Posted in the Ostrander Forum

Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Nov 5, 2013
Cuckoo for Coco Puffs

Garrison, KY

#1 Nov 4, 2013
Delaware Gazette - May 24

City councilwoman asked to step down

Cit­ing a vio­la­tion of the city of Delaware’s char­ter, Delaware City Coun­cil has asked coun­cil­woman Car­olyn Rig­gle to quit her seat, the Gazette has learned.

City attor­ney Dan Ben­ning­ton con­tacted Rig­gle Wednes­day to ask that she resign from her at-large seat on coun­cil, Rig­gle said.

City offi­cials are ask­ing Rig­gle to resign because she gave orders to a city employee, which is pro­hib­ited in sec­tion 52 of Delaware’s char­ter. Specif­i­cally, Rig­gle asked a pub­lic util­i­ties employee to turn on the water at a constituent’s house.

The res­i­dents’ water had been turned off due to late pay­ment. The pay­ment was even­tu­ally made. How­ever, because the pay­ment was received after 4 p.m. the city did not restore the water that same day, per a city pol­icy that allows util­i­ties to be restored the fol­low­ing day when pay­ment is received after 4 p.m.

Rig­gle said the city res­i­dent called her on May 17 and asked for her help in get­ting their water turned back on. She said she intends to fight the res­ig­na­tion request and has hired an attorney.

“I’m not resign­ing,” Rig­gle said.“My job on city coun­cil is to serve con­stituents and the com­mu­nity. That’s what I did and what I’ve always done. If some­one said,‘Don’t do this,’ I would have dropped it.”

“If that’s the pol­icy, then some­one should have told me,” Rig­gle con­tin­ued.“I know no one wants to tell a coun­cil mem­ber,‘No,’ but it could’ve been han­dled. There’s a way they can talk to us.”

City coun­cil met in exec­u­tive ses­sion Mon­day to dis­cuss the issue. City char­ter states that coun­cil has the “power and it shall be its duty” to declare the seat vacant if any mem­ber is found to have vio­lated the city charter.

The Gazette con­tacted sev­eral coun­cil mem­bers for this story. Each declined to com­ment. City offi­cials also declined to say when coun­cil is next expected to meet on the topic.

Rig­gle said she ini­tially called city man­ager Tom Homan and asked him to have the water turned back on. She said Homan advised that he couldn’t help.

Accord­ing to Rig­gle, she then called the city’s pub­lic works direc­tor Tim Brown­ing, who told her that he wasn’t respon­si­ble for water shut offs. She then attempted to con­tact an employee in the pub­lic util­i­ties depart­ment, she said. When Rig­gle couldn’t reach that employee by phone, she drove over to their res­i­dence, she said.

Rig­gle said she “asked the employee for a favor” and then inquired as to whether they would turn the water back on. That employee called Rig­gle the same night to let her know that the water had been restored.

Rig­gle said she was sur­prised to learn she may have vio­lated the city rules.

“I’m just flab­ber­gasted about the whole thing,” Rig­gle said.“I felt like this was no prob­lem. One good deed never goes unpun­ished.… I’m so sorry all this hap­pened. I just feel horrible.”
Dan Bennington

Garrison, KY

#2 Nov 4, 2013
Riggle's seat should have been vacated by Council since Riggle did not have the decency and honor to resign.
no way

Powell, OH

#3 Nov 4, 2013
No Dan Bennington I know resides in Cambridge OH (see above address)but the treasurer of the Three Stooges campaign does. What a coincidence!!
Cuckoo for Coco Puffs

Delaware, OH

#4 Nov 4, 2013
Oh my!
The Original Coco Puffs

Garrison, KY

#5 Nov 5, 2013
The other at-large incumbents had the good sense not to be mixed up with this mess. Riggle brought down all three of them.
Original Cuckoo Puffs

Delaware, OH

#6 Nov 5, 2013
The city attorney told her she needed to resign and she said "no"? Wow. That is audacious.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#7 Nov 5, 2013
umm you do realize Bennington retired two years ago.....right? Idiots...
Charlotte Joseph

Delaware, OH

#8 Nov 5, 2013
Almost time!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ostrander Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 50 min xxxrayted 30,534
Cat fight Fri HSM 21
New Library Director Fri Simone 19
No Charges For Farm Owner in Cow Beating Video (Jul '10) Aug 28 honesty2010 13
matt chrispin affair (Apr '13) Aug 26 No Conscience 23
Eric Mills ia a career criminal (May '10) Aug 26 MYOHIO 172
Elaine Eddy and Wade Lucas Aug 24 Watch dog 3
•••
•••
•••

Ostrander Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000