Walmart at it again.
Mark Behlmann

Florissant, MO

#148 Apr 9, 2013
What people don't understand is, Wal-Mart does not care about the community- they only care about the retail demographic ring. The City of Florissant, in this case, is not thinking regionally but rather what suits the city's financial local tax base. " us vs. them". Wal-Mart DOES NOT NEED JAMESTOWN MALL! WHY? Because the Wal-Mart family under the name of Jamestown Shopping Center LLC already owns 11.7 acres across the street from Jamestown Mall at 5875 North Hwy 67, which is currently zoned commercial as they need. So other than the banker, WHO really wants Wal-Mart in Florissant?
hardhead

Florissant, MO

#149 Apr 9, 2013
if walmart builds a store anywhere close to florissant you will see all kinds of other stores close up, just fact. look at whats happened in other cities. shoe stores and clothing stores and wally world sell auto parts also. i don't think target and k mart would last long. the only erason walmart on west florissant doesn't hurt the city to bad is because it's in the hood and not safe to go there at during the day much less at night. wouldn't buy any of their non union crap anyway. i don't want to live in wally world.
unused assets

United States

#150 Apr 9, 2013
Mark Behlmann wrote:
What people don't understand is, Wal-Mart does not care about the community- they only care about the retail demographic ring. The City of Florissant, in this case, is not thinking regionally but rather what suits the city's financial local tax base. " us vs. them". Wal-Mart DOES NOT NEED JAMESTOWN MALL! WHY? Because the Wal-Mart family under the name of Jamestown Shopping Center LLC already owns 11.7 acres across the street from Jamestown Mall at 5875 North Hwy 67, which is currently zoned commercial as they need. So other than the banker, WHO really wants Wal-Mart in Florissant?
The Hazelwood School Distrit owns open tracks of ground as well. No plans to build on it. The HSD don't pay taxes, so why don't HSD sell the property to a tax paying entity to get on the tax rolls, and put the cash back into the District and try lower some of our tax rates. We don't see much compasion from the HSD when it comes to tax payers. Teachers and administrators are soaking up whatever reserves the district has.
truthie ruthie

Florissant, MO

#151 Apr 9, 2013
The truth is the city needs walmart more than walmart need the city. People should welcome them with open arms. Generating tax monies from havin a walmart is a good thing because youre gonna need more revenues sooner than later. Union or non union aint got a damn thing to do with the tax benefits to the city.
Mark Behlmann

Florissant, MO

#152 Apr 9, 2013
unused assets wrote:
<quoted text>
The Hazelwood School Distrit owns open tracks of ground as well. No plans to build on it. The HSD don't pay taxes, so why don't HSD sell the property to a tax paying entity to get on the tax rolls, and put the cash back into the District and try lower some of our tax rates. We don't see much compasion from the HSD when it comes to tax payers. Teachers and administrators are soaking up whatever reserves the district has.
You are correct. Hazelwood owns one open piece of property 75 acres adjoining the Wal-Mart Property to the north. Approximately 25 acres zoned agricultural, another 25 acres zoned none urban, and 25 acres zoned commercial. The total property was purchased from the Wal-Mart family of which at one time was to be developed for a Wal-Mart store. These development plans were defeated by the Jamestown Association some 25 years ago due to the Karst watershed. This property is slated for a future high school. In 2004 a Hazelwood community committee /group identified growing student projections for our area and a high school would be needed. With the residential real estate bubble bursting in 2007/08 student population did not grow as projected. The Hazelwood First Committee refocused from previous needs to current needs. Although the property is currently not for sale, if and when a developer would approach the Hazelwood school district (to sell) it would be thoroughly reviewed. The Hazelwood school district in previous years has rolled back its tax rates, but unfortunately NEW State of Missouri Regulations around 2009/10 blocked that procedure forcing the district to hold at its current level. The Hazelwood First community engagement committee was widely publicized and inviting to all stakeholders. This committee (of residents) formulated the plan submitted to the board of education for action. The board simply put things in motion. All bond issue money and or tax increases raised was specifically earmarked and accountable. Public reporting of all monies has been transparent and is available on the school district website. As far as taxpayer compassion, school board meetings are open to the public and opportunities of community patron’s involvement are highly encouraged and welcome. Patron’s voices ARE heard and all tax money decision are presented to the voters. Teachers and administrators are NOT soaking up any financial reserves. Federal and state financial reductions are providing less funds. Lower county assessed values generate less district income thanks to our economical downturn. I agree it is a vicious circle. But do not take my word for it here, come and attended school board meetings in order to get familiar with the district’s funding procedures. Better yet, get involved with the Hazelwood NEXT committee to get a full understanding of school finance. For years I have always preached for people to get directly involved. You have a personal invitation from me. Thank you.
sandman 2015

Florissant, MO

#153 Apr 10, 2013
Walmart didnt come with a TIF. Walmart did not come with a CID. Walmart is coming because they just want to be a part of the City of Florissant. This is going to help generate more taxes payed into the city of Florissant as well as the school districts. I am going to say this 50% want it. 50% dont want it. I have been to the st peters walmart and schnucks and shop n save get along just fine out their. Schnucks finally took some action and are price matching walmart's groceries. Look at kirkwood, and Chesterfied Valley even with small businesses in their developments they have benefited by having a walmart in their community and the developments have been able to get more tenants of that nature. even the lindbergh plaza at lindbergh where to halls ferry inn used to be they are going to benefit from this development being open. I think florissant is going in the right direction with this. Please pass this development as amended so that way this project gets moved forward.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#154 Apr 10, 2013
and another thing Walmart is paying for a new driveway for the Lindbergh plaza at where the old Halls FErry inn used to be as well as a cross access from sunswept to get over to the Lindbergh plaza. there will be a stop light and sun-swept has been trying to get a light at the Lindbergh side for years as well as providing a service entrance for the trucks in this new plan. the last plan had them using the light and coming around. the agreement with Lindbergh plaza was reached with the replacement of the driveway as well as the parking and the new cross access. everything has been satisfyed. I think it is time for some friendly competition.
CBN

Florissant, MO

#155 Apr 11, 2013
Thank you for the response Mark.
hardhead

Florissant, MO

#156 Apr 11, 2013
that's just what we need is more stop lights, can't go 50 feet without hitting a stop sign or stoplight now. look around the country at the smaller towns and cities,walmart has consumed every small store and bizz around when they move in. they are like a cancer. they will hurt every store around and they will be gone in a short time. this has happened in many,many cities across the country where walmart has invaded.
move to the country

United States

#157 Apr 11, 2013
hardhead wrote:
that's just what we need is more stop lights, can't go 50 feet without hitting a stop sign or stoplight now. look around the country at the smaller towns and cities,walmart has consumed every small store and bizz around when they move in. they are like a cancer. they will hurt every store around and they will be gone in a short time. this has happened in many,many cities across the country where walmart has invaded.
move to utah or somewhere else
hardhead

Florissant, MO

#158 Apr 11, 2013
move to the country wrote:
<quoted text>
move to utah or somewhere else
you move, you are a fool for buying into this. and buy the way this city would be better off without sunswept apartments,aspen woods,grandview and cross keys. all they do is breed crime and filth. talk to any law enforcement person and they will tell you they hate these places.some kinda bullshit going on all the time.
wALLy wOrLd rocks

Wentzville, MO

#159 Apr 11, 2013
hardhead wrote:
<quoted text> you move, you are a fool for buying into this. and buy the way this city would be better off without sunswept apartments,aspen woods,grandview and cross keys. all they do is breed crime and filth. talk to any law enforcement person and they will tell you they hate these places.some kinda bullshit going on all the time.
You are a realM-o-r-o-n.
Figured it out

Florissant, MO

#160 Apr 11, 2013
hardhead wrote:
<quoted text> you move, you are a fool for buying into this. and buy the way this city would be better off without sunswept apartments,aspen woods,grandview and cross keys. all they do is breed crime and filth. talk to any law enforcement person and they will tell you they hate these places.some kinda bullshit going on all the time.
Yes there are blacks who live in those places. There are also whites and a lot of seniors who are on fixed incomes and get assistance. Maybe you should consider all the facts instead of just those you choose.

Have you ever in your entire life treated anyone who does not think like you and behave like you decently? I seriously doubt it.
Have you ever even considered treating people as individuals? Ever thought about the fact that the criminal was black, rather than all blacks are criminals? Or course not, because that really isn't your agenda. You dislike (hate if you will) blacks because they are black, not just the criminals or those who are not decent people. That's your choice, but at least be honest enough to admit that's what it is. Yeah, I know you are going to go back to your pointless disclaimer about "thugs" and so forth, but the truth always comes out.
hardhead

Florissant, MO

#161 Apr 11, 2013
wALLy wOrLd rocks wrote:
<quoted text>You are a realM-o-r-o-n.
you are a jackass!
hardhead

Florissant, MO

#162 Apr 11, 2013
don't care about any of this crap, but if you look alittle farther than your front yard you would see what's going on around you. walmart is bad for all the other stores around. competing for the best prices is good for everyone, but walmart low balls everybody and then they go out of bizz. seen it all over the country. i'm not saying all blacks are bad or criminals, just most of them and that's a fact. i treat people the way i want to be treated but with the blacks they act like animals, just fact. that said i wouldn't want one of them using my bathroom or kitchen forks. take a look a the prisons, more blacks by far. why is that if they are such a great race.they have ruined this country. they are one of the reasons we are in the shape we are in. bad loans to bad blacks be it a home loan or a car loan. take a look at the businesses in black neigborhoods they are behind three inchs of bullet proof glass. what's that telling you? these were white neighborhoods at one time and good places to live. the blacks move in and everything goes down the crapper. FACT! you tell me what the problem is. this just keeps repeating itself over and over across this country.
hardhead

Florissant, MO

#163 Apr 11, 2013
wALLy wOrLd rocks wrote:
<quoted text>You are a realM-o-r-o-n.
open your eyes,dumbass
PopTheBubble

Florissant, MO

#164 Apr 11, 2013
I have to give walmart credit for this....

They've managed to politicize themselves into this farce of a American, tea bag lovin', union hatin', gun sellin, redneck paradise and these sheeple buy into it.
Of course the koch bros. and walmart billionaires created the entire movement out of thin air and they're too blind to see that for what it is too, so what do you expect.
Nothing gets inside the bubble or their concrete filled heads.
Union people hate walmart? well then if i'm a teabagger moron I must have to love walmart.
These feeble minded 'Mericans only hear what larry the cable guy tells em between git-r-done.
If they would actually bother to read FACTS or do any kind of research for themselves they would see that they are being sold a bill of goods at their own expense.
If they held walmart and oh so many other billionaire empires to the patriotic standards they scream about they'd be marching in droves with torches to burn every last one to the ground.
If they cared one bit about slave workers, deaths, and rapes that occur in the factories walmart builds to sell out our AMERICAN jobs their heads would explode.
But the wlamart and teabagger idiots just don't seem to be capable of thinking for themselves and rely on the rush lintballs and ted nugent.
Marcus Welby

United States

#165 Apr 11, 2013
There is a very informative chapter on Wal-Mart in Steven Malanga's book "The New New Left--How American Politics Works Today" in case anyone cares to read it.
PopTheBubble

Florissant, MO

#166 Apr 11, 2013
Marcus Welby wrote:
There is a very informative chapter on Wal-Mart in Steven Malanga's book "The New New Left--How American Politics Works Today" in case anyone cares to read it.
Yes of course, bleeding every last ounce out of the American worker, selling out our jobs to 3rd world slave labor, crushing the middle class while these so called patriotic billionaires contribute little to nothing, and suck up even more corporate welfare is just what will save our country.
That book should be printed on a roll so you can wipe with it as you go.
I love this idea that paying good wages, building factories here at home, supporting this country and it's workers isn't the duty of these billionaire companies. How can anyone that loves this country not see this crap for what it is....greed and outright TREASON!
How much is enough? one billion, five billion, 25 billion? When do you teabaggers wake up and realize they are stealing our country. They might as well have kicked down your door and robbed you, and we are letting them because they continue to divide us with lies and bs.
Malanga's just another o'riley schill selling the same bs bill of goods. More faux-patriotic, billionaire propaganda to prey on idiots, a perfect example of right wing sheeple being duped into selling out themselves, their kid's and Americas future.
PopTheBubble

Florissant, MO

#167 Apr 11, 2013
And while I'm at it the single biggest LIE I hear Malanga tell over and over again is how Union dues fund PACS. BS BS BS and he knows it. Every union has a pac, yes. They are all funded through separate VOLUNTARY funds that we may choose to or not to contribute.
Why are there such a large number of politicians that belong to unions and /or are pro union.
Well for one we actually put the time in. We give our time and dollars to back people that will best protect ours and our families future.
We man phonebanks or knock on your door to have an intelligent conversation and educate people about our candidates. We VOLUNTEER our time to explain our candidates positions.
All I seem to get from the right wing tea baggers are mass-mailings and robocalls. They talk a good game but actually do little to support their people and really, most are simply incapable of explaining their candidates positions because they honestly don't have a clue what they are.
And when they do actually have a real person working the phones most of them are paid to do so. Guess everyone else is too busy either shopping for either a new foreign car or some camo at walmart

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Overland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Crimes near your home? 32 min Marcus Welby 62
Ferguson Shop and Save closiing 1 hr ShrimpDog 16
National Pie Day 12 hr peter peter peter 7
Real Estate Prices and moving..... (Sep '15) 15 hr Shopper 81
Trump Wins ! ! ! Sun TTU 26
News 2 Walmart stores in southeast Missouri to close Sun Royalty 7
Donald Trump Against Chimps Sun Salty Nuts 2

Overland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance