Maine Cancer Rate Highest in U.S.

Posted in the Orrington Forum

Roger That

Biddeford, ME

#1 Apr 28, 2009
Someone you know has cancer.
•Maine has the highest incidence of cancer in the United States.
•More than 40 percent of Maine’s population resides within EMMC CancerCare of Maine’s service area in northern and northeastern Maine.
•Cancer rates for individuals within the EMMC CancerCare of Maine's service area are the highest in Maine.
•More than 7,000 patients receive cancer treatment at EMMC CancerCare of Maine each year, and that number has been steadily increasing.
http://emmc.org/splash_championthecure.aspx...
housefrau

Cato, NY

#2 Jun 24, 2011
Mainers don't know that Maine is the highest state with the highest rate of cancer. Mainers live unhealthy lives, they burn wood, burn trash outside, don't eat healthy and smoke, drink and do lots of drugs. Dumb asses....
Dee

Weehawken, NJ

#3 Jun 25, 2011
housefrau wrote:
Mainers don't know that Maine is the highest state with the highest rate of cancer. Mainers live unhealthy lives, they burn wood, burn trash outside, don't eat healthy and smoke, drink and do lots of drugs. Dumb asses....
I live in Maine and I dont burn wood, burn trash drink or do drugs and I eat healthy and exercise regularly. As a matter of fact everyone I know does too. I highly doubt your comments have anything to do with why the states cancer rate is high.
housefrau

Pittsfield, MA

#4 Jun 26, 2011
Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in Maine and I dont burn wood, burn trash drink or do drugs and I eat healthy and exercise regularly. As a matter of fact everyone I know does too. I highly doubt your comments have anything to do with why the states cancer rate is high.
Maine is a poor state. no jobs, low education and unhealthy lifestyles. You will find illness in this group no matter what state, however, Maine is one of the states with the highest cancer rate. Do you have any research that indicates otherwise?
Princes Mommy

Ormond Beach, FL

#5 Aug 23, 2011
housefrau wrote:
"Dumb asses, eh"? Ignorance relies on vague (usually wrong)generalities. Maine has a lot of industry($$$) related to forrestry -> pulp and paper mills,etc.- which pollute water and deplete air cleaning trees if not managed properly. Who does most of the managing? Out-of-staters. Have you gone paperless yet? Visitors come to see colorful summer and changing fall leaves (tourism related businesses and pollution). Maine shellfish (lobster, etc.) and other seafood are a primary industry worldwide and can cause cancer. Many Mainers can't afford serving them to our own families.
housefrau

Northville, NY

#6 Aug 23, 2011
Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
d

I would like to move to your town. Sounds like utopia. What town do you reside in? Maybe you should visit the boon docks of Maine, anywhere north of Augusta.
housefrau

Northville, NY

#7 Aug 23, 2011
Princes Mommy wrote:
<quoted text>
"Dumb asses, eh"? Ignorance relies on vague (usually wrong)generalities. Maine has a lot of industry($$$) related to forrestry -> pulp and paper mills,etc.- which pollute water and deplete air cleaning trees if not managed properly. Who does most of the managing? Out-of-staters. Have you gone paperless yet? Visitors come to see colorful summer and changing fall leaves (tourism related businesses and pollution). Maine shellfish (lobster, etc.) and other seafood are a primary industry worldwide and can cause cancer. Many Mainers can't afford serving them to our own families.
so what's your point? People in Maine just don't like change and they are isolated from the real world. I have lived away and I have lived in maine and it maine never changes.
babs

Raymond, ME

#8 May 31, 2012
housefrau wrote:
<quoted text>
so what's your point? People in Maine just don't like change and they are isolated from the real world. I have lived away and I have lived in maine and it maine never changes.
Ok housefrau...so that's why people from all over the country/world...many very highly educated and wealthy people visit Maine, own homes here whether year round or seasonal...because they are "isolated" and don't like change... and this "change" you speak of... should it be like NY? We will pass...glad you live where things are so wonderful
Austin

Berwick, ME

#9 Oct 4, 2012
Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey a-hole i'm a Mainer and I don't do half that shlt. I smoke and drink cuz i'm a man and not some little bitch, get your shlt right. Dumb ass.
Austin

Berwick, ME

#10 Oct 4, 2012
housefrau wrote:
Also Stephen King lives here, so we all so uneducated aint we?
Tim from maine

Bangor, ME

#11 Oct 25, 2012
Lived here all my life, i agree with Austin, mainers are for the most part, hardworking People, who do their best with our seasonal work, I might add,damn hard work, while you set up there in kapootsie n.y eating our blueberries, and scallops,lobsters,clams.ect... .I know ,your gonna say i been there ,done that,come on down ,the coffee is on, Oh, and the hospitality is great, We are not judging you,Industry is among the culprits,,this is about a terrible disease,which i have been there, done that ,2X,all while supporting my family, walk a mile in a mans shoes ,hope god can give some guidance in narrow minded thoughts one has, Oh! we also have religon!
krzystoff

Highett, Australia

#12 Feb 18, 2013
@Austin, Stephen King has an Arts Degree -- no disrespect to the guy, he's a hugely successful writer -- however, any University graduate will attest to the fact that an Arts Degree is not proof of intelligence.

@Princes Mommy, I strongly suspect, given Maine is most famed around the world for shellfish, that it is closely linked to the high rate of cancer -- those people who cannot afford to feed it to their kids are all the better without it.
leaving maine

United States

#13 Nov 7, 2014
housefrau wrote:
You hit the nail on the head. The only thing I will add is Mainers have a give me mentality. Many of them are haters of people from away and or people with money. They hate change and have a "Maine attitude" I will be moving away for the second and last time. I have lived in many States and maine is the most welfare mindset state I have ever lived in. No wonder many of the kids move away...
Elmer Fudd

Athens, ME

#14 Nov 12, 2014
leaving maine wrote:
<quoted text>
You hit the nail on the head. The only thing I will add is Mainers have a give me mentality. Many of them are haters of people from away and or people with money. They hate change and have a "Maine attitude" I will be moving away for the second and last time. I have lived in many States and maine is the most welfare mindset state I have ever lived in. No wonder many of the kids move away...
Gee I wonder while they would not like people from away?
Moving away

Intervale, NH

#15 Feb 27, 2015
Elmer Fudd wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee I wonder while they would not like people from away?
Jealousy, envy, resist change. They see out of staters as a threat instead of as Americans. Instead they should embrace them as everyone who moves here helps stimulate the stagnant economy.
timmy bimmy

Orland, ME

#16 Tuesday Mar 31
Moving away wrote:
<quoted text>
Jealousy, envy, resist change. They see out of staters as a threat instead of as Americans. Instead they should embrace them as everyone who moves here helps stimulate the stagnant economy.
Yes x1000. I have lived in DC, NJ, and VT, and by far, ME is the bottom of the pile. That's right: I'd rather live in New Jersey. I have never encountered a more closed-off, ignorant, reactionary, and defensive mindset *as the culturally standard attitude* as in Maine. I don't agree that this has anything to do with a "welfare mentality" -- if anything, the lack of development here by the capitalist class, who simply ignore working Mainers' problems (and encourages them to hate immigrants and resist the redistribution of wealth that obviously they would benefit from enormously), is the bigger culprit here -- but talk about a place that has not advanced far beyond the Industrial Revolution. It's like the 18th century in most Mainers' heads. I hate this place with a passion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orrington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Revenue sharing uncertainty clouds debate on lo... Sun sandman21 1
Why are people from New England so high mainten... (Jul '12) Apr 24 hillbilly 18
obnoxious relatives Apr 24 caregiver 1
What city in Maine is the best city to live in? Apr 20 Meeko2005 1
News OUI checkpoint in downtown Bangor nets 3 arrests (Jul '14) Apr 13 Henu 3
sleeping prophet (Jun '12) Apr 6 no one 25
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Maine (Dis... (Oct '10) Nov '10 Jim 18
More from around the web

Orrington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]