wkbk channel 11 Alpena

wkbk channel 11 Alpena

Posted in the Oscoda Forum

Watchin TV

Oscoda, MI

#1 Jan 13, 2010
Does anyone watch the news on channel 11 out of Alpena? Why? I know that the staff are entry level people just breaking into broadcasting but, holy cow, the number of mispronunciations of well known names in the state and regularly confusing Oscoda Township with Oscoda County is just amazing.
Don't know what the station owner gets out of his ownership except maybe a tax shelter. Surely he can't be proud of a station whose call letters are said to stand for We Barely Know Broadcasting.
Watchin TV

Oscoda, MI

#2 Jan 14, 2010
I guess nobody does watch the channel 11 news.
chiliman

Dearborn, MI

#3 Jan 14, 2010
Having been in broadcasting in a previous life, I can tell you what you see is common in small markets.

The number of people getting into 'show business' is amazing and many are very raw. But they need somewhere to hone their craft and luckily there are some small market owners who provide that opening.

Unfortunatley some will never get much better and the ones that do hone their craft will move on to better markets.

I am just thankful the station is there to provide a breeding ground and provide local information (albeit less polished than we expect).

Unfortunately, I don't get to watch that station often as I am not in the area that often.
OscodaDreamer

East Tawas, MI

#4 Jan 14, 2010
I watch for the first 10 minutes and then usually change when they try to do network news instead of local news. I want to hear local news on local news channel. There has to be more to report out there than they give us - they just need to dig a little. They remind me of one student that did the morning forcast for the classroom for the week. After looking outside at clear skies, he said "there's no weather out there."
Livin in Oscoda

Oscoda, MI

#5 Jan 15, 2010
I'd be more inclined to watch if it included more news on Oscoda.

While I agree they need someplace to hone their skills, it is appalling how many of them cannot pronounce common words. Their ability to read and their vocabulary level are an issue.

(Specs Howard Grad who decided on another line of work)
Watchin TV

Oscoda, MI

#6 Jan 15, 2010
I generally watch through the weather and then move on. Have to agree with "Dreamer" wanting local news and more of it on the local channel. Even the radio stations are not very good at local news coverage. What this area needs is a local call-in talk show radio program discussing local issues and events once or twice a week?
chiliman

Dearborn, MI

#7 Jan 15, 2010
Make those recommendations to the station manager.

Tell them you are a frequent listener.

If you know of others that feel the same way, have them either add their names to a letter you send to the station manager or contact him separately.

Most times the station manager wants to know what the listeners want - it makes it easier to sell traffic.

If you happen to own a business, offer to provide some advertising to such programming to kick start.

If you have the 'bug', offer to provide field level reporting or whatever (remember these are local stations, they might accept local 'talent'). Who knows, you might have a re-invented future.
kellyfromoscoda

United States

#8 Jan 22, 2010
I only watch the local news (WNEM 5) and FOX for the rest. It is good these kids have a place to start...or move into broadcasting sales.
Be Nice

Alanson, MI

#9 Jul 4, 2010
OscodaDreamer wrote:
I watch for the first 10 minutes and then usually change when they try to do network news instead of local news. I want to hear local news on local news channel. There has to be more to report out there than they give us - they just need to dig a little. They remind me of one student that did the morning forcast for the classroom for the week. After looking outside at clear skies, he said "there's no weather out there."
Starting in small markets and stations is how beginners hone their crafts and gain experience. They don't graduate from school and go directly to Atlanta to work for CNN. Frankly I feel like one of the 6:00 p.m. anchors is very polished, professional and ready to move to a larger market. How much cutting edge news is coming from Alpena? Isn't "forcast" spelled "forecast"? Hmmmmm.
Music Man

Alpena, MI

#10 Jan 27, 2011
Gee whiz. If you want all the glitz, glamor, and polish then move. You also get more of the "news worthy" stuff; murders, hold-ups, rape, muggings, the list goes on. I so enjoy my little TV station. Being a former Flintoid I sometimes watch Channel 12; over a recent weekend, 3 murders. So happy I'm no longer a target.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oscoda Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tawas Jump Town (Dec '09) Jul 3 MITTEN GIRL 3
Thomas Benjamin - Designer - Hale - DO NOT USE (Nov '07) Jul 2 Rambo 8
Info on Christine Beardsley (Jan '12) Jul 1 Got The Picture 82
Oscoda Villages Forum (Aug '11) Jun '16 Wordsmith 38
News Toxic water near old Michigan Air Force base pr... Jun '16 Cadaver 4
News MDHHS to hold community drinking water meetings... Jun '16 Ron 2
huffing (Feb '10) Jun '16 Kelly Cierras mom 2

Oscoda Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance