Teen motorist sentenced for manslaughter

Full story: Chico Enterprise-Record

Decrying the rise of alcohol-related traffic fatalities among college students, a Butte County judge Thursday sentenced a teenage motorist who caused the death of his best friend to one year in jail.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of52
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
citizen

Manteca, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

"ordered to complete a residential alcohol treatment program."
The best part of it all. Jail doesn't solve anything. Treatment, rehab!
Don

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

What a travesty! He kills his best friend, who will be dead for approximately forever,and he gets one year! That should make the family of the dead boy feel a whole lot like he just popped back to life!
Now, the judge wants him to speak on local campuses! What if he was a child molester, would they want him on campuses. What makes these judges think that after you commit a crime you're suddenly qualified to speak to children? He should be FORBIDDEN from speaking to kids. I can see it now, this will be a water-cooler, "did you hear about...?"
Magalia resident

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

citizen wrote:
"ordered to complete a residential alcohol treatment program."
The best part of it all. Jail doesn't solve anything. Treatment, rehab!
Im going to have to disagree with you. Rehab and or treatment will NOT help unless the person wants to quit whatever it is they are doing. This is just so sad all around. Im sure the driver was not the only one drinking on that road trip. How is there any justice or closure in something like this? If you send the kid to jail it is not going to bring back his best freind but might end up screwing the kid up worse than he already is. HE has to live with the fact that HE was the driver and his friend died, I dont think he's going to get over that, ever. Obviosly neither will the parents of the boy killed but they dont seem to want this kid to go down, they want him to have a good life and succeed. They had 2 ways to go with it, either they forgive this kid or they ruin their own lives with pain and bitterness. I think they chose the right path. I agree with the judge, I want to see this kid do good and make changes. I want to see him talking to students at college. I can promise you there will not be one dry eye in the room when he's done telling a class full of people what its like to kill your best friend because of alcohol and bad decisions. If he saves even 1 life with his story that would be wonderful for someone else's parents and family, etc. These people seem to be paying forward, God bless them for being the good people they must be. On a different note, To the parents: Theres no way to say sorry adequately when something like this happens, my wish for you is that you grow stronger through this tragedy and find some peace. Your baby is still with you in your hearts and NO ONE can take that away from you. Try to remember the good with smiles, it will never be ok but it will get better over time (lots of it). I know its got to be hard but please keep trying to mentor this boy, losing 2 lives doesnt make anything better, it only makes 2 families broken. But doing something positive will help your family out in the long run.
My sincerest condolences.
ps, please dont think im excusing the drivers behavior, im not. He drank and drove with others in the car. He is without a doubt responsible, I just think something good might be able to come out of all this bad.
mike duncan

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

got off fairly easy if you ask me.
Chico No Mo -

Coos Bay, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

Don wrote:
What a travesty! He kills his best friend, who will be dead for approximately forever,and he gets one year! That should make the family of the dead boy feel a whole lot like he just popped back to life!
Now, the judge wants him to speak on local campuses! What if he was a child molester, would they want him on campuses. What makes these judges think that after you commit a crime you're suddenly qualified to speak to children? He should be FORBIDDEN from speaking to kids. I can see it now, this will be a water-cooler, "did you hear about...?"
Get a clue... Drunk driver = sex offender NOT!

This is a horrible incident that needs a positive result. Nothing will bring the boy back but by showing this example others may learn from it. Prison will NOT help the driver... but being an example may help bring his self worth back... He has to continue to live and as positive as possible.
methprevention

Paradise, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

Wish they prosecuted druggies who furnish or use prescription and or illicit drugs that kill college students in Butte County.

Law enforcement classified all seven of the last Butte County student drug overdoses as accidental. Really? Yes. So, no punishment to anyone.

In this case it surely was accidental because they were friends and the driver surely did not kill his friend intentionally. Then why the prosecution?

Why does Law Enforcement & the Penal system have such a double standard? Give a friend a pill that kills them, no crime. Give a friend a ride that kills them, manslaughter.

“What freedom REALLY is......”

Since: Jan 10

CyberSpace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

You think that one year in jail is his punishment? Are you kidding me? This young boy will have to live with this for the rest of his life. The emotional damage he has done to himself is far worse than jail time. He is 19 for crying out loud. Legal 'adult age' but still a very young person in his being. I'm in my 30's and I would have a VERY hard time living with myself if my inappropriate actions caused me to lose the life of my best friend. And then to speak out at schools is very humbling. I think he should do so for the rest of his life.

I don't know the entire story from the beginning, but wasn't the best friend WITH him? So the poor lad KNEW his friend was drunk driving? and he still got in the car? I would imagine the lads parents are not going to stone this boy too harshly. It's their responsibility to teach their young ones to NEVER get in the car with someone who has been drinking.

This is a tragedy all the way around. I pray the treatment program he goes to will be a respectable one.
Young and Restless

Redding, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

So only 19? One might wonder where they purchased the alcohol. Of course in a college town, or for that fact any town nearby, alcohol is practically sitting in everyone's kitchen! We will 'presume' also that everyone in that car was drinking, otherwise they might have been driving. But not to worry, in 5 or 10 years he will have driven his friend's memory to the back of the brain matter and will continue to live his life to the fullest, perhaps in an alcoholic fog because he 'can't forget' what he has done. Bah Humbug!
Curtis

Paradise, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

Don wrote:
Don, you should be FORBIDDEN from ever posting a comment on the internet. You are incapable having having an intelligent thought. This is why you will never be a judge.

This is a reasonable sentence for this young man. If he follows all of the judges direction he'll be able to turn his life around and perhaps give something back to make up for his mistakes.
dayve

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

thats what they get.... damb "gang bangers"
Ex Chico Resident

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

If you want to stop things like this from happening, jail time is not the answer. Tougher DUI punishment and more visable enforcement is.

Never have I heard of a young person saying, "Hey man I probably shouldn't drive because I might get in a wreak and kill someone..."

It is always:
"I can't drive right now dude, I'm gonna get pulled over, and I can't afford to have a DUI on my record."

Young people are FAMOUS for not thinking about consequences, and thinking they are INVINCIBLE.

Which is why even if this young man is made an "example of", it will keep happening, because no young person thinks it will happen to them (since they are all invincible).

Tougher punishment for DUI offenses and more enforcement are the main things that will get this to stop.
Blueeyes54

Corning, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Young people do not see that a motor vehicle is also a dangerous weapon besides a means of transportation. If their passenger is feeling afraid, then the driver needs to make a more mature decision and adjust their methods of driving.
Esther Parris

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

First of all who supplied a minor with alcohol, 19yrs old he new he was drinking under the age abd then to get behind the wheel with others that to me is two strikes.

I personally think he got off lucky, this is not consistent to the crime. Our judicial system sucks he got one year for murder. Time we got some new judges in this county.Hey stick ICE in there those natzi bastards will make em pay
Salazar

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Burp! Think with all the anti-drunk driving advertisement these blockheads would listen?

“Just using common sense”

Since: May 08

Oroville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

I hope this young man realizes what a break he's gotten and follows through with his promise to speak to others. Like a poster above said, "if he even saves just one life". I think it may carry more weight with people if the speaker is in their age range.
Sarah

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

A year? An ex-friend of mine did 3 months for killing 3 of our friends and you know what? He just went back to jail for blowing dirty (alcohol in his system) on his court ordered breathalyzer in his car. Clearly these sentences need to be stiffer.
Ex Chico Resident

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Brandy32 wrote:
I hope this young man realizes what a break he's gotten and follows through with his promise to speak to others. Like a poster above said, "if he even saves just one life". I think it may carry more weight with people if the speaker is in their age range.
He won't save lives by speaking to people, because young people think they are invincible. And they will think that it won't happen to them.

“Just using common sense”

Since: May 08

Oroville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Ex Chico Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
He won't save lives by speaking to people, because young people think they are invincible. And they will think that it won't happen to them.
I don't know that you could say that about every single young person, could you? That's a mighty broad brush to be painting with. If even one or two listen then that's one or two lives saved.
Chico Voter

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Judged:

Moral of the story; If you are going to murder somebody make sure that you do it while drunk and behind the wheel of a car.
Johnny

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

Low life drunk

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of52
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Oroville Discussions

Search the Oroville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 28 min Peter 200,243
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 11 hr PMS will get yeah 7,821
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 16 hr all doned in 4,864
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Sat The right is wrong 2,225
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Jul 11 This topics peaked 15,911
6,300 sign petition of support for Mendocino Co... Jul 5 Here Is One 1
City appoints new fire chief (Aug '09) Jun 24 Larry Lawrence 32
•••
•••
•••
•••

Oroville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Oroville People Search