JMH

Florissant, MO

#168 Aug 14, 2013
I know in our case, it was a matter of safety, the riots at Northwest High School seemed to have started it. We couldn't just walk home from school, we HAD TO RUN and one day I remember we had to hide in a store front because of fights and gunshots on the streets. Not too many weeks after that incident I learned what "homicide" meant because there was one 4 houses down. We lived in the 5200 block of Genevieve. Most of our friend's families had already moved, it was no longer safe for their kids either. Not all moved to the suburbs, several moved to the "country" like Troy and O'Fallon, which was still the country back then. The demographics changed and to this day I am not sure where the violence came from or even why. I suppose at the age of 12 I just didn't get it. I had black friends in school and they were just as afraid.
St Adalbert

Indianapolis, IN

#169 Oct 1, 2013
St Matthew wrote:
Born in 1939 and lived on Wren. Moved to Gilmore then Wren again then Davison. My family (parents) moved to Jennings in 1957 but I continued to attend St. Matthew Lutheran Church until 1966 when I moved to St. Charles County. Attended St M Luth. School from k to 8. Loved Finneger's Bakery on West Florissant. I remember Diederich's Drug store on Wren and Thekla and Torbeck's Barber Shop next door to that. I do remember The Plover Market as mentioned by one of the other posters. Also, does anyone remember the great sled riding hill at Laboure High School? Went to both the Pauline and Rio theaters (Shows) many, many times. Five cents to get in to the Pauline and ten cents to get into the Rio. Went to Lombardo's Restaurant often after I moved out of the neighborhood, as my parents could not afford to go there when I was growing up.
Abut 12 years ago I got up the nerve to drive through the old neighborhood. Unfortunately, my house in the 5500 block of Davison was no longer there. Just a vacant lot. Wish I hadn't seen that! Would love to go to St. Matthew again for a visit, but I think the experience would be too depressing. How about the smell of apple butter cooking outdoors at the other church on Thekla Ave, about one block East of St. Matthew. Can't remember the name, though.
Did you live near 4738 Wren? My aunt/uncle lived there in the 1950s and 1960s and I remember traveling from WI with my parents to visit them during the summer. We would walk to St Adalberts for Mass on Sunday mornings. I googled the address and see that the house is now torn down. I wish I wouldn't have seen t either. I'm glad I read this forum. I was thinking of making a trip to SL and driving past her house. Reading the forum, I guess I might have gotten carjacked. Is it safe to go to the Calvary cemetery that is at the end of Wren Ave? My aunts are buried there. My
Did you live near 4738 Wren Ave? My aunt and uncle used to live there in the 1950s and 1960s and I remember traveling from WI with my parents to visit them during the summer.We would walk to St Adalberts for Mass on Sunday mornings. I googled my aunt's house and I see that it has been torn down. I wish I wouldn't have seen that. I'm glad I read this forum before driving from out of town to drive past her house. I didn't know the neighborhood had gotten so dangerous. Is it safe to go to Calvary Cemetery? My aunts are buried there but I don't want to get carjacked or worse.
St Matthew

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#170 Oct 2, 2013
To answer St Adalbert, I lived in the 5100 block of wren. I remember it being a two story brick flat and was the second house from the corner of Theodore and Wren if you were heading south on Wren. Thanks for the tip on Googling the house. Sadly, it's gone as well as the house I lived in on Davison, which I knew had been torn down. I think it's still okay to go to Calvary Cemetery, but then again there are no guarantees and I'd still be careful and watchful.

Since: Oct 13

Indianapolis, IN

#171 Oct 2, 2013
St Matthew wrote:
To answer St Adalbert, I lived in the 5100 block of wren. I remember it being a two story brick flat and was the second house from the corner of Theodore and Wren if you were heading south on Wren. Thanks for the tip on Googling the house. Sadly, it's gone as well as the house I lived in on Davison, which I knew had been torn down. I think it's still okay to go to Calvary Cemetery, but then again there are no guarantees and I'd still be careful and watchful.
I've been reading a book about the history of Polish immigrants and the St Louis ("Unyielding Spirit"). So sad that nothing remains of these neighborhoods like Walnut Park.
Historian

Cape Girardeau, MO

#172 Oct 2, 2013
St Adalbert wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been reading a book about the history of Polish immigrants and the St Louis ("Unyielding Spirit"). So sad that nothing remains of these neighborhoods like Walnut Park.
Iremember the homes that were torn down to build Pruitt Igoe.St Stanislausput up a good fight,too bad it's not a catholic church anymore.
EAH

Tampa, FL

#173 Oct 31, 2013
Hello fellow north siders. I lived @ Claxton and Thekla til all hell broke loose. Very sad after that. Walnut Parks downfall is just a small example of the collapse of the cities of our country. Not enough space here to elaborate.
fin

Washington, MO

#174 Feb 14, 2014
Does anyone know if Shady Grove is still open?
gino

United States

#175 Feb 15, 2014
Historian wrote:
How about Shady Grove,north of Riverview Blvd.
I lived right across the street from shady Grove. Starting in 1958, I raked the trash out of the gravel ,every morning. We lived in walnut park from 1956 till 1974. still miss it . there will never be another place like that ever.5886
Historian

Union, MO

#176 Apr 30, 2014
If you want to see something sad,go to you tube and search walnut park st Louis.This is unbelievable.
Tourist

Laramie, WY

#177 Jul 10, 2014
I am planning a trip this summer and would like to visit Walnut Park.Is it really crime ridden?
flodaddy

Tulsa, OK

#178 Jul 10, 2014
My dad lives in walnut park. His neighborhood is very peaceful and beautiful.
getgoing

Saint Louis, MO

#179 Jul 11, 2014
Tourist wrote:
I am planning a trip this summer and would like to visit Walnut Park.Is it really crime ridden?
Go, see for yourself. Parts of St Louis are beautiful. See older parks, well made homes and the way neighborhoods were laid out long ago. Before cars, neighborhoods had so many stores, walking was the mode of transportation before streetcars. Tour the city from north to south, see all the parks, taste the different foods.
As for crime, it is a part of life whether in the Lou, Chicago, the world in general. Can't live in fear. Good traveling
flodaddy

Florissant, MO

#180 Jul 11, 2014
getgoing wrote:
<quoted text>
Go, see for yourself. Parts of St Louis are beautiful. See older parks, well made homes and the way neighborhoods were laid out long ago. Before cars, neighborhoods had so many stores, walking was the mode of transportation before streetcars. Tour the city from north to south, see all the parks, taste the different foods.
As for crime, it is a part of life whether in the Lou, Chicago, the world in general. Can't live in fear. Good traveling
I would have to agree with you. I like drive through north city and imaginingthe hustle and bustle of days past. There are a lot of areas in North St Louis that or elite neighborhoods.only advice I have for taking a tour of North St Louis is lock your doors bring your pistol and don't get caught being white after midnight.
cavas

Santa Clara, CA

#182 Aug 4, 2014
I grew up in Walnut Park from 1961 until 1973. I went to St. Adalbert school & church. Fr. Schuler & Sr. Rosalie. Agnes Confectionaire, Bommaritos Bakery (put out day old donuts at the sidewalk door for the kids to have on the walk home). Pearls Tavern where we spent many a night with our family, the men and the cussing were up at the bar only and families at the tables. Charlie and Pearl made the place a real old town tavern. Summertime brought out the Tamale Man at night and the blind accordian player who walked the streets for tips. The Walbridge Drum and Bugle band parading through the streets (we lived across the street from the school). Also waking up Saturday to Orlandos produce truck coming down the street the driver yelling "Strawberries, Watermelon, etc" with the scale banging on the side of the truck. www.cavaliers-store.com
Historian

Saint Peters, MO

#184 Oct 29, 2014
What has happened to my Walnut Park? there have been 6 murders in the last 2 weeks. Soon there will be no one left.
CSM1

O Fallon, MO

#185 Oct 29, 2014
Historian wrote:
What has happened to my Walnut Park? there have been 6 murders in the last 2 weeks. Soon there will be no one left.
It was dealt a full hand of spades.
flawlessly

Indianapolis, IN

#186 Oct 29, 2014
Is it even safe to visit my aunts' graves in Calvary Cemetery?
CSM1

O Fallon, MO

#187 Oct 29, 2014
flawlessly wrote:
Is it even safe to visit my aunts' graves in Calvary Cemetery?
Go around noon, all the local derelicts are still sleeping after a prior night of mayhem in the hood.
Make sure there are more than one of you, and make sure someone in your entourage is armed and ready. Do not conceal your weapon, have it in your hand ready to fire. Do this and you may be able to visit the grave unmolested. Don't linger too long, ten minutes will be pushing the window, then get the hell out of that hell hole part of town. Rest assured some of the animals in the hood will be watching you for a first opportunity. What was once the beautiful Walnut Park is no more. It has become the asshole of creation, thanks to the element living there.
gino

United States

#188 Oct 30, 2014
Historian wrote:
How about Shady Grove,north of Riverview Blvd.
I lived right across the street from Shady Grove.!n 1958, I would turn the benches on end 7 rake the trash out of the gravel.
Historian

Saint Charles, MO

#189 Nov 21, 2014
Four separate shootings in Walnut Park today What is going on?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Overland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
and then it is winter 19 hr Marcus Welby 3
Hillary's $145M Kickback Sun Enter Username 5
Quote Of The Week (Mar '15) Sat Marcus Welby 232
so-cial-ism (Feb '16) Sat Enter Username 52
Prop P Scam alert Sat Marcus Welby 22
Do the black people that work at mcdonalds, spi... (Jul '10) Sat roxaneskeet 45
News Black Lives Matter* (Oct '15) Sat hmmmm 2,062

Overland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance