Police officers fall down elevator shaft

Police officers fall down elevator shaft

There are 55 comments on the The Morning Call story from Oct 17, 2008, titled Police officers fall down elevator shaft. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

A Bucks County police chief and a police officer fell about 40-feet down an elevator shaft at a winery while making a routine check at the property last night, according to Bucks County Communications Center.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
CHRISTIAN BROTHER

Telford, PA

#1 Oct 17, 2008
PRAY TO GOD for healing of these officers injuries and that they will be able to work at there jobs when they are fully healed
SniffSniff

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Oct 17, 2008
What's that smell?

I smell a lawsuit!
RonMania

Washington, DC

#3 Oct 17, 2008
Keystone cops at their best!
corgiman

Allentown, PA

#4 Oct 17, 2008
Go get em OSHA
Suze

Lemoyne, PA

#5 Oct 17, 2008
I never understood how one accidently falls down an ACTIVE elevator shaft... especially right after someone else did...
philly

Sweden

#7 Oct 17, 2008
Why didn't they have flashlights???

What were they doing on private property anyway???
Amused Crack-er

Bethlehem, PA

#8 Oct 17, 2008
philly wrote:
Why didn't they have flashlights???
What were they doing on private property anyway???
Reread the article and try to comprehend WHY they were on the property.
Criminal Minded

Allentown, PA

#9 Oct 17, 2008
Pounded Pork!!!!
Will

Allentown, PA

#10 Oct 17, 2008
Falling down an elevator shaft at a winery? Sampling the wares?

I do hope they are okay.
Mike

Lawrenceville, GA

#11 Oct 17, 2008
The injured officers certainly have my sympathy and I wish them a speedy recovery.

Isn't being trained to assess a scene and safely handle potentially dangerous situations exactly what officers are trained (and paid) to do, though?
aus

Kutztown, PA

#12 Oct 17, 2008
i agree with you mike..

how can these officers be trusted to logically handle a dangerous situation when they both walk into a huge hole in the ground?

40 feet is a pretty serious fall though. hopefully the only permanent damage is to their egos.
Matty

Bethlehem, PA

#13 Oct 17, 2008
I'm guessing all of you quesioning their abilities aren't familiar with this place. I have first-hand experience with the layout of this building. In the dark, it would have been very easy to fall down this open shaft, especially considering there's supposed to be doors safeguarding against this kind of thing (there weren't).

As for the flashlights, I think the police are more concerned about illuminating what might have been lurking in the winery than staring three feet in front of them at the floor.

My well-wishes to the officers that are hurt.
Courage

Whitehouse Station, NJ

#14 Oct 17, 2008
God bless the families...
Rebus

Glenview, IL

#15 Oct 17, 2008
Was one of them named Barney Fife?
Thelioness

Emmaus, PA

#16 Oct 17, 2008
Suze wrote:
I never understood how one accidently falls down an ACTIVE elevator shaft... especially right after someone else did...
Some freight elevator shafts are located on the floor and by law have to have a door covering them.

I'm guessing this is the type they fell into. And it sounds as if the last person to leave (if it wasn't a thief!) either wasn't following protocol to close for the night or they left in a big hurry.

If the officers were investigating a possible break-in, they were probably aiming their flashlights (assuming they had some!) up higher to look for a person, and not aimed towards the ground. Who would have thought there would be a huge hole in the floor?

Since: Mar 07

Bethlehem, PA

#17 Oct 17, 2008
Thelioness wrote:
<quoted text>
Some freight elevator shafts are located on the floor and by law have to have a door covering them.
I'm guessing this is the type they fell into. And it sounds as if the last person to leave (if it wasn't a thief!) either wasn't following protocol to close for the night or they left in a big hurry.
If the officers were investigating a possible break-in, they were probably aiming their flashlights (assuming they had some!) up higher to look for a person, and not aimed towards the ground. Who would have thought there would be a huge hole in the floor?

I'm really not sure, but I wouldn't think this to be an OSHA issue unless it was during normal working hours.

In other words, OSHA protects employees from hazards, but during a time when no one is supposed to be there, I doubt they'd get involved.

As for the Cops, who went ONE-TWO right down this shaft, they really should have been spread-out and using their flashlights.
Suze

Lemoyne, PA

#18 Oct 17, 2008
Dennis Mac wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm really not sure, but I wouldn't think this to be an OSHA issue unless it was during normal working hours.
In other words, OSHA protects employees from hazards, but during a time when no one is supposed to be there, I doubt they'd get involved.
As for the Cops, who went ONE-TWO right down this shaft, they really should have been spread-out and using their flashlights.
Not OSHA but if they choose to sue they will still be able to subpoena the Elevator Division of Bureau of Occupational and Industrial Safety. They have all the records of inspections and deficiencies. Not having a door over the elevator entrance should be a major deficiency, I'm not sure if there is a law regulating the door to be closed during off hours.
bobby

Allentown, PA

#19 Oct 17, 2008
Wow! Hope these guys turn out ok. They really got shafted!

Since: Mar 07

Bethlehem, PA

#20 Oct 17, 2008
Suze wrote:
<quoted text>
Not OSHA but if they choose to sue they will still be able to subpoena the Elevator Division of Bureau of Occupational and Industrial Safety. They have all the records of inspections and deficiencies. Not having a door over the elevator entrance should be a major deficiency, I'm not sure if there is a law regulating the door to be closed during off hours.

I hear you, and I still think that given the after-hours thing, the cops can't make a case against either the property owner, or the elevator manufacturer.

The cops are issued flashlights FOR THEIR OWN SAFETY, and in this case, it appears as though they were either mis-used, or not used at all.
Voice of Reason

Hazleton, PA

#22 Oct 17, 2008
all I can think of is the Goo Goo Dolls song "Long way down"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ottsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Upper Black Eddy Music Thread (Jul '14) Jul '17 Musikologist 6
News Police Blotter (Nov '08) Jun '17 Linda 2
News Pastor says he asked Fonder to leave church Unn... (Oct '08) Jul '16 kathy 37
ottsville firehouse stop and shop april 17th 11... (Mar '16) Mar '16 mama2nash 1
do you need an xmas loan (Oct '13) Oct '15 bernarlyn villamor 2
News Motorcyclist hit by truck in fatal Bucks County... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Agreed 55
Local Politics Do you approve of Diane M. Ellis-Marseglia as C... (May '12) Oct '14 Bucks resident 2

Ottsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ottsville Mortgages