Teen motorist sentenced for manslaughter

Teen motorist sentenced for manslaughter

There are 52 comments on the Chico Enterprise-Record story from Jan 29, 2010, titled Teen motorist sentenced for manslaughter. In it, Chico Enterprise-Record reports that:

Decrying the rise of alcohol-related traffic fatalities among college students, a Butte County judge Thursday sentenced a teenage motorist who caused the death of his best friend to one year in jail.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chico Enterprise-Record.

Turbo

United States

#22 Jan 29, 2010
Don wrote:
What a travesty! He kills his best friend, who will be dead for approximately forever,and he gets one year! That should make the family of the dead boy feel a whole lot like he just popped back to life!
Now, the judge wants him to speak on local campuses! What if he was a child molester, would they want him on campuses. What makes these judges think that after you commit a crime you're suddenly qualified to speak to children? He should be FORBIDDEN from speaking to kids. I can see it now, this will be a water-cooler, "did you hear about...?"
Don, you are not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Chico LIB

United States

#23 Jan 29, 2010
Why isn't anyone blaming the cops in all this. I thought this was a Lib blog.
not a conspiracy

Chico, CA

#24 Jan 29, 2010
Curtis wrote:
<quoted text>
Don, you should be FORBIDDEN from ever posting a comment on the internet. You are incapable having having an intelligent thought. This is why you will never be a judge.
This is a reasonable sentence for this young man. If he follows all of the judges direction he'll be able to turn his life around and perhaps give something back to make up for his mistakes.
When your child is the one who is dead. You can say this is a reasonable sentence. While this live boy is out among campus's singing his do not drink and drive, the other boy will still be dead. This live boy will possibly have a wife and children of his
own one day. His best friend will still be dead. 120 days in jail and the rest of his sentence in a half way house, speaking to those who should already know not to drink and drive. This sentence is a slap on the hand, and that is a travesty.
Similar Sentencing

Chico, CA

#25 Jan 29, 2010
A similar case made front page news of the Klamath
Falls Oregon Herald this week. An excerpt reads:
"A Klamath Falls man who drove drunk and hit and killed a man will spend 150 days in jail and perform 450 hours of community service for the crime. Armando Lara, 28, was sentenced Friday in Klamath Falls Circuit Court after pleading guilty Thursday to criminally negligent homicide and drunken driving in the Feb 16 2008 death of 73-year old Gary Keppen. Keppen was walking along Eldorado Avenue when he was struck by Lara's pickup. He died of the injuries...In addition to
jail time Lara is required to pay $4382 in restitution to the Keppen family and serve five
years probation. If he violates probation, he would be sent to prison for three years...The Keppen family also supported the decision...As part of his community service Lara will be presenting for victim's panels and to youth through programs such as Mothers Against Drunk Driving. The judge stated, "I would like to impose
more because I think it would be appropriate, but that's all that's allowed to me by state statute."
Don

Chico, CA

#26 Jan 29, 2010
Chico No Mo - wrote:
<quoted text>
Get a clue... Drunk driver = sex offender NOT!
This is a horrible incident that needs a positive result. Nothing will bring the boy back but by showing this example others may learn from it. Prison will NOT help the driver... but being an example may help bring his self worth back... He has to continue to live and as positive as possible.
So maybe we should put him in the stockades and let people see how guilty he is then throw rotten vegetables to him. Listen- you may learn something. There is a reciprocal effect from parading criminals in front of kids. The world would be very simple if your idealistic innocence could only make all little boys and girls who listen to him tell his story of terror and how sorry he is and they shouldn't do it. That works really in B movies and in Disneyland.
Will his canvassing schools for audience change a mind, no. Will he make others who already don't drink stand up for what they believe in and cheer him on to recovery? NO doubt about that. But NOMO, there is another whole group with several sub groups that you have left totally unaccounted for. There is another group who look at repentant confessors and understand that nothing is so bad with drunk driving, "HEck if I get caught, I can just go around to a few schools and be a hero just like that guy" This coming from a kid who probably knows NO OTHER WAY TO GET FAMOUS not sports not academics, and drugs and alcohol might be part of his life. His best friend sits beside him and agrees "Heck, if I get addicted or cause problems I'll just turn myself around later just like he did."
You make your best point in your first sentence molester does not equal drunk driver. However, if you think before you react, you might see that on a level, both have committed crimes, both crimes are regular parts of children's lives, and if you can understand why you DON"T SEE THEM AS EQUAL, you will understand exactly why I wrote them together. Drunk driving killed a boy- killed him. Does that make it a good crime? DOes that make it excusable? If the perpetrator is really really sorry, do we just shake a finger at him and say no-no?
What about the family of his best friend? What about his best friends friends? Are you speaking for all of them too when you start moralizing? You may not like the prison system, what's your next choice. YOu are about to see about 40,000 convicts turned lose, which ones will you move next door to you?
Maybe I'm not the only one who needs to get a clue.
Don

Chico, CA

#27 Jan 29, 2010
Turbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Don, you are not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
I never wanted to be the sharpest knife in any drawer, I will leave that to you. But it's obvious I got you beat clicheman.
Don

Chico, CA

#28 Jan 29, 2010
Curtis wrote:
<quoted text>
Don, you should be FORBIDDEN from ever posting a comment on the internet. You are incapable having having an intelligent thought. This is why you will never be a judge.
This is a reasonable sentence for this young man. If he follows all of the judges direction he'll be able to turn his life around and perhaps give something back to make up for his mistakes.
You, sir, cannot even define intelligent thought. What is a non-intelligent thought? You don't even understand the process of thinking and purport to decide what is reasonable and not reasonable? I have no desire to be a judge, where did that come from?
How do you make up for a mistake? I want to hear this one. How do you make the mistake meaningless? How do you make a mistake disappear? He can add something TO what he has done but he CANNOT make up for it. This isn't a savings account where you put crime in then redeem it with some substitute act down the road. We have a 17 year old in Oroville doing 22 years for shooting a gun in the ceiling of a classroom, and you think a year is enough time for killing a best friend drunk? Do you think it's possible in America to NOT know that alcohol is illegal to 18 year olds? Do you think it's possible to NOT know that driving drunk is illegal? Do you think it's possible to NOT know, for a high school kid who takes health in order to graduate, that the number one killer of teenagers is drunk driving? All this and you want to take it easy one the boy? HE hasn't even begun to pay for what he has done and you want him to skate?
Come on Mr. Expert on thoughts and reasonableness, let's hear what you have to say.
Magalia resident

AOL

#30 Jan 30, 2010
dayve wrote:
Man.... i had to do 1 whole dam year for my 2nd DUI.... and i didnt hit anybody i was a block away from my house. Must be nice to be a white kid in this town. You get sympathy for killing somebody...... I hope he gets caught drivin drunk again and kills the judges loved one or something i will laugh so hard....
Geez, get off the pity pot and stop trying to use the race card. Its old and dead. Is there ANY positive in you anywhere? BTW, you got lucky that you didnt kill someone drinking and driving. You should appreciate the fact that the law got YOU off the road before YOU killed someone with your reckless behavior. Maybe if this kid had been ticketed before he might have thought twice about drinking and driving. YOU on the other hand got a dui and went out and did it again. NO excuse for you. You knew better and it was documented. Go play mean somewhere else. Also, would you really laugh if someone got killed? You need mental health help.
ROFLMAO

Chico, CA

#31 Jan 30, 2010
"Moral of the story; If you are going to murder somebody make sure that you do it while drunk and behind the wheel of a car."

Amen, you forgot to say make sure you do it in Butte County. How does ones justify a year in jail for killing someone, clearly, it was not an accident, the kid was drunk and the last time I checked driving drunk was illegal.

The teacher is probably a relative of our upstanding DA.
Magalia resident

AOL

#32 Jan 31, 2010
ROFLMAO wrote:
"Moral of the story; If you are going to murder somebody make sure that you do it while drunk and behind the wheel of a car."
Amen, you forgot to say make sure you do it in Butte County. How does ones justify a year in jail for killing someone, clearly, it was not an accident, the kid was drunk and the last time I checked driving drunk was illegal.
It IS an accident as long as it was not premeditated. Do you think this kid KNEW what was going to happen? Geez, do your homework before you spout off. If it had not been an accident he would have been charged with murder in the 1st degree, thats what premeditated means. He certainly didnt PLAN (premeditate) killing his friend, it was an ACCIDENT!
Magalia resident

AOL

#33 Jan 31, 2010
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
So maybe we should put him in the stockades and let people see how guilty he is then throw rotten vegetables to him. Listen- you may learn something. There is a reciprocal effect from parading criminals in front of kids. The world would be very simple if your idealistic innocence could only make all little boys and girls who listen to him tell his story of terror and how sorry he is and they shouldn't do it. That works really in B movies and in Disneyland.
Will his canvassing schools for audience change a mind, no. Will he make others who already don't drink stand up for what they believe in and cheer him on to recovery? NO doubt about that. But NOMO, there is another whole group with several sub groups that you have left totally unaccounted for. There is another group who look at repentant confessors and understand that nothing is so bad with drunk driving, "HEck if I get caught, I can just go around to a few schools and be a hero just like that guy" This coming from a kid who probably knows NO OTHER WAY TO GET FAMOUS not sports not academics, and drugs and alcohol might be part of his life. His best friend sits beside him and agrees "Heck, if I get addicted or cause problems I'll just turn myself around later just like he did."
You make your best point in your first sentence molester does not equal drunk driver. However, if you think before you react, you might see that on a level, both have committed crimes, both crimes are regular parts of children's lives, and if you can understand why you DON"T SEE THEM AS EQUAL, you will understand exactly why I wrote them together. Drunk driving killed a boy- killed him. Does that make it a good crime? DOes that make it excusable? If the perpetrator is really really sorry, do we just shake a finger at him and say no-no?
What about the family of his best friend? What about his best friends friends? Are you speaking for all of them too when you start moralizing? You may not like the prison system, what's your next choice. YOu are about to see about 40,000 convicts turned lose, which ones will you move next door to you?
Maybe I'm not the only one who needs to get a clue.
Don, How do you know that his speaking at schools wont change a thing? Disneyland and B movies? Thank whatever god you believe in that this man doesnt make the laws. Also, dont you think his best friends were also the same? Do you hear them calling for his blood? Do you hear the family of the deceased calling out for his blood? No, you dont. You dont know this kid and neither do I so how can you make judgements like that? We arent talking about a seasoned criminal, we are talking about a young man who made a very very bad mistake in judgement, look what it got him. Maybe YOU should learn from that. A no-no is not all he got, he got a life time sentence of knowing what he did and living with it among other things.
Don

Chico, CA

#34 Jan 31, 2010
Magalia resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Don, How do you know that his speaking at schools wont change a thing? Disneyland and B movies? Thank whatever god you believe in that this man doesnt make the laws. Also, dont you think his best friends were also the same? Do you hear them calling for his blood? Do you hear the family of the deceased calling out for his blood? No, you dont. You dont know this kid and neither do I so how can you make judgements like that? We arent talking about a seasoned criminal, we are talking about a young man who made a very very bad mistake in judgement, look what it got him. Maybe YOU should learn from that. A no-no is not all he got, he got a life time sentence of knowing what he did and living with it among other things.
Look, read my letter again and learn something. I have been in the classroom for a long time and I have seen this over and over again. I speak from the expertise of experience, you crow from lacy platitudes. You don't know what the other kids are saying, but I do, they're saying it all. Some are saying let him go and others are saying hang him. I have seen a campus riddled by the death of a classmate. If you had seen that you wouldn't say such naive things. If you think it was his first time drunk driving, guess again. I don't need to look to anyone else's reaction to make my decision- DRUNK DRIVING IS THE NUMBER ONE CAUSE OF TEEN DEATHS. Say that over and over.
Chico No Mo -

Coos Bay, OR

#35 Jan 31, 2010
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
Look, read my letter again and learn something. I have been in the classroom for a long time and I have seen this over and over again. I speak from the expertise of experience, you crow from lacy platitudes. You don't know what the other kids are saying, but I do, they're saying it all. Some are saying let him go and others are saying hang him. I have seen a campus riddled by the death of a classmate. If you had seen that you wouldn't say such naive things. If you think it was his first time drunk driving, guess again. I don't need to look to anyone else's reaction to make my decision- DRUNK DRIVING IS THE NUMBER ONE CAUSE OF TEEN DEATHS. Say that over and over.
Wow Don, you've been in the classroom tooooooo long. Time to get out and see the whole world in prospective. Yes you're right about Drunk Driving and I'm the first to take the keys or call the CHP if I see someone drunk and try to drive... However College age kids are apt to make mistakes and due to inexperience or their attitude 'it'll never happen to me' these things do happen. NOT GOOD BUT! the big picture is still what's most important... The Greater Good is to use this young man to show kids it's possible it can happen to you.

Nothing will bring back the young man's life, but trashing the drivers future will not help anyone either. Society does NOT need another listless loser with nothing to live for. Your attitude tells a lot about you. Sorry you are so unhappy. Maybe a new career would help you too. How about becoming a prison guard?
art new mexico

Santa Fe, NM

#36 Jan 31, 2010
it's a real and harsh world that we live in unfortuntally , this will happen again and again, there are no real answeres to the problem of drinking and driving, when drunk all reasioning goes out the window. education about drinking and driving will benefit those intelligent enough to absorb it , but there are those whom are to dumb to learn by education or by there own mistakes, therfore these individuals should have a very very harsh punishment, yes even the young and the first time offenders. it's just to big of risk to others to let these people have a chance to repeat their offence.
Chico Voter

United States

#37 Jan 31, 2010
ROFLMAO wrote:
All it takes is steady middle class cash flow.
Chico Voter

United States

#38 Jan 31, 2010
Magalia resident wrote:
<quoted text>
It IS an accident as long as it was not premeditated. Do you think this kid KNEW what was going to happen? Geez, do your homework before you spout off. If it had not been an accident he would have been charged with murder in the 1st degree, thats what premeditated means. He certainly didnt PLAN (premeditate) killing his friend, it was an ACCIDENT!
I'm sure that the victims family could care less if it was premeditated or an accident or not. The result is the same and the punishment should be accordingly.
Don

Chico, CA

#39 Jan 31, 2010
Chico No Mo - wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow Don, you've been in the classroom tooooooo long. Time to get out and see the whole world in prospective. Yes you're right about Drunk Driving and I'm the first to take the keys or call the CHP if I see someone drunk and try to drive... However College age kids are apt to make mistakes and due to inexperience or their attitude 'it'll never happen to me' these things do happen. NOT GOOD BUT! the big picture is still what's most important... The Greater Good is to use this young man to show kids it's possible it can happen to you.
Nothing will bring back the young man's life, but trashing the drivers future will not help anyone either. Society does NOT need another listless loser with nothing to live for. Your attitude tells a lot about you. Sorry you are so unhappy. Maybe a new career would help you too. How about becoming a prison guard?
You're the poster child for bigoted selfservice. Out of one side of your mouth you claim to have an understanding and militia zeal to stop drunk drivers because on that side of your mouth you see the danger. Then out of the other side of your mouth, you condemn that exact system that made laws against drunk driving and backed it up with jail sentences, parole officers, and counseling. But you, all on your own, have decided that sending this chap to schools to stand on the shoulders of a dead friend to serve his sentence is beneficial, NOT TO HIM< but to all the innocent kids who haven't driven drunk yet. You are a classic, and I'm glad your ludicrous opinions are right here where most affected kids won't read them.
dayve

Chico, CA

#40 Feb 2, 2010
Magalia resident wrote:
<quoted text>
By the response you gave your obviously smoking crack.... Theirs no race card or nothin like that its just facts.... The point is I didnt kill anybody and did more time then some stupid kid who DID kill somebody. Your obviously white thats why you think you have some sort of retarded opinion... keep it to yourself
Johnny

United States

#41 Feb 2, 2010
Magalia resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Getting drunk, driving drunk, knowing it's both reckless and illegal, is not an accident moron.
Don

Chico, CA

#42 Feb 2, 2010
Johnny wrote:
<quoted text>
Getting drunk, driving drunk, knowing it's both reckless and illegal, is not an accident moron.
Points well made.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oroville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man shot multiple times in Berry Creek a disputea Dec 5 tdrake 1
News More than 500 in Butte schools have pay and ben... Nov 21 Disproportionate 1
News Arrest made in transient stabbing in Chico (Nov '09) Nov 12 Reddic 30
News Council candidate Quintel wants to reduce busin... (Oct '10) Nov 11 TheKing 27
News Search teams look for at-risk Berry Creek man Nov 9 Rick 2
News Butte County jury convicts Vallejo man in home-... (Jun '08) Nov '16 Bouie sister 2
Need help identifying this Richvale family Oct '16 Terpy 1

Oroville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oroville Mortgages