Teach Gun Safety in Schools

Posted in the Overland Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
preach gun safety

United States

#1 Feb 16, 2013
I think the most practive thing to do, is to teach gun safety in school. It is obvious, many young children are both exposed and attracted to guns. Why not at least teach them about gun safety and the rights and wrongs of guns.
CSM1

Saint Peters, MO

#2 Feb 16, 2013
Back in the olden days,somewhere around the fifties and earlier,just about every school had a rifle club,actually had guns on school premisis and competed. Oh but we wouldn't want any such thing in our schools today,we must be politically correct in everything we do lest some little kiddy get their feelings hurt. Hell,a five year old kid can't even point a finger gun at another kid without being expelled by some stupid ass adult. I'd like to see anyone stand before these pussy school boards and advocate for any type of gun training in school. Why you would have all the pussies on the board wetting their pants and yelling for a lockdown. This country has decended so for down the crapper tube it makes me wonder if we can ever come back. By all means though,lets be PC. Give every kid in the league a trophy,win or not. Give every kid a high five,win or not. Give every kid a "Good job",win or not. I think if the "Adults"??? who run things would turn it over to the kids a better job would be done. Now don't you dare mention the word "GUN" in school,you might cause a complete panic situation,not among the kids,rather the stupid adults who run things.
has merit

United States

#3 Feb 16, 2013
If your really think about this, this idea does have merit.
Realistic

Wentzville, MO

#4 Feb 16, 2013
has merit wrote:
If your really think about this, this idea does have merit.
So did the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights our founders worked hard to bring to fuition. Too bad the PC crowd along with the aid and comfort of their Liberal brothers and sisters will quickly eliminate any merit that you may have thought it had.

Since: Nov 12

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Feb 16, 2013
If parents want their kids to know about guns let parents do it. That's how i learned more than 40 years ago.
has merit

United States

#6 Feb 17, 2013
jeffreydennis wrote:
If parents want their kids to know about guns let parents do it. That's how i learned more than 40 years ago.
This is not a "Parents" society any more. too many single parent, not enough family structre.

Education generally trumps ignorance.

Since: Nov 12

Saint Louis, MO

#7 Feb 17, 2013
Cool. Then let the schools also teach them sex ed and science( not "intelligent design").
survival of the breed

United States

#8 Feb 18, 2013
gun safet and survival educaion makes sense.

Then, maybe they can teach the Constitution.
hardhead

Saint Louis, MO

#9 Feb 18, 2013
my kids were always taught to respect guns and they know how to use one.when they were young they knew if they were somewhere and a gun came out to leave. kids will be kids,but knowing is a lot better than not knowing basic gun safety.
Disagree

Florissant, MO

#10 Feb 18, 2013
preach gun safety wrote:
I think the most practive thing to do, is to teach gun safety in school. It is obvious, many young children are both exposed and attracted to guns. Why not at least teach them about gun safety and the rights and wrongs of guns.
That is not something that is the business of the government/public education. It's similar to allowing prayer in schools when there are so many different beliefs and many who hold no beliefs.

Do you really think the average taxpayer is going to be happy about a course in weaponry being taught when the U.S. as a whole is trailing behind in all the major sciences and mathmatics. Add to that, the U.S. ranks 15th in education overall. That is embarrassing to say the least or it should be. Teach kids about guns but not how to read or compose a simple sentence or plain basic educational skills. You have to be kidding. What exactly would that acccomplish? Maybe teach the gang bangers how better to use their guns? Gun safety is not the problem how to raise responsible educated kids is the problem. If I want my kids to know about guns, religion, etc. I will teach them!
things have changed

United States

#11 Feb 19, 2013
Disagree wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not something that is the business of the government/public education. It's similar to allowing prayer in schools when there are so many different beliefs and many who hold no beliefs.
Do you really think the average taxpayer is going to be happy about a course in weaponry being taught when the U.S. as a whole is trailing behind in all the major sciences and mathmatics. Add to that, the U.S. ranks 15th in education overall. That is embarrassing to say the least or it should be. Teach kids about guns but not how to read or compose a simple sentence or plain basic educational skills. You have to be kidding. What exactly would that acccomplish? Maybe teach the gang bangers how better to use their guns? Gun safety is not the problem how to raise responsible educated kids is the problem. If I want my kids to know about guns, religion, etc. I will teach them!
If it were a perfect world, I might agree with you. But, it is not. We need to address the practical side of reality and then move on.
Us average tax payers shove billions of dollars onto systems that are not working. It is time to wake up and make some true fundamental changes.
Gun and safety education seems to be representative of the times we live in. This country has abandoned God and Religion a long time ago, and now we harvest what we planted.
Yes, survival is what we all need some of.
hardhead

Saint Louis, MO

#12 Feb 19, 2013
Disagree wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not something that is the business of the government/public education. It's similar to allowing prayer in schools when there are so many different beliefs and many who hold no beliefs.
Do you really think the average taxpayer is going to be happy about a course in weaponry being taught when the U.S. as a whole is trailing behind in all the major sciences and mathmatics. Add to that, the U.S. ranks 15th in education overall. That is embarrassing to say the least or it should be. Teach kids about guns but not how to read or compose a simple sentence or plain basic educational skills. You have to be kidding. What exactly would that acccomplish? Maybe teach the gang bangers how better to use their guns? Gun safety is not the problem how to raise responsible educated kids is the problem. If I want my kids to know about guns, religion, etc. I will teach them!
the reason the u.s. is so far behind in education is because of the black race. most blacks can't compose a simple sentence and have no basic educational skills what so ever. look whats happen to all the school districts when the blacks move in. i agree with you, i will teach my kids about religion,sex,guns and rock and roll.but some basic education in the schools is a good idea. i see nothing wrong with having a shooting class in the schools. no different than football or baseball.
teach responsibility

United States

#13 Feb 19, 2013
We need to teach responsibility and accountability both at home and in the schools.
We need to get beyond the fear and teach real life.
Step up, take charge.
Really

Florissant, MO

#14 Feb 19, 2013
hardhead wrote:
<quoted text>the reason the u.s. is so far behind in education is because of the black race. most blacks can't compose a simple sentence and have no basic educational skills what so ever. look whats happen to all the school districts when the blacks move in. i agree with you, i will teach my kids about religion,sex,guns and rock and roll.but some basic education in the schools is a good idea. i see nothing wrong with having a shooting class in the schools. no different than football or baseball.
You have no problem teaching the same kids that you say cannot be educated how to use a gun? The same kids that you refer to as "thugs"? I cannot believe you have thought the idea of "shooting class" through. Who will teach it? Who will keep the weapons secure? I hope you don't actually mean live ammo shooting classes. If so that borders on insane. How in the world do you think they would be able to stop a kid who decided to follow in the footsteps of other mass shooters if that kid turned the weapon on the instructor and others?

First teach kids to read and write and at least basic math and then consider the "extras". Although in my opinion even basic firearm safety lessons would be pointless. And I as a taxpayer would oppose it to the maximum of my ability.

FYI, it isn't just blacks who have created the educational problems. 50% of last years graduating college students of all races could not figure basic interest rates, could not balance a checking account, did not have critical thinking skills, could not pass the same test that is given to foreign nationals who apply for citizenship. 75% did not know the words to the National Athem, did not know what the U.S. Surpreme Court actually does (several thought it made U.S. laws) and could not create a resume. Many could not even fill out a job application correctly.

And yet you think school kids should take weapon instruction. Well, I guess since they are not being educated in anything else it would make it easier for them to rob people.
Really

Florissant, MO

#15 Feb 19, 2013
things have changed wrote:
<quoted text>
If it were a perfect world, I might agree with you. But, it is not. We need to address the practical side of reality and then move on.
Us average tax payers shove billions of dollars onto systems that are not working. It is time to wake up and make some true fundamental changes.
Gun and safety education seems to be representative of the times we live in. This country has abandoned God and Religion a long time ago, and now we harvest what we planted.
Yes, survival is what we all need some of.
OK fine, who would teach such a course? Who would take the responsibility if one of the students of said course used his or her knowledge to kill someone. Because for sure if that happened lawsuits against the school, the school district, the city, the state, the instructor and any and everyone would be filed.

What about the insurance? You think any school district is going to be able to teach a course like that with or without actual weapons without the insurance rates going through the roof? Maybe you don't mind paying more taxes but I sure do/would.
hardhead

Saint Louis, MO

#16 Feb 19, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no problem teaching the same kids that you say cannot be educated how to use a gun? The same kids that you refer to as "thugs"? I cannot believe you have thought the idea of "shooting class" through. Who will teach it? Who will keep the weapons secure? I hope you don't actually mean live ammo shooting classes. If so that borders on insane. How in the world do you think they would be able to stop a kid who decided to follow in the footsteps of other mass shooters if that kid turned the weapon on the instructor and others?
First teach kids to read and write and at least basic math and then consider the "extras". Although in my opinion even basic firearm safety lessons would be pointless. And I as a taxpayer would oppose it to the maximum of my ability.
FYI, it isn't just blacks who have created the educational problems. 50% of last years graduating college students of all races could not figure basic interest rates, could not balance a checking account, did not have critical thinking skills, could not pass the same test that is given to foreign nationals who apply for citizenship. 75% did not know the words to the National Athem, did not know what the U.S. Surpreme Court actually does (several thought it made U.S. laws) and could not create a resume. Many could not even fill out a job application correctly.
And yet you think school kids should take weapon instruction. Well, I guess since they are not being educated in anything else it would make it easier for them to rob people.
what i mean by shooting class was to make it a sport like football or baseball, after all shooting is a sport.and it may give some of the kids that are not good at other sports the chance to be on a team. as far as i am concerned they could get rid of all the sports in the schools and start giving the kids an education.
wow

Alton, IL

#17 Feb 19, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no problem teaching the same kids that you say cannot be educated how to use a gun? The same kids that you refer to as "thugs"? I cannot believe you have thought the idea of "shooting class" through. Who will teach it? Who will keep the weapons secure? I hope you don't actually mean live ammo shooting classes. If so that borders on insane. How in the world do you think they would be able to stop a kid who decided to follow in the footsteps of other mass shooters if that kid turned the weapon on the instructor and others?
First teach kids to read and write and at least basic math and then consider the "extras". Although in my opinion even basic firearm safety lessons would be pointless. And I as a taxpayer would oppose it to the maximum of my ability.
FYI, it isn't just blacks who have created the educational problems. 50% of last years graduating college students of all races could not figure basic interest rates, could not balance a checking account, did not have critical thinking skills, could not pass the same test that is given to foreign nationals who apply for citizenship. 75% did not know the words to the National Athem, did not know what the U.S. Surpreme Court actually does (several thought it made U.S. laws) and could not create a resume. Many could not even fill out a job application correctly.
And yet you think school kids should take weapon instruction. Well, I guess since they are not being educated in anything else it would make it easier for them to rob people.

Did you make those numbers up? Show some proof of your statement. Or are you just another liberal, lying to make yourself seem smart?
education

United States

#18 Feb 20, 2013
Treat the mentally ill and teach the constitution.
CSM1

Saint Peters, MO

#19 Feb 20, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no problem teaching the same kids that you say cannot be educated how to use a gun? The same kids that you refer to as "thugs"? I cannot believe you have thought the idea of "shooting class" through. Who will teach it? Who will keep the weapons secure? I hope you don't actually mean live ammo shooting classes. If so that borders on insane. How in the world do you think they would be able to stop a kid who decided to follow in the footsteps of other mass shooters if that kid turned the weapon on the instructor and others?
First teach kids to read and write and at least basic math and then consider the "extras". Although in my opinion even basic firearm safety lessons would be pointless. And I as a taxpayer would oppose it to the maximum of my ability.
FYI, it isn't just blacks who have created the educational problems. 50% of last years graduating college students of all races could not figure basic interest rates, could not balance a checking account, did not have critical thinking skills, could not pass the same test that is given to foreign nationals who apply for citizenship. 75% did not know the words to the National Athem, did not know what the U.S. Surpreme Court actually does (several thought it made U.S. laws) and could not create a resume. Many could not even fill out a job application correctly.
And yet you think school kids should take weapon instruction. Well, I guess since they are not being educated in anything else it would make it easier for them to rob people.
Allow me to reiterate some of an earlier post. Back in that era when there was a shooting club in almost every school in the public system,there were absolutely no problems. Never anyone turning the weapon on anyone else,never any mistreatment of the equipment,no danger to anyone,teacher,shooter or any other student.Does this not allow you to understand the problems today are with the people,not the weapon or it's presence? We are dealing with a society of youth who have not had the opportunity to have had proper upbringing. We have a base of young adults who have little to no regard for most of what goes on every day. Never having to have been held accountable,always someone else's fault,the neighbor,the teacher,the cops,etc etc. Guns don't harm people,people do. I did my Army time for well over thirty years. The jobs I held in that time,DI,recruiter,CSM etc,allowed me to see dramatic changes in the youth coming in the Army over those years,and the change was not good. I think we have too many folks out there who quiver and quake by just hearing the word gun. This attitude is based purly on ignorance,and it's probably not your fault,but you owe it to yourself to become less ignorant,the facilities are out there to allow this to happen,get on board and learn.
No thanks

Florissant, MO

#20 Feb 20, 2013
CSM1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Allow me to reiterate some of an earlier post. Back in that era when there was a shooting club in almost every school in the public system,there were absolutely no problems. Never anyone turning the weapon on anyone else,never any mistreatment of the equipment,no danger to anyone,teacher,shooter or any other student.Does this not allow you to understand the problems today are with the people,not the weapon or it's presence? We are dealing with a society of youth who have not had the opportunity to have had proper upbringing. We have a base of young adults who have little to no regard for most of what goes on every day. Never having to have been held accountable,always someone else's fault,the neighbor,the teacher,the cops,etc etc. Guns don't harm people,people do. I did my Army time for well over thirty years. The jobs I held in that time,DI,recruiter,CSM etc,allowed me to see dramatic changes in the youth coming in the Army over those years,and the change was not good. I think we have too many folks out there who quiver and quake by just hearing the word gun. This attitude is based purly on ignorance,and it's probably not your fault,but you owe it to yourself to become less ignorant,the facilities are out there to allow this to happen,get on board and learn.
I'll give more thought to the issue but can't believe I would be in favor of it. Since you stated "back in the era" "shooting clubs"... I would ask...in that era was there drive by shootings? Were there gangs and wannbe gangsters? Were there already teens bringing guns to school? Robbing homes? Robbing people on the streets? Car jackings?

I cannot see how teaching the use of weaponry in schools would benefit anyone. Many people oppose the idea of teaching sex education to their kids and I seriously doubt the majority would be in favor of a shooting club or even firearm instruction whether with real weapons or just the information.

I have to agree with one of the other posters such a class would set the schools, the instructors, and everyone connected up for humongous lawsuits. And you can't just teach some of the kids like the white kids or the honor students, because it would be discrimination. I for one do not care to see my tax money spent on youths regardless of their race in an effort to teach them how to arm themselves. I don't care if it is for self protection or whatever. Teens have the highest vehicle accident rate and suicide rate in society. The majority of them are lacking common sense due to their age mostly. Teach a pre-teen or teen male to use a gun and all they will be interested in is showing how macho they are. And that will only create more pseudo tough guys and more trouble.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Overland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
tomoro never com * > neither white 3 min africhaiti 1
Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 6 min The Man 3,894
18-year-old shot dead by Missouri cop: witnesses 6 min no fatties 4 me 1,064
More news in Wilsons favor everyday 10 min Jimmy 2 Ears 1
New fear: What happens in Ferguson if no charges? 21 min Black Rhino 1,187
Tight pants in Ferguson 24 min Mr Wiggles 3
kemikezi is white 25 min africhaiti 1
Overland Dating
Find my Match

Overland Jobs

Overland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Overland News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Overland

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]