Didn't we just vote on the Fire Depar...

Didn't we just vote on the Fire Department Bond Issue?

Posted in the Osage Beach Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Lake Ozark Resident

Osage Beach, MO

#1 Jul 6, 2012
I have seen road signs regarding the Fire Dept bond issue. Is it on the ballot again?
Concerned

Osage Beach, MO

#2 Jul 9, 2012
Yes, I believe they have put the same bond issue in the upcoming election. I guess the fire department doesn't understand "no".
fire district clueless

Saint Louis, MO

#3 Jul 10, 2012
Let's see, voted down in April of 2012, now taking applications for another 1 or more employees, station and trailer sitting empty in Mead's Flats, 3 chief's working 48 hours straight and then off for 96 hours, sounds to me like they think it is a slam dunk and voters are clueless. I guess they will have to be proved WRONG again.
Tired

Chesterfield, MO

#4 Jul 11, 2012
Seems they just don't get it.
They seem to think that the tax base is an unlimited source of funds forthem to dip into whenever they want to.

They need to learn to be prudent and make best use of the millions of dollars they are getting now and learn to budget just like the rst of us in these hard times.
Stupid

Washington, MO

#5 Jul 11, 2012
Tired wrote:
Seems they just don't get it.
They seem to think that the tax base is an unlimited source of funds forthem to dip into whenever they want to.
They need to learn to be prudent and make best use of the millions of dollars they are getting now and learn to budget just like the rst of us in these hard times.
RIGHT so you must be CLUELESS how a government entity who SAVES YOUR butt when you get hurt or others in your family runs and operates and how their equipment must be up to date and etc.. I would LOVE for every person on here who wants to bash those who HELP us say who they are.. what is your name?! Oh wait you wouldnt say who you are b/c 1. you are an angry ex worker or 2. you want to run your mouth under an anonymous name but have ZERO proof of what you are saying and guarantee you dont show up to the public forums to ask questions. Just so the FD knows there are hundreds in the area who do support your ballot issue and will vote for it and thank you for what you do to help our coummunity and teach our kids. Some people are just ungrateful but it doesnt go unnoticed to those of us who have a brain!
Interested

Tuscaloosa, AL

#6 Jul 11, 2012
The personnel in this particular district work 3 days on and off 4 days?
That is rather odd within a municipal department, but common within the DOD, even with the FLSA fire service provision; overtime would be rather high.
A simple cost analysis should be sufficient enough to show the public what is or is not needed. If the finances aren't available then certain services will not be available.
I read another post in which community members were upset with department members using fire apparatus to "shop" at the grocery store..... I would think that would be a minor concern. Look deeper and see if the department has good response times to emergency calls, performs public education, or trains consistently and effectively. Those are the important areas where the public should show concern, not "milk and bread".
Correct-Mostly

Washington, MO

#7 Jul 12, 2012
Interested wrote:
The personnel in this particular district work 3 days on and off 4 days?
That is rather odd within a municipal department, but common within the DOD, even with the FLSA fire service provision; overtime would be rather high.
A simple cost analysis should be sufficient enough to show the public what is or is not needed. If the finances aren't available then certain services will not be available.
I read another post in which community members were upset with department members using fire apparatus to "shop" at the grocery store..... I would think that would be a minor concern. Look deeper and see if the department has good response times to emergency calls, performs public education, or trains consistently and effectively. Those are the important areas where the public should show concern, not "milk and bread".
Well said, they have great response times and train daily and also great with public education in taking the fire trailer to local schools often and teaching in the classroom as well as having many classes at the FD for citizens. Their OT is actually reduced by working 48 straight and 4 days off. There has never been deception within about what the funds are needed for, and the public forums (meetings) lay it all out for the citizens. Tonight there is 1 at Lake Ozark Fire Sation 1, It was in the Lake Sun and also on this site somewhere. Hope people that dont understand will show up and voice their concerns and their questions instead of coming onto forums like these and bashing those who work hard to save us.(not meaning you). My family and I support our FF's :)
Interested

Northport, AL

#8 Jul 12, 2012
As you can tell I'm not a local and not fully informed about this particular department so I was going off past experience and research as far as Tour of Duty time. I really hope the comunnity members take a more pro-active approach to the Emergency Services providers and not "nickel and dime" them into a bad situation. Best of luck to those in need and also best of luck to the department with the search for an Assistant Chief/Operations and Training.
Ex Fireman

Osage Beach, MO

#9 Jul 12, 2012
someone calculated this out to about $2000 per home last time it was up for a vote. Is that correct? If so, that's ridiculous in these tight times.
Concerned

Osage Beach, MO

#10 Jul 12, 2012
If using the fire equipment to make 'grocery runs' and run to the post office (again on July 3rd at 2 pm)are minor issues, then a responsible chief would stop doing stupid things like that and demonstrate responsible use of today's funds.
Interested

Northport, AL

#11 Jul 12, 2012
Concerned wrote:
If using the fire equipment to make 'grocery runs' and run to the post office (again on July 3rd at 2 pm)are minor issues, then a responsible chief would stop doing stupid things like that and demonstrate responsible use of today's funds.
Seems to me that some members of the community have some kind of issue with the districts administration whether its financial, past failures, or even personal; however; I dont see how grocery runs, post office runs, bank runs, or any other ______ runs is causing a financial hardship.
Take into account that I do not reside in said area so Im not directly defending any actions. But, Im just not understanding how a community member would be so offended by the fact of fire personnel running errands, especially working a 3on 4off shift.

Would you feel differently if the department put a large "Check Your Smoke Detectors Every Month" graphic on the side of the truck? Cause then they arent just going to the post office they are performing a service called public education, then the fuel and time cost become irrelevant. Or maybe when they go to the store, one member stays outside and hands out public education brochures on fire safety and lets children tour the apparatus.
Would that change your mind about using fire apparatus to make errands while on shift?
Correct-Mostly

Washington, MO

#12 Jul 12, 2012
Interested wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems to me that some members of the community have some kind of issue with the districts administration whether its financial, past failures, or even personal; however; I dont see how grocery runs, post office runs, bank runs, or any other ______ runs is causing a financial hardship.
Take into account that I do not reside in said area so Im not directly defending any actions. But, Im just not understanding how a community member would be so offended by the fact of fire personnel running errands, especially working a 3on 4off shift.
Would you feel differently if the department put a large "Check Your Smoke Detectors Every Month" graphic on the side of the truck? Cause then they arent just going to the post office they are performing a service called public education, then the fuel and time cost become irrelevant. Or maybe when they go to the store, one member stays outside and hands out public education brochures on fire safety and lets children tour the apparatus.
Would that change your mind about using fire apparatus to make errands while on shift?
they do allow children to come out and look at the truck when they're out in public, if they arent running calls :) The children in the area love it. They are great men. AND I agree if they have an issue with an administrator maybe they should show up to the board meetings that are PUBLIC and can voice their opinion. But they wont do that because that would require them to get from behind their computer screens where they can run their mouths anonymously and normally without the correct facts and show up face to face. I do not understand how a firefighter going to get food (we all eat) is an issue when they DROP their food at the check out line to leave to go to a call, dont even take it with them! They arent just slacking off not doing their jobs! They offer ride alongs, Im sure those of you who assume they do nothing should go take 1 on a holiday weekend!!!!!!!!!! Or ANY day for that matter!
Correct-Mostly

Washington, MO

#13 Jul 12, 2012
Ex Fireman wrote:
someone calculated this out to about $2000 per home last time it was up for a vote. Is that correct? If so, that's ridiculous in these tight times.
Who was the person that calculated it??!!!! Did it come from the fire dept or their attorney/accountant or from a joker who wants to make ill faced comments that are unfounded?! I would guess the last 1! Maybe 2k for a million dollar home that they have to try and put out if it catches on fire. So the ones with more money dont want to pay for the better quality fire equipment or fire personnel that know what they're doing vs spending less and getting less quality?! Makes NO sense!
Lakeguy

Camdenton, MO

#14 Jul 12, 2012
I live here and will be voting no. The Fire District has plenty of money. Until they start abiding by the election laws I will be voting against anything they propose.

When was the last time they put a notice in the paper regarding an election for their board positions?
Interested

United States

#15 Jul 12, 2012
Curious as to what laws aren't being followed. Could you enlighten me on that subject. Just interested.
Hilarious

Washington, MO

#16 Jul 13, 2012
Lakeguy wrote:
I live here and will be voting no. The Fire District has plenty of money. Until they start abiding by the election laws I will be voting against anything they propose.
When was the last time they put a notice in the paper regarding an election for their board positions?
yea what laws??!!!! You vote no and always have anything regarding the FD I would bet ;) Funny to me.. LOFPD isnt a city ran dept by the way. Thought I would throw that out there!
Serious

Osage Beach, MO

#17 Jul 13, 2012
Nothing hilarious about this. It is very frustrating that the fire district has put the same issue on the ballot twice in one year. They are simply betting that we will 'blink' and this $5,200,000 will pass. That is a lot of money for a small district especially in these lean times.
Clueless

Washington, MO

#18 Jul 13, 2012
Serious wrote:
Nothing hilarious about this. It is very frustrating that the fire district has put the same issue on the ballot twice in one year. They are simply betting that we will 'blink' and this $5,200,000 will pass. That is a lot of money for a small district especially in these lean times.
It did pass by vote just wasnt enough b/c of the special election to go through. That being said they are doing more publicity and informing the public about the issues that were on the ballot the first time and wording it for those who cant seem to understand what money is being spent where and why it needs to be passed. The size of the district?! How much do you know about the calls they run per year and the revenue coming into Lake Ozark's fire district?! Curious have you been to a board meeting? They arent asking for a lot of money from the citizens. Its based off what your home value is, it isnt 2,000 per person! Whoever came up with that statistic needs to show everyone who is interested where they got that from! Sure times are hard but does that mean we want men who are putting out fires in homes or boats or helping those who were hurt in accidents or heart attack patients to suffer and not be able to help you or your family when the time comes b/c their equipment is out of date, some of it 20 yrs old! Maybe we should all educate ourselves on the issue instead of running our mouths over things we know NOTHING about! You sit and say "Oh its just so hard and they just want to milk us", blah blah blah! Really? I have never seen them say anything like that and every reason they have for wanting to pass the bond issue is validated. GO TO THE OPEN FORUMS and show your face and tell them its wasted money! BUT you wouldnt do that b/c you know it isnt true and you sit behind your computer stating things that arent facts! They have been on the radio, in the paper trying to educate the citizens on the bond issue so that its CLEAR where the money is going, all for good and validated reasons. So the FD knows there are many MORE citizens who support you rather than the few who want to mouth over things that are unfounded and or are not true due to their lack of knowledge or those ex employees who have a bad taste in their mouth for being fired. You are supported and you do a great job for our community, thank you for all you do!
Serious

Osage Beach, MO

#19 Jul 13, 2012
To be clear, the issue FAILED in the last election. The voters said no. It is now an insult to the voters to put the same issue on the ballot a few months later.

If the $2000 average per home is incorrect, please tell us what the correct number is.
Clueless

Washington, MO

#20 Jul 13, 2012
Serious wrote:
To be clear, the issue FAILED in the last election. The voters said no. It is now an insult to the voters to put the same issue on the ballot a few months later.
If the $2000 average per home is incorrect, please tell us what the correct number is.
show ME where it is 2000 per home!!!!!!!!!! AND it didnt fail (had majority of votes vs nay), do u read?! AND Not all voters find it as an insult!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Osage Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone know him or about him? Jul 20 Anom 2
Need cleaning help Jul 15 Kirby Klown 4
Eckrich Smoked Sausage, Nathan's Hot Dogs, and ... Jul 14 Beef Man 32
Lake of the Ozarks Cheap Dentures (Oct '10) Jul 7 Abdullah 7
Tash Jun '16 RebelLadi 1
Gold Nugget Junction, info needed. (Jun '13) May '16 Billie Joe 11
Anyone know Nick Besotes and what he is about. (Feb '14) May '16 Nonya Biznes 11

Osage Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Osage Beach Mortgages