Fatal Accident on Rt. 481

There are 14 comments on the Feb 23, 2006, WTVH Syracuse story titled Fatal Accident on Rt. 481. In it, WTVH Syracuse reports that:

Feb 23, 2006 - FULTON, N.Y. - An accident in Oswego County this morning involving a tractor-trailer and a pickup truck has left one person dead.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTVH Syracuse.

Joanna

Syracuse, NY

#1 Feb 25, 2006
Is the police investigation based on the truck driver testimony? Were real witnesses of this crush who witnesses this poor pick up truck unsafely passing the tractor trailer. I am survivor of terrible crush with a tractor trailer cased by negligent truck driver. They removed witnesses and police did not even want to talk to me, even I was very injured. The truck driver and police report stated that I was unsafely changing lanes, which I did not.
Truck drivers are walking away with responsibility when they kill or injure other drivers. Authorities don't care about this.
GF ONEIL DELAND FL

Orlando, FL

#2 Mar 3, 2006
YOU ARE RIGHT !!! THE TRUCKERS ARE NOT ALL OF THEM ARE DRIVING THIER LOADS HOT AND HEAVY ON THE NATIONS ROADS !!! AND THEY ARE GETTING AWAY WITH MURDER !!!! THEY GET PAID FOR EACH LOAD THEY CARRY TO THIER DESTINATION !!! SO THEY MOVE AS QUICK AS THEY CAN !!! SOMETIMES RIDING RIGHT UP ON PEOPLES BUMPERS !!! AT THE SPEED LIMIT AND MORE !!! THIS IS NOT GOING TO STOP !!! THEY KNOW THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH IT SO THEY KEEP IT UP!!! IF THEY OBSERVE THE SPEED LIMITS AND THE WEATHER IN WHICH THEY DRIVE MAYBE THE FREE FOR ALL WILL SLOW DOWN A LITTLE !!! SO ANY ONE DRIVING WITH A BIG TRUCK BEHIND YOU BEWARE !!! GET OUT OF THIER WAY !!! THEY ARE RUTHLESS !!! NOT ALL TRUCKERS ARE LIKE THAT BUT THERE IS A LARGE MAJORITY OF THEM !!! THANK YOU JOANNA FOR YOUR DISCUSSION START UP !!!
EVERY ONE BE SAFE AND GOD BLESS !!!
"GFO" DELAND FLORIDA
your momma

Ojai, CA

#3 Jan 21, 2007
you are retarded

“Just an Old Goat”

Since: Feb 07

United States

#4 Feb 16, 2007
We can't label all truck drivers as evil just because some do bad things. There are many bad drivers on the road, but, not all truck drivers are bad. When cars collide with trucks it is no wonder that people are killed, the trucks are much larger and heavier. With this in mind it is best to avoid close contact with trucks and exercise greater caution when driving with them.
just sayin

Pomaria, SC

#5 Aug 20, 2012
You oughta be ashamed.... have some respect for truck drivers... if people that drove cars paid more attention.. we wouldn't have all this bull... good grief watch out the trucks are huge how can you not miss them.... and hey jack ... regardless of what you think... Truckers have a schedule... it's called a job idiot.... it doesn't mean they're barreling down the freaking interstate... with no regard for anyone else on the road... have some respect for those truck drivers.... if it wasn't for them you wouldn't be writing this right now... where the hell do you think you got your means of internet connection from.... hello dumbass a trucker brought it to you.... if you don't like the way that the truckers have to do their job then stay the hell away from them... actually they prefer it that way... sorry about the person that had the accident... But you people that think you know it all about truck drivers get educated idiots... look on youtube 30 mile an hour crash with the big truck and a 4 wheeler... hello not a pretty sight... they cannot stop on a dime... so you people in your cars quit messing with them.... Good grief... they cannot motivate like a car can ... they clearly stated on the trailer stay outta my blind side... what do you think that means????? It's perfectly simple ... don't run straight beside them .... give them the curtesy that they deserve... thank you...
truckers rule

Pineville, SC

#7 Aug 22, 2012
GF ONEIL DELAND FL wrote:
YOU ARE RIGHT !!! THE TRUCKERS ARE NOT ALL OF THEM ARE DRIVING THIER LOADS HOT AND HEAVY ON THE NATIONS ROADS !!! AND THEY ARE GETTING AWAY WITH MURDER !!!! THEY GET PAID FOR EACH LOAD THEY CARRY TO THIER DESTINATION !!! SO THEY MOVE AS QUICK AS THEY CAN !!! SOMETIMES RIDING RIGHT UP ON PEOPLES BUMPERS !!! AT THE SPEED LIMIT AND MORE !!! THIS IS NOT GOING TO STOP !!! THEY KNOW THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH IT SO THEY KEEP IT UP!!! IF THEY OBSERVE THE SPEED LIMITS AND THE WEATHER IN WHICH THEY DRIVE MAYBE THE FREE FOR ALL WILL SLOW DOWN A LITTLE !!! SO ANY ONE DRIVING WITH A BIG TRUCK BEHIND YOU BEWARE !!! GET OUT OF THIER WAY !!! THEY ARE RUTHLESS !!! NOT ALL TRUCKERS ARE LIKE THAT BUT THERE IS A LARGE MAJORITY OF THEM !!! THANK YOU JOANNA FOR YOUR DISCUSSION START UP !!!
EVERY ONE BE SAFE AND GOD BLESS !!!
"GFO" DELAND FLORIDA
are you totally ignorant to the facts???? When a car lags around and a semi comes up behind it doing the speed limit and that same car is still lollygagging don't you know how hard that is for that truck to have to shift back down and risk getting rear ended possibly??? It takes an awful lot for that truck to get back up to speed. he risks getting slammed into by other bigtrucks or cars hitting his dot bumper.
At the speed of 30mph..if a big truck hit someone from a car poking along and putting everyone on the highway at risk..that is enough impact to shove the Damn trunk up around their faces. good grief ..get an education on just exactly what its like to have to handle all the responsibilities of a truck driver. 9 out of 10 could not do it. A semi is nothing to mess with. You were correct about one thing....JUST GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY. Im sure any truck driver would agree with me. They don't like all the bull that goes with car drivers.
hank hill

Mount Morris, MI

#8 Aug 23, 2012
just sayin wrote:
You oughta be ashamed.... have some respect for truck drivers... if people that drove cars paid more attention.. we wouldn't have all this bull... good grief watch out the trucks are huge how can you not miss them.... and hey jack ... regardless of what you think... Truckers have a schedule... it's called a job idiot.... it doesn't mean they're barreling down the freaking interstate... with no regard for anyone else on the road... have some respect for those truck drivers.... if it wasn't for them you wouldn't be writing this right now... where the hell do you think you got your means of internet connection from.... hello dumbass a trucker brought it to you.... if you don't like the way that the truckers have to do their job then stay the hell away from them... actually they prefer it that way... sorry about the person that had the accident... But you people that think you know it all about truck drivers get educated idiots... look on youtube 30 mile an hour crash with the big truck and a 4 wheeler... hello not a pretty sight... they cannot stop on a dime... so you people in your cars quit messing with them.... Good grief... they cannot motivate like a car can ... they clearly stated on the trailer stay outta my blind side... what do you think that means????? It's perfectly simple ... don't run straight beside them .... give them the curtesy that they deserve... thank you...
I think I love you!
hank hill

Mount Morris, MI

#9 Aug 23, 2012
truckers rule wrote:
<quoted text>
are you totally ignorant to the facts???? When a car lags around and a semi comes up behind it doing the speed limit and that same car is still lollygagging don't you know how hard that is for that truck to have to shift back down and risk getting rear ended possibly??? It takes an awful lot for that truck to get back up to speed. he risks getting slammed into by other bigtrucks or cars hitting his dot bumper.
At the speed of 30mph..if a big truck hit someone from a car poking along and putting everyone on the highway at risk..that is enough impact to shove the Damn trunk up around their faces. good grief ..get an education on just exactly what its like to have to handle all the responsibilities of a truck driver. 9 out of 10 could not do it. A semi is nothing to mess with. You were correct about one thing....JUST GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY. Im sure any truck driver would agree with me. They don't like all the bull that goes with car drivers.
And you!! I think I love you too!
truckers rule

Black Mountain, NC

#10 Aug 23, 2012
& just sayin are two women all rolled up in one... Thanks Hank Hill ......I am but one person...my name was still on there from my bros post. Did not change it the first time.....Thank you though..I feel strongly about what I wrote..I admire truckers for all that they do. Greatest admiration for my trucker. Thanks again..
hank hill

Mount Morris, MI

#11 Aug 23, 2012
truckers rule wrote:
& just sayin are two women all rolled up in one... Thanks Hank Hill ......I am but one person...my name was still on there from my bros post. Did not change it the first time.....Thank you though..I feel strongly about what I wrote..I admire truckers for all that they do. Greatest admiration for my trucker. Thanks again..
I drive truck, so I appreciate it.
truckers rule

Black Mountain, NC

#12 Aug 23, 2012
Awesome ...Hey Hank...then you are amazing too. ;)
nice

Camden, NY

#13 Sep 8, 2012
I drove 5 ton when I was in the US Army. In "civilian language" that is a semi. Three range 15 was my monster and it is just that. When you see tractor/trailer combos on the road just think huge, mean, fire breathing dragon. That's what they are. They are beasts, and they will treat you like one. And NO I do NOT mean the DRIVER! The drivers are what CONTROL those monsters, and trust me that control is TENUOUS at BEST and damn near nonexistent when you have fools in traffic around you. Here are a few pointers on surviving your battle with the beast:

1. STAY OUT OF THEIR BLIND SPOT!!!!!

2. If you find that you MUST pass a semi, pass it QUICKLY! When you first change lanes to pass, flash your headlights a few times, this may help the driver notice that you are near them and intending to pass so they will be less likely to switch in to your lane until they see that you are completely around them!

3. Did I mention - STAY OUT OF THEIR BLIND SPOT!!!!!

4. When a Semi is passing YOU ... wait until they are COMPLETELY clear of you by at least 25 feet, then flash your headlights on and off a few times ... this helps them to see that THEY are now clear of YOU and can safely get back in the right lane!

6. If you absolutely MUST drive beside a semi for ANY reason for longer than a few MOMENTS, flash your headlights a few times and beep your horn a couple of times. This helps them to notice that you are beside them. You really shouldn't ever HAVE to drive beside one unless perhaps you are sidling up to get to your exit or to go over to another lane.

7. By all means do NOT tailgate them! Don't listen to your old-school (or new-school) buddies telling you that you can "draft" off them like a NASCAR pro to save gas. If they hit the Jake, you are dead ... d.e.a.d. DEAD.

8. If you are going under the speed limit and they get up on your back side and you SEE them coming, speed the hell up to the speed limit until they can safely pass you or slow down. It will NOT kill you to do the speed limit, TRUST ME. But it WILL kill you if they come over a rise and can't slow down in time by the time they see you.

A QUICK NOTE: Speaking of speed limits, there are many people out there who are convinced that doing five or ten miles an hour UNDER the speed limit is safer. Guess what... you are dead wrong. And you may just literally end up dead as a result of it.
I'm an ex-cop. I used to get monthly circulars showing statistics and studies related to my job.
Here is a little known fact outside the police community:
The national highway safety administration did a study about twenty years ago. This study showed that higher speed limits are NOT what is causing accidents on the highways of America!

No, really, it is true! The highest cause of SPEED related (so don't start going on about what causes the highest rate of accidents, I'm talking only about accidents where SPEED was the major factor) accidents is DISPARITY of speed.

What this means is simple: The biggest reason that speed kills is when you have two or more vehicles on the highway traveling at highly varied speeds. For example, CAR A: is driven by grandpa with his grandkids in the car. They are driving home for Thanksgiving dinner. He is being safety conscious and doing 40 in a 55 because he wants to get the grandchildren home safely! Now, CAR B comes along behind grandpa on a hilly road, doing 60 in a 55. This car is being driven by Aunt Jane who is ALSO going to grandpa's to help make dinner!

Unfortunately, Jane tops a hill, and before she even has time to react she slams into the back of Grandpa's car, which results in a tragic accident, costing the life of three of the five occupants of the two vehicles. If grandpa had been doing the speed limit, it is more likely Jane would have had time to react and slow down. You'll see articles saying higher speed limits kill, but what they mean is that due to people who will refuse to go faster it increases the variance. Check it out.
nice

Camden, NY

#14 Sep 8, 2012
And, by the way, my condolences to the family and friends of those who died in the accident that was being discussed.
nice

Camden, NY

#15 Sep 8, 2012
Also notice that tip number 5 does not exist. It basically said the same thing as tip 1 and tip 3. I deleted it and forgot to renumber.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oswego Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Senate in New York... (Oct '10) Apr 6 Long Darby 9
News Watchtower's growth strains town budgets in mid... Mar 31 Remnant 134999 67
Whoosa Mar '15 Hmmm 1
Taco Bell and county standards. (Nov '12) Mar '15 frank 9
ken skinner Feb '15 guess whoo 1
Nude places Feb '15 CrazyWVaGal 2
News Authorities: Fulton couple arrested for leaving... Feb '15 UserAuburn 3
More from around the web

Oswego People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]