Ground broken for Harrison Stadium renovations

Full story: Oroville Mercury-Register

Community members gathered Friday morning to celebrate a historic occasion. In a ceremony at Harrison Stadium, current and former athletic coaches, city council members, Oroville Union High School board members, parents and students, all celebrated the beginning of construction on the athletic venue, which will undergo $12 million in renovations.
Comments
1 - 20 of 42 Comments Last updated Feb 9, 2011
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Buba Dump

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2009

all i can say is YEEESSSS!!!! This will be awsome!!!! I cant wait.

“I'm Not Grumpy, I'm in Pain.”

Since: Feb 09

Butte County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2009

What a waste.
Schools have no money, teachers are being laid off in droves, graduates are academically ignorant, yet we are saddled with this $12M white elephant.

$2M just for the parking lot. That would pay 10 teachers for two years.

I'll bet it goes to $20M before it's all over.
Waste of money

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2009

I agree with you South County, makes no sense to spend all of this money on something that will be used a total of about 3 monyhes a year
gary

Ukiah, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2009

Well, the voters had the final say, and they said that he stadium was more important than their children's education. What other reason could there be for passing something like this during recessionary times? Maybe some of the teachers being laid off can get part time jobs selling refreshments during the games! Go figure..........
hey dump heads

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2009

hey idiots the money was floated with a bond measure. Nothing to do with the school district money problems. This is paid for by the tax payer, not the schools!!
gary

Ukiah, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2009

hey dump heads wrote:
hey idiots the money was floated with a bond measure. Nothing to do with the school district money problems. This is paid for by the tax payer, not the schools!!
Oh, well by all means, I guess that makes it okay then. I guess that's a different kind of money, huh? Your revelation doesn't change the fact at all that it is a complete waste of money at a time when there is none to waste.......Of course, if you are a renter, then it doesn't come out of your pocket, does it???????

Butte County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

hey dump heads wrote:
Where do you think the schools' money comes from? The vast majority comes from...the taxpayers.

Who is going to pay to maintain this thing once it is built? The taxpayers.

Other bond measures in the past that would have paid for teachers and classrooms have failed.

A slim majority of voters chose it, I guess they can afford to pay for it while the education of their children suffers.
Barry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

South County wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you think the schools' money comes from? The vast majority comes from...the taxpayers.
Other bond measures in the past that would have paid for teachers and classrooms have failed.
A slim majority of voters chose it, I guess they can afford to pay for it while the education of their children suffers.
And watch when the price to do this gets higher, who is going to do the complaining, the people that voted it in.
Smell the Roses

Oroville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

The bond has already been passed, so for those of you that are still sniffling, too little, too late. Embrace the future and what it holds. Lets look forward to a future of star athletes who now have an opportunity to expand their horizons!
I Wonder

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

Ha! They broke ground on the Veteran's park too.
hey bone heads

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

The money comes from you and I becasue we voted to pass the bond. You cannot say the school district is spending money it does not have because it is noyt their money!! You are a Bone head
1sdd

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

sd
Boo Radley

Oroville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

South County wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets be honest, Oroville doesnt deserve anything nice. Despite this recession, Oroville will still remain a dump of a town.
Smell the Roses

Oroville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

Boo Radley wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets be honest, Oroville doesnt deserve anything nice. Despite this recession, Oroville will still remain a dump of a town.
And you should remain in your single wide trailer on the eastside of Chico.......Boo who!
Barry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

Boo Radley wrote:
<quoted text>
I moved to Oroville about 5 years ago, and it has turned itself around a lot in the last few years. I never considered it a dump and never will. Sure it didn't have a lot of things that were available in Chico, but its starting to get better, hopefully it will only get better.

Butte County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2009

hey bone heads wrote:
The money comes from you and I becasue we voted to pass the bond. You cannot say the school district is spending money it does not have because it is noyt their money!! You are a Bone head
All of the school money comes from you and I in one way or another. I'll be paying for it even though I voted against it.

I would have happily voted for a measure that paid for actual educational facilities and staff.

Instead, future generations of Oroville boneheads will have an overpriced facility to enjoy thier five minutes of fame.

Butte County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2009

Barry wrote:
<quoted text>
And watch when the price to do this gets higher, who is going to do the complaining, the people that voted it in.
Of course. It will be interesting to see how the voters react when it goes over budget.
And How

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2009

About time! Oroville needs this to bring some pride to their football teams. Maybe an LP and Oroville combined squad could score a couple of touchdowns on Paradise next year, but I doubt it! PHS wins the section title again next year. Remember Oroville, it is discipline that wins football games. That is one thing that will not be found in either school though, so perhaps using that money to expand the juvenile hall would benefit those kids more. Get them ready for their real future.

Since: Mar 09

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2009

at least there-your bond money is going where it was intended...dont ask where ours went! jjon-chico
I Wonder

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2009

Boo Radley wrote:
<quoted text>
And if we're lucky, the carpet baggers will all move back to the Bay, and us locals can purchase their foreclosed upon homes at great prices!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Oroville Discussions

Search the Oroville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 6 hr seekers 4,900
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 6 hr Pole swap 7,855
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 12 hr Orange Cove cow licker 200,366
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 13 hr rain or snow to slow 15,928
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Jul 28 snodder 2,252
Blaze kept to 4 acres on Plumas Avenue in Oroville Jul 27 Steven Jenkins 1
Council continues Walmart appeals (Dec '10) Jul 26 Randy 48
•••
•••
•••
•••

Oroville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Oroville People Search