BBB Warns About Deceptive Jog Posts O...

BBB Warns About Deceptive Jog Posts On Craigslist.org

There are 19 comments on the Fox2Now story from Apr 9, 2010, titled BBB Warns About Deceptive Jog Posts On Craigslist.org. In it, Fox2Now reports that:

Some job seekers are finding themselves the victim of deceptive advertising. The Better Business Bureau is sending out a warning about one company working out of Bridgeton, MO.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox2Now.

elizabieth

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Apr 9, 2010
i just sow some guys and ladies try to sell me some of that stuff. is ok job but you should tell the truth.
Hired by Five Star

O Fallon, MO

#2 Apr 9, 2010
Yeah, I was "hired" by Five Star with promises of complete and total training which would lead to my own office with my own employees. But by the end of day one orientation meeting, I already had the assignment of selling at least 15-30 bottles of perfume before the next day. I never went back. What made the whole thing more suspicious to me was the fact that they were based out of a run down crap house of a building, there were no company logos or letterheads anywhere, and I'd received NO sales training before being told to make these sales.

Like many companies, Five Star does not identify themselves in their craigslist posts. So, I've actually applied to them a couple more times since then because I didn't know the job listed was them (they change the wording of the post frequently). The funny part? They have called me twice for interviews AFTER I walked out because they don't even seem to know I was already there.
Hates Crime

Cape Girardeau, MO

#3 Apr 9, 2010
5 Star needs to be put out of business. Nickel and dime operation with "knock off" perfumes. A person would have to be crazy to work on a shopping center lot selling their garbage. They will be out of business in a month. Bank it!
Honest

Saint Louis, MO

#4 Apr 9, 2010
Alright, I completed the training program through David and Jenny just over six years ago. I was young, dumb, tragically lost a sibling, then walked away from my partnership. As a matter of fact, one of my closest friends is one of my former business partners. If there is one piece of advice that I could give anyone that gets the opportunity to meet David and Jenny, take it. They are very good at teaching great work ethic, positive attitude, and sales techniques. There is a reason that David is still rolling in the Perfume Scented Dough....it's because he is a great businessman. Could there employment ads be more straight forward? Yes. Would I have answered their ad? No. I was in sales prior to going into David's program, but not very good in sales. After coming out of David's program, I can sell a ketchup popcicle to a woman wearing white gloves. David is very successful and willing to share the secrets of his success. There is no program out there that would provide the charectar and life transformations that David's program can. Nothing in life comes with out hard work and determination, and David promises the reward for the hard work and determination of the trainees.
For the record, I have not been affiliated with the company in over six years. I am not defending what they do because I am a current employee, but a former success story. There is no scam!!!!!
Hired By Five Star

O Fallon, MO

#5 Apr 9, 2010
Honest wrote:
Alright, I completed the training program through David and Jenny just over six years ago. I was young, dumb, tragically lost a sibling, then walked away from my partnership. As a matter of fact, one of my closest friends is one of my former business partners. If there is one piece of advice that I could give anyone that gets the opportunity to meet David and Jenny, take it. They are very good at teaching great work ethic, positive attitude, and sales techniques. There is a reason that David is still rolling in the Perfume Scented Dough....it's because he is a great businessman. Could there employment ads be more straight forward? Yes. Would I have answered their ad? No. I was in sales prior to going into David's program, but not very good in sales. After coming out of David's program, I can sell a ketchup popcicle to a woman wearing white gloves. David is very successful and willing to share the secrets of his success. There is no program out there that would provide the charectar and life transformations that David's program can. Nothing in life comes with out hard work and determination, and David promises the reward for the hard work and determination of the trainees.
For the record, I have not been affiliated with the company in over six years. I am not defending what they do because I am a current employee, but a former success story. There is no scam!!!!!
Sorry, but if they're such stand-up people then they should be honest and straight-forward about both the job and the company. The only reason to be shady like they are is to pull one over on people.
Swindled

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Apr 10, 2010
These people are liars and if I didnt have good head on my shoulders I would have quit my current job because of some lies a company who is so shady they cant even say their name on craigslist. Take if from me this company cant give you anything they promise you and the person who post the nice comments about them are probably owners of the company or the idiot workers. Best of luck to all of the honest hard working jobseekers out there!!!!
Hired by Five Star

O Fallon, MO

#8 Apr 10, 2010
I guess he's not that good of a pitch man because he couldn't sell me on the company after my experience with them lol :P
Jasmine

Florissant, MO

#9 Apr 11, 2010
I Was Also Hired By Five Star and It Was A Bunch Of Bs They Need To B Straight Forward With The People Tht They Hire Point Blank...... Never In The Ad Did It Ever Say Tht Its A Direct Sales Position It Clearly States Tht Its A Entry Level Management Position, Then When You Get There The 1st Day Ur Ask To Make The Company Some Money BSSSSSS.! Then They Tell U Ur Selling Real Perfume, When Its Knockoff So Now All The People Ive Sold It To are Disappointed Because They Think They've Gotten The Real Deal. All I Say Is Don't Work For Them they're Full Of Shit!!!!!
Hired by Five Star

O Fallon, MO

#11 Apr 11, 2010
Avenger wrote:
<quoted text>
Did anyone ever bother to tell you that typing in capital letters at the beginning of a word is nonsense and really rather stupid! It doesn't look good, is hard to read, and a complete waste of time and energy. Does NOT show your intelligence at all, but your foolishness!
Right, because attacking someone on a news channel website over their typing habits shows your intelligence. Way to go, skippy. Would you like a gold star?
Jasmine

Florissant, MO

#12 Apr 12, 2010
Avenger wrote:
<quoted text>
Did anyone ever bother to tell you that typing in capital letters at the beginning of a word is nonsense and really rather stupid! It doesn't look good, is hard to read, and a complete waste of time and energy. Does NOT show your intelligence at all, but your foolishness!
F*** You.!!! First Of All We're In No Kind of Class And Next Time Dumb A** Focus On The Story And Not How Someone Type.! It Shows You Had Nothing Else To Do!!!!
Lord Dreadlow

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Apr 12, 2010
I've never seen that before. I didn't even notice she capitalized each word. It seems to me that would be hard to do deliberately. Where did you learn that?
Joke

Chancellor, AL

#14 Apr 12, 2010
Yeah, I took four trips to Five Star. One for the first "interview" the second being another group "interview" and the third for orientation. The second interview we were told how wonderful the company is and what a huge house he has in the same neighborhood as some St Louis big wigs. And how this is NOT a pyramid scam and anybody caught slandering their company in any way shape or form will be sued. Yeah, there were red flags but I was hoping for a real job. Then after orientation, we were asked to do the friends and family program. Never once were we told this was knock off, we were told this is the real stuff. And all they talked about was motivation. And how their training cost $3000 if we were to pay it out of pocket and we were lucky to be getting their training program for free. Still never once was I told we would be peddling perfume in parking lots out of our personal cars. So the first day we show up and they go over the pitch they want us to use to sell this stuff and the color codes on the boxes. Then we were given a box of approximately ten bottles and we were paired up with someone we didnt know and told to go sell the stuff. I went back early after wasting gas driving around. I listened to my gut and got a really crappy feeling. Needless to say I never went back. Since then I have applied to them again and they called me back in and I quickly said no. My so-called trainer had only been there for a couple of weeks as well. The more we sold the faster we moved through their 90day "training". And after talking to my "trainer" and after calling in the office and one of their office employees asking "are you energized, enthused and excited?" which apparently is something they ask everyone when they call to check in everyday. Even my "trainer" said he felt the same way I did but he was told to basically shut up and deal with it and he did. So glad I got out of it, but not disappointed because I was really hoping it wasnt a scam.
Hope nobody else falls for this
Nearly Scammed

Saint Louis, MO

#16 Apr 13, 2010
I was "hired" by 5 Star as well, and wanted a job badly enough that I hung in there for a whole week. Then I discovered that one thing David himself had told me was an outright lie--but it wasn't about the business itself, it was designed to make me insecure about my *former* employer's ability to pay off my severance agreement. And once that doubt crept in, it was followed by a whole host of others...
I realized that he and some others never seemed to have any time to sit down for a clear-the-air discussion about the business, he and others gave come-to-Jesus-type speeches about how hard the job market is and how we were lucky to be there because we were all essentially unhireable by mainstream standards, and that was *after* we found out we're supposed to peddle perfume to unsuspecting folks in parking lots. We were told rosy stories about what our new offices would be like, and how much money we'd make...and then I realized that this money would be made selling this flimsy dream to other suckers. Essentially, your 'staff' is a rotating class of management wannabes. If you do the job the way they tell you it should be done, then you wind up surrounded by similar offices all doing what you're doing; added to this moral compromise is the realization the only way to make money is to have *at least* 15 to 30 people signing on every week, and it was plain impossible to make every single one--or even half--of them successful.
Even basic questions are talked around or ignored: Who pays for the office? How does your pay compute? Who pays for business licenses and taxes? Are there other ways to recruit a workforce? How come we're not told where we're going that day? If the product is so great, why is it sold in such a shady way? Why aren't we given any real sales training or business management training (they claim that comes later, but I've seen people in the so-called 'office management' portion of training right out there slinging bottles with the greenies). Then add the dodgy neighborhoods you'd wind up in (to be fair, or to cover their butts, the office itself never tells you where to go, the day's driver is supposed to, but desperation will land you in some very unsafe neighborhoods). I wasn't about to be responsible for someone getting hurt or mugged or worse while trying to sell a knockoff scent.
It's a shame, really. Some very bright people with huge potential are wasting their time chasing this miracle job. If it's too good to be true, people, then it isn't true. But you know what, it's only my own opinion.
Works for me

United States

#17 Apr 19, 2010
They should run a article on the number of people that just aren't interested in working. Direct sales has been around forever and produces more millionaires every year then any other industry. I work with the company and I've never made less then $300/week not bad. Considering the alternative, being unemployed.
And then they let uneducated people post in a uncontrolled format. Look at some of the post. Read some of the names: Hates Crime, Swindled, Gray ghost, Joke, Nearly Scammed. And believe there are some people out there that would believe them. Anyone that wants a opportunity to make 30-40K with no experience and no investment that doesn't have anything going on should give this business a shot. Better then being unemployed.
Joke

Marthasville, MO

#18 Apr 19, 2010
I dont consider myself uneducated at all, times are tough and these people are liars, they dont tell the truth. I dont see how peddling knock off cologne in parking lots and being run off by local law enforcement and security officers is a real job. I did give it a try and let me tell you, there was something shady about this whole thing. Not to mention dangerous, being in a parking lot in some not so great neighborhoods and you have merchandise in your car and money in your pocket. Tell me that doesnt say "target" for some wanna be thug out there. Anyway, if anyone out there wants to try it good luck but keep an open mind and dont get talked into doing anything you dont feel comfortable doing.
Played

Dallas, TX

#19 Apr 21, 2010
I just recently got hired at 5 star. At first I was a little skeptical but I thought why not give it a try. I went to the first interview and was told to call back at 4ish. Then of course I was hired... I went in to the second interview and it was full of 20 or more people. So afer we sat there for 2 hours or so, we left and was told to call back again. So of course I was hired, and when I attended orientation I knew it was a bunch of bs. As soon as he began to say that we had to sell parfum in order to get paid, I was outta there. So not many days after that I accidentally applied to them again... But this time it was Called Ultimate instead of Five Star. I went to another office in Westport this
time and as soon as I walked in I knew it was the same scheme. They had the music playing exactly as before and the FAKE
application was exactly the same. I was so Upset. But it was a lesson learned. I know that they are schemers becuz it is so many stories on here identical to mines. And I just wanna tell future job seekers to really investigate in depth, the company before they make any major decisions. It is not was its cracked up to be....
Daniel Carver

Irving, TX

#20 Apr 22, 2010
This is the oldest scam around....It started in the Westport area years ago. They also have a scam selling framed pictures etc.. All knockoff crap!
Shocker

Irving, TX

#22 Sep 16, 2010
Jasmine wrote:
<quoted text>
F*** You.!!! First Of All We're In No Kind of Class And Next Time Dumb **** Focus On The Story And Not How Someone Type.! It Shows You Had Nothing Else To Do!!!!
With an attitude like this no3709
wonder why no one will hire her!
Reader

Elsah, IL

#23 Jul 26, 2013
Any body with a brain would know this and we sure don't need the BBB to get involved .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Overland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Worthless Block Captains or do they have an Agenda 1 hr CSM1 26
Democrats in Chaos 23 hr Marcus Welby 82
Black People are MEAN and DIRTY Sat goodoleboy 2
best names for a pet chimp Fri truth 1
sheboons Fri truth 1
First 100 Days Fri Marcus Welby 2
News Fox News Accused of 'Plantation-Style Managemen... Fri Oh No You Di-nt 2

Overland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance