Air Force base

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

My son was born at the base 20+ yrs ago and we absolutely loved the area. We were thinking of coming back to town to show our kids where he was born. Did they do anything to the vase that would be worth seeing

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Judged:

Air Force base wrote:
My son was born at the base 20+ yrs ago and we absolutely loved the area. We were thinking of coming back to town to show our kids where he was born. Did they do anything to the vase that would be worth seeing
No. I'd save your gas and time.
Air Force base

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I'd save your gas and time.
wow I hate that we loved our time up there we were afraid that would happen when the base closed. Thank you
Negative posters

Lachine, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Air Force base wrote:
<quoted text>wow I hate that we loved our time up there we were afraid that would happen when the base closed. Thank you
I wouldn't pay much mind to the negativity from anonymous posters. There are a lot of great things happening in this area. You'd be better suited to call the visitors bureau or the chamber.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Negative posters wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't pay much mind to the negativity from anonymous posters. There are a lot of great things happening in this area. You'd be better suited to call the visitors bureau or the chamber.
I wasn't being negative about the area. They were specifically asking about the former base in Oscoda.
carol

Toledo, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

Air Force base wrote:
Our son was also born 20+years ago at the base and we are going to visit this weekend on his 24th birthday. We loved Wurtsmith and Oscoda and live only about 4 1/2 hours from there and try and get up there every year or two. Much of the base housing is being rented out and the library is being used. The commissary is a performance center. The old hospital is a VA clinic. The old dorms on the main road are senior housing. They tore down our old house near the main gate (the green and yellow ones), but they left a building and several garages that are used by the fire department.

Go back for a visit!
BornNRaisedOscod a

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

carol wrote:
<quoted text>
Our son was also born 20+years ago at the base and we are going to visit this weekend on his 24th birthday. We loved Wurtsmith and Oscoda and live only about 4 1/2 hours from there and try and get up there every year or two. Much of the base housing is being rented out and the library is being used. The commissary is a performance center. The old hospital is a VA clinic. The old dorms on the main road are senior housing. They tore down our old house near the main gate (the green and yellow ones), but they left a building and several garages that are used by the fire department.
Go back for a visit!
Actually those bldgs and garages by the old main gate are used by the US Forest Service :-)
Theres a couple momuments up at the old visitors center too...I personally appreciate how its overcome failure after the military left.
There is a Yankee Air Museum and Kalitta Air has a lot of 747s out on the runway! Huge ole birds! Oscoda is still worth our time!!:-)
Jay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

BornNRaisedOscoda wrote:
<quoted text>Actually those bldgs and garages by the old main gate are used by the US Forest Service :-)
Theres a couple momuments up at the old visitors center too...I personally appreciate how its overcome failure after the military left.
There is a Yankee Air Museum and Kalitta Air has a lot of 747s out on the runway! Huge ole birds! Oscoda is still worth our time!!:-)
Don't eat the fish, plants, or any animals. Don't drink the well water or anything made from that water
John and Jayne DyeMD

Lancaster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Lived in Oscoda 1973 - 1982. Worked at the hospital as relief Pediatrician Tuesday afternoons and every other weekend. Office practice and Tawas Hospital full time. I liked the Air Base experience, the people of the base, Oscoda, and Tawas. Wish we could get back there more often. I was impressed with the conversion of the Air Base to an adjunct of Oscoda.
Air Force

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2013

Thanks. We were so happy there. When we first got there We went to that park that has the stairs going down the side of the mountian it put me into labor the second day we were in Michigan lol.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2013

Air Force wrote:
Thanks. We were so happy there. When we first got there We went to that park that has the stairs going down the side of the mountian it put me into labor the second day we were in Michigan lol.
Mountain?

Are you sure you were in Michigan??
0sc0da 0bserver

Oscoda, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2013

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Mountain?
Are you sure you were in Michigan??
Iargo Springs!

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2013

0sc0da 0bserver wrote:
<quoted text>
Iargo Springs!
That hardly qualifies as a mountain!
Themom

Greenville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2014

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
That hardly qualifies as a mountain!
We were young and it was a long time ago lol I'm probably just remembering it more impressive than it was. But we thought it was beautiful

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Oscoda Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) Aug 23 Truthisgood 115
Debate: Gay Marriage - Tawas City, MI (Jul '10) Aug 20 SheepForSale 22
Oscoda Villages Forum (Aug '11) Aug 13 lookin to buy 29
looking for advice on renting Aug 3 new to town 1
Will Illegals be Transported Into Oscoda? Jul '14 Oscoda Citizen 1
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Jul '14 gottondas 5,482
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul '14 maeball 169

Search the Oscoda Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Oscoda Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Oscoda People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••