Evacuees react to death of Concow resident in fire

Full story: Chico Enterprise-Record

The parking lots at Las Plumas High School were nearly full with RVs and cars; the school lawns were dotted with tents; and the gym was a hub of activity as fire evacuees from Concow, Yankee Hill, Paradise and ...

Comments (Page 4)

Showing posts 61 - 70 of70
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Aunt to Van West

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2008

ThePlague wrote:
sorry for your loss.
Thank you for your comment. Van's Mom is 86 years, when we were told yesterday, she remarked that no mother should have to bury her child.
Aunt to Van West

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2008

Brandy32 wrote:
I'm very sorry to hear that you knew him. I'm really very sorry about your loss.
I really wish I could erase that last post, and would like to apologize for the tactless and inappropriate joviality. I'm sincerely embarrassed by the rudeness of it. I did forget what thread I was on. If there is a moderator around could I get that erased?
Brandy32, you are under stress and I understand that any remarks made are an expression of that. I just wanted the people of Concow, to know that Van was a super guy, living his life as he thought was best for him. He is a perfect example of the 1960's he grew up in, a free spirit.
One Ticked Grandmother

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2008

Brandy32 wrote:
I'm very sorry to hear that you knew him. I'm really very sorry about your loss.
sorry doesn't make it better, brandy!

you might as well be cracking jokes at a funeral.

Shame on you!
Joe

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2008

wow, that was funny.
iluvmustangs

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2008

zak smith wrote:
Fact: the man who died was not alerted by authorities. Fact: by the time residents 1 mile past the deceased were notified the fire had already swept through his area. Fact fire fighters started the back blaze that swept through concow. FACT: ALL OF CONCOW HAS BURNED WHICH IS WAY MORE THAN 50 HOMES. FACT: The people of concow have already begun the process for a class action lawsuit against cal-fire. we will be compensated for their idiocy.
You gotta be kidding me. What? Did that fire "sneak" up on anyone? Fact: Where there is smoke, there's fire. When will personal responsibility finally take hold?
iluvmustangs

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2008

Judged:

zak smith wrote:
Fact: the man who died was not alerted by authorities. Fact: by the time residents 1 mile past the deceased were notified the fire had already swept through his area. Fact fire fighters started the back blaze that swept through concow. FACT: ALL OF CONCOW HAS BURNED WHICH IS WAY MORE THAN 50 HOMES. FACT: The people of concow have already begun the process for a class action lawsuit against cal-fire. we will be compensated for their idiocy.
Oh, one more thing. I grew up around that area and this doesn't surprise me from the sue-happy victims of Concow. While your at it why don't you sue The Almighty for starting the dang thing too?
Howard Neel

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2008

sandy hankins wrote:
how dare these residents that are being evacuateed be angry ! how selfishcan you get ! let these wonderful and very hard working firefighters do there job ! I'm sure they know what they are doing !If these selfish and rude people refuse to leave their homes, I will not feel sorry for them if they are injured or killed ! howard neel of yankee hill should be ashamed of himself ! What kind of lesson is he teaching his daughter ! show some respect Mr. Neel !
Dear Sandy. Where do you have the right to say anything about the fires in Yankeehill and Concow areas. I do not believe you have any idea just what the people up here have been through!!! You need to keep your mouth shut untill you have lived through what I have. To start with I have lost my own home in the POE FIRE!!! in 2001 DID YOU!!! it is hard enough to try to not remember that and try to live through another fire.I never said that I did not evacuate and that the firefighters did not do there jobs. In fact they did the most amazing job by getting the fire out. They are heros in my book and i do know that the job that they do is one of the most dangerious jobs. So Sandy when you get the knowledge on what you want to right about then do it and don't slander people that you don't know a thing about!!!!! You get the facts right and then you might have the brains and knowledge to be able to understand what the people of Concow and Yankeehill have been throught. So get out of my grill!!!!
bill

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2009

lets sue cal fire they could have stopped the fire if the able people of concow weren't 'kicked' out we could have done it ourselves civil suit f@#$k cal-fire lets take their budget
Jim

Oroville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

sandy hankins wrote:
how dare these residents that are being evacuateed be angry ! how selfishcan you get ! let these wonderful and very hard working firefighters do there job ! I'm sure they know what they are doing !If these selfish and rude people refuse to leave their homes, I will not feel sorry for them if they are injured or killed ! howard neel of yankee hill should be ashamed of himself ! What kind of lesson is he teaching his daughter ! show some respect Mr. Neel !
These wonderful and hard working firefighters burned my house down bitch, you don't know what you're talking about.
Jim

Oroville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Erok wrote:
<quoted text>
Please read Field Observers reply to Mr. Nemechek.
AIR TANKERS DON'T PUT OUT LARGE FIRES! They only slow them down so that ground-based firefighters like myself can more safely get in and actually put a line around the fire. Without firefighters on the ground, fires just creep underneath the retardant and start back up on the other side of the drop.
Ed Nemechek, you are spreading misinformation. There is no technological solution that will put out 100% of the fires that California gets. With over 2,000 starts, lack of intel on the locations of many of the new fires, heavy smoke inversions, and hot weather, there was no way to catch all of the fires that resulted from this major - but not un-precedented - lightning bust.
California is fire country. Living in the wildlands requires us to take responsibility for the fact that we have always had fires in California's brushlands, and will continue to have fires. The more effective we have become at putting them out, the fiercer the conditions under which they escape our control.
Suing CalFire and the USFS to force them to do something that is based on the fantasy that we can suppress all fires is ridiculous idea. A 747 costs something like $90,000 an hour to operate. Seems to me that $90,000 could pay for a whole lot of brush-thinning.
Technology is not the answer. A fire management strategy that focuses on Night-vision helicopters, Supertankers, and 1,000 new Type I Engines will only worsen the disconnect between people and the landscapes that they live in.
Attempting to provide an urban-level of fire protection to people that build houses in the chaparral encourages development of places that are unsafe places to fight fire. This puts civilians and people like myself in unnecessary danger.
As a firefighter who has seen first-hand what happens to homes that we cannot safely engage the fire around (due to lack of clearance, or location on an unsafe, brushy slope) I will tell you that there is no way that any night-vision Jumbo-Jet is going to make me feel any more comfortable about being out on some overgrown road, midslope road, on a 100 degree day, in front of a wind and slope-driven wildfire.
I feel for my friends in Concow who have lost their childhood homes.
That's Bull! When I was running from the fire in Concow, I passed the staging area for Calfire. While everyone was just standing around,(kinda like caltrans... hmmmm) I stopped and told them that homes were on fire. One firemans reply was uh huh. Don't sit there and lie and make excuses for not doing your job. Calfire doesn't go on strike, they just let our resourses burn.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 70 of70
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Oroville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Oroville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••