Tech center OKs budget with 3.5% rais...

Tech center OKs budget with 3.5% raises for employees

There are 23 comments on the Chambersburg Public Opinion story from Mar 30, 2013, titled Tech center OKs budget with 3.5% raises for employees. In it, Chambersburg Public Opinion reports that:

The Joint Operating Committee of the Franklin County Career and Technology Center approved a $5.843 million budget for the 2013-14 school year that includes 3.5 percent raises for employees.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chambersburg Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
bill rudolph

Carlisle, PA

#1 Apr 2, 2013
HOW CAN THERE BE JUSTIFICATION FOR SUCH AN INCREASE IN VIEW OF OUR FINICIAL SITUTATION , WHEN OTHERS DO NOT EVEN HAVE A JOB AND SOME HAVE NOT HAD A RAISE FOR YEARS.---------

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#2 Apr 2, 2013
bill rudolph wrote:
HOW CAN THERE BE JUSTIFICATION FOR SUCH AN INCREASE IN VIEW OF OUR FINICIAL SITUTATION , WHEN OTHERS DO NOT EVEN HAVE A JOB AND SOME HAVE NOT HAD A RAISE FOR YEARS.---------
This tech center is a crucial part of bringing a technology literate workforce to Franklin County.

I'll never, ever for the life of me understand public opposition to raises - even modest cost of living adjustments - for our educators.

People also tend to get wound up over percentages without considering base salaries. For someone making a modest wage, 3-5% can make a big difference to their job satisfaction with little investment.

There are jobs out there Bill, in Franklin county, right now - just not as much in manufacturing and agriculture. The workforce doesn't have the skills to fill them. The Career and Technology Center is the key to transitioning a manufacturing workforce into the service sector.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#3 Apr 2, 2013
bill rudolph wrote:
Why would you begrudge any worker a cost of living increase? Particularly those who are preparing our kids to be productive workers in the community?

Reminds me of that joke... There are 10 cookies on the table. A CEO takes 9 of them then says to the Tea Partier, "Hey, watch out for that union worker. He wants piece of your cookie."

If you are concerned about people making too much "in view of our financial situation," public school teachers aren't who you need to be criticizing.

Location hidden

#4 Apr 2, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
If you are concerned about people making too much "in view of our financial situation," public school teachers aren't who you need to be criticizing.
Certainly not in all-caps. There's no need to shout, Bill.
Anon

San Francisco, CA

#5 Apr 2, 2013
In light of the current situation...

You mean the one where many states are going to have surpluses because things are starting to improve some?

By listening to some of the local yokles, you'd swear that most people haven't had a $0.10 raise since 2005. How long do you all expect that the public sector workers should go with no raise at all? I'm curious. I really am. 3.5% isn't exactly "dancin' in the streets" type victory for the Tech Center folks. It's probably not even $50/check for some of them.

Location hidden

#6 Apr 3, 2013
I think Bill is just unemployed and bitter. While I do sympathize, perhaps if there was better adult education funding at the Franklin County Career and Technology center, Bill could get some additional skills needed to get a job in such a competitive market. Of course, that could never happen if the center didn't get the funding it needed, nor the personnel to teach the classes.

Just sayin

Since: Jun 08

Not Waynesboro or Hagerstown

#7 Apr 3, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you begrudge any worker a cost of living increase? Particularly those who are preparing our kids to be productive workers in the community?
Reminds me of that joke... There are 10 cookies on the table. A CEO takes 9 of them then says to the Tea Partier, "Hey, watch out for that union worker. He wants piece of your cookie."
Just checking here. Would you begrudge Government workers a small increase in their salary?

Chambersburg, PA

#8 Apr 3, 2013
GenPatton wrote:
<quoted text>
Just checking here. Would you begrudge Government workers a small increase in their salary?
Of course not. Why would I?

#9 Apr 3, 2013
I said just checking. ;) I could sure use one.

Chambersburg, PA

#10 Apr 3, 2013
GenPatton wrote:
I said just checking. ;) I could sure use one.
Tell your legislator. He most likely believes that you aren't a real worker because you work for the government. Your side thinks people like you are sponges who take from real workers and don't contribute anything of value.

#11 Apr 3, 2013
The majority of the Legislators in my state are from "your side". ;)

Chambersburg, PA

#12 Apr 3, 2013
GenPatton wrote:
The majority of the Legislators in my state are from "your side". ;)
What state is that?

#13 Apr 3, 2013
Maryland

Chambersburg, PA

#14 Apr 3, 2013
GenPatton wrote:
Maryland
Good for you. Your representatives are looking out for your interests. Wish I could say the same thing.

#15 Apr 3, 2013
Believe me, as I get closer to retirement I will be looking to move back to my home of record, PA.

Chambersburg, PA

#16 Apr 3, 2013
GenPatton wrote:
Believe me, as I get closer to retirement I will be looking to move back to my home of record, PA.
LOL! I'm sure that decision is based purely on your love of the state and has nothing to do with the fact that your government pension won't be taxed here, huh?

#17 Apr 3, 2013
Well, being born and raised in PA, there is still some love for the Commonwealth.

#18 Apr 3, 2013
and the more, MD restricts my rights, the more I think I may move sooner.

Chambersburg, PA

#19 Apr 3, 2013
GenPatton wrote:
and the more, MD restricts my rights, the more I think I may move sooner.
How are your rights being restricted in MD?

#20 Apr 3, 2013
The right to bear arms. Here again we disagree.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orrtanna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gettysburg Bike Week July 6-9 17 hr Pink Eye 8
News Protests planned at Gettysburg battlefield this... 22 hr D Bo 7
News Well, It Looks Like Progressives Decided Not To... Jul 13 Fitus T Bluster 7
Gettysburg Child Rape/Violent/Serious Crime List (Sep '13) Jul 10 Gettysburg 1 percent 564
News Police log (Oct '08) Jul 1 Michael martz 6
Blue and Gray Bar & Grill is NOT the worst plac... (May '12) Jun 27 Troll Davenport 55
News Police log: Subject defecated on a porch Jun 26 Steve Gratman 5

Orrtanna Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orrtanna Mortgages