Why does music from 2010 on sound so ...

Why does music from 2010 on sound so fake and plastic?

Posted in the Orrington Forum

The Traveler

Seal Cove, ME

#1 May 13, 2012
Now don't get me wrong. I know every generation things that that next generations music sucks. I know this because I'm in my 40s and when the 1980s ended I hated grunge rock. I actually thought it was fake sounding even though it was supposed to be dark sounding. But I didn't hate all of the 1990s. When the 2000's came I started liking music again. Though some of it still wasn't to my taste. I just feel that 80s music had more bite, depth, and charisma. Though some 80s stuff could be shallow too. But since 2010 on, man music sounds so generic. Even the deep stuff sounds sort of fake and computer generated. For example even songs like "Glad You Came" by The wanted seems to be touching and deep but at the same time it's rather hallow, empty, and soulless. A lot of music these days seems like it was created by machine rather than man. Just cranked out pop and rock tunes with no depth or guts. Sure it's tunes are catchy and a lot of people love it but there is just something missing and very wrong. Between 2010 to 2012 a lot of catchy up tempo songs have been generated but it all seems rather fake, phoney, and pointless. Even if I was a teenager these days I still wouldn't like it. I don't mind it playing in the background if I'm at the store, mall, or where ever but when I'm actually partying this type of music seems to drain me emotionally and not uplift me at all. Sure people like to dance to the catchy beats but where's the flavor? It's all substance and no depth. Not to sound like a Star Trek Nerd but it reminds me of an episode in which Kirk met this being named Tralane that had to power to create grand fire places, glasses of wine, and glorious food, however the fire gave off NO heat, the wine had no bouquet, and the food had no taste to it. It was all rather pretty but lacking in any depth what so ever. Any depth that a person gets from todays music seems to only come from them and not the actual song. Then again a lot of people today seem to be acting pretty soulless if you ask me. I'm not saying all music today sucks but man there is way too much auditory sewage being cranked out. Then the singer hides behind voice altering wha wha and pitch altering synthesizers. It's all rather toooooo bubble gum and even then bubble gum actually has flavor. How many cliche' Whoooo hooooo's can we listen to, how much can we stand of songs that only consist of 5 notes played in repetition??? It's like the recording industry analyzed all the songs they possibly could, extracted all the cliche' popular sounds and tones and then started mass producing music with some formula. It sounds all good to take the best of all music right??? But no, it sucked the lifeforce out of music today. I've gotten bored of classic rock and have been listing to stuff made after 2000 but man music from 2010 on just sucks. They are attempting to be deep yet light but it comes off as shallow and hollow.

“E A D G B E”

Since: Oct 10

3rd String is the G String

#2 May 17, 2012
The reason could be because the bar has been lowered so low, it is lower than a snake's belly.

The music industry has ruined music. It is all about money. Many artist with lots of talent, will make a fast deal and give up the music they love. all for a few minutes of fame. And, it is fleeting because the audience is fickle. People like Lady GaGa, Justin B, Taylor Swift,etc etc, will not even come close to being remembered 50 years from now.
You can bet the artists today will not ever be having any 50 year reunion tours.

“E A D G B E”

Since: Oct 10

3rd String is the G String

#3 May 17, 2012
But, to really answer the question, I can't give a technically good answer, because I don't listen to much of today's music. Just enough to know, I never will waste my time listening to it.
Music Man

Lexington, KY

#4 Dec 2, 2012
Cab Calloway, Glenn Miller, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Madonna, U2, these artists will be remembered.

Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, One Direction, Neon Trees, these "artists" are here today, gone tomorrow (hopefully!).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orrington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What time do most Americans eat Dinner? (Aug '12) Jun 7 Schut Gunfinity 11
Why is Maine in the wrong time zone? (Jun '12) May 31 Kenerai 4
the real truth about the jews (Dec '16) May '17 Davy 3
Bangor Maine Sucks (Nov '11) May '17 Gilbert 339
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Maine (Dis... (Oct '10) Nov '10 Jim 18
News New Orrington fishway dam works 'perfectly' (Oct '08) Oct '08 Paul 1
News Fire in Bucksport Deemed a Close Call (Sep '08) Sep '08 trisha mastin 1

Orrington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orrington Mortgages