bookluver

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2008

What are some of the "High-Crime" Areas in Florissant? I got the end part of something on the news relating to cracking down on crime in these areas. Just Curious.
ward8

Hazelwood, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2008

In my area they consider "high crime" vandalism and car break ins. Thats all I have heard about anyway. There are a lot of teens in my neighborhood, but they honestly dont seem like the type that would cause trouble. Its just hard to tell sometimes though. I really wish my bedroom window was on the front of the house, it makes it real awkward at night when you hear something to walk all the way to the front. It kind of makes me feel like if they know my floor plan my house is an easy target to break in my cars etc.
I recomend the following, and no I am not pretending to be an expert I just want you all to be safe.
Motion detector lights in the front and back yards
Lock the rear entrance to your garage if you have one.
Basement door lock
Leave a different light on every night or a tv.(FPD reccomends this)

Like I said, the only crimes I know of in my area are vanalism and car break ins. That doesnt mean anything, and I am not taking any chances!
RAR

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2008

In The Know

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2008

RAR wrote:
http://www.florissantmo.com/po licenew/reports/crimeReports/c rimeReports.shtml
It would be interesting to take the last 6 months of reports and plot them on a map to see if one area stand out more than another.
Florissant native

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2008

Judged:

In The Know wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be interesting to take the last 6 months of reports and plot them on a map to see if one area stand out more than another.
Now If my memory serves me right we have no crime or gangs in the beautiful city of florissant per the Mayor.
Pethead

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2008

Judged:

In The Know wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be interesting to do what you suggest, In The Know. But wouldn't we get the bigger picture if we took a window of years, say 2002 through 2007 and tally crimes in one area at a time. I'm sure you'd find a steady increase in certain areas of the city. Sometimes criminal activity seems to hit us all at once, when the problem probably grows slowly and steadily until it gets our attention. Sorta like watching your grass grow. LOL

I never was impressed by statistics. Because even though statistics may show one thing, you can always find other statistics to counter the opposing statistics. But sometimes they can explain what we can't see or fail to see.

Just my 2
Cards Fan

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2008

In the Know,
So are you implying, car thefts occur in the grandview apartment area? Kids stealing things from cars occur mostly in apartment complexes, right? Burglaries occur in old town, or neighborhoods north of 67?

I've heard ward 8 is the winner for the highest crime statistics. What's your take?
In The Know

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2008

Cards Fan wrote:
In the Know,
So are you implying, car thefts occur in the grandview apartment area? Kids stealing things from cars occur mostly in apartment complexes, right? Burglaries occur in old town, or neighborhoods north of 67?
I've heard ward 8 is the winner for the highest crime statistics. What's your take?
I hav enot had the time to plot the areas but it does appear that the crime travels from area to area at least in the car thefts. It looks as if one month it may be cars off the Patterson Road area and the next it travels to the Paddock Hills area. As most commerce is along the Lindbergh corridor there is high theft there. Intend to look over the next few weeks.- The one area that does seem to cause issues is the Stonebridge Apts on Dunn Road near Rizzo's. The complex has absentee ownership from out of state and the management does not appear to have a good track record on screening tenants.
Cards Fan

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2008

Thanks for the info.
SMN48

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2008

you cant really follow a trend in those crime reports, besides car thefts n such. Burglaries seem to happen all over. I was hoping they could show the addresses of stealing, and smaller offenses. I think an idea of where these offenses would happen could be spotted more often in particular areas... of course i could be wrong. Check out the annual report. Crime seemed to have spiked in 07 compared to the last few years, yet arrests were at a five year low.
Bedfellow

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2008

Judged:

Florissant should subscribe to these people like Hazelwood did. http://www.crimereports.com/
Pretty up to date from what I see.
If Flomo can use an outside company (redlight cams) to take in money, they can use "crimereports" to inform their residents in an up to date manner what is going on around them.
End of story..
Shmatistics

Belleville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2008

Judged:

Pethead wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be interesting to do what you suggest, In The Know. But wouldn't we get the bigger picture if we took a window of years, say 2002 through 2007 and tally crimes in one area at a time. I'm sure you'd find a steady increase in certain areas of the city. Sometimes criminal activity seems to hit us all at once, when the problem probably grows slowly and steadily until it gets our attention. Sorta like watching your grass grow. LOL
I never was impressed by statistics. Because even though statistics may show one thing, you can always find other statistics to counter the opposing statistics. But sometimes they can explain what we can't see or fail to see.
Just my 2
Statistics are only as truthful as the individuals in charge of controlling and reporting them. If a politician wants people to think he/she is doing a good job and hold onto power, they will talk about their city as being "one of the safest cities in America." And these people are in charge of reporting crime or "new business" statistics, too. Conflict of interest.

Report your own performance review stats and tell your boss what a great job you're doing so you get a nice big raise.

Alot of scientists and researchers are now funded by the pharmaceutical and tobacco industries. Guess what their statistics are skewed towards? A favorable report in the drug or products in question.
Florissant Citizen

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2008

Judged:

Yesterday (Friday) was one hell of a day. A Florissant Park dept employee told me that Dungent Park had a very large gathering of very rowdy gangsters. There was a fight--perhaps for initiation. One pulled out a handgun nearly two feet long and fired it in the air. Then the police responded.
At the same time two cars entered St. Ferdinand Park and drove around the park at high speeds (I was told about 60 mph, but I can't fathom that) and burning donuts in the lot. This is a normally tranquil park that people take leisurely walks and driving speed limits is 10 mph. A local school was having a field trip with young children walking around. People were terrified and because of the ruckus in Dunegant Park, it took over an hour before the Park employees could get the police to respond. The Parks employees were doing everything they could to try to get these individuals to slow down so nobody would get hurt. Thankfully no one did except for everyone's nerves were rattled.
It appears that the Dungent Park ruckus and St. Ferdinand Park intrusion could have been simultaneously planned. Could it be that a gang is challenging Mayor Lowery's resolve to keep crime out of the city. I think we need remote cameras in the parks, assisted monitoring by citizen volunteers, setting up a database of individuals being active in these disruptions, and tracking them down like animals whereever they go. We can't be surrendering this country to lawless criminals and I don't care what color they are.
hmmm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2008

Judged:

Florissant Citizen wrote:
Yesterday (Friday) was one hell of a day. A Florissant Park dept employee told me that Dungent Park had a very large gathering of very rowdy gangsters. There was a fight--perhaps for initiation. One pulled out a handgun nearly two feet long and fired it in the air. Then the police responded.
At the same time two cars entered St. Ferdinand Park and drove around the park at high speeds (I was told about 60 mph, but I can't fathom that) and burning donuts in the lot. This is a normally tranquil park that people take leisurely walks and driving speed limits is 10 mph. A local school was having a field trip with young children walking around. People were terrified and because of the ruckus in Dunegant Park, it took over an hour before the Park employees could get the police to respond. The Parks employees were doing everything they could to try to get these individuals to slow down so nobody would get hurt. Thankfully no one did except for everyone's nerves were rattled.
It appears that the Dungent Park ruckus and St. Ferdinand Park intrusion could have been simultaneously planned. Could it be that a gang is challenging Mayor Lowery's resolve to keep crime out of the city. I think we need remote cameras in the parks, assisted monitoring by citizen volunteers, setting up a database of individuals being active in these disruptions, and tracking them down like animals whereever they go. We can't be surrendering this country to lawless criminals and I don't care what color they are.
Sounds like a mixture of truth and fiction.
McNorth Grad

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2008

Judged:

yes it is, hmmm...

Since: May 08

Saint Louis metro area

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

Coteau Lane in Florissant used to be vandalized frequently until the city put up a fence dividing the Grandview apartments from Coteau Lane about a year or two ago.

As I've heard the stories, my neighbors living on that street were having break-ins, cars vandalized, and many youths frequently stood in the middle of the street purposely blocking cars driving by. The kids used this street to loiter while on their way to shoot hoops at Robinwood. I've read that the city has since removed the basketball hoops.

Many houses on Coteau went up for sale. Apparently, the city knocked on each of their doors asking why the reason for the disproportionate amount of houses for sale here.

As a result, there was a town meeting, and the chain link fence went up dividing the apartments from the houses. It's ashame because I used to enjoy walking to Schnucks along the paved sidewalk which is now cut off by the high and unsightly fence.
SMN48

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

Judged:

kids still climb the fence and walk the street. Nothin new. I was told there would be thorn bushes placed on the grassy side of the fence. still waiting for them
I care

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

Judged:

Look at 170 Coteau. I have seen them selling dope out of that house. Lots of dope!!! Hell they still have happy x-mas written on the windows. The kids climb he fence to buy drugs. This house is crap...take back our neighborhood or the crap will overcome us!!!

Remember 170 Coteau
SMN48

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

Judged:

so why havent you reported this when you saw this "lots and lots" of dope you have claimed to see. We got complaints on our tool shed. This house is next to condemned, with grafiti all over, and nothing is said about it.
Punisher

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

Judged:

It has been reported to the PD. I personally have sat on this house. But most drug dealers are smart and its hard to catch them. I care, just remember we are trying and sitting in areas to catch these guys. wink wink you never know when the eye in the sky is also watching. Thanks the for the watch out.

All you residents of Coteau, Dauphin, etc... please keep a watchful eye out for that house

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 23
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Excessive Heat Warning for St Louis County was issued at August 27 at 3:49PM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Overland Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Overland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Overland News, Events & Info