Cost of migraine pills causes patient...

Cost of migraine pills causes patients to scrimp and hoard

There are 27 comments on the Providence Journal story from Jul 16, 2007, titled Cost of migraine pills causes patients to scrimp and hoard. In it, Providence Journal reports that:

“Every standard Express Scripts clinical program - prior authorization, quantity limits, step therapy - is based on peer-reviewed, clinical evidence and is reviewed and approved by our pharmacy and therapeutics committee”

Many insurance companies limit the number of migraine pills they will pay for each month, so many patients "fearing they'll run out " don't take the medication when they need it, according to a recent study by ... via Providence Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Providence Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ellen Englund

Sarasota, FL

#2 Aug 5, 2007
Absolutely right on. Thank you for this story! My insurance limits me to 6 triptans a month (and mind you I pay $850 a month for family coverage!) and I can't afford to have more migraines than allowed. I have sought and tried just about every treatment possible. I get 10-12 a month. The Triptans work. If I don't use them I end up in the emergency room which costs me and my insurance plan a lot more.

My question is when will one of the triptans become generic???????

“I'm not here to be polite”

Since: Aug 07

PA

#3 Aug 14, 2007
I work for the company that packages Imitrex.

Let me tell you first hand that this drug would be a lot cheaper if there wasn't so much waste involved. Each card of 9 tablets costs $250.00. We have to throw out about $50,000 dollars worth of products a day due to defects.

Now when I say defects I don't mean opened pills or missing Lot & Exp. I'm talking about a dot, the size of a pencil mark on the card. Or there is a squiggly blue line next to the picture of the pill.

Let me ask you. If you are suffering from a severe migraine do you really care about dots and squiggles?

I doubt it.
Kit

Pittsburgh, PA

#4 Oct 11, 2007
Christ, when I'm in the middle of a migraine, I really don't give a rip about the expiration date. I'd take the pill even knowing it was expired. Why don't they put it in a bottle like everyone else? Then we don't have to worry about misprints on the card?
Anne

Bagsværd, Denmark

#6 Oct 15, 2007
Hi!

Here in Denmark we now get Sumatriptan (that is the generic for Imitrex) for less than $US1 for 50 mg tablets. The patent for the 'oldfashioned' Imitrex (not the rapid formulation, but classic filmed tablets) ran out more than a year ago, and the prices went down (see http://www.migraeniker.dk/english/index_eng.h... )

This now places the responsibility for not taking too many tablets on the GP as well as on the migraineur instead of on the insurance.

The other triptans still keep up the high prices.

Unfortunately we do not yet have data on the possible increase in overmedication. But it sure makes life a lot easier, and we probably get fewer cases of overmedication with a mixture of triptans and painkillers. A mixed overmedication seems to be more difficult to get out of than triptans alone.

Hope you can use this information somehow :-)

Anne
judy

Dayton, OH

#7 Feb 8, 2008
I just got my second prescription for generic sumatriptan filled from assetchemist.co.uk, for 36 100mg. pills (6 packs of 6 ea.) for about $34 including postage. It takes about 3 weeks from U.K. to Ohio. This one is manufactured by Sandoz Pharmaceuticals GmbH, Carl-Zeiss-Ring 3, D-85737 Ismaning, Germany.

Again--all you have to do is order & pay for them online and have your doctor's office fax in a prescription. Easy to order and good customer service.
Calvin

Uganda

#8 Feb 25, 2008
Ellen Englund wrote:
Absolutely right on. Thank you for this story! My insurance limits me to 6 triptans a month (and mind you I pay $850 a month for family coverage!) and I can't afford to have more migraines than allowed. I have sought and tried just about every treatment possible. I get 10-12 a month. The Triptans work. If I don't use them I end up in the emergency room which costs me and my insurance plan a lot more.
My question is when will one of the triptans become generic???????
Just in case the cost of the migraine tabs is way tooo high. I have a friend who was a Migrane Junkie, after spending a fortune on medication for her pain, all that it took to totally receive relief was the Bio disc, this is a product exclusively marketed by questnet, contact me for more information on [email protected]

“WAY TO GO, STEELERS!!!”

Since: Dec 07

WE ARE #1!!!

#9 Feb 26, 2008
Calvin wrote:
<quoted text>
Just in case the cost of the migraine tabs is way tooo high. I have a friend who was a Migrane Junkie, after spending a fortune on medication for her pain, all that it took to totally receive relief was the Bio disc, this is a product exclusively marketed by questnet, contact me for more information on [email protected]
A migraine junkie??? WTF kind of "term" is that? It is quite obvious that you do not have ANY first hand knowledge of what a migraine is and what it soes to one's body. Quit trying to swindle everybody your "product." It is a scam...
Oh, and please don't come back at me with your blah, blah, blah. We are actual migraine suffers that do not need your product. What we need is a cure and affordable pain management.

Since: Feb 08

Uganda

#10 Feb 26, 2008
Danyel wrote:
<quoted text>
A migraine junkie??? WTF kind of "term" is that? It is quite obvious that you do not have ANY first hand knowledge of what a migraine is and what it soes to one's body. Quit trying to swindle everybody your "product." It is a scam...
Oh, and please don't come back at me with your blah, blah, blah. We are actual migraine suffers that do not need your product. What we need is a cure and affordable pain management.
What's your case Danyel?? excuse the term "junkie" but this was a colleague that had a BAAAAD migraine day in day out, accompanied by a lot of vomiting and more stuff, hence the term. But all the same my advise was not to you since you feel you want to remain with your issues, let me address those that need a way out of there present predicament. This bio disc worked for her and hence my crusade to let ALL know and you shall by no means stop me...

“WAY TO GO, STEELERS!!!”

Since: Dec 07

WE ARE #1!!!

#11 Feb 27, 2008
Calvinmoses wrote:
<quoted text>
What's your case Danyel?? excuse the term "junkie" but this was a colleague that had a BAAAAD migraine day in day out, accompanied by a lot of vomiting and more stuff, hence the term. But all the same my advise was not to you since you feel you want to remain with your issues, let me address those that need a way out of there present predicament. This bio disc worked for her and hence my crusade to let ALL know and you shall by no means stop me...
Well, that's just wonderful that it worked for her. Maybe she could promote the product. It would be good marketing for you. topix isn't exactly the place to be marketing anything though. This product is not for me. I'd get better pain relief by smashing a bottle over my head...

Since: Feb 08

Kampala, Uganda

#12 Feb 27, 2008
Danyel wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that's just wonderful that it worked for her. Maybe she could promote the product. It would be good marketing for you. topix isn't exactly the place to be marketing anything though. This product is not for me. I'd get better pain relief by smashing a bottle over my head...
Thanx Danyel, well I don't know if I am marketing here... maybe I am one of those overzealous good news bearers and hence my submission.
Sergey45

Howell, NJ

#13 Jul 14, 2008
mamma

Canada

#15 Jul 20, 2009
Has anyone heard of treating migraines with Botox? Since we're talking about cost, it actually works out to less depending on how many migraines you get a month. From what I understand, it works because it relaxes the muscles that trigger the migraines. If you have extended medical, I think it's mostly covered.
Debbie

Lakeland, FL

#17 Sep 11, 2009
I get 15-20 migraines/mo that rate an "8" or higher on the pain index. I can't tolerate Imitrex (it actually makes me vomit) but Maxalt is a life saver. Back to the article that we are commenting on...yes I do have to "hoard" and puzzle together when I get to take my $260/mo 12 Maxalts or when I take something else. We NEED a safe & effective generic for this medication!!!
Debbie

Lakeland, FL

#18 Sep 11, 2009
By the way, why is the generic for Maxalt (Rizatriptan) safe and available for those in Canada, the UK, Australia, etc... but not for those of us in the U.S? "Big Pharma" and the lobbists on the hill just want their $$$ while we suffer!
Debbie

Lakeland, FL

#19 Sep 11, 2009
mamma wrote:
Has anyone heard of treating migraines with Botox? Since we're talking about cost, it actually works out to less depending on how many migraines you get a month. From what I understand, it works because it relaxes the muscles that trigger the migraines. If you have extended medical, I think it's mostly covered.
Mamma, Botox works for some (unfortunatly not for me). If it is covered in Canada, give it a whirl - If you're referring to the multi-injections they give under the scalp, I've never heard of any damage, some are helped by it. I have heard some bad responses to Botox that is injected into the muscles of the neck (i.e. temporary paralysis).
David

Fort Worth, TX

#21 Feb 25, 2010
I constantly fight my doctor, his nurse and the pharmacies to get the needed supply of IMITREX(finally generic is available). My insurance company has come around and is willing to allow me to have the relief I need, but ingornce prevails amonng docotors and their staff. Each month I face delays imposed by my docotor's office personnel as they 'protect' me from the one source of relief that offers me my life back. I suffered for many years, spending Christmas day, etc holding my head and staying close to the facilities while i threw up my toenails. I truly thank God for the triptans, but why are we still raped to the tune of $20+ per tablet while our counterparts in forign lands enjoy reasonable pricing? JEERS TO IMITREX distributors for the ridiculous expensive packaging that causes frustration and breaks fingernails.
jennifer

Perrysburg, OH

#23 Mar 18, 2010
I am looking for info as to why generic Maxalt is sold in Canada and not in the U.S. Of course, on a drug site, I read that "one should never trust generic Maxalt, you don't what you are getting!" And yet, I have gotten it in the past through my online Canadian pharm. Money ran low and I wasn't able to afford to pay up-front for meds online, so I have been buying from Target a month--sometimes even a week--at a time. According to Merck's site, generic Maxalt won't be available until possibly 2012, when their patent expires. And yet, the generic I bought thru my Canadian pharm worked just fine. Can anyone explain why we can't get it here in the US? And FYI, I can get 2 extra generic tabs online for about 1/3 of the price of the brand name Maxalt....so I need to switch back to doing that!

Since: Mar 10

UK

#24 Mar 30, 2010
Hi There all

Cost is always a pain in more ways than one , but have we really lost our way as thier are plenty of ways to manage our migraines with out having to resort to pills and potions.
I have read this book called 101 ways to prevent a headache and guess what most of it works......
And im putting it up for you guys and girls to download

<<<<<<< < www.paulmulvenna-pegrum.com >>>>>>> >>>>

And away you go and hopefully manage those headache's

Regards

Paul

Since: Apr 10

Dallas, TX

#26 Apr 8, 2010
Dont pay for all the drugs! it will only hurt another organ later....take what is natural for your body! VITAMINS! More than a Multiple for Women and More than a Multiple for Men! Its works! No more Migraines. Please try it! you wont regret it!
Emily

Cass City, MI

#27 May 12, 2010
I have tried everything including eating healthier and exercising, vitamins and every kind of drug you can think of to treat and prevent my migraines. Mine seem to be triggered by my menstrual cycle and also by changes in the weather which is TERRIBLE considering I live in Michigan and we go from 80 degrees back down to 30 degrees overnight. Our weather constantly changes. I have a lot of things that trigger my migraines but those seem to be at the top of the list. I have had migraines since I was 10 years old and I missed a lot of school because of it. I almost didn't graduate. I am now 28 years old and am still unable to get control over my migraines. I was lucky enough to get a sample of RELPAX (a triptan)from my doctor and it helped a lot but my insurance will not pay for or even help pay for any migraine medications. I barely make enough money to keep a roof over my head and I can't afford these medications without help but if I keep missing work I will probably lose my job. Why is it only people with money are important in our society? Why don't we want everyone to be healthy and have the basic necessities for life? Why do we let people suffer when they don't have to? It's pretty bad that I could live an entire lifetime comfortably on what one other person makes in just one year. The gap between the rich and the poor just makes me sick. There is no middle class anymore and the rich wouldn't have anything without us holding up the entire foundation of the pyramid. What do we get for all our hard work? We get a life of struggle and pain and the realization that we will probably be working until the day we die. And they say our country is the best .... at least the other countries TRY to take care of their people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Overland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cabela's Moving from the Mills?? (Jan '14) 35 min Taco of Totality 81
Crime Free Residential Rental Seminar 1 hr BLOCK CAPTAIN 18
Florissant Fire Dept. & Santa 3 hr exposing florissant 4
monkeyism 15 hr hardhead 4
Poll Do You Trust the Media ? (Apr '16) 20 hr Marcus Welby 45
Republican Weasels Wed Marcus Welby 1
The Negro is his own worst enemy Tue WhiteSatan 12

Overland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance