Moving from AZ to Oscoda.

Posted in the Oscoda Forum

Dick Johnson

Phoenix, AZ

#1 Mar 14, 2008
My wife & I are moving to Oscoda & have a couple of questions.
What is the best cell phone service in the Oscoda area?
Is there a mobile home or RV park close by that has monthly rates where we can stay while looking for a home?
Thank you, Dick
anonymous

Redmond, WA

#2 Mar 15, 2008
I don't know the answers to either of your questions, but welcome to northern Michigan. I hope you'll like it up here.

“Good News, and Great Forums”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#3 Mar 15, 2008
Dick Johnson wrote:
My wife & I are moving to Oscoda & have a couple of questions.
What is the best cell phone service in the Oscoda area?
Is there a mobile home or RV park close by that has monthly rates where we can stay while looking for a home?
Thank you, Dick
Well, I can't speak for others, but personally I have used CellularOne for cell phone service for the past 3 yrs, but AT&T has bought them out, so I am thinking of switching to another service. If your bill is 1 day late AT&T charges a $10 fee. CellularOne never did that. There is also AllTell Cell out of Alpena. Old Orchard Park camp grounds has RV lots, with hookups. I don't know what the charges are, but I'm hearing that it is expensive. I looked in the book for a number. but it's not listed as Old Orchard, so the name may have changed. There are many, many homes for sale here. And many, many of them are well worth the asking prices. I have mine listed as well. I'm thinking of moving to the Alpena area. Arizona was my first wish, but real estate is so high there, I have decided to stay in this area. My needs are for a bigger home, and less yard. If you are not familiar with this area, you will love it once re-located here and settled in. The neighbors are great, and so is the lifestyle. If you are outdoors people, there will also be plenty for you's to do. If you need more information, feel free to ask. I'm sure someone here in town will have some answers.
chiliman

Dearborn, MI

#5 Mar 15, 2008
Dick,

Likewise welcome to beautiful Oscoda.

I use Verizon (have for years) and I am happy with them. They are also highly rated by Consumer Reports based on member feedback.

Herre is the URL for Old Orchard Park: http://www.oldorchardparkcampground.com/ .

It is a County (Iosco County) park.

The rates, etc. are on the web page.

There are also 2 RV Parks in Tawas and both are state run I think.

One is right on US-23 in the middle of town(very convenient to stores, etc. Tawas is approx. 20 miles South of Oscoda.

The other is on the point I think and I am not sure if they have large rig spots.

Check with the Oscoda Chamber of Commerce ( www.oscoda.com ) to see what information they have.

If you are planning on buying, this is a good time at the bottom of the real estate curve.

What brings you to Oscoda?
Dick Johnson

Phoenix, AZ

#6 Mar 16, 2008
Thank you Shirley & chiliman for some answers to my questions. The main reason were moving to MI is to be closer to Kids, grandkids, & other relations. Besides, Mesa AZ with almost 1/2 million residents & about that many snowbirds each winter, its too busy. Originally were from Midland.
the guy who moved away

Waltham, MA

#7 Mar 18, 2008
Phoenix huh? I'm down in Tucson and grew up in Oscoda! As far as cell phone service, you should go for Alltel. I've been with them for years without a problem. Avoid NPI Wirless like the plague (if they still exist). RV parks....hmmmmm......Old Orchard is always a nice place. It's about a 10 minute drive from downtown, but only a 2 minute drive from Desi's (best resteraunt in town). The owner's name is Tim Gianetti. Real nice guy.
Seymour1511

United States

#8 Feb 13, 2011
Watch out for the blacks!
Posen Posse

Canton, MI

#9 Feb 16, 2011
Please be careful, there are child molesters in Oscoda.
Please check http://www.familywatchdog.us/ and watch yourself and your family on Maple St.
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

#10 Feb 23, 2011
Posen Posse wrote:
Please be careful, there are child molesters in Oscoda.
Please check http://www.familywatchdog.us/ and watch yourself and your family on Maple St.
Thanks for that site.....you can check out anywhere in america, from it.....
Nick

Alpena, MI

#11 Dec 9, 2011
the guy who moved away wrote:
Phoenix huh? I'm down in Tucson and grew up in Oscoda! As far as cell phone service, you should go for Alltel. I've been with them for years without a problem. Avoid NPI Wirless like the plague (if they still exist). RV parks....hmmmmm......Old Orchard is always a nice place. It's about a 10 minute drive from downtown, but only a 2 minute drive from Desi's (best resteraunt in town). The owner's name is Tim Gianetti. Real nice guy.
Actually it is the worst resteraunt in the whole county.
best three are currently Hsings Garden,los tres amigos & the steak house behind big boys. unfortunately, all located in Tawas. Desi's has gone down hill steadily for a decade. there spaghetti sauce is horrible.. just ask them how they make it. really gross. and there steaks leave much to be desired. the only thing worth eating there is the nachos.. even the meat toppings are too runny and tasteless, expect a bathroom brake within the hour..
it sucks. when the air base was open and i was a kid everyone loved desis.. when i moved back it was a very big disappointment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oscoda Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
mcardle PC DEN Sep 26 Mc Ardles PC Den 1
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Sep 22 JAH 170
MI Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in M... (Oct '10) Sep 22 gamy 97
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) Sep 21 Eldorado 129
unlicensed mechanics Sep 19 maattd2345 1
Oscoda Historical Museum Sep 18 Out of town visitor 1
Travis Sanitation (Oct '08) Sep 13 Disgruntled 23

Oscoda Jobs

Oscoda People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Oscoda News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Oscoda

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]