Watchdog: AEP owes customers $156M

American Electric Power has made excessive profit and owes central Ohio customers a refund of up to $156 million, according to a new analysis by the state's advocate for utility customers. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bewildered

Newark, OH

#21 Oct 14, 2010
Sterling Silver wrote:
<quoted text>
So you must not be an AEP customer, because that was impossible.
In fact I am an AEP customer. I, too, would have found it impossible had I not seen and paid the bills myself.

I am not alone in this; my sister who is also an AEP customer saw her electric bills double this year as well, and she was one of the beneficiaries of the government home insulation program!
My Opinion

Columbus, OH

#22 Oct 14, 2010
AEP can suck it!!!!!!!! They are a bunch of crooks. PUCO can suck it too. They are a bunch of crooks that do nothing, but side w/ AEP and any other company to screw the public. AEP, I wish there was another company to choose because your days would be numbered and you'd be out of business. You blood sucking ticks.
Educate yourself

Londonderry, OH

#23 Oct 14, 2010
What this article fails to address is that not all of the profits were from central Ohio customers. Columbus Southern Power (CSP) is one of two AEP subsidiary companies operating in the state of Ohio. CSP operates in central Ohio and houses the corporate headquarters for AEP.

In fact, a large portion of the “excessive profits” claimed by the watchdog group includes off-system sales: excess electricity generated by Columbus Southern and sold to non-Columbus Southern customers.

Put your pitch forks away and read up on a topic before you post next time.
AnotherClosetMar xist

Londonderry, OH

#24 Oct 14, 2010
I want my power for free. Like in Cuba!

Only the Government can guarantee me my unlimited free power! Like in Cuba!

Put all profit seeking pigs against the wall. Like in Cuba!

AEP's employee's should all work for free, that's what is best for the People!
(I guess that goes for the Coal miners who dug the coal and the truckers who brought it to the power plants, too.)
GahannaMom

Columbus, OH

#25 Oct 14, 2010
I am not an employee of AEP either and I know from people who live in other states and researching it myself that AEP customers in Ohio pay far less rates that do when they are supplied by other companies. I know the rates are high but they could be even more so.
fed up

United States

#26 Oct 14, 2010
Don't let them start you on that smart grid crap and put in that digital meter. They did that to me last year and my electric doubled from what it was last summer.
Educate yourself

Londonderry, OH

#27 Oct 14, 2010
fed up wrote:
Don't let them start you on that smart grid crap and put in that digital meter. They did that to me last year and my electric doubled from what it was last summer.
With the smart grid "crap," you are billed on actual use when you use it; rather than based on trend-analysis billing spanned over the year. While your summer bill may be higher, you should be billed less in the months you are not using your AC. Be patient…
Jakey

Columbus, OH

#28 Oct 14, 2010
the truth is a whackjob wrote:
<quoted text>
First, I am not an AEP employee. I am not connected to the company.
However, I would like to point out that AEP has some of the CHEAPEST power rates in the country. Go to Florida, California, and New York. Your electric bills are nothing compared to what you would pay in those states.
If you are waiting for AEP to refund the amount, keep waiting. Even if they did cut you a check, you would get maybe $1.52. AEP had $20 billion in revenues last year. The $150 million is a pimple. Most of that came from major power users, such as companies. Take your $150 electric bill, multiply it by $150m/$20b. It actually comes to $1.12. Dont spend it all in one place.
I am not against AEP as I am against the Governor's position against AEP's customers being able to shop in an open market. AEP wanted that to happen but the Governor wanted to protect people from the market and keep them in a regulated rate.

Now TED is bragging about stable rates that are much higher than the market rates.
kilroys nightmare

Columbus, OH

#29 Oct 14, 2010
Educate yourself wrote:
<quoted text>
With the smart grid "crap," you are billed on actual use when you use it; rather than based on trend-analysis billing spanned over the year. While your summer bill may be higher, you should be billed less in the months you are not using your AC. Be patient…
Maybe I like running the Ac in the summer? Why should my bill double over last summer when I ran the AC?
Milhouse

Columbus, OH

#30 Oct 14, 2010
fed up wrote:
My July 2009 electric bill from AEP rang up at 7.2 cents per kwh.
My July 2010 electric bill from AEP rang up at 7.1 cents per kwh.

So, I don't know what happened to your bill. You should inventory your usage. Maybe you have a fridge that's getting old. Did you buy a new big-screen TV? Are you running the AC more?
anonymous

United States

#31 Oct 14, 2010
kilroys nightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe I like running the Ac in the summer? Why should my bill double over last summer when I ran the AC?
Because you used more electricity. It's not rocket science
sammy

Akron, OH

#32 Oct 14, 2010
Bewildered wrote:
All I know is, my electricity bill doubled this year and my usage did not increase!
Amen I live like a fing pauper with no lights on just the fridge and a tv and my bill is insane. They are the devil, worse than the cable company. It isn't just central ohio either they are b@st@rds.
Just the Facts

Columbus, OH

#33 Oct 14, 2010
So this explains why AEP were so indignant about the Ohio Chamber of Commerce endorsing Kasich for Governor.

AEP is up to their ions in Strickland Corruption extremes...

Go Figure.

Vote Kasich.
Lets Clean up Ohio Corruption and get Back to Work.
descrite16

United States

#34 Oct 14, 2010
Robin da Hood wrote:
AEP makes a statement by pulling their name from the chamber of commerce - yet it is okay for them to zap everyone by over charging for a product that everyone depends on. Looks like and smells like B.O. tactics.
It would have been a great P.R. move if AEP would have been pro-active and said hey world here is a refund for all the over charges we pocketed when storms knocked out your power - for weeks during the middle of winter - LOL!
No wonder seniors use candles!
If you hade no electricity you were charged NOTHING, not overcharged. Get a clue.
descrite16

United States

#35 Oct 14, 2010
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you used more electricity. It's not rocket science
maybe it was hotter! dudh
Mike

Columbus, OH

#36 Oct 14, 2010
How else are they going to give their under-performing executives bonuses? Of course they are going to have to lay off more rank & file employees to help pay any refund (doubtful) that they might actually provide.

Poor Michael Morris & Brian Tierney might have to sell their 3rd or 4th mansions if they don't get their full guaranteed bonuses

“American gvt is in the bag”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#37 Oct 15, 2010
sammy wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen I live like a fing pauper with no lights on just the fridge and a tv and my bill is insane. They are the devil, worse than the cable company. It isn't just central ohio either they are b@st@rds.
Sammy, if you live in Cleveland, as your post says, you don't get AEP. You probably have First Energy.
Sterling Silver

Grove City, OH

#38 Oct 15, 2010
Bewildered wrote:
<quoted text>
In fact I am an AEP customer. I, too, would have found it impossible had I not seen and paid the bills myself.
I am not alone in this; my sister who is also an AEP customer saw her electric bills double this year as well, and she was one of the beneficiaries of the government home insulation program!
Nowhere in their service territory did AEP secure a doubling of rates. That is the only way, with the same usage, that your bill could have doubled. In Ohio the rates went up 7-7.5%. Unless you went from residential to commercial or something similar. If that's not the case I suggest you go to church and beg forgiveness for lying.
Sterling Silver

Grove City, OH

#39 Oct 15, 2010
Jakey wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not against AEP as I am against the Governor's position against AEP's customers being able to shop in an open market. AEP wanted that to happen but the Governor wanted to protect people from the market and keep them in a regulated rate.
Now TED is bragging about stable rates that are much higher than the market rates.
You are completely wrong. AEP's territory WAS opened up for competition. Several companies expressed interest in offering customers a choice...until they saw what AEP charged per unit. Then all the companies left because they could not serve that low. Those are the facts. The state government had nothing to do with it, in fact they did all they could to encourage competition, but no one could beat AEP. You people who complain about AEP's rates have no idea what you would pay in other parts of the country: A LOT MORE!
Jakey

Columbus, OH

#40 Oct 18, 2010
Sterling Silver wrote:
<quoted text>
You are completely wrong. AEP's territory WAS opened up for competition. Several companies expressed interest in offering customers a choice...until they saw what AEP charged per unit. Then all the companies left because they could not serve that low. Those are the facts. The state government had nothing to do with it, in fact they did all they could to encourage competition, but no one could beat AEP. You people who complain about AEP's rates have no idea what you would pay in other parts of the country: A LOT MORE!
The FACT is that AEP wanted to expose their customers to a rate based on an auction price and the Administration stopped it. Guess where there are the lowest rates in the State of Ohio....In the north where the rate was established in an auction. Fact.

Nice Job Ted.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ostrander Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roger Lewis- Richmark Gutter Company, Ostrander... 10 min Gotcha 1
Ohio community recovers time capsule lost aftera 15 hr eueio 3
Marysville: Trespassers trigger fire alarm at h... 21 hr ryanAXLEROD 1
Can Marion be Delaware? (Jul '12) 21 hr Pleasant Twp 31
Joy ride at Marysville Airport 21 hr ryanAXLEROD 3
Theft Suspects Possibly Holding Hostage Inside ... 21 hr rodeTOAD 2
Richmark Gutter Company- Ostrander Ohio - BEWAR... (Mar '14) 23 hr Gotcha 5

Winter Storm Watch for Delaware County was issued at January 31 at 4:10AM EST

Ostrander Dating
Find my Match