Accident at Glens in Oscoda
OscodaGirl

Oscoda, MI

#21 Dec 21, 2009
I don't know...but thats a really good idea...don't know the family...understand the little boys mom works at McDonalds in town...
OscodaGirl

Oscoda, MI

#22 Dec 21, 2009
Related To Story

Video
•Police Suspect 'Mechanical Malfunction' In Crash

Oscoda Grocery Store Crash Kills Child, Injures 2
9-Year-Old Victim Airlifted From Scene

POSTED: 9:23 pm EST December 19, 2009
UPDATED: 8:17 am EST December 21, 2009

facebookdel.icio.usbuzzdiggred dit›› Email›› PrintOSCODA, Mich.-- Oscoda Township police said a 12-year-old girl was killed and two other children were hospitalized when a car struck them at a grocery store parking lot.

According to police, the crash occurred shortly before 2 p.m. Saturday at the Glen's Market in Oscoda.

Police said a 77-year-old Oscoda woman was backing out of a parking spot when she hit the three children.

Kayla Paad was killed when the vehicle struck her.

Police said she had been pushing a shopping cart with her 2-year-old cousin inside. Paad’s 9-year-old sister was also struck.

Police said the tot suffered non-life-threatening injuries, but the 9-year-old was airlifted from the scene with severe injuries.

"Indications are that the vehicle in question may have had a mechanical malfunction," Sgt. Erik McNichol told WNEM
OscodaGirl

Oscoda, MI

#23 Dec 21, 2009
Please check wnem.com and abc12.com for video and news on this accident...maybe someone in the community can help with a fund or something or even a webpage for this family...just an idea...
Roxanne

Salt Lake City, UT

#24 Dec 21, 2009
I am very sorry to hear this. I know Kayla is now in the arms of her Grandpa Kevin. My heart goes out to Anita and her mother and I pray for Miranda's recovery. My only regret, is that I never got to meet this part of my family.
Uncle Paul - Wyoming

United States

#25 Dec 21, 2009
Flo: Let evereyone know that I am praying for them. Will be waiting to hear from you.
Angela

United States

#26 Dec 21, 2009
My daughter patricia is friends with kayla and miranda. She moved from alpena to bear lake michigan. she heard he tragic news and was wanting an update..if you could please email me and let me know anything i would appreciate it..thankyou so much..[email protected] com
Very sad

Mililani, HI

#27 Dec 21, 2009
What a horrible thing to happen! I will be praying for the families. Where were the adults of these children? I feel so sad for the driver as well. Must be horrible guilt. I will pray for everyone.
so very sorry

Huntington, IN

#28 Dec 22, 2009
It will be the little things that you will remember the quiet moments the smiles the laughter. And although it may seem hard right now it will be those memories to help push away the pain and bring a smile back again. You never what to hear things like this but at the holiday season it is harder to handle. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to the family & friends
our prayers

Ishpeming, MI

#29 Dec 22, 2009
I am so sorry for your loss. My sister is the manager in glen's deli dept and she was the one giving the oldest girl cpr. Till help could come. Our prayers and thoughts go out to your family during this hard time.
Florance Paad Johnson

Denver, NC

#30 Dec 22, 2009
Very sad wrote:
What a horrible thing to happen! I will be praying for the families. Where were the adults of these children? I feel so sad for the driver as well. Must be horrible guilt. I will pray for everyone.
Kayla and Miranda's aunt was with them when they were hit. This aunt is the mother of the two year old. I want everyone to please take a moment and think before you pass judgment on the aunt or Anita who was not even there. Include the 77 yr old woman in your thoughts.
For your information, this was a shopping errand to get cookie ingredients for a fun afternoon at grandma's house. The girls were spending the night with grandma and ran to the store with their aunt. Kayla is 12 and when you leave a grocery store exit no matter what your age--You do not expect a vehicle to be out of control coming toward you. There was no where for the girls to go for safety as they were not even out of the fire lane yet. I would trust a 12 year old to push a cart with my two year old. The girls and the tot were never out of their aunt's sight.
So all of you who wonder--imagine what our family is attempting to cope with. No judgment is necessary. We cannot change this tragedy and encourage forgiveness and healing. Jimmy and Anita are grieving the loss of Kayla and are looking at a long road of healing for Miranda physically as well as emotionally.
Please do not make this worse.
Concerned

Alpena, MI

#31 Dec 22, 2009
Florance, please believe that most people are not judging. I will keep all in my prayers. The Aunt is definately not at any fault!!!!! I would allow a 12 year old to push my child out of a store also. This is a very freak accident. Unavoidable by anyone exiting the store.
Florance Paad Johnson

Denver, NC

#32 Dec 22, 2009
I am contacting the parents this evening to see if a carepage or memorial has been set up. If not then I will work on it and keep everyone posted here.
I do not want anyone to think I was chastising but do want people to remember that this is an accident. No adult could have prevented it.
been there

Oscoda, MI

#33 Dec 22, 2009
OscodaGirl wrote:
Does anyone know if there has been a memorial fund or some kind set up in case the family needs anything?...Please let us know on the forum here...thanks
I have set up a donation can along with a bunch of baked goods for sale at the Oscoda Eagles Club.
Praying For All

Oscoda, MI

#34 Dec 22, 2009
I went thru McDonalds in Oscoda this morning and they too are collecting for the family. Please people, give what you can. Spare change is good! I can not imagine what the cost would be for the parents to travel downstate to be with their daughter who is in the hospital, miss work and the monthly household bills will still be coming in! Add to that gas money, money to eat on, funeral expenses... please, please give to this family!!

And I want to add one more comment to those cold, heartless people who keep asking "where were the parents of these kids".... well lets see.... the oldest child was 12. Obviously not old enough to drive herself and the other kids to Glenns. Someone had to take them, right? So I would assume an ADULT drove them, right?! So IF you think about it, there was obviously an adult there with them, right? Do you think the adult with the kids would be to blame for this tragic ACCIDENT because she was a few feet BEHIND the kids as they were walking out of the store? Leave the "where was the mom" questions out of this!

I just heard on channel 11 news that Miranda was doing worse. I pray this is not true! If anyone can post about her condition, please do. Even though I've not met this family my heart is breaking for them. I want to help anyway I can.

May all the Paad family know that they are being covered with prayers right now.
Brittany-friend of family

Marcus Hook, PA

#35 Dec 23, 2009
This is not true channel 11 news lied Miranda is doing much better she is out of a coma and is breathing on her own now...she is moving her hands and feet she has been talking to anita (the mother) and went in for surgery on her face today..i know this is tough because i lost a close friend and family member i just talked to kayla friday night and she asked for my number and i gaver it to her and she was going to call me saturday but i got the tragic call from my mother...i am depressed and think they were at the wrong place at the wrong time. I know there are many people out there that are sad and praying for this family..and me and kaylas other close friend are really friterated because there is a 12 year old same age as us that is saying that kayla derserved to die and this girl was calling her foul names. and this hurts me and this time of the year and all this is so hard to believe this girl still hasnt appologized to us or the family for saying this. it was innapropiate and should have never been said. And the sad thing is is this girls mom didnt even care that her daughter said this about this poor girl that went through a time in life that none of us want our family or friends to go through at the age of twelve.
My prayers are out to the paad family.
This was a close friend and family member of mine..we were sisters fer life and nothing will change that /./..kaykla lin is gone but never forgotten...(_funeral is monday viewing is sunday_)
Ily and miss you hun(kayla)
.....Brittany lynn......a close friend and cousin...and "kayla would say sister fer life."
Brittany-friend of family

Marcus Hook, PA

#36 Dec 23, 2009
i know also that people here in the paad's home town of alpena...for wendseday night pool they are setting up a fund fer the family and are passing it on to the funeral home..witch will be held monday..and sunday is the viewing.
Brittany- family-friend

Marcus Hook, PA

#37 Dec 25, 2009
New information found about myranda----
Her latest MRI has cleared her neck so the neck brace has been removed In addition to the injuries she has a sprained ankle facial lacerations fractured pelvis and a fractured 6th rib Feeding tube has been inserted Still monitoring alot of things her father said not sure wat all she is hooked up to but it is needed Sounds by description to be an arterial line. The breathing tube is still in Taking her off the Fentanyl and starting Morphine Receiving Ativan IV and antibiotics.
Very sad

Mililani, HI

#38 Dec 26, 2009
To Florance Paad Johnson, I NEVER in a million year meant my question as a judgement! NoOne had said anything about the adults with them and I hoped they weren't injured as well. I am praying for all involved.
Praying For All

East Tawas, MI

#39 Dec 26, 2009
VERY SAD, that was very kind of you to reply to your post. Bless you.
My Kids Mom

Alpena, MI

#40 Jan 2, 2010
Is there any news on Myranda? Still praying for her and her family...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oscoda Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Moving from AZ to Oscoda. (Mar '08) Thu 1stRider 12
Greenbush Tavern (Jun '06) Jul 2 Merrill in Saginaw 33
Info on Christine Beardsley (Jan '12) May '17 Got the Picture 88
Lennie Tidwillow (Jan '09) May '17 Lenny Tiddwillow 2
Please help me score in Oscoda. (Jul '15) Jan '17 You know it 3
looking for advice on renting (Aug '14) Jan '17 Bet you didnt know 2
huffing (Feb '10) Jan '17 Yes 3

Oscoda Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance