Wal-Mart delights Deltona

Wal-Mart delights Deltona

There are 53 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Mar 15, 2007, titled Wal-Mart delights Deltona. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Civilization arrived Wednesday morning in the form of discount Barbie dolls, bath towels, radiator coolant and tube socks.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Capitalist 1

AOL

#1 Mar 15, 2007
Congrats to WMT. Glad to see your success and service to the public. The Union Scum that oppose Wal-Mart will choke on this article.
Slacker

Sanford, FL

#2 Mar 15, 2007
41 acres of cow pasture or a Super Wal-Mart? The County tree-huggers have impeded any economic progress around Deltona for too long. The Deltona citizens need to get rid of the County Growth Manager, she's more interested in scrub jay habitat than improving PEOPLES habitat. Go Wal-Mart, more commercial development for Deltona helps HUMANS! Improving the environment thru shorter commutes, thanks Wal-Mart! 85K citizens lives are now improved in spite of the Countys Growth(Micro)Manager!
UCFGRAD

Orlando, FL

#3 Mar 15, 2007
Hopefully we'll get to see a follow-up article soon on how much damage Hell-Mart has done to Osteen and Deltona. The roads can't handle the existing traffic, let alone the added burden of a big box retailer. Personally, I will avoid it like the plague and spend my consumer dollars with local merchants whenever possible. In my opinion, Wal-Mart is not a good corporate neighbor, and I'd much rather drive to Orange City or Sanford than shop at their stores.
mike from New York

Cedar Key, FL

#5 Mar 15, 2007
Ms Prudie. If you stay away from Walmart the weight average will go down and the IQ average will go up. Shop elsewhere(and take a shower more often)
DMC

Denver, CO

#6 Mar 15, 2007
Perhaps now the Orange City Wal-Mart (where I shop) won't be so busy with the new store opening.
Gadfly

Deltona, FL

#7 Mar 15, 2007
Score 1 for the people!
Rodney Breen

Orlando, FL

#8 Mar 15, 2007
I got a good laugh over the idea of people actually being excited over a Walmart! Deltona must be a really gross place if this is considered "good news" over there.
almost

Orlando, FL

#9 Mar 15, 2007
I gagged and almost vomited after reading this.
Constance Yealdhall CCRN

AOL

#10 Mar 15, 2007
I visited the new Deltona store on opening day; I was NOT impressed. While I love shopping in Walmart (Orange City) , I have a problem with Walmart's decision to delete their fabric department. We have been campaigniing for several months to keep the fabric department and the in-your-face reply (new store - NO FABRIC department) can be considered corporate Walmart's reply. Sad to say, the day I cannot buy fabric in Orange City's Walmart is the day I shop at their competitor for groceries and travel over the river (St. John's) to spend my money at Joann's Fabrics.
Larry

Boston, MA

#11 Mar 15, 2007
It's certainly a new day. But are we truly weighing and counting the costs. I often drive that road during my commute. Just the other week I was saddened to see a dead deer on the SR 415 side of the store as I turned towards Osteen. It served as quite a juxtaposition. People are happy and giddy that they can now shop until the drop closer to home. I'm just wondering if this roadkill was more of a harbinger of things to come than many of us can foresee.
fed up

Apopka, FL

#12 Mar 15, 2007
thank you osteen wal-mart. Now maybe the orange city wal-mart won't feel like a zoo on saturday mornings.
James

Florala, AL

#13 Mar 15, 2007
Wal-Mart been screwing people for years but now it's going down hill fast another ten years and people will wonder what use to be in those buildings.
Deltona Resident

San Antonio, TX

#14 Mar 15, 2007
There is absolutely nothing of redeeming value in all that land over there. A bunch of dead sand pines and scrub. The people are already here. If the city and county were so concerned with development then they wouldn't have approved so much home building. Commercial development is coming and I welcome it.

I don't think Deltona is a gross place at all. There are PLENTY of places in Central Florida more ripe for that title. In fact, I think Deltona has a lot of unused potential. We don't have the roads, but the people who live here already need them. We don't have all the community support structures needed in a city this large, but we need it to happen. I hope the Walmart starts that change.

I hope the Walmart spurs more economic and commercial development. We need it. Volusia is no longer *completely* backwater and hillbilly. The people in charge need to see that and take initiative to grow this city into a vibrant, desirable place. It's one of the last affordable, decent places in CF.
Deltona Resident

San Antonio, TX

#15 Mar 15, 2007
Rodney Breen wrote:
I got a good laugh over the idea of people actually being excited over a Walmart! Deltona must be a really gross place if this is considered "good news" over there.
Well, I suppose it's not at all as classy as having streets lined with overpriced boutiques filled with useless trinkets, huh? Do you really live in Winter Park or is that just your ISP? I can see why you'd have such a pompous and pretentious attitude if you live in Winter Park. It must cost soooo much because it's better quality right? I would keep telling myself that if I were you. It might make that mortgage payment go down easier.
Tyrone Shoelaces

AOL

#16 Mar 15, 2007
My prayers have been answered another Commie outlet store placing its embassy in Deltona. All the serfs will have a place to spend the few rubles or kopecks that they earn working at other satellite stores or on gov't dole. The fabric dept. was dumped in favor of expanding the auto parts section. Now, all the villagers of Deltona will be able to purchase pom poms in assorted colors when they buy the fancy wheels, hubcaps and boom box equipment. When you visit the gov't store say hi to Ortega the hunchback one-eyed greeter that speaks 32 different languages with the exception of English, which he considers the devil capitalist tongue, refusing to utter any words as not to offend his homeland.Viva Wallyworld!
Dixie Septic Tank

AOL

#17 Mar 15, 2007
DeltonaVotes

United States

#18 Mar 16, 2007
When Walmart starts to label their merchandise by which region of communist China their items from questionable labor sources then I will return. Until then I am keeping my money and soul away. Imagine buying a Christmas present in Jesus' name that was made by forced child labor. What would Jesus do? Probably not support Walmart, think it's patriotic and good for your soul.
www.deltonavotes.org
UCFGRAD

Orlando, FL

#19 Mar 16, 2007
Slacker wrote:
41 acres of cow pasture or a Super Wal-Mart? The County tree-huggers have impeded any economic progress around Deltona for too long. The Deltona citizens need to get rid of the County Growth Manager, she's more interested in scrub jay habitat than improving PEOPLES habitat. Go Wal-Mart, more commercial development for Deltona helps HUMANS! Improving the environment thru shorter commutes, thanks Wal-Mart! 85K citizens lives are now improved in spite of the Countys Growth(Micro)Manager!
I've never seen a Wal-Mart improve people's habitat. Wal-Mart's predatory pricing policies force companies to move manufacturing to third-world countries, which means jobs leave America. Their low paying jobs don't spark much economic activity in the areas where they open stores. My life, in fact, has been negatively impacted by Wal-Mart's opening, as it adds time to my commute. Not all 85,000 of us Deltona residents are happy to have it.
Jennifer

United States

#20 Mar 18, 2007
Even though the new Walmart is 8 miles from my house and the Orange City one is only 3 miles I will drive to the new one just because it is so much nicer cleaner and has many more parking spaces!
Bagger Thomas

Orlando, FL

#21 Mar 18, 2007
Jennifer wrote:
Even though the new Walmart is 8 miles from my house and the Orange City one is only 3 miles I will drive to the new one just because it is so much nicer cleaner and has many more parking spaces!
Thank you for doing your part to emit more carbon greenhouse gases, increase air pollution, make traffic/congestion worse, use up non-renewable energy resources, increase fuel costs, provide financial support to terrorist sponsor states, support child and prison labor camps, add to urban sprawl, provide financial support to a Commnist dictatoship, and move US manufacturing jobs to China.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Osteen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Marijuana - Deltona, FL (Aug '10) 7 hr jah 23
News Ted Nugent Blasts Stevie Wonder's 'Brain-Dead' ... (Jul '13) 14 hr reeldeel 13
All us blacks should go back to Africa (Jul '13) Mon Ryan Osborn 238
News George Zimmerman shot, injured in shooting inci... May 31 Advice 3
News High Quality Oral Surgery from Orange City Surg... (Jan '14) May 30 KsJohn 4
Who is deep creek reserve LLC?? (Nov '14) Nov '14 Old timer 1
Who is stealing copper wire from vacent homes ? (Aug '14) Aug '14 gone blind 2
More from around the web

Osteen People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]