2 deputies facing off in Republican p...

2 deputies facing off in Republican primary for Polk County sheriff

There are 14 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Aug 26, 2010, titled 2 deputies facing off in Republican primary for Polk County sheriff. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Voters in Polk County, Wis., will choose a new sheriff Nov. 2, and two sheriff's deputies are competing for a spot on the ballot.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Lee james

Jacksonville, IL

#2 Aug 27, 2010
Home invasion and burglary are what citizens are concerned about. It goes along with drug prohibition,keeping drug prices high make people steal to keep high. Let drug users get a job and buy their drugs legaly just like others buy beer.
PC WI Resident-Deanine

Barron, WI

#3 Aug 27, 2010
Leadership in the military very much translates into leadership in business, including government. This is recognized at the university level by business programs such as Franklin University in Ohio. It is important to have a vision of what can be, not only of what is. It is obvious that Tim O’Hare has the vision and leadership qualities to be Polk County Sheriff, including the ability to lead with integrity. That became even clearer to me through the Republican question and answer session that can be found on YouTube Polk County Wisconsin-Sheriff Debate. Letters to the editor in the Amery Free Press also clearly describe and laud O’Hare’s leadership.

I would strongly urge all Polk County residents to decide based on past leadership experiences and not on good ol’ boy politics at the sheriff’s department that have failed to serve and protect citizens of Polk County, WI.
Avg Joe WI

United States

#4 Aug 27, 2010
Sharon, the reference to being a sanctuary state has nothing to do with Minnesota. Polk County is in WISCONSIN.
He is referring to the fact that if an illegal is caught WI social services/public health or other entities are not required or permitted to report them to the proper authorities. So he was explaining his proactive stance on dealing with it as Sheriff in Polk County WI.
Sharon Anderson wrote:
Interesting MN is Sanctuary State: Protection of our Sheriffs mandate the Election of Chris Barden in the REpublican Party for Attorney General www.barden4ag.com altho Sharon4MNAG is trying Write In 2Nov2010
as Sharon is the only Candidate to oppose Shariah Law www.sharonswater.blogspot.com
Informing You in PC WI

Barron, WI

#5 Aug 27, 2010
I live in rural areas that are served by the Polk County (WI) Sheriff’s Department; I have great respect for many individual officers within the department. For the last several years I have had the misfortune to live in a neighborhood that includes a family of criminals-literally. The need for law enforcement has been understandably ongoing, which includes repeated dangerous and disturbing incidences, including unsafe use of weapons, illegal burning, indecent exposure, and unsolved burglaries, not to mention drug charges including Methamphetamine. While I understand there are criminals in the county, I don’t understand the sheriff’s response to this situation and his repeated failure to serve and protect. This is not leadership by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, a failure to serve and protect is not what any professional law enforcement officer would condone.

Investigator Pete Johnson is aware of some of the incidences in the area. He was the investigator who authored part of a report for the sheriff investigating a call that reported an unintended fire in a fire pit. This fire was a mere 10-15 feet away from a brush pile and numerous pine trees and approximately 20-25 feet away from a dwelling. This fact contradicts the assistant fire chief’s report that stated there was a “50’mowed circle around the pit”. Shouldn't an investigator verify the actual facts of a case? Unattended fires (no matter where they are burning) are both illegal and potentially dangerous. Doesn’t Pete Johnson know this? It seems strange that an investigator and a volunteer firefighter would not be aware of this statute. And then, investigate the person who called it in to report the fire for false reporting despite that fact that the offenders admitted that it was “left” unattended from the previous evening. This is a ridiculous, inefficient and ineffective use of personnel. Why wouldn’t he bring this absurd mockery of the law to the sheriff’s attention? That would have been an act of leadership. This case is currently in the process of being dismissed on rule of law. In other words, the party that reported the fire should have never been charged in the first place! The judge said it had taken up enough time and money and DA in response to the judge’s question said he was not going to pursue it.(It’s taxpayer’s money of course!!!)

Yet, Pete Johnson stated in a press release to Kyle Weaver that he has a lot of respect for Moore and there is little he (Johnson) would change. This isn’t leadership. This is more of the same poor attitude towards law enforcement that has come from the top for the last several years.

I expect officers to serve and protect, especially when the offenders are admittedly participating in a direct violation of a Wisconsin statute. This county and its citizens can ill afford more of the same for both financial and personal safety reasons.
Leadership means you point out contradictions and concerns to your superiors. Leadership means you step up and act even when it means making personal sacrifices. Leadership means you work to better circumstances for everyone, not just yourself. My vote will go to Tim O’Hare for sheriff. He demonstrates that leadership this county so desperately needs.
gadfly

Thorp, WI

#6 Aug 27, 2010
YOu missed the fact that O'Hare was responsible for a 2:30 a.m. "test-firing" of a department machine gun, an incident that nearly saw him get charged with violating a noise ordinance. Questionable judgment, to be sure.
Avg Joe WI

United States

#7 Aug 27, 2010
There was no "nearly getting charged" as there was no ordinance that was violated. O'Hare has addressed this numerous times and has always accepted responsibility for assisting a Deputy reassembly his faulty weapon. Now that you have tried to take the focus off of the issues I will ASSIST you in refocusing.
Budget
Drugs
OWI Laws
Illegal Immigrants and the Law
Shall I continue?
How about questions such as how do your Leadership and Qualifications apply to the position? What are you already doing to prepare for the role of Sheriff?

Just a thought
gadfly wrote:
YOu missed the fact that O'Hare was responsible for a 2:30 a.m. "test-firing" of a department machine gun, an incident that nearly saw him get charged with violating a noise ordinance. Questionable judgment, to be sure.
Loser

United States

#8 Aug 30, 2010
O'Hare is the loser who unloaded his weapon for no reason in Balsam Lake, not caring if he injured an innocent victim. He was drunk an disorderly. This kind of shit has to be gotten out of law enforcement.
truth

United States

#9 Aug 30, 2010
Loser is good name for you. Especially if you are going to spread lies about someone you obviously do not know. This is nothing new in this campaign, Johnson supporters are trying every lie in the book to make O'Hare look bad. They know they cannot make Johnson even close to match O'Hare's qualifications and education therefore lies are the battle plan. These people have gone as far as telling people that O'Hare was dishonorably discharged from the military. Now he is a gun wielding drunken danger to society. Loser... keep telling people this, what you and the other negative campaigners don't get-out is that most people are obviously smarter than you and see what you are doing. I myself took time to research and actually evaluate the candidates. O'HARE IS A BETTER CANDIDATE. JOHNSON NEVER TELLS YOU HE HAS NEVER BEEN A SUPERVISOR. HE TELLS YOU HAS BEEN A SGT IN TOMAH PD. HOW MANY YEARS? O'HARE HAS BEEN A SUPERVISOR FOR 22 YEARS.
Pack fan from Balsam Lake

Thorp, WI

#10 Sep 1, 2010
This election comes down to two choices: one perrson who has proven hmself to be a poor decisionmaker and an ego maniac who thinks it appropriate to order a subordinate to discharge a machine gun at 3 a.m. in a small town, and one person who has the personality for the job and realizes the sheriff answers to the taxpayers/voters, not the police union.

Thorp, WI

#11 Sep 1, 2010
O'Hare's speaking on behalf of a deputy who was at fault in wrecking 3 squad cars and later fired for excessive use of fource is all I need to base my decision on.
Set It Straight-

Amery, WI

#12 Sep 1, 2010
Dear Pack Fan; WE in the law enforcement industry are required to testify truthfully when we are under subpoena. Would you have preferred O'Hare ignor the subpoena and be held in contempt of court, or would you have had him lie under oath? It is about integrity; having the courage to tell the truth when it doesn't get you any personal gain. O'Hare did his job, he testified truthfully. I don't know how that qualifies as "speaking on behalf" of anyone. Get your facts straight.

Thorp, WI

#13 Sep 3, 2010
O'hare was asked to give his opinion of the situation. It's his opinion that Swan's actions were appropriate. I don't agree that Swan needed to beat up a drunk driver to make an arrest. This is Polk County Wisconsin, not Fallujah.
Polk

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Sep 20, 2010
Both a couple of right wing nut jobs, what's the difference?
rocky

Boyd, WI

#15 Sep 20, 2010
it will be the lessor of two huge evil beings. Honest people would not support either felon. This department is known for murdering citizens regulkarly. Once they were given the green light to murder by the district attoreny they have been doing there job. Many good people have perished.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Osceola Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Milltown man faces infant abuse charges (Aug '06) Sep '16 Justice For All 7
News Rural hospitals could lose special Medicare pay... (Sep '13) Sep '16 Crappy Medical Staff 7
Vote For Donald Trump (Apr '16) Sep '16 Keep America Safe 2
Hillary Given Antibiotic For Pneumonia Sep '16 Unity Discrimination 1
News Defense: Move girl's throat-slitting case to ju... (Aug '16) Aug '16 Vandeta 1
Hell'o New Richmond come on DA Michael Nisekes ... (Aug '16) Aug '16 Vandeta 1
Kali Bookey (Jul '16) Aug '16 Vandeta 2

Osceola Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Osceola Mortgages