accept it, get over it and I shall continue giving out the biggest smiles daily to the racist residents of Florissant. Continue to be bitter and hateful but do it alone.
That's so sad.:(.:(.:(
i'm gonna do what ever i have to do to keep you stinkin black bastards away from me and mine, so get that though you thick nappy head.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#34 Feb 20, 2013
DISGUSTED wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm...I find your observations strange becaust just about every black person I know is educated at least at the Bachelor level and living in Florissant/North County. So see...there is probably a lot more educated blacks around you than you know.
ThinkW

Florissant, MO

#35 Feb 21, 2013
ThinkB wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm...I find your observations strange becaust just about every black person I know is educated at least at the Bachelor level and living in Florissant/North County. So see...there is probably a lot more educated blacks around you than you know.
But the educated still smell. Can't you all take a bath one in awhile.
She Carries

Chesterfield, MO

#36 Feb 21, 2013
I would short sale the home (look into the details). I would not want my children (they are adults now) attending any NoCo schools, sorry to say...not even Hazelwood West. I know people that have done this, and it's seemed to work out for them. Best of luck to you.
observer

Saint Louis, MO

#37 Feb 22, 2013
mistabone wrote:
I think we can now add into the real estate equation that Florissant (and most of North county) is now perceived to be contaminated by nuclear waste. Its kinda old news but has really exploded as of late with the KSDK news story about cancer clusters and the coldwater facebook page.
They are currently collecting more cancer data since the story broke 2 weeks ago and when they release the new data it could get very interesting.
Please someone tell me the color of those people that would utterly destroy a whole community (actually, the whole world) with this type of CONTAMINATION (radioactive waste).....there is no excuse for it and I would not want to live by them be they White, Black, Yellow, etc. LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE, and stop trying to blame one group; if you don't open your eyes it will be too late.
Perhaps all these people that left Florissant thought it was the African Americans that was their problem.....I don't think so, not by a long 9417 shot.

But, no, the housing values will not be coming back up in Florissant if you really want to know. Get out however you can and leave.
carl

Asheville, NC

#38 Feb 22, 2013
mistabone wrote:
I think we can now add into the real estate equation that Florissant (and most of North county) is now perceived to be contaminated by nuclear waste. Its kinda old news but has really exploded as of late with the KSDK news story about cancer clusters and the coldwater facebook page.
They are currently collecting more cancer data since the story broke 2 weeks ago and when they release the new data it could get very interesting.
I just saw another news story on this last night on channel 5. Wow, if this news really blows up (or goes national) it could definitely spell disaster to already struggling north county real estate market. If homeowners in this area are really concerned about this Id say try to sell ASAP or if you're underwater just do a strategic default and walk away and just rent until your credit recovers. Increasing crime, underwater mortgage, under-performing school districts, and now the revelation of nuclear waste exposure! I think at some point you just give up and move on.

Id really like to hear more opinions on how this news will affect the market.
carl

Asheville, NC

#39 Feb 24, 2013
Seriously? Nobody here has opinion about the recent big news about radioactive waste in north county if its going to have an effect on housing prices in the future?
Spell Check

Saint Louis, MO

#40 Feb 24, 2013
carl wrote:
Seriously? Nobody here has opinion about the recent big news about radioactive waste in north county if its going to have an effect on housing prices in the future?
All of North County will be relocated the same way as Times Beach.
TTU

Saint Louis, MO

#41 Feb 24, 2013
carl wrote:
I think that there has to be some credible information and data collected before we get all hysterical. I'm not going to get my boner all bent out of shape based on KSDK reporting and some Facebook postings.

Recall there was a similar scare in Weldon Springs based on its location in the exhaust flume of the Weldon Springs uranium processing plant. Similar thing, supposedly contaminated creeks and an abnormal number of cancers, lots of childhood leukemias as I recall.

But on the other hand, if it is true it could explain the recent successes of the Hazelwood C and McCluer North football programs. Instead of spider powers this radiation could be creating giant linemen, and running backs and quarterbacks with super powers.
natural

United States

#43 Feb 25, 2013
Yes, and every basement in america absorbs natural radiation coming out of the ground called radon. It is just as lethal. We are all exposed to radiation, be it the sun, the earth, and a variety of sources.
Cancer causing elements are everywhere, from the air we breath, to the smoke we take in, to the thousands of things we are all exposed too. Sometimes we do our selves harm, sometimes, mother nature takes care of it for us.
When we are born, we begin our journey to death.
All humans have an expiration date.
it is the cycle of life.
fact is

United States

#44 Feb 25, 2013
we humans to more harm to ourselves then most other causes. then we blame someone or something.

best advice, keep your god on speed dail

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Overland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Riots in Baltimore raise questions about police... 1 hr Silent Echo 2,034
When will hardhead leave this board 3 hr Bring It 9
blacks dont have to follow the same rules as th... 11 hr NoahLovesU 38
News Permanent Michael Brown memorial installed in F... 12 hr White Man 8
mike browns plaque 14 hr Bill 6
Quote Of The Week 18 hr hardhead 39
how long ? 22 hr CSM1 17
More from around the web

Overland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE