Auckland, New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2013

Judged:

Before you go on line subscribe to didtheyreadit.com it tells you when anything you send is opened & read & most importantly where it is read. eg Ghana.
If you do go online set up a new email account not using your name just for online dating use.
I admit to being naive & having been scammed.
As for meeting men other ways. Well I'm naturally a friendly chatty person.. I go to the gym, church, work at a University, play squash, fly & glide & the only dates I've had apart from 1 who I picked up in a coffee bar, has been off match.com . I live a full & rich life, but I miss not having one special man in my life.
Get real

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Judged:

Why can't you limit your search to the bay area? Searching for mates country-wide (or world wide) screams of desperation!

Meet someone in a public place instead of endless online chat to where they feel comfortable hitting you up for money!

Due diligence!!
roxieb

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Judged:

Hi
I just wanted to warn you of a scam I almost fell for.
He says he is a gemologist and is starting his own business here (in this case here was Oregon)
So he (of course) has two parents who are both dead for one reason or another and his fiancée passed away 3 years ago. Seems okay. So the day before we are supposed to meet, his agent he is working with to open his jewelry business in OR sends him on a buying spree to Malysia at the last minute (this made me real suspicious), his agent is near deaths door, as well (of course).
Then after day two of said buying spree said agent dies.
So Robert Bolton, that is his name (I should have been suspicious when he named himself after a baseball player, OMG!!!)
tells me the agent has died and I am the only friend of any kind he has in the world, okay.
Than on the way home (and he gives you his complete travel manifest) he gets (supposedly) held up in Hong Kong by customs who wants him to pay 18K to get his precious purchases out of the country. He says he has given them, the officials in hong kong over 10K but still needs an additional 8500.00.

I even told him in our correspondences that he seemed to good to be true and that there must be another shoe ready to drop somewhere.
Well it dropped.
The part that hurts the most is, I really am a great woman as he told me in his IM's and his emails all of that is true. It hurts, so anyway, look out for that SCAM and be careful.
I do not believe that match.com is bad, I believe that some people want to scam others to get a free ride in life, that's all.
Roxanne
Scammers

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Judged:

I'm struggling with scammers from POF and Match. Huge red flag if right off they tell you are beautiful, stunning, gorgeous etc. if they seem to have trouble with writing English, red flag. If you ask them what part of town they live in but can't name one single location in that town, red flag. I have met some decent men on both sites - just go with your intuition. If it doesn't feel right it probably isn't
Lavon Affair

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Judged:

Match dot com deals wrote:
I joined to try it for a month ans tried the 6 month deal. After a couple of weeks it wasn't for me and cancelled - BUT They kept the money for the whole 6 months membership.
I searched the site to see if it was a one off payment up front but it didn't say anything about it and I thought it was a recurring subscription. Beware it isn't. And customer services were less than helpful about it.
..........pick up the phone book and hire a crooked attorney .........the BAR will protect the evil fusion center lawyer ........the BAR exists to protect entitled lawyers.......the BAR does not protect the public.........courts do not exist to dispense justice ..........courts exist to make money for lawyers and judges.........and other parasites at law........see OPERATION GREYLORD ..........SUPERMOB by gus russo.
Eric

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

Judged:

Match.com is the biggest fraud ever. They blame it on "scammers" but clearly, the are the ones creating fake profiles. Criminals are there to make money, not to spend it. Why would anyone join, pay for membership and then delete his/hers profile day later? Mainly, if you are on "trial" you cannot send and read emails so, who else can create fake profiles and email you from an account that suddenly disappears? Match.com , that's who. I tried it and three days later 97% of the profiles that showed "interest" in me disappeared ... 97%, no kidding! Stay away from this site, match.com is nothing but a fraud perpetrated by the very same people that own the site.
jackie

Northwich, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

Don't join match them they are scammers who take your cash quite happily took 6 months off me and they were supposed to take it monthly..when I called to complain they put the phone down after shouting at me wtf talk about non existant customer service.. I also found in the 2 or 3 days I used match it was only fake profiles and they kept asking me to pay more money so the guys could read my messages are they for real .. so not only do you pay your sub you have to upgrade so people can read your messages.. my advice give them a wide berth no wonder they can afford big tv ad campaigns
Cat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

Yes - My feelings exactly - "too good to be true and waiting for the other shoe to drop." When I first "met" scam I didn't know how to search .... until after the request for money and after all the romancing did I look up "romance scams" and all the stories were similar. I don't think match.com is at fault, but if you feel someone is a scammer on match.com , just report it and they are shortly gone. I also didn't know there are free dating sites such as okcupid.com - which I liked more than match.com b/c of the questions you can answer. Same thing - of course there are scammers but now are so easy to spot.
roxieb wrote:
Hi
I just wanted to warn you of a scam I almost fell for.
He says he is a gemologist and is starting his own business here (in this case here was Oregon)
So he (of course) has two parents who are both dead for one reason or another and his fiancée passed away 3 years ago. Seems okay. So the day before we are supposed to meet, his agent he is working with to open his jewelry business in OR sends him on a buying spree to Malysia at the last minute (this made me real suspicious), his agent is near deaths door, as well (of course).
Then after day two of said buying spree said agent dies.
So Robert Bolton, that is his name (I should have been suspicious when he named himself after a baseball player, OMG!!!)
tells me the agent has died and I am the only friend of any kind he has in the world, okay.
Than on the way home (and he gives you his complete travel manifest) he gets (supposedly) held up in Hong Kong by customs who wants him to pay 18K to get his precious purchases out of the country. He says he has given them, the officials in hong kong over 10K but still needs an additional 8500.00.
I even told him in our correspondences that he seemed to good to be true and that there must be another shoe ready to drop somewhere.
Well it dropped.
The part that hurts the most is, I really am a great woman as he told me in his IM's and his emails all of that is true. It hurts, so anyway, look out for that SCAM and be careful.
I do not believe that match.com is bad, I believe that some people want to scam others to get a free ride in life, that's all.
Roxanne
Anne

Regina, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2013

Judged:

First day on the site.....got a wink and started a conversation with Michael. Hadn't read the safety tips, so began chatting off site. He had a Yahoo address.(both serious red flags) as well as being a brand new member. He sucked me in for 3 weeks before asking me for airfare!! NOT. He was VERY persuasive, romantic and had a Linked In business address.(without a photo though)
I feel like a fool, BUT he didn't get me in the end. Sent a final message thanking him for the ride!
Think I'll yank my info from Match.com . It's just not worth it. Please beware.
ROTM

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

Judged:

That is good to know. Also, when you ask someone the time in Afghanistan and it takes them five minutes to get back to you - chances are they are NOT in Afghanistan. But they are incredibly stupid. Probably had to go borrow someone's laptop to find out.

So far three scamming soldiers and another one I just told don't write me anymore - he wrote a thesis and at the end asked if I rented or owned.

I asked one to send me a picture of his passport and thought he was a Nigerian - never heard back that was Mike Welllington. FYI.

If they ask you anything about money or go on for more than a few sentences chances are they are scammers. No doubt about it.
Ottawa John

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

I was only on Match for less than a month and two different people tried to scam me,the latest one is using this name on Match http://www.match.ca/profile/showProfile.aspx...
This person tried to get me on yahoo messenger but that failed, so then he/she asked me to open a gmail account and this is the account this person used maryloubirdwell@gmail.com She/he asked me to send them money for air fair so that she could bring her daughter to come and meet me...imagine that!!
hew

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

Judged:

Lauraspiano wrote:
"Go out and do it in person..." Well, even though I do have a sense of adventure, I will not be joining anymore dating sites again! A guy posing as a US Army SSG "stationed in Kabul Afghanistan tried to scam me...he starts out with send me food...then send me a brand new Iphone...then send me $$$! I never sent him anything, thank goodness! He also sent me numerous pics of himself, and they were all the same guy! However, why would he want me to mail all this stuff to AFRICA??? I may have been a fool for considering the possibility of this very handsome soldier, but I'm not as big of a fool as he thought!
I learned the following about dating site scams:
1. If they immediately want to IM off of match, be careful
2. If they don't have a profile pic
3. If they want you to mail them money (duh!)
4. If they want you to mail them anything of value
5. If they don't know the weather conditions from where they're supposedly from or where they supposedly are...an immediate response to that would be the right response...if they don't know, RED FLAG!
6. You can call your local USAF enlistment office and ask questions about what they want. The local office was the one that convinced me that he was not real.
7. INSIST ON A VIDEO CHAT! Make sure they match their identity!
8. BE ON GUARD ALWAYS...ALWAYS!
Good luck folks.
Anyone lookin' for a date with a nice lady? LOL jkjkjk
I have a question for you!! What was the guys name that you were speaking to that was in the U.S. Army S.S.G???Because I'm speaking to one now!!! I met him on match.com !!! If you have any more information or pics of him could you forward it to me???Please!! How would I go about contacting my local USAF enlistment office?? I have pics that he has sent me too!! Just want to know if its the same person. We met on match.com on July 19, 2013. Thank you for all of your help!! Looking forward to your response please!!
lets have fun

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2013

Judged:

I'm in the process of figuring out I'm getting scammed. Started out with wonderful e-mails...which of course his match.com was going to expire so he gave me his personal e-mail. A few weeks of emailing each other led to hmmmm this guy sounds pretty nice and genuine. Then his buisness (which I still don't know) bid on a contract and he got it...which is in the United Kingdom..so off he goes be back in 3 weeks..but still emailing on a daily bases. A lot of "I miss you"..can't wait to meet you"...blablablah...so then his buisness has an issue with cash flow and all his tools we taken away....and he won't be able to finish his "project"..which I don't know what that is even tho I've asked...he asked me to send him money to get his "project" back on track or he loses his contract..and all his investments...what??..so needless to say I'm not sending Anything and I'm done with online services....please be careful and like everyone else says...just go out and meet people..not online!
warene spillers

Albany, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

on match.com yes i know that is a scam, i have sent out over 2000 e-mails, no reply, y know that is a scam, they are all paper dolls, made from there comt. read my lips.

Since: May 13

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

Babs wrote:
Hi, just curious - did you get your money back? I joined for a 3 months special and second email was from a scammer and another kept trying to IM me but profile was unavailable. And this was on day 2.
<quoted text>
No, they got my money as hard as I tried to get it back. The only way that I ever met someone was in person. Scammers seem to be taking over the Internet. I don't join dating sites anymore. Too much risk involved.

Since: May 13

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

Gigi wrote:
Before you go on line subscribe to didtheyreadit.com it tells you when anything you send is opened & read & most importantly where it is read. eg Ghana.
If you do go online set up a new email account not using your name just for online dating use.
I admit to being naive & having been scammed.
As for meeting men other ways. Well I'm naturally a friendly chatty person.. I go to the gym, church, work at a University, play squash, fly & glide & the only dates I've had apart from 1 who I picked up in a coffee bar, has been off match.com . I live a full & rich life, but I miss not having one special man in my life.
The problem for me is, I guess I'm too old now. Women my age are either married, have several kids or burnt from former boyfriends.
Nancy

Germantown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2014

Closed-Minded Skeptic wrote:
First off: I can't believe the utter foolishness of anyone using an "online dating" service. people are so desperate for companionship that they'll travel any avenue looking for a mate. Bad news folks! ALL online dating services are SCAMS! The biggest joke is christian mingle. They emphasize "god" as a selling point so "you're sure" to get the man or woman of a "heavenly nature" to be your loyal companion for life. HA! And Jesus is taking tickets for the next space shuttle excursion! Come on all you desperate folks! Apply some rational, logical thought and don't think with your emotions. There's enough bullshit circulating in society. Stand your ground and think like a skeptic and the bullshit around you will stop stinking less and less.
Wow. That's vreally harsh. Dangerous and deceitful peoplevare everywhere. And joining a dating website does nit mean one is desperate. I'm not--but was interested I n meeting some men to date. Scammers: Be e n there, done that. Have also met a few who are good guys. In fact, I'm off to bed to rest up for tomirrow--meeting up with one for a six mile run in the morning!
Nancy

Germantown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2014

lets have fun wrote:
I'm in the process of figuring out I'm getting scammed. Started out with wonderful e-mails...which of course his match.com was going to expire so he gave me his personal e-mail. A few weeks of emailing each other led to hmmmm this guy sounds pretty nice and genuine. Then his buisness (which I still don't know) bid on a contract and he got it...which is in the United Kingdom..so off he goes be back in 3 weeks..but still emailing on a daily bases. A lot of "I miss you"..can't wait to meet you"...blablablah...so then his buisness has an issue with cash flow and all his tools we taken away....and he won't be able to finish his "project"..which I don't know what that is even tho I've asked...he asked me to send him money to get his "project" back on track or he loses his contract..and all his investments...what??..so needless to say I'm not sending Anything and I'm done with online services....please be careful and like everyone else says...just go out and meet people..not online!
David Osborne? Sucked me in for a bit, but nit in the end.
Nancy

Germantown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2014

Match may have its issues, but I know of many people who have met their spouses there (including my sister). You just have to be careful and look for red flags--scammers become very obvious!
Paul

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2014

What Scam

Do not join this site.. The send you fake winks and emails to get you to sign up... there is other "ethical" sites out there and this one is one of the worst

Scum of the earth = Match.com

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of59
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Osprey Discussions

Search the Osprey Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Good place to live 15 hr Magnorius 3
Thou Shalt Have No Other Gods Before Me Wed Magnorius 1
'50 Shades!: The Musical' returns to Sarasota (Nov '13) Jul 5 Sadbuttrue 4
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) Jul 4 the protected species 2,911
Sarasota Ponzi artist featured on "American Greed" (Aug '11) Jul 4 asknada 4
jess hughett Jun 30 win-win 1
looking for Duncan family Jun 29 dean 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Osprey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••