James Lumber to shut 4 stores

James Lumber to shut 4 stores

There are 8 comments on the The Flint Journal story from Nov 14, 2006, titled James Lumber to shut 4 stores. In it, The Flint Journal reports that:

James Lumber will close four stores and consolidate to a single site at its current Fenton Road location, Doug Graham Jr., one of the owners said Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Flint Journal.

Frank

AOL

#1 Nov 14, 2006
It's unfortunate that loocal businesses are losing out to large comglomerate merchants. When people started buying foreign cars, the sound of American dollars being sucked overseas will eventually ruin this country, slowly but surely. The government has sold off the American automotive industry, Michigan's largest employer......what's next?
Emma-lee

Banksia Beach, Australia

#2 Jul 24, 2007
I love Avril to she is so cool!!!
Emma-lee

Banksia Beach, Australia

#3 Jul 24, 2007
Does any one know what her E-mail is i want to know it REALLY REALLY BADLY!!!
carpenter dude

Warren, MI

#4 Jul 23, 2008
the grahms finally ran em out of buisiness---lol
Alison

Palm Springs, CA

#5 Feb 6, 2009
At one time, this was a very good ongoing business. Over the years,though, the family running the business were self-centered, treated their employees terrible - one committed sucicide when they cut his pay 1/3 after years of service, and ended up being just loathsome people. The Grahams are now a laughing stock in the community - behind their backs. Too bad.
too bad

Pilot Grove, MO

#6 Feb 12, 2009
this is so sad
john

Macomb, MI

#7 Dec 5, 2012
The above comments are untrue - I worked for the lumber company almost 30 years, there were at least 4 others like me. Our pay and treatment were always superior to the competition. The reason we closed was the 95% drop in building permit activity.

When it came time to close the business all employees were given at least 60 days notice. The fellow that committed suicide had a history of attempts and mental illness. The company did not cut his pay - they did move him from one location to another - the move could have been a trigger but so could the sudden death of his mother just a few months before his death.

I miss working for the Graham and James families - they were very decent people.
Doctor N

United States

#8 Oct 27, 2015
I'm searching for Jeff Ward, who at one time, was the son of an owner. This was in the late 1960's. Does anybody know him?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ortonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Judge Fortinberry caught stealing camaign signs... (Jul '08) Nov 10 Ruined 24
chad from mr. tree dumping garbage in detroit Aug '16 FLINT WATCHIN U 2
News Sewer campaign begins: 'Livable legacy of Orton... (May '15) Aug '15 concerned - 2
Timothy Fulgenzi (Jul '15) Jul '15 Starla 1
Review: Bill's Custom Canvas & Upholstery (May '15) May '15 ThanksfornothingBill 1
Extraactionlee (Apr '15) Apr '15 honey 1
News Mich. mom of fifth-grader stuck in chair says p... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Jorja Fox 1

Ortonville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ortonville Mortgages