Winnebago Mental Health Institute plagued by neglect

Sep 3, 2007 Full story: Appleton Post-Crescent 51

“Patient and public safety is always paramount here”

Facility near Oshkosh had three patients die in two years The Associated Press Three patients died and another was raped among nearly three dozens acts of violence or sexual aggression at the state-run ... via Appleton Post-Crescent

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
BAGO

Fond Du Lac, WI

#41 Nov 13, 2012
I am a current RCT at Winnebago and although I feel like some of you are boosting up the stories a bit, I can in a way feel for you. I see people working horifying hours for nothing, being forced over time, never seeing their family, etc.....But they come back every day to the same crap. So and so swallowed this, such and such punched staff in the face, look out for whoever because shes on the war path today. It never ends. As far as Youth services goes, yes kids that are on program are expected to get up and go to school and groups. Oh well. at least 75% of our patients are forensic so they were sent by the courts. If you end up on Sherman Hall it is because someone thought you need help. Suicide attmpts, self harming, nervous brakdown, your meds are no longer effective, you went off your meds, etc. We employees have to deal with all of this with our heads held high because if we dont, we are a target. If you dont like the way the unit is set up with patient ratios or the different reasons they are there, blame the state. Not us. They are the ones that close down units so we are overpopulated with people on the wrong type of unit. So call the governor and tell him what a shitty job hes doing so that we can get some consistency into Winnebago.
nikki

Tomah, WI

#42 Dec 18, 2012
My Husband just got put in Gemini, Any feed back will help
Thanks
kmk

Oshkosh, WI

#43 May 7, 2013
I worked out there for 18 yrs and work. I don't think so, so many of the RCTs are just thay. Lazy. Complain about everything. Go out into the real world and work as a cna! Even in group homes there are mentally challenged or a reg pysch hospital floor. They get paid way less and do more than you do. Back in the day we worked with less staff and did just fine. Get off your butt and work. I would never want to send anyone there.
who="ExWorker"]There are some very good, compassionate people that work in that facility. There also are a few bad seeds. At any rate, the plac is horribly run, excessive hours leading to burnout, and no, contrary to what previous posters have stated, workers are not paid huge wages.$12 an hour to start and get you life threatned on a daily basis, assaulted and treated like crap from the mgt too... The place needs an enema. I do feel sorry for some patients who have to live in that cess pool
Jasmine Herrington

Janesville, WI

#44 Jul 16, 2013
I actually stayed at Winnepago Mental Health Institution this past April-March for a suicide attempt, and because I suffered from self harm. We were not probably supervised, and fights broke out constantly. In our rooms, we were allowed things that could harm us, I myself was allowed a pen. A PEN! In my room, do you have any idea that I could've stabbed myself with that? We were given bedsheets, that if tied together, were able to hang ourselves from the bars on our windows. I was put in solitary confinement, because a girl in there was bullying me. I told one of the nurses about it, and all she did was seperate us, and I was put in solitary confinement. Mind you I was 17 at the time of me being in there, I NEVER want to go there again. The staff was rude, and wouldn't understand your problems. The group therapy was a JOKE, we played monopoly almost every single time, and not no differitiated version of monopoly revolving around mental issues. No, regular old monopoly. This place would leave us unsupervised in the day rooms, while the people went to go to lunch. There was always only one or two nurses on hand, for the some 16-18 girls in my side of the building. The social workers were very great though, the social worker I had named Laura, was amazing, and some of the psychiatrists were amazing as well. But this place needs serious changes, patients who are suicidal, or are known to have violent behavior SHOULD NOT have anything that could harm someone. Mind you, I was a patient there this March-April of 2013.
Mattie

Wisconsin Rapids, WI

#46 Dec 18, 2013
I may have been in around then what unit? The abuse is real esp. In the admission hall.
mrn wrote:
I would sure like to know more about this Winnebago Mental Hospital. My niece was the one who died there, and believe me, the facts are all messed up!! She did NOT go there after a drug overdose....she HATED drugs...wouldnt take anything! She had post partum psycosis after having her second baby. She had an episode at her home and the police came and took her there. Days later she was found dead in the bath tub...suicide??? You have GOT to be kidding... as it looks to me, something else happened there. Who commits suicide by drowing in a bath tub?? Get real and get the facts and stop keeping the truth from everyone. I pray that the truth comes out and those responsible will be found out.
Joe Mama

Paso Robles, CA

#47 Jan 15, 2014
expatient wrote:
f**k all of you who support that place, i was there for 128 days in sherman hall and its sick
so was I and that place was hell.
expatient2

Mobile, AL

#48 Jan 19, 2014
set back wrote:
i agree 100% with you!!!i do know a few people that work there,and they bust there butts to keep that place going!
<quoted text>
I too spent time in that HORRID place I was 16 I am 33 now and had to go where they sent me, oh and isn't that the time they were giving teenagers antidepressants when back then they didn't know you weren't supposed to because of bad reactions so to the one who made the comment about not getting sent there and getting a job you are a RETARD... I was beaten put in choke holds and arm bars, wrist locks and all because a pharmecutical comapany wanted to get rich...
expatient

Neenah, WI

#49 Feb 22, 2014
i found winnebago to be very helpful i was on sherman hall unit 3-4 i am fifteen years old i found doctor marshall bales really caring they actually did something about my medication(i have schizophrenia) unlike st elizabeths and the social worker was really helpful the group therapists were really calm and supportive yeah it sucked but they did help me
pixie

Oconomowoc, WI

#50 Nov 19, 2014
expatient wrote:
f**k all of you who support that place, i was there for 128 days in sherman hall and its sick
I was in Peterson hall I think that's what they called it and I seen some crazy shit
HauntedBySherman Hall3

Mount Prospect, IL

#51 Tuesday Jan 6
ExPatient wrote:
<quoted text>
I too was on Sherman Hall 3 for 6 months and I seen head banging as bad as you did and the staff never made an effort to stop her. I got into trouble for actually sitting there and talking to her trying to stop her from harming herself. They told me that it was none of my business and that I needed to leave her be. I fought with them because ethically I felt that it was wrong and that they were basically just allowing her to cause herself brain damage by banging her head off of a concrete wall. it was horrid.
I think I was there for that... I think I may know you. What year were you there?
HauntedBySherman Hall3

Mount Prospect, IL

#52 Tuesday Jan 6
ExPatient wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree with you. Not everyone that is placed in that place is there because they are mentally ill, they do have a unit designed specifically for those with drug and alcohol problems. One is able to obtain work there as long as they haven't been a patient for X number of years.
I know I was part of a program in Gemini

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oshkosh Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: J J'S Health SPA (Jan '13) Jan 25 Jay 2
Reuben 'Ben' R. Robley (Apr '11) Jan 14 Vicki 2
Trying to locate Warren or Wally Johnson or the... Jan 3 Doublet 1
Methadone clinic planned for Oshkosh Dec '14 Matt Mikkelsen 1
New London Man Pleads No Contest To Fatal Beating (Jun '06) Dec '14 BfromAppleton 20
Jehovah's Witnesses meet over prophecies (Jun '11) Dec '14 Maravilla 139
Debate: Marijuana - Oshkosh, WI (Aug '10) Nov '14 gary 14
Oshkosh Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Oshkosh People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:24 pm PST

Yahoo! Sports 1:24PM
What trick will Belichick pull from his hoodie sleeve next?
Bleacher Report 5:14 PM
How Bears Can Make Most of Each Draft Pick
Bleacher Report12:00 AM
3 Mistakes the Chicago Bears Can't Afford to Make This Offseason
NBC Sports 6:14 AM
Michael Bidwill on Larry Fitzgerald: We'll get this worked out
Bleacher Report 9:15 AM
Tillman Hints at Return to Bears with Tweet