Fire destroys Mister Ed's Elephant Mu...

Fire destroys Mister Ed's Elephant Museum

There are 36 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Jul 6, 2010, titled Fire destroys Mister Ed's Elephant Museum. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

A fire at Mister Ed's Elephant Museum destroyed the Adams County candy store Monday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tammy C

Washington, DC

#26 Jul 7, 2010
I am so sad to hear about this. We always stop by Mr. Ed's whenever we are in that area. I am also an elephant collector and cannot imagine the loss from that beautiful collection. We will definitely be out to see the new place. I am so sorry for Ed for this terrible loss.
lov1959

York, PA

#27 Jul 7, 2010
Sorry the place went up in smoke. I guess the popcorn & soda at the York Fair on the grandstand this year will be $25.00,plus tax
18Wills

Dallas, TX

#28 Jul 7, 2010
I purchased the best chocolate pretzels at Mister Ed's 20 years ago. Whenever I visited the area I'd always stop there. Gotwalt can remember customers by face. I had not been there in over five years and he said to me in his jolly voice, "Where have you been?" It's always nice when a shop owner remembers I spent money at his place.
That picture uses a thousand words to reveal how Mister Ed must feel. I know he will be back. 
speechless in Windsor

York, PA

#29 Jul 7, 2010
What a shame, couldn't have happened to a nicer person.I guess what goes around really does come around, Huh Mr.Ed?
I can remember clearly how back in '85 you'd asked to use the phone while picking up your order(you know where from) for the Apple Harvest Festival and you pocketed my diamond engagement ring,which was hidden on a nail behind other order forms and you were the ONLY one who'd been in that area for hours.
Best of Luck you two faced prick.
Jane Y

Italy

#30 Jul 8, 2010
This is my dear cousin. I'm sitting here on a trip to Itay and wanted to find out what happened in York and saw this on the news page. I'm so sad for them. This museum brought them so much joy and so much joy to visitors too! I will be looking for elephants for him to start the rebuilt museum now!
operator

Westminster, MD

#31 Jul 8, 2010
speechless in Windsor wrote:
What a shame, couldn't have happened to a nicer person.I guess what goes around really does come around, Huh Mr.Ed?
I can remember clearly how back in '85 you'd asked to use the phone while picking up your order(you know where from) for the Apple Harvest Festival and you pocketed my diamond engagement ring,which was hidden on a nail behind other order forms and you were the ONLY one who'd been in that area for hours.
Really?? What a loser you are.. and uh you need to let it go dear, its been over 20 years..
operator

Westminster, MD

#32 Jul 8, 2010
I have one of the best memories from Mr.Ed's from last summer.My Aunt from Colorado saw the ad in the paper while she was visiting and we had to go there. Turned out to be the best day EVER! I hope he does re-open in September, she is coming for a visit in October!
Good Luck Mr. Ed!!
Alicia

Charleston, WV

#33 Jul 8, 2010
Only dumb butts leave their engagement ring in sight IF they have to take it off. And if it were him, wouldn't the authorities have done something? Go mind your business...
To the person who said we should all buy an elephant and sent it his way...great idea! This is such a shame, and I glad Mr. Ed can hold his head up high. I never personally went to this museum, and I have lived here all my life. I now have a 1 year old, and when they re-open, I will be there with him...maybe on his 2nd birthday 4 days after re-opening.:) Best of luck with re-building!
bling shming

Philadelphia, PA

#34 Jul 8, 2010
i'm sure there is no way it could have fallen off the nail... but it is always so much easier to blame someone than it is to blame yourself. not saying he did. not saying he didn't...but accept some responsibility
Doug Shope

Bloomsburg, PA

#35 Jul 8, 2010
For many years I've seen the billboard and have driven past Mr. Ed's while visiting the Gettysburg Area. However, I never stopped in or took my children there when they were young. After a visit there with a friend only one year ago, I regretted that I had not done so. What an enchanting and nostalgic little place it was. We spent nearly two hours brousing and selecting candy goods and other small gifts. I am looking forward to the museum's rebirth, and plan to take my two granddaughters there one day while they are still young. Best Wishes for continued success.
Allana Rasmussen

Gettysburg, PA

#36 Jul 9, 2010
My nana introduced this great shop to me. It was always a treat to go there and bring out my sweet tooth. I loved looking at all the elephants and the Pez collection. I guess when I heard what happened I could not believe it, so here I am googling it. My heart goes out to Mister Ed himself, and his family. I will miss the original shop, but know I will love the new one. :)
Allana Rasmussen

Gettysburg, PA

#37 Jul 9, 2010
" What a shame, couldn't have happened to a nicer person.I guess what goes around really does come around, Huh Mr.Ed?
Best of Luck you two faced prick " -Operator

I think so many people out there..above as example..need to realize how important this place was for us. This,"operator" needs to learn that this page is for comments only from people that are willing to admit how great it was for us to have this experience. I think "operator" needs to stop commenting how "bad" he thinks of this place. I love you Ed, and I am so sorry for your loss. As for this Operator..I really would like for you to stop commenting. God didn't create humans to be so rude.
Laseandra Brown

Charlotte, NC

#38 Jul 10, 2010
This is so sad but I know Mr. Ed will jump back asap. The home I grew up in was only 150 feet away from the candy store. I remember as a child, my brothers and I would ride our bikes or walk up to see the elephants or buy our candy with our allowance money. When family would come visit we would immediately take them to Mr. Ed's and it was always a hit. My prayers are with the Gotwalt family and I hope to see you guys again so that when I visit I can bring my child to experience what I did as a child.
cre8vecraftr

Olyphant, PA

#40 Jul 11, 2010
Mr.Ed,
I was really sad to hear about the fire in the museum. I too am an elephant collector and a lover of the animal itself. I have been to the museum twice and was impressed as the number of elephants you had collected. I feel sorry for your loss and I hope that as you are able to search through the debris you find some of the elephants that where of special meaning to you. I like you know where I have gotten most of my elephants and who purchased them for me. I look forward to coming to see the new museum when it is finished. Sincerely, Donna
cre8vecraftr

Olyphant, PA

#41 Jul 11, 2010
Allana Rasmussen wrote:
" What a shame, couldn't have happened to a nicer person.I guess what goes around really does come around, Huh Mr.Ed?
Best of Luck you two faced prick " -Operator
I think so many people out there..above as example..need to realize how important this place was for us. This,"operator" needs to learn that this page is for comments only from people that are willing to admit how great it was for us to have this experience. I think "operator" needs to stop commenting how "bad" he thinks of this place. I love you Ed, and I am so sorry for your loss. As for this Operator..I really would like for you to stop commenting. God didn't create humans to be so rude.
Who ever you are "Operator", I hope that the police look in to your web address. Maybe the fire wasn't so accidental. You sound as if you have such hate in your heart. My experience at Mr. Ed's was much different than yours and I don't think that a man with such a great number of truly valuable pieces would want your trinket. Please leave this man and his family alone to greive their loss and move on to their future. Which is something I see you aren't able to do. IF and I do mean IF Mr. Ed took your engagement ring, he will be judged by God, not me or you. God doesn't make things happen to punish us for our sins or the sins that others think we have done. That judgment comes when we stand before God and God alone. I also see that you never reported the ring missing to the police nor was Mr. Ed charged with theft. LEAVE HIM ALONE.
GLENN WINKLES

AOL

#42 Jul 19, 2010
MR ED
I'VE BEEN AT YOUR STORE SEVERAL TIMES AND WAS ALWAYS HAD A WONDERFUL TIME. I HAVE SERVERAL ELEPHANTS AND WHEN YOU REOPEN WIHICH I HOPE SOON I'LL BE COMMING WITH THEM FOR YOU. I SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR LOSS, BUT I KNOW YOU WILL BE UP AN RUNNING AGIN SOON. LETS HOPE THAT MORE PEOPLE WILL HELP IN YOUR LOST. I KNOWN THAT I'LL BE ASKING FRIENDS IF THEY HAVE ANY ELEPHANTS TO DONATE TO YOUR LOST. JUST MAYBE YOU WILL GET ENOUGH ELEPHANT DONATIONS TO FILL UP YOUR NEW MUSEUM. I KNOW THAT YOU HAD SEVERAL ELEPHANTS THAT NEVER COULD BE REPLACE. JUST REMEMBER YOU HAVE FILL MANY HEARTS WITH SUCH A COLLECTION AND SUCH A LOVELY PLACE FOR ENJOYMENT. AND I KNOW THE NEW ONE WILL STILL BRING IN THE SAME. SEE YOU SOON!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orrtanna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gettysburg Child Rape/Violent/Serious Crime List (Sep '13) Sep 20 Davenport 541
Apartments (Jul '15) Sep 20 Scrud 6
Woman in Gettysburg Arrested Twice in Two Hours... (Jul '15) Sep 19 Steve Gratman 5
News State: Gettysburg substitute teacher allegedly ... (Sep '14) Sep 19 Costard 7
News Former Gettysburg College professor gets prison... (Jul '15) Sep 19 Costard 4
Best cell service in area? (Jul '15) Sep 18 Blub 9
News Biglerville man caught stealing woman's underwe... (Jul '15) Sep 18 Panty Sniffer 6

Orrtanna Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orrtanna Mortgages