Washington man accused of fatal hit-and-run crash near Watford City...

Full story: IN-FORUM

A Washington man is accused of a hit-and-run crash that killed one man and injured another near Watford City.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 18 of18
private

Sioux City, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Aug 25, 2012
 

Judged:

3

2

2

These men were beating on the accused individual and he was trying to get out of there fearing for his life. Jake Swartz left the state as soon as he was released from the hospital he stated that he didnt want to get caught for assualting the accused. The other individuals were the cause of this accident.
someone

Dickinson, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Aug 27, 2012
 

Judged:

4

2

1

private wrote:
These men were beating on the accused individual and he was trying to get out of there fearing for his life. Jake Swartz left the state as soon as he was released from the hospital he stated that he didnt want to get caught for assualting the accused. The other individuals were the cause of this accident.
I'm not sure where you get your information from, but this is totally untrue. If I lived out of state and something like this happened to me, I would go home too. So he wasn't trying to leave the state for the reasons you stated. He lived out of state and was going home to family. Think about that...
Someone else

Arcadia, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Aug 27, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

someone wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure where you get your information from, but this is totally untrue. If I lived out of state and something like this happened to me, I would go home too. So he wasn't trying to leave the state for the reasons you stated. He lived out of state and was going home to family. Think about that...
Agree!
Stunned by private post

Riverton, WY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Aug 27, 2012
 

Judged:

5

3

2

Hmmm....I watch a lot of true crime shows and I would have to say that it is very common for the person who just killed someone to make up stories. The "self defense" claim is a very common one. I can see how this "accused" would make this claim, especially since he just murdered one person and attempted to murder two others. Most people would have a hard time going home and telling mom & dad that they were drunk and trying to sell people a gun on company property. If the accused was being beaten as he states, get in your vehicle and lock the doors before, then drive off. Funny that there were no marking on the knuckles of the deceased or the other victims that would indicate have been in the process of beating someone. Where in the beating claim of the "accused" would it make it ok for him to kill one man and seriously injure another? Is it possible that "Jake" was fleeing for his safety once he was released from the hospital? Someone did just kill his bestfriend and try to kill him. Nevermind the fact that "Jake" is from out of state and needed to be with is family and his best friend since childhoods family during this time of mourning. The deceased leaves behind a five months pregnant wife and two small children. Leaves a lot to think about for Hunter Rhodes while he tries to place the blame for this terrible tragedy anywhere but on himself.
Comment For Private Post

Lander, WY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Aug 27, 2012
 

Judged:

4

4

2

@ The private post-
First just ridiculous – before you start saying that someone fled the state (get your facts straight) Jake & Bryan didn't permanently live in ND they are only there for work. So after Jake witnessed such a horrific event (that no one should ever have to see) He was released from the hospital and went home to be with his own family & the family of his deceased best friend (I guess that some people just don’t have respect for the events that come when there is a death involved – like his Funeral & taking care of the family in this time of sorrow)
Before anyone tries saying that this man was supposedly getting beat up (did he leave the scene and go immediately to the police or sheriff – NO he didn’t!!!) Hunter Rhodes was arrested at his home – so if you want to say that you are getting beat up and that you know you might have hurt someone fleeing the scene – why don’t you contact the police?)
All this Hunter Rhodes is trying to do is get off for killing a wonderful young man & hurting 2 others
(Bryan leaves behind 3 children – that will now grow up without their father!)
Have some respect Hunter Rhodes you know what you did was wrong (give the families some peace by just telling the truth!)
What are the Facts

Riverton, WY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Aug 28, 2012
 

Judged:

3

2

2

This incident has permanently marred the lives of 3 individuals and completely ended the life of another, not to mention all the lives that each of these touches. No matter how you look at it, or whose “side” you are on Hunter Rhodes killed Bryan and seriously injured Jacob, and injured and mentally scarred the other man, and not to mention that he has ruined his own life by his careless actions. It is unfortunate that in this day and age that Hunter cannot just admit that he is guilty and accept the punishment that comes with the crime, but rather that he must claim he is innocent and not at fault and then put everyone through the pain of going to a trial.
Since alcohol was involved and there were no other witnesses it will be up to each individual to try to remember exactly what happened and when there is so much emotion, stress and unconsciousness involved this can make knowing the entire truth hard. But if Hunter thought his life was being threatened why didn’t he just drive away and go to the police. Self-defense seems a bit strange when the people you attack are behind your vehicle, why not go forward and drive away. There were lots of people on the scene after the fact, but there are only 3 alive who know what happened before Bryan’s life was taken. It also seems rather wrong to call this an accident, since there was nothing accidental about it, self-defense or not Hunter ran over these men on purpose, that seems more like murder than manslaughter.
As far as leaving the state of North Dakota, most of the people who are working for this company are from out of state and do not have a permanent residence there. So where else would someone go to heal when they were released from the hospital other than their home even if it was in another state? Jacob was in contact with the police and they know where he was at, do they know the exact where a bouts of Hunter now that he is out on bail? Jacob is now under a doctor’s care and was hurt more than people know physically and mentally, but his main thoughts where to get back to be with the family of his best friend who had his life so swiftly taken from them by Hunters reckless behavior.
Come on Hunter Rhodes MAN-UP and admit what you did and let the lives you have affected begin to heal.
anonymous

Spokane, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Aug 31, 2012
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Why would there be 3 men and only one in the truck trying to get away? Its obvious they were attacking him. Yes it is very unfortunate a life was lost but is it fair that everyone assumes hunter was meaning to kill someone? If your feeling threatened and drive off, how is it his fault that the men wanted to attack him so badly that they put there own lives in danger. If this man has a family and children he should not be putting himself in these situations anyhow! Its funny how everyone thinks Hunter is just happy about this situation. Instead of knowing how loving and caring of a person he is and wouldnt never mean to harm anyone! Yes its so horrible that these men were injured, but people need to realize what Hunter has to live with also. Hunter will not waste his life in jail, he does NOT belong there. He needs to be home with his family also, Its funny that all of you can assume he has no feelings and pain about what has happend.
Willbros Employee

Jefferson City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Sep 3, 2012
 

Judged:

4

3

2

I just hope that Hunter knows that there are people here at Willbros pulling for him. We ALL know that BRIAN, JAKE and THOMAS (CHRIS) are ALL known as troublemakers. Maybe our company needs to doo background checks??? There are so many of my fellow co-workers are are afraid to come forward being harrassed. The truth has been coming out and people are realizing that Hunter was fearing for his life. CHRIS STILLWAGONER AND JAKE SWARTZ YOU BOTH NEED TO MAN UP AND TELL THE TRUTH!!! YOU STOLE HIS GUN THAT NIGHT AND THEN BEAT HIM UP!!! AND BECAUSE OF YOUR ACTIONS BRIAN GOT KILLED AND EVERYONE IS SUFFERING.
I have had the chance to meet Hunter a few times and let me tell you, he is the MOST honest, harmless person. And I am sure that he is going through alot of emotions just like everyone else. So people just need to let the courts handle this and move forward and stop being so heartless!
Concerned

Jefferson City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Sep 3, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Now you were the one that went into Brian's Camper without permission and came out with a few garbage bags full of stuff. DOES HIS FAMILY KNOW THIS BECKY???
What are the Facts

Riverton, WY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Sep 5, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

anonymous wrote:
Why would there be 3 men and only one in the truck trying to get away? Its obvious they were attacking him. Yes it is very unfortunate a life was lost but is it fair that everyone assumes hunter was meaning to kill someone? If your feeling threatened and drive off, how is it his fault that the men wanted to attack him so badly that they put there own lives in danger. If this man has a family and children he should not be putting himself in these situations anyhow! Its funny how everyone thinks Hunter is just happy about this situation. Instead of knowing how loving and caring of a person he is and wouldnt never mean to harm anyone! Yes its so horrible that these men were injured, but people need to realize what Hunter has to live with also. Hunter will not waste his life in jail, he does NOT belong there. He needs to be home with his family also, Its funny that all of you can assume he has no feelings and pain about what has happend.
Hunter may be loving and caring when he is sober, but alcohol changes people. No matter what happened Hunter killed a person and then went home to bed, that doesn’t show much remorse. So even if he sobered up and felt bad about what happened, Bryan Neil can’t wake up and feel bad about the evening. Why didn’t Hunter go to the police? As I said before this was an unfortunate incident, but everyone is responsible for their actions and no matter how you look at it Bryan is dead and Hunter was the driver who killed him. He should be upset and feel bad but there are consequences for peoples actions that need to be dealt with.
What are the Facts

Riverton, WY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Sep 5, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Concerned wrote:
Now you were the one that went into Brian's Camper without permission and came out with a few garbage bags full of stuff. DOES HIS FAMILY KNOW THIS BECKY???
This is for Becky......It is unfortunate that other people felt the need to go into Bryan’s camper and ransack it. I hope the things you took will give you great pleasure when you “use them”. Grave robbers are evidently not a thing of the past.
What are the Facts

Riverton, WY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Sep 5, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Willbros Employee wrote:
I just hope that Hunter knows that there are people here at Willbros pulling for him. We ALL know that BRIAN, JAKE and THOMAS (CHRIS) are ALL known as troublemakers. Maybe our company needs to doo background checks??? There are so many of my fellow co-workers are are afraid to come forward being harrassed. The truth has been coming out and people are realizing that Hunter was fearing for his life. CHRIS STILLWAGONER AND JAKE SWARTZ YOU BOTH NEED TO MAN UP AND TELL THE TRUTH!!! YOU STOLE HIS GUN THAT NIGHT AND THEN BEAT HIM UP!!! AND BECAUSE OF YOUR ACTIONS BRIAN GOT KILLED AND EVERYONE IS SUFFERING.
I have had the chance to meet Hunter a few times and let me tell you, he is the MOST honest, harmless person. And I am sure that he is going through alot of emotions just like everyone else. So people just need to let the courts handle this and move forward and stop being so heartless!
Bryans family appreciated the fact that Willbros employees took the time, effort and expense to travel to his funeral. So if he was a troublemaker like you say, they must not have thought so, or they would not have gone to the trouble of showing their respect to Bryan and his family. Maybe you have a personal problem with other employees that you work with. What kind of background do you think these men are hiding that would keep them from getting honest work? If Hunter was so harmless and faultless why did he have a gun, and on company property no less! Bryan is dead and if someone has something to say they certainly don’t have to fear his retaliation, they should go to the police instead of spreading rumors. When the facts are gathered it will be decided in the court, so maybe you should stop bad mouthing other people, and just let the cops know what you saw or didn’t see.
a friend of all

Theodore, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Sep 6, 2012
 

Judged:

3

2

2

I know of all of these guys. I have been around each and everyone of them. I have been around them sober and drunk. None of them but Hunter has ever acted crazy while under the influence. Hunter has several different times acted out of line when drinking, to the point that i refused to be around him while he was under the influence. Jake and Brian on the other hand, is two of the best men I know. Never once shown a physical side. Whatever did happen, I hope justice is served. A man lost his life, and left behind a wife and children. Hunter needs to pay for his careless actions. This was not the first time he has gotten in a vechile and drove while under the influence. I have witnessed it myself. Not long before this, he got a DUI back home. I hope all this is taken in to consideration when justice is served.
Speechless

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Sep 13, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

This is the first time I have read the posts on this article. For the person that claims that Bryan was a trouble maker I would love to know how. Bryan was the most giving and caring person I have ever met. How many men had he helped at the campers? From lending a hand to loaning money, which usually was forgotten. Even to allowing worthless people around because he was too nice to say leave.
Hunter if you read this I hope you have enough decency in your heart to feel bad for your actions. You have destoyed two little girls bright futures. Bryan will never know his unborn baby. He was in ND working to make a life for his family. He rarely took off. He worked with a broken ankle and broken wrist to provide for his family. He had so many dreams that will never come true. Because of a stupid senceless act a truly great Man is gone.
I hope you can sleep at night.
Will we ever know

Gillette, WY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Sep 20, 2012
 

Judged:

3

2

1

Knowing the victims of this tragic event; I can say that alcohol was more than likely involved. It is just a tragic stupid mistake! To point out that Hunter had a DUI is completely ignorant; so had Bryan and Jake- what does that have to do with anything? We should not be saying anything when we do not know the facts! Only a few people do and who knows if the whole truth will come out. Yes, Bryan was a great guy and would help anyone out. Many, many people took advantage of him; his own family, friends, and "love". But, Bryan was also not perfect. Those of you that worked with him KNOW that- he and his so called wife fought constantly; the guy could never figure out what of WHO he wanted for that matter. He was simply afraid of loosing his kids; like his first child; so he held onto the loveless relationship with his so called common-law wife. Speechless got it right, it was a senseless act that is all we can TRULY say about what happened. A man who had a good heart, tried to do what was best for all, but was simply confused by life, is gone. His girls will never grow up to know him. It is a true tragedy.
Will we ever know

Gillette, WY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Oct 16, 2012
 
Does anyone know when Hunter goes to trail?
Missing him

Salem, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Dec 13, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

I have been reading these posts since the first ignorant comment was made. I want to thank those of you who are standing up for Bryan. Whether there was a fight or not, what kind of person gets in a truck and runs someone down? Drunk or not? Bryan has children who will never grow up knowing the person I knew. An ignorant little punk killed my baby brother and he still isn't being punished for it. He even had the audacity to plead not guilty...I pray that a jury will see the truth and that justice will prevail. Nobody says Bryan is perfect but everybody that knew him well can tell you something special he did for them...I miss him more than anything. I will never stop standing up for my brother and searching for justice for him.
Happy one

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 16, 2013
 
All charges have been dropped...it's over let it be!:)
Missing him wrote:
I have been reading these posts since the first ignorant comment was made. I want to thank those of you who are standing up for Bryan. Whether there was a fight or not, what kind of person gets in a truck and runs someone down? Drunk or not? Bryan has children who will never grow up knowing the person I knew. An ignorant little punk killed my baby brother and he still isn't being punished for it. He even had the audacity to plead not guilty...I pray that a jury will see the truth and that justice will prevail. Nobody says Bryan is perfect but everybody that knew him well can tell you something special he did for them...I miss him more than anything. I will never stop standing up for my brother and searching for justice for him.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 18 of18
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Otis Orchards Discussions

Search the Otis Orchards Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
WA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Washingto... (Oct '10) Jun 26 Elise Gingrich 708
Police Raid Spokane Area Spas; LIVE Media Brief... (Jul '12) May '14 VeganTiger 18
moving to spokane area from buffalo ny (Sep '06) Feb '14 BiGArny 9
Woman near Newman Lake ? Jan '14 BIGArny 1
Women arrested demanding fair immigration reform (Nov '13) Nov '13 VeganTiger 3
avondre graham (Nov '13) Nov '13 shalamar petry 1
Debate: Iowa GOP Debate - Otis Orchards, WA (Jan '12) Jan '12 TR 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Otis Orchards Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Otis Orchards People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Otis Orchards News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Otis Orchards
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••