Match.com Scams
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: May 13

Sarasota, FL

#1 May 18, 2013
Yep, Match.com ! I was also almost scammed, too! First, stay away from the younger ones. All they want to do is get you on yahoo's IM because there is no email trace. I did IM this person. I say person because you really don't know you you're chatting with. Anyway, her profile said she was from Philadelphia, PA, so I thought, OK, if she is a scammer, the US will go after her. I finally got her to say where she was from on the IM. Guess where. Ghana! So, I knew at that point it was a scam because through the entire chat, she always used lower case letters, you couldn't hardly understand her English (she spelled cheat as chet). I finally said, I had to go, then looked up Ghana scams. Sure enough, I was right. Then, I tried to get back into my account, and Match.com let this person change my email address, password and username. I can't get back into my account. To top it all off, you have to call Match.com to ask for a refund, but they won't accept calls on Saturday....WTF?
I've sent several emails to Match.com explaining the situation. Their responses were to clear my cookie cache.....lol and call them for a refund. The thing is, I've only been on there ONE day!!!!!
MY advice. Anyone overseas is a scammer because the government won't go after them. I tried to report another scammer from Russia on the FBI's IC3 unit, but they did nothing. If you send them money, you will never get it back!
Tricia

Creedmoor, NC

#2 Jun 27, 2013
I placed a profile, but did not join MATCH, luckily. I received many, many winks or flirts which u can respond to for free. EVERY SINGLE ONE came back to a profile which said; "Ooops, this profile is no longer available." So since I check my mail everyday, did 100's of people sign up and quit everyday before I got a chance to read their profile? I keep getting e mail telling me I need to join to get all the benefits, yada yada yada! No thank you!! SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM !!!
Com Dot Match

Bradenton, FL

#3 Jun 28, 2013
It's the internet....what did you expect. Anyone can be whatever they want ya to think there are.

Wanna met someone? Get out and do it in person.
Babs

Waymart, PA

#4 Jul 15, 2013
Hi, just curious - did you get your money back? I joined for a 3 months special and second email was from a scammer and another kept trying to IM me but profile was unavailable. And this was on day 2.
Dave999111 wrote:
Yep, Match.com ! I was also almost scammed, too! First, stay away from the younger ones. All they want to do is get you on yahoo's IM because there is no email trace. I did IM this person. I say person because you really don't know you you're chatting with. Anyway, her profile said she was from Philadelphia, PA, so I thought, OK, if she is a scammer, the US will go after her. I finally got her to say where she was from on the IM. Guess where. Ghana! So, I knew at that point it was a scam because through the entire chat, she always used lower case letters, you couldn't hardly understand her English (she spelled cheat as chet). I finally said, I had to go, then looked up Ghana scams. Sure enough, I was right. Then, I tried to get back into my account, and Match.com let this person change my email address, password and username. I can't get back into my account. To top it all off, you have to call Match.com to ask for a refund, but they won't accept calls on Saturday....WTF?
I've sent several emails to Match.com explaining the situation. Their responses were to clear my cookie cache.....lol and call them for a refund. The thing is, I've only been on there ONE day!!!!!
MY advice. Anyone overseas is a scammer because the government won't go after them. I tried to report another scammer from Russia on the FBI's IC3 unit, but they did nothing. If you send them money, you will never get it back!
Match dot com deals

UK

#5 Jul 16, 2013
I joined to try it for a month ans tried the 6 month deal. After a couple of weeks it wasn't for me and cancelled - BUT They kept the money for the whole 6 months membership.
I searched the site to see if it was a one off payment up front but it didn't say anything about it and I thought it was a recurring subscription. Beware it isn't. And customer services were less than helpful about it.
scammers abound

Bradenton, FL

#7 Jul 17, 2013
Around Sarasota is a target rich environment because so many of these local women are ALL OVER the dating internet ! they will even lie that they don't have profiles on any site. Scammers see them as a huge opportunity, not just on MATCH, but also on a foreign-owned site, Plenty of Fish, which is basically free.

BTW, I'd say over 80% of Sarasota online dating women are present on at least 3 sites ! I have tracked several to multiple sites - I mean it's a bit odd for such a smallish community to have thousands of women on all of these sites at the same time, BUT THEY ARE, that's why the target is rich for scammers ! they had hide amongst the throngs of women advertising themselves.

I have found however that many of the Sarasota/Manatee women are disingenuous anyway about their true intentions whether if you meet them at Geckos, Hyde Park, Stonewood, Bonefish (really) Libby's, White Buffalo, The Ritz, Mattison's, Ocean Blue, Gator Club (really), Marina Jack , McAllister's, Polo Grill (really really), or some freekin remote joint like Truman's for heaven's sake . Again, scammers do their homework, and guys fall into the trap just being guys.

When you have a community that is as pretentious and bogus in some ways (quite genuine in others), as SRQ/MAN, you're going to have it on the radar of scammers from all over the world, AND of course your local variety scumbags as well.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#8 Jul 21, 2013
As with ANY Date Site..YOU are Dating a Potential STRANGER,!

Didn't YOUR MOM TELL YA...NOT TO TALK TO STRANGERS????
Lauraspiano

Levelland, TX

#9 Jul 25, 2013
"Go out and do it in person..." Well, even though I do have a sense of adventure, I will not be joining anymore dating sites again! A guy posing as a US Army SSG "stationed in Kabul Afghanistan tried to scam me...he starts out with send me food...then send me a brand new Iphone...then send me $$$! I never sent him anything, thank goodness! He also sent me numerous pics of himself, and they were all the same guy! However, why would he want me to mail all this stuff to AFRICA??? I may have been a fool for considering the possibility of this very handsome soldier, but I'm not as big of a fool as he thought!
I learned the following about dating site scams:
1. If they immediately want to IM off of match, be careful
2. If they don't have a profile pic
3. If they want you to mail them money (duh!)
4. If they want you to mail them anything of value
5. If they don't know the weather conditions from where they're supposedly from or where they supposedly are...an immediate response to that would be the right response...if they don't know, RED FLAG!
6. You can call your local USAF enlistment office and ask questions about what they want. The local office was the one that convinced me that he was not real.
7. INSIST ON A VIDEO CHAT! Make sure they match their identity!
8. BE ON GUARD ALWAYS...ALWAYS!

Good luck folks.
Anyone lookin' for a date with a nice lady? LOL jkjkjk
mjf2503

Cochrane, Canada

#10 Jul 27, 2013
I think I am being scammed now from a fellow on Match.com he claims his name is Jeremy Hoffman,
he has a company web page, and is a smooth talker. I have to say some flags were starting to raise the last couple days, I am just going to lay low and see if he asks for anything.

I just hate the fact these people not only try and get money from you it seems from what I have been reading but also mess with people's emotions.

I love the comment about our mom's telling us not to speak with strangers!!!

I took my profile off but my picture is still on there. I have also notified them I am not renewing my acct. I think I signed up for one month.

Cheers
mj
mjf2503

Cochrane, Canada

#11 Jul 27, 2013
oh and he says he is from Delaware, is a widower, with two teenage daughters.

I did fall for that, feeling so sad for his loss and admiring his strength to raise the girls.
LOL I am so naïve!!

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Rockin' USA ;)

#12 Jul 27, 2013
TELL ME ABOUT IT...!!!!

My Match.com date..TOLD me...

That he was a NAVY SEAL, A COP and is presently a CABLE DUDE!!
WOW...ALL that any the AGE of 35...WHOA!!!
Kev_from_uk

Manchester, UK

#13 Jul 29, 2013
Hi -- I have just signed up to Match.com in the UK ---ALL of my "winks" have turned out to be from Russia so far -- it seems English girls don't wink :-)

Anyway -- complaints to Match fall on deaf ears -- they don't care as long as they have ( and keep) your subs.

I am a genuine single guy bringing up his 6 year old son and neither of us needs this !!!
rvs

Afton, NY

#15 Aug 3, 2013
mjf2503 wrote:
I think I am being scammed now from a fellow on Match.com he claims his name is Jeremy Hoffman,
he has a company web page, and is a smooth talker. I have to say some flags were starting to raise the last couple days, I am just going to lay low and see if he asks for anything.
I just hate the fact these people not only try and get money from you it seems from what I have been reading but also mess with people's emotions.
I love the comment about our mom's telling us not to speak with strangers!!!
I took my profile off but my picture is still on there. I have also notified them I am not renewing my acct. I think I signed up for one month.
Cheers
mj
I am also in the same situation, with possibly the same guy or whatever, using same name and has an awesome company website, now wishes to have me send him ipad and iphone as he lost his during travel to Ghana for business emergency. Yeah, right! He can adk, but will never, ever get a nickel from this gal. Ladies, BEWARE!
rvs

Afton, NY

#16 Aug 3, 2013
Most of my contacts from match for three months have been scammers. I have made sure they will not auto renew me, but there will be no refund of course. :-)

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Rockin' USA ;)

#17 Aug 3, 2013
WHAT will NY152..say today I wonder???
Closed-Minded Skeptic

Santa Clara, CA

#18 Aug 5, 2013
First off: I can't believe the utter foolishness of anyone using an "online dating" service. people are so desperate for companionship that they'll travel any avenue looking for a mate. Bad news folks! ALL online dating services are SCAMS! The biggest joke is christian mingle. They emphasize "god" as a selling point so "you're sure" to get the man or woman of a "heavenly nature" to be your loyal companion for life. HA! And Jesus is taking tickets for the next space shuttle excursion! Come on all you desperate folks! Apply some rational, logical thought and don't think with your emotions. There's enough bullshit circulating in society. Stand your ground and think like a skeptic and the bullshit around you will stop stinking less and less.
Cat

Waymart, PA

#19 Aug 6, 2013
Closed-Minded Skeptic wrote:
First off: I can't believe the utter foolishness of anyone using an "online dating" service. people are so desperate for companionship that they'll travel any avenue looking for a mate. Bad news folks! ALL online dating services are SCAMS! The biggest joke is christian mingle. They emphasize "god" as a selling point so "you're sure" to get the man or woman of a "heavenly nature" to be your loyal companion for life. HA! And Jesus is taking tickets for the next space shuttle excursion! Come on all you desperate folks! Apply some rational, logical thought and don't think with your emotions. There's enough bullshit circulating in society. Stand your ground and think like a skeptic and the bullshit around you will stop stinking less and less.
Your name is so appropriate.
Close Minded

Cochrane, Canada

#20 Aug 6, 2013
In a perfect world!! No need to judge people, I would much rather believe there a good people out there then be a skeptic and not trust anyone.

I was lucky the red flags went off and I cut off any more communication.

It is sad there are people out there that take advantage, but as I said in a perfect world it wouldn't happen.

mj
Kev

Cochrane, Canada

#21 Aug 6, 2013
I never thought about men getting scammed by women. I guess men can be as vulnerable as women.

Someone told me on another web site that allot of scammers work in groups, that it is business, it is their job, most of them working from Ghana and some other place that I can't remember.

I wish you luck in finding someone who is honest and real.
mj
Cleveland Ken

Cleveland, OH

#22 Aug 16, 2013
I was on Match for a few months, and met a few really nice matches, but yes, a lot of the profiles are fake and trying to scam you. My advice is totally ignore anyone not in your geographical area. Ignore anyone that is completely out of the age range you are looking at (if you list interest in 35-45 year old females, ignore matches if they are 22).

And most important, if you want to cancel your subscription/profile, before you do, remove all photos, and info listed in the profile, before you cancel it. In the about me section I said that it was no longer an active user. Match will not take down your profile or picture(s) when you cancel, and it will still be view able by people searching or in daily matches.

No, match takes not responsibility in any of this. They only take your money, and auto renew your membership if you don't remove the credit card info. I might even suggest if you want to use Match, maybe use a gift card to pay the fee.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Osprey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bill Warner Private investigator (May '15) Mon I eat beef 71
Why so many drug addicts, homeless, and stupid ... (Mar '11) Aug 20 YeahYou 275
Review: Age Vital Pharmacy (Feb '14) Aug 15 Leslie 2
News Clearwater Beach Honored Again as a Top Beach (Mar '13) Aug 13 AIPAC is evil 48
Sheriff's Deputies blasting sirens Aug 13 global gaza 2
News Sarasota woman telling Charles Manson's story (Dec '11) Aug 13 boko palmach 2
News Survey finds some tourists would put off visiti... Aug 7 Wonder why 1

Osprey Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Osprey Mortgages