Civil rights case filed against groce...

Civil rights case filed against grocery store

There are 41 comments on the Daily Journal story from Oct 5, 2008, titled Civil rights case filed against grocery store. In it, Daily Journal reports that:

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission filed a lawsuit against Town & Country Grocers of Fredericktown on Monday alleging a black employee was subjected to racial harassment.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Journal.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Rebecca

Columbia, MO

#1 Oct 6, 2008
Having problems with peoples color should not be a problem we are all human. Just because we have a different color than most people does not make us different. I am white but I am not going to get upset about having an African American working for are stores. White Black were all the same as everyone else or anybody. There is nothing we can do about the color of are skin!

“zero nuclear weapons”

Since: Sep 08

Perryville

#2 Oct 12, 2008
The only thing that should matter is the content of one's heart.
lol

Washington, DC

#3 Oct 23, 2008
Rebecca wrote:
Having problems with peoples color should not be a problem we are all human. Just because we have a different color than most people does not make us different. I am white but I am not going to get upset about having an African American working for are stores. White Black were all the same as everyone else or anybody. There is nothing we can do about the color of are skin!
You can do something about the color of your skin. If you're interested, ask Michael Jackson.
nanna

Enterprise, AL

#4 Jan 8, 2009
Your work is the only thing that the employer has the right to remark on, the color of your skin is known at the time of employment and if it was a problem then they need to be put out of business. I bet they don't complain about the color of any ones skin when they take their money, and by the way it is also made of different colors. I am of many different nationalities, but the one that counts is American and my money spends just like any one elses, just not at their stores any more.
your mom

Lansing, MI

#5 Feb 27, 2009
Are you people really surprised?
1) Look who owns Town and Country
2) Look where you live.
The wars over and the south lost. Get over it hillbillys
no one

Union City, TN

#6 Mar 3, 2009
your mom wrote:
2) Look where you live.
They never will.
linda lou henson

United States

#7 Mar 11, 2009
i had worked for county mart deli in park hills,mo before.i loved my job.
being full time ,my hours started being cut to nothing .i did everything to save my job.turned to fredricktown,mo county mart corporate office.
that didnt work so i turned to the employment office.the lady there suggested a union to save my job.i asked her who.she said schnucks in st.louis,mo.i talked to the union reps.on the phone.they told me to go to work.befrore i clock in ask people if they were interested in union.i was told at the service counter in the store union talk would get me fired in a hurry.i was called to the deli in the bakery room.my deli manager didnt like the fact i went over her head and contacted the stores corporate office.after her speech.i called her a name.she hit me in the face with her fist.the manager of the store.that is still there today
didnt fire neither one of us.so i walked out because it was so humiliatingand i was hurt physically .i wasnt asked if i wanted to go to the hospital. the day it happened i didnt have transportation.i staggered to the employment office.the same lady said she hoped i took care of my problem.i staggered home.i contacted the police by phone from my house.two officers ask me if i wanted to fill out a report.when i say i was staggering .i mean i was seeing stars from the blow of my deli managers fist hitting me.i went ahead and staggered to the police department in park hills
to fill out a report.the officer of the law.he wasnt one of them that came to my house .told me
the lady that hit me could counter suit me.i didnt know what counter suit meant.he explained it to me.it scared me so i went back home.i contacted the union reps at schnucks store.i told them i was slugged by my deli boss.he asked me on the phone if i wanted one of there attorneys to help me.i said yes.i never heard from them again
i contacted eeoc.they told me it had to be about race,disability ,or religion.they couldnt help a white woman that been assaulted at her work place.they told me to contact a prosecuting attorney.i did in farmington,mo by phone.well they dont handle that kind of case.so i got sent to this one and that one and i didnt have a case.as for as the civil rights case that was in the daily journal newspaper.i am glad she could do something about it.but what about me?i have had to live with this for years.knowing i was assaulted and couldnt do anything about it.the manager of the store should of asked me if i wanted to press charges.instead of me going to door to door begging strangers for help 'so to speak'when i was assaulted in the backery at work.a ex- potosi,missouri cop that also worked there and his girlfriend was also a manager.he seen my deli manager assault me.he had a under age high school girl fill out the report.another manager was reading the report to other workers like i was a joke when my sister was in the store one night shopping.my sister was upset and ask the manager why he was reading my report to other workers in front of her.she asked him why the manager that assaulted me was still there.later on after this i got a letter in the mail from fredricktown,mo corporate office
the letter was about my assault.but it wasnt the report from the ex-police officer that worked there.
according to the report from corporate office in fredricktown,mo.it read i assaulted the deli manager first .and she struck back to defend her self.different from the civil rights story.what does one do when they have this done to them?i have met the fredricktown,mo.corporate
people before .first time at a christmas store party.they were very nice people.so i dont blame them.i do blame the store manager that is still there today at county mart in park hills.he should of fired the deli manager.what do you people think?i know the civil rights case was a different story then mine.if she is reading this.maybe she can give me some advice.
Duck Soup

Festus, MO

#8 May 7, 2009
I have met the owner of the store here in fredericktown and don't mind saying that he is a good christian man. As far as rascism and biggotry, that is world wide not just isolated to small towns in certain geographic regions. I am ashamed that it happened here in our town though.
larebear

Saint Louis, MO

#9 Jul 24, 2009
your mom wrote:
2) Look where you live.
the employees own town and country and im an employee so watch your mouth
leonardo

Wardell, MO

#10 Aug 3, 2009
your mom wrote:
2) Look where you live.
I personally know the owner of Country Mart, and he is a very good man. I have worked for him in the past, and always enjoyed working at Country Mart. I, for one, am tired of hearing people that don't even know him, bad mouth him. Just because he has money, doesn't give anyone the right to judge him. As far as referring to us as Hillbillies (yeah, you need to check your spelling), that doesn't classify you as upper class. As for the incident that occured, I don't even know that the accusations are actually fact.
one of them

United States

#11 Aug 5, 2009
I worked for Town and Country for over 3 years, and it is not a good place to work. They underpay and do nothing for their employees. I worked full time the whole time I was there but I couldn't receive benefits because I wasn't a department manager. Every Christmas we did receive a bonus, if that is what you want to call it. It was for $10.00 and taxes were taken out of it after. Bob Hufford is not a good man and uses people to get more for himself.
lindalouhenson

United States

#12 Sep 18, 2009
leonardo .your one of the lucky ones.just like any other store the managers have there pick.luckily you were one of them and i was not.i worked at this grocery store twice.the first time during this year i was dating one of the store managers.that is why i left the first time.the man was a joke,did drugs,and had sexual affairs like there was no tomorrow.i even had bikers tell me he was under cover and heard the rumor he belonged to some weird religious group.who cares?.i would of stayed at county mart store if it wasnt for him.after this i went to pizza inn.i broke up with the store manager.'thank god' i did some telemarketing. we were given a phone book or someone would give us numbers to call.i called one number the lady said kkk on the phone.her voice sounded familiar.i mentioned her name she knew right away who i was.she worked at county mart store in park hills.she asked me on the phone if i knew what kkk was.then she went into detail telling me she belonged to it and her husband was
the head of it.i remember reading about these meetings maybe in the late 80's in a local newspaper.at the time the meeting was being held in desloge,missouri.see if you listen and have your eyes open like me and you read alot of old microfilm newspaper clippings like i do.you learn alot.like potosi,missouri used to have non government meetings at the ole suzzanne place . but according to the newspaper .the law was invited to these meetings.i wasnt part of the crowd when i worked at this store twice.you either fit in our you dont.alot of people have this problem at alot of work places still today.it has to stop.
Shishkabob

Park Hills, MO

#13 Sep 18, 2009
For the love of god you retard, if your goona post, at least use proper grammar and sentene structure. That was the most consfusing post I have ever tried to read.
microfilmjunky

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Oct 6, 2009
now shishkabob you shouldnt call people names
i shopped there all the time. lindalouhenson
is telling the truth
the first time she worked in the store deli.there was a lady that worked there . her and her husband ran kkk
the second time she worked there .she got verbal abused and her hours were cut
and she got slugged in her face by her female deli manager
OK PEOPLE

Chesterfield, MO

#15 Oct 7, 2009
OMG shish, if you are going to correct someone, then at least spell your words correctly. You made yourself look more a fool than the one you called a retard.
inleadwood

Farmington, MO

#16 Oct 7, 2009
I and my family are new to the area, and I would like confirmation to this. I do not mean to imply someone is not telling the truth, but if this is true, my family and I will NOT support this place with our business.
Ron Parker

United States

#17 Jan 14, 2010
larebear wrote:
<quoted text>
the employees own town and country and im an employee so watch your mouth
this my friend is a threat you couldnt have been any dummer just cause its employee owned dont mean shit the store is out for money only if this would have been you i bet your dum ass would be singing a diffrent song
low life

United States

#18 Jan 14, 2010
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
You can do something about the color of your skin. If you're interested, ask Michael Jackson.
okay that is disrespect for the dead. besides there isnt a phone company out there with that kind of long distance, it was funny i dnt care who you are. lmao.

“Retired FAA”

Since: Mar 09

Fredericktown

#19 Jan 14, 2010
The title of the thread contains the words "alleging a black employee was subjected to racial harassment"

Note the word alleging, the lawsuit has been filed, but has it been settled? All I want is the facts Mam. Political correctness has sometimes surpassed common sense. Before you find T&C guilty, let them have their day in court.(maybe two days)
Ron Parker

United States

#20 Jan 15, 2010
sacomo wrote:
The title of the thread contains the words "alleging a black employee was subjected to racial harassment"
Note the word alleging, the lawsuit has been filed, but has it been settled? All I want is the facts Mam. Political correctness has sometimes surpassed common sense. Before you find T&C guilty, let them have their day in court.(maybe two days)
you mean too give the store a chance to come up with a some whatbelieveable excuse so every one will buy the shit i say the store should be closed untill case has been heard and if the employee lose money oh well such is life in the shitty usa now days theres all ways wal mart

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Overland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are white people half pig? (Sep '15) 7 min I AM BABOON 74
Quote Of The Week (Mar '15) 42 min Marcus Welby 220
News Top Three Restaurants in Florissant, Missouri (Apr '10) 45 min Taco of destruction 63
News Yes, #BlackLivesMatter Is About Hate 1 hr Jeremy 8
You PFHUCKKINGGG N(EYE)_G_G_E_R_S Make the WHIT... 5 hr PHILBERT 2
Neighborhood Stabilization Program 16 hr Taco of destruction 32
Vintage Florissant! (Jan '08) 20 hr blackhawk 754

Overland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Overland Mortgages