Boy, 12, killed crossing S.R. 44 at n...

Boy, 12, killed crossing S.R. 44 at night -- OrlandoSentinel.com

There are 11 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Sep 3, 2007, titled Boy, 12, killed crossing S.R. 44 at night -- OrlandoSentinel.com. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

A 12-year-old boy crossing the road to get to New Smyrna Speedway on Saturday night was struck by a car and killed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Leonard

Apopka, FL

#1 Sep 3, 2007
SR 44 has claimed yet another life. I always hated driving that road. Yea sure they have improved it in the most recent years,but still very dangerous. So sorry for the family.
Nameless

Melbourne, FL

#2 Sep 3, 2007
44 is indeed a road that you should not be crossing on foot, especially at night. However, right at that intersection you have a pretty good view of cars coming both ways.

What a terrible tragedy.
robin

Ukraine

#6 Sep 3, 2007
My condolences to the family. My question is why were they crossing at an unlit area? The State needs to put in street lights along all main roads to prevent such accidents! Drviers need to slow down on darken streets and be more aware of everything around them!

Since: Jun 07

New Smyrna Beach

#7 Sep 3, 2007
It has been years since I went to a race at the speedway. Do a lot of pedestrians cross during races? Is there enough parking at the track? Maybe the county (or the speedway) should provide for traffic control during events. My condolences to the family.
OK Now

Palm Coast, FL

#8 Sep 3, 2007
matt wrote:
How about banning stupid children that fail to look both ways to make sure the coast is clear before crossing the road.
So we are going to judge a 12yo child (who you probably don't know)as "being too stupid" to look both ways to cross the street? Ok I hope you're just being sarcastic with that remark. I highly doubt that kid was stupid. Accidents happen. I am sure the guy who hit the little boy didn't mean to hit him. He has to live with that for the rest of his life. And the little boy's mom and dad have to live with the fact their 12yo son didn't come home with them that night, and never will again.
RaceFan

Kissimmee, FL

#9 Sep 3, 2007
Why were they at New Smyrna Speedway? I was there earlier in the day and they rained out.
ceaton64

Carrollton, TX

#11 Sep 4, 2007
robin wrote:
My condolences to the family. My question is why were they crossing at an unlit area? The State needs to put in street lights along all main roads to prevent such accidents! Drviers need to slow down on darken streets and be more aware of everything around them!
It is not the responsibility of the state to make sure that every road in the state is lit. It is the responsibility of adults to keep children and themselves out of dangerous situations.

It is such a tragedy that this little boy lost his life..as a parent I cannot imagine their pain. I also feel terrible for the driver, who was going about his business and now has this on his head. I drove right by that accident on my way to Smyrna on Saturday and it could just as easily have been me.
War Yall

Grosse Pointe, MI

#12 Sep 4, 2007
They were crossing the street to get candy and drinks at the gas station. I wasn't at the speedway but I can imagine, just like every other sporting event, prices were outrageous. I, too, would be willing to walk a couple hundred yards for more and cheaper food. As far as lighting goes, the state simply needs to install a crossing light, which was absent and in my opinion is the cause of the accident.
Cristina

Warner Robins, GA

#13 Sep 6, 2007
As a relative, I have to correct the story. Justin was 7 years old.
So very sorry

Durham, NC

#14 Sep 6, 2007
Cristina wrote:
As a relative, I have to correct the story. Justin was 7 years old.
Regardless of his age, I am terribly sorry for your loss. It is never easy to lose someone, especially a child.

What a heavy burden to bear. ;-(
NO NAME

AOL

#15 Sep 7, 2007
I personally know the driver and his family. This has been devastating even though the driver did nothing whatsoever to contribute to this incredible tragedy. Driving the speed limit, obeying laws, free from drugs or alcohol, and a caring loving, giving man I am certain appreciates the comments that also hold him clear of having done something wrong. To the family, it is with the utmost sympathy and recognition that there is no way to understand what they are going through. I do believe Justin presently is pure positive energy where he is, and is embraced by light we will not know until we do. I wish love, energy, and comfort to all involved as well as all who read and expressed well meaning comments. I do hope something will happen to create a safer, better lit area as it seems that has been dangerous in the past and will continue if nothing is done. Thank You.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Osteen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 18 men arrested in sex sting at Volusia County ... 7 hr BullyTamer 6
News Michael Rudisill, Sanford attorney, appointed j... (Jun '09) Aug 15 Mapgar38 32
White people are devils! Aug 8 KillerIsMyCat 10
News Seminole County to lay off at least 60 (May '09) Aug 8 American Hero 259
Heroin (May '13) Aug 1 Stacy Panzella 87
more black on white crime! (Aug '13) Jul 27 minddestroyed 114
Do you dress your pets? Jul 24 Ron 2

Osteen Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Osteen Mortgages