Review: Destination Driving School
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
past parent and friend

Neenah, WI

#21 Nov 2, 2009
Pathetic enough to think that Dave is scamming adults, but to steal from a 15 yr old child should me more than just criminal - it should be child endangerment
knows better

New London, WI

#22 Dec 2, 2009
I'm sorry to hear that at 15 years old you had to learn this hard lesson, but I applaud your perceptiveness. Dave Macomber is a thief and a fraud at the very least, and anyone who thinks otherwise is sorely mistaken. People show you who they are, they don't tell you--and Dave has shown he is every bit the LIAR you and everyone else on this site now knows him to be.
past parent and friend

Neenah, WI

#23 Dec 2, 2009
all you have to do is check him out on ccap and you will understand karma
another victim

Baraboo, WI

#24 Jan 14, 2010
Been waiting well over a year for my rebate!
Hmmm

Milwaukee, WI

#25 Mar 10, 2010
Once a thief...always a thief... NEW COMPLAINTS SEND MAN BACK TO COURT -| Posted: Saturday, April 27, 1991 12:00 am | He is allegedly practicing optometry without a license By Gary Metro Racine Journal Times A man accused of practicing optometry in Racine without a license earlier this week was brought back to court Friday after more clients complained to the Racine County district attorney's office. David Macomber is accused of examining people and prescribing lenses at Avenue Optical, 3320 Washington Ave., in defiance of a court order against his working as an optometrist. He also is suspected of providing people with medication for eye conditions. Macomber's practice, as alleged, could destroy the vision of the eyeglass and contact lens customers who have used his services, according to Racine County Assistant District Attorney Sharon Riek, who asked the court to set a higher bond for his release and said additional charges may be coming. "You can cause permanent eye damage if you prescribe contact lenses for someone who shouldn't wear contact lenses. Poorly fit contact lenses can cause permanent eye damage," Riek said Friday. Macomber's alleged practice of prescribing medication could delay some people from getting proper medical attention for a debilitating eye disease, she added. In response to Riek's request Court Commissioner James Drummond not only boosted bond for Macomber's release, he ordered him out of business. "You are not to conduct any optical business in Racine County without the express permission of the court," Drummond said. "I want the phone dead and I want the sign out. You are not in business in Racine County." Riek filed charges against Macomber, 29, address unknown earlier in the week. But new allegations made against Macomber since he was accused of practicing optometry without a license, theft by fraud and bail jumping brought him back to court. "I have received eight addition complaints," Riek said. "Those are the complaints that merit additional investigation by our office … We're only investigating the best cases." Because of the new allegations, Drummond added a $500 signature bond to the $500 cash bond posted by Macomber earlier this week. This is not the first time Macomber has faced such charges. He paid a $200 fine June 14 for an earlier conviction of practicing optometry without a license. In the current proceedings against Macomber, he is accused of examining, prescribing and providing contact lenses for a Racine man. Police said the man got his lenses March 1, but one of the lenses was chipped and the man couldn't see from the other one. Police said the man paid $130 and never received a satisfactory pair of contact lenses. Macomber also is charged with bail jumping for allegedly refusing to report for for fingerprints and photographs ordered in an earlier criminal prosecution.
knows better

New London, WI

#26 Mar 20, 2010
As an addition to the post from "Hmmm" on March 10, I thought people ripped off by Macomber would appreciate this article from the Racine Journal Times Web site archives posted January 28, 1994. Seems our boy has a long history of fraudulent occupations:

IMPOSTER ACCUSED IN NEW RACKET
Twice found guilty of practicing optometry without a license, David Macomber now stands accused of setting his sights on a new racket in the mortgage business.
Macomber, 31, formerly of 137 Water's Edge Circle in Burlington, was charged in Racine County Circuit Court Thursday with bilking hopeful homeowners out of thousands of dollars during a six-month period beginning last February.
Most of the alleged offenses occurred while Macomber was free on bond in connection with a Milwaukee County fraud case against him, and on probation for a Racine County case. He's now back behind bars.
It seems Macomber - who once worked giving eye exams and prescribing lenses without a license at Avenue Optical, 3320 Washington Ave.,- decided to try his hand at the mortgage-lending business, authorities said.
Macomber convinced officials at Kapp Financial Group in Wauwatosa to let him set up a mortgage department. He joined their firm as an associate and began training others in how to secure mortgage refinancing loans, the complaint said.
He also established a business called Statewide Mortgage Group and allegedly told the Kapps and other associates that all mortgages should come through him. Mortgage applications were to be processed through Macomber and clients were told to make out checks to his company.
This time, however, he had the required loan solicitor's license from the state of Wisconsin.
It wasn't until later, according to the criminal complaint, that authorities learned the license had been fraudulently obtained. Macomber had denied having any prior felony or misdemeanor convictions when he filled out and signed the application on Feb. 11, 1993. The form was witnessed and stamped by a notary public.
Just a week earlier, Macomber was convicted of felony theft by fraud and he was still on probation. He also has two misdemeanor convictions for practicing optometry without a license.
Authorities said Macomber took money for home appraisals, credit checks and fees for other paperwork associated with mortgage-lending. But none of the money went to help people purchase homes.
Instead, the complaint said, Macomber used more than $3,000 deposited in the Statewide Mortgage account at a Racine bank to pay off credit card bills, medical bills and even to purchase a $275 car from his father.
But things began to fall apart last June.
First, a McFarland man who had attended classes taught by Macomber at Kapp Financial got suspicious when a $300 check was never forwarded to another financial company as promised by Macomber. Then the McFarland man discovered Macomber was in jail.
Meanwhile, Macomber got out of jail and continued to ply his illegal trade for at least another month, according to the complaint.
He even taught at least five sessions of a mortgage refinancing class to business people on Thursday nights in Sun Prairie. He allegedly told them that they should submit any mortgages they sold through his company.
By September, things began to unravel as investigators from the state Department of Justice began to put it all together.
Macomber, the complaint said, admitted to an investigator that he had done some of the things of which he's accused..
But at least one person, a woman from Muskego, got her money back. On Nov. 19, the woman called a justice department investigator to report she had received in the mail a check for $1,635 drawn on the Statewide Mortgage account. The check was signed by a woman identified as Macomber's girlfriend.
If convicted of the four felonies and six misdemeanors, Macomber faces up to 59 years in jail and fines up to $100,000.
I am not going there

United States

#27 Nov 28, 2010
I looked the owner up on the court website. It took 2 hours to go through all of his felonies, civil judgments, small claims and misdemanors. He spent over 5 years in prison and he has theft issues. I am "steering clear" of this place.
concerned wrote:
If I were you, you may have to question the validity of Erpaimly from Waupaca. Why would a driving school in Oshkosh service the Waupaca area? Heck of a drive! From what I understand they have a office in Chilton and Oshkosh and service those areas and nearby. Waupaca is no where near.
If the guy promised people that he would refund their money when the student completed the course (in effort for them to sign up with his school, and none other) he needs to refund their money.
Anyone with question about the owner needs to check out the website wcca.wicourts.gov and look up Mr. David A. Macomber. He has been found guilty of business fraud before.
Hello

Racine, WI

#28 Dec 3, 2010
ERPAIMLY "The man works for nothing then and of course doesn't eat anything either"....Doesn't EAT!? Then why is he fat?
rogerthat

New London, WI

#29 Dec 11, 2010
The easy answer would be that he's lazy--evidenced by a life of bilking people out of their hard-earned money instead of getting off his dead a** and WORKING. However, it doesn't make sense when you take all the running from the law into consideration...
Hello wrote:
ERPAIMLY "The man works for nothing then and of course doesn't eat anything either"....Doesn't EAT!? Then why is he fat?
Gayle Grier

Appleton, WI

#30 Jan 29, 2011
rogerthat wrote:
The easy answer would be that he's lazy--evidenced by a life of bilking people out of their hard-earned money instead of getting off his dead a** and WORKING. However, it doesn't make sense when you take all the running from the law into consideration...
<quoted text>
I posted my real name for the benefit of those who think this man's accusers are cowards. My son took this course 3 YEARS ago and it is obviously we are never getting our refund. The sad thing about this is I was told that this man is a Christian. What a sad commentary on this man's faith! I also am a Christian and I am ashamed that he calls himself one. All he would need to do is come clean and tell the truth. We are not getting refunds anyway so an apology would help.
cannot believe this

United States

#31 Feb 3, 2011
I wrote a post last night and it didn't show up for some reason. So I'll post again.
I find this really disturbing that this thread started Dec 2008, a few years ago, and people are STILL grumbling on it. Move ON!
I use to be a business owner and discovered that
customers always want something for absolutely nothing. I never tried to be unfair with my prices, but the customer was ALWAYS unfair with their expectations of what nothing could purchase.
Business owners should not be trashed for unrealistic, irrational demands from their customers.
I really do believe there was a major misunderstanding as to what the service was and for what amount of dollars would be charged.
And as for not realizing that maybe there are many people named the same name??? My neighbor found a lien on his house because a man way over in another county---with the SAME NAME---didn't pay some bill. The state gov made a mistake and my neighbor needed to prove that a mistake was made.
What a nightmare!
Jumping to conclusions, dragging up the past, not forgiving and forgetting, trashing, gossiping, mobbing, ganging up, being just plan mean spirited are NOT Christian attributes.
Complaining that some Christian out there is not a very good Christian is judgmental and arrogance.
Move on with all of your lives...and talk about something more important than how you couldn't make a man work long hours for you for free...another non-Christian behavior.
former friend

Green Bay, WI

#32 Feb 3, 2011
The last post was undoubtably written by Dave himself. No one but him would ever defend him. In the 8 yrs I have known him, I've never once known him to go to church or say anything implying that he's a Christian. He leaves behind a trail of angry broken hearted people who believed in him and now unfortunately doubt everyone. He had the audacity to tell people that his wife had died in hopes of gaining their trust and money...and it worked for a couple years. If you follow the circuit court site, you will see that his house has been lost to foreclosure and that there is an open criminal charge.
Hello

Racine, WI

#33 Mar 11, 2011
I knew Dave when he lived in Racine. He told me and many others LIE after LIE after LIE! All the people he hung out with were so onto him and his lies...he soon had no friends. He owned Avenue Optical on Washington Ave in Racine and scammed all his customers. Everything you see on the court website IS DAVE MACOMER! The same one that owned Dest Driving school. He is a scammer and a lier! After he got out of jail he had to move up north to start his life over and start the lies again. He has a sickness.
FRIEND

United States

#34 Jun 2, 2012
I know the man and he only had the best interest of those kids on his mind... He thought that his business was doing well enough to offer a rebate, he didn't have to... His marriage was ending right after he was about to give this offer. What the hell. His whole life was falling apart and you peaple want him to worry about a refund. Stupid people, your child got their liscence????? Grow up and move on!
Ex friiend

Appleton, WI

#35 Jun 2, 2012
I knew both Dave and his wife very well. Do a simple case search on Dave and you will know the truth about him. Not only did he con everyone, he did the same to his wife. He is a cheater and a thief, masked behind that big fake smile and fat jolly belly like Santa Claus
FRIEND

United States

#36 Jun 20, 2012
Wow people, You all should take a lesson on humanity. Do unto others as you would have them done to you>>> Respect thyself! Move on with your own situations PLEASE... Leave him and his life alone. He's not hurting you...
Ex friiend

United States

#37 Jun 20, 2012
Spoken like another con man who does whatever he wants, without the slightest care of the damage left in his wake

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oshkosh Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Winnebago Mental Health Institute plagued by ne... (Sep '07) Apr '16 Aurelia 54
Ted Cruz Revealed, Watch Video, then Vote Apr '16 Vote For Trump 1
News Oshkosh Muslims spread true meaning of Islam Mar '16 SHERI 1
Cruz & Kasich Plan Huge Cuts to S.S. & Medicare Mar '16 so you know 1
Mexico Moves to Defeat Trump in USA Mar '16 so you know 3
Ted Cruz Sex Scandal Confirmed by Washington Times Mar '16 so you know 1
Ted Cruz Demands U.S. Take Muslim Refugees Mar '16 Vote For Trump 2

Oshkosh Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oshkosh Mortgages